PDA

View Full Version : Mullen is not getting fired until at least after 2016.....

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 01:54 PM
You guys may as well hang up the Fire Mullen talk. I'm not saying whether it's deserved or not, because that's irrelevant. It's just not happening. He'll have to go 3-9 this year to be fired. I don't think 4-8 does it. But let's be realistic, we aren't going 3-9 or 4-8. We are likely going to win anywhere between 5 and 7 games. We're not that bad of a team, some of you just cannot see that. So I'll have to deal with facts. So OK, 5-7 minimum in 2013.

Now, on to 2014. You guys have seen the schedule. We'll be bowling in 2014 for sure. And you can't fire an MSU coach who takes you to a bowl. Just can't do it.

Now, on to 2015. IF we lose to Ole Miss at the end of 2014 and/or lose the bowl sort of like 2012, Mullen may be on the warm seat in 2015. If he loses to USM, it gets ramped up even more. But I don't see these things happening with the talent he's bringing in. We'll have Ole Miss at home and 3 OOC wins in addition to @ USM (the OOC sked this year will be easy as well). I don't see how we tank this year seeing how Prescott will be a senior, he's a Mullen guy, etc. but I guess it's possible if we screw around in Hattiesburg. Monken will be in his 3rd year and you better believe that game will be their Super Bowl. Thanks Byrne.

Now, if we have a losing season in 2015 and Prescott flames out (possibly due to our 2014 class of JUCO OL being shitty), Mullen's on the hotseat. If he loses in 2016, he's out.

There you have it. If you guys want to get rid of Mullen before 2016, your best chance of it is for him to win and leave, rather than lose and be fired. So you may as well get behind the damn team and quit your bitching.

bluelightstar
10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
That empty stadium is going to force somebody's hand well before 2016.

Jack Lambert
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
That empty stadium is going to force somebody's hand well before 2016.

Have you stop going to game or have you even been to one?

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 02:15 PM
We had like 2000 straight sell-outs. Quit being stupid. As documented numerous times, students leaving early is not a problem unique to Mississippi State.

ckDOG
10-23-2013, 02:20 PM
You are very likely correct. Unless, he's pissed off the money guys. In that case, anyone is fair game to be fired. Given our well-documented history of firing coaches well after they deserve to be, I'm going to prepare myself for several very mediocre seasons before anyone solidifies the fire Mullen movement. We just don't make quick firing decisions at Mississippi State.

cheewgumm
10-23-2013, 02:22 PM
This is why everyone should be against the 4 cupcake approach to scheduling.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
We fired Croom one year after winning Coach of the Year. We aren't scared. And no, it wasn't all Greg Byrne.

I personally don't think Mullen will perform bad enough to get fired until 2016, and even then that would take some bad luck (JUCO OL not panning out, Prescott continues the QB curse, Ole Miss stays good, etc.).

ckDOG
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
We fired Croom one year after winning Coach of the Year. We aren't scared. And no, it wasn't all Greg Byrne.
I personally don't think Mullen will perform bad enough to get fired until 2016, and even then that would take some bad luck (JUCO OL not panning out, Prescott continues the QB curse, Ole Miss stays good, etc.).

Eh, Coach of the Year is a little misleading. 4 of his 5 seasons were very very very bad.

Political Hack
10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
this is obviously personal conjecture and not based on what's been going on behind closed doors in the Bryan building.

If he makes it until December, I'll be happy.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I understand your viewpoint. I can't say I fully agree but either way it will be interesting if he doesn't take care of business and leaves it up to chance.

Political Hack
10-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I hope we don't get to find out!

Dawg Tired
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
You are very likely correct. Unless, he's pissed off the money guys. In that case, anyone is fair game to be fired. Given our well-documented history of firing coaches well after they deserve to be, I'm going to prepare myself for several very mediocre seasons before anyone solidifies the fire Mullen movement. We just don't make quick firing decisions at Mississippi State.

NM

Johnson85
10-23-2013, 05:53 PM
We are likely going to win anywhere between 5 and 7 games. We're not that bad of a team, some of you just cannot see that.

If we win 6 games, that will mean he has beaten either USCe, A&M, or UM, and that will be decent performance. Still frustrating that we shit the bed against Ok St. and let one get away against Auburn, but he will have at least had a team show up and compete in one out of the six winnable but not gimme games. If he gets to 7, he will have actually gotten some momentum, and I would hope nobody would be bitching.

Everybody bitching about Mullen is looking at 5-7 being the rosy scenario, where our most impressive win is either Bowling Green, Arkansas, or Kentucky, with us not pulling out a single game out of the six swing games, with three of those games being evenly matched talent wise.