PDA

View Full Version : 3 seed vs. 6 seed

dantheman4248
05-27-2019, 04:59 PM
There?s a whole lot of whining going on about how we ?dropped? 3 spots because of a ?poor? showing (read: one bad game against LSU) in the SEC tournament.

Tell me, would you be happy if the bracket read: GT #6, UNC #11, Stanford #14, MSU #3, and kept those 4 regionals in tact? Matter of fact, if you read it blind of numbers... wouldn?t you read it as MSU being the #3 overall seed in the tourney instead of Georgia Tech?

Ok then. Calm down and stop freaking out over numbers. Do you really think that they could get away with 3 SEC teams being in the top 4? I know that UCLA is the only non-SEC team that deserves top five ranking at this point, so the committee went with the smart move and made it look politically correct to the people outside the SEC. It really feels like we?re actually the 3 seed in the tournament in everything but name. Ahead of both Arkansas and Georgia like people are whining about. I would much rather be in our slot than Georgia or Arkansas?s. And I?m extremely glad we aren?t on the UCLA side of the bracket.

Maybe think a little bit before screaming that the committee screwed us and showed no respect. They couldn?t make 3 of the top 4 seeds be one conference like their setup probably spit out. So they fudged the #s around to make it show GT as 3 and us as 6 to quell SEC bias.

basedog
05-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Interesting.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 05:16 PM
I'll answer your question in a couple weeks. The whining over seeding (I really don't care about as long as we're top 8) isn't any worse than pronouncing our path to the cws as some sort of sure thing

dantheman4248
05-27-2019, 05:31 PM
I'll answer your question in a couple weeks. The whining over seeding (I really don't care about as long as we're top 8) isn't any worse than pronouncing our path to the cws as some sort of sure thing

Oh it’s by no means a sure thing. But as of right now we look like we got treated as the #3 seed in the country in everything but name.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Oh it’s by no means a sure thing. But as of right now we look like we got treated as the #3 seed in the country in everything but name.

I think the draw is favorable to us for sure, which kinda worries me haha

Covercorner2
05-27-2019, 05:54 PM
I think the draw is favorable to us for sure, which kinda worries me haha

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-analysis/

msstate7
05-27-2019, 05:59 PM
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-analysis/

Like I said, I like the draw. If the pearl river resort gave me a comp $10,000 bet on 1 team to make the cws in our pod, I'm betting it on us

dantheman4248
05-27-2019, 06:22 PM
I love our draw in both the regional and super regional.

Regional wise, we could definitely put Plumlee out there game 1 and be fine against Southern. Miami is thin on pitching and hasn’t won a series away from home against anyone notable. CMU is “hot” but against terrible competition. Given a win vs. Southern, gives us a favorable game 2 either way imo. Even if we start Ethan game 1. Really the way the pithing matchups fall either way, I feel extremely confident in our team to go 3-0 this weekend.

As for the other pod. I love that it is one of the most difficult in the tourney. Think it’s 3 top25 teams by D1’s metric. All of them should give each other hell. But, none of them scare me in a 3 game series.

shoeless joe
05-27-2019, 06:38 PM
I didn?t see the announcement show or get in here before I looked at the official NCAA bracket. It didn?t show the seedlings but I figgered UCLA and Vandy were 1 and 2. But when I saw the draw I did exactly what you?re saying. Assumed we were the 3 and GT the 6

WSOPdawg
05-27-2019, 07:15 PM
There?s a whole lot of whining going on about how we ?dropped? 3 spots because of a ?poor? showing (read: one bad game against LSU) in the SEC tournament.

Tell me, would you be happy if the bracket read: GT #6, UNC #11, Stanford #14, MSU #3, and kept those 4 regionals in tact? Matter of fact, if you read it blind of numbers... wouldn?t you read it as MSU being the #3 overall seed in the tourney instead of Georgia Tech?

Ok then. Calm down and stop freaking out over numbers. Do you really think that they could get away with 3 SEC teams being in the top 4? I know that UCLA is the only non-SEC team that deserves top five ranking at this point, so the committee went with the smart move and made it look politically correct to the people outside the SEC. It really feels like we?re actually the 3 seed in the tournament in everything but name. Ahead of both Arkansas and Georgia like people are whining about. I would much rather be in our slot than Georgia or Arkansas?s. And I?m extremely glad we aren?t on the UCLA side of the bracket.

Maybe think a little bit before screaming that the committee screwed us and showed no respect. They couldn?t make 3 of the top 4 seeds be one conference like their setup probably spit out. So they fudged the #s around to make it show GT as 3 and us as 6 to quell SEC bias.

^^^^^^^ Dan get it. Have some rep. Too many positives in this statement. Very few 4-team regionals more favorable than ours.

sleepy dawg
05-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Miami is very good and one of the best 2 seeds in the tournament. 39-18 and 18-12 in ACC. They're 17 in RPI and 14 in ELO. They are better than some host teams.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Miami is very good and one of the best 2 seeds in the tournament. 39-18 and 18-12 in ACC. They're 17 in RPI and 14 in ELO. They are better than some host teams.

What is the ELO metric?

Quaoarsking
05-27-2019, 08:09 PM
What is the ELO metric?

A chess rating system that's sometimes applied to sports:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

MarketingBully
05-27-2019, 08:23 PM

Agreed. We shouldn’t of gotten a Miami as our 2 seed.

GreenheadDawg
05-27-2019, 08:39 PM

If we can’t beat Miami we weren’t making it out of the super anyway. We have beaten better teams.

Marvin
05-27-2019, 08:47 PM
Agreed. We shouldn’t of gotten a Miami as our 2 seed.

With the gift of the SWAC our matchup vs Miami will be favored around the same as a lower tier 2 seed since we get to rest Ethan Small and likely face their #2.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 08:50 PM
With the gift of the SWAC our matchup vs Miami will be favored around the same as a lower tier 2 seed since we get to rest Ethan Small and likely face their #2.

Good point. A really easy 4 and a strong 2 may be more of an advance than a strong 4 and a weak 2 when you have a true ace

basedog
05-27-2019, 09:24 PM
If we can’t beat Miami we weren’t making it out of the super anyway. We have beaten better teams.

Exactly. We are the better club.

sleepy dawg
05-28-2019, 09:13 AM
If we can?t beat Miami we weren?t making it out of the super anyway. We have beaten better teams.

...And we've lost to worse teams, that's baseball. Sure we're the better team, but the better team doesn't always win. I'd rather be way better than a little better. And we could also lose to Miami and still win the whole thing.

Dawg2003
05-28-2019, 09:15 AM
The thing about the NCAA Tournament is that it doesn't measure how good of a team you are on average. It just measures how good you are that day, which can be frustrating because it's not necessarily a reflection of who you as a team.

Scared_Hitless
05-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Honestly I like the Draw, we get to hold Small for a day and that sets us up very well to start 2-0. Also being paired with Stanford for Omaha is a dream come true.

sleepy dawg
05-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Honestly I like the Draw, we get to hold Small for a day and that sets us up very well to start 2-0. Also being paired with Stanford for Omaha is a dream come true.

If I was on the committee, Stanford would've been a borderline national seed. They are very good.