PDA

View Full Version : Lesson for today boys and girls...

Leeshouldveflanked
05-27-2019, 11:49 AM
The SEC Tournament matters.

MarketingBully
05-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Yep.

Saltydog
05-27-2019, 11:52 AM
As I said earlier, some years it does and some years it doesn't. Just depends on who it is and how they match it up so the SEC cannot dominate the field. That's it in a nutshell. No way in hell GT and Upig should've been ahead of us. UGA I could possibly see but the others leave me SMH.

MarketingBully
05-27-2019, 11:54 AM
As I said earlier, some years it does and some years it doesn't. Just depends on who it is and how they match it up so the SEC cannot dominate the field. That's it in a nutshell. No way in hell GT and Upig should've been ahead of us. UGA I could possibly see but the others leave me SMH.

We picked the year to look like shit when it mattered.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-27-2019, 11:57 AM
We picked the year to look like shit when it mattered.
Maybe it mattered because we looked like shit

MetEdDawg
05-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Lessons for today really is that the NCAA doesn't want one conference to dominate. 5 potential 1 seed super regional games between same conference teams. LSU and OM both overseesed and they did that on purpose. Same for UCLA and Oregon State

Cooterpoot
05-27-2019, 12:41 PM
It really didn’t matter.

Dawg2003
05-27-2019, 12:53 PM
The lesson is that maybe the committee never saw us as a 3 seed. The idea that the SEC Tournament mattered is based on the assumption that we were a 3 seed in the committee's eyes going into the tournament.

Maroonthirteen
05-27-2019, 12:57 PM
It really didn’t matter.

For real, regardless of our seed number, we have a great draw.

PMDawg
05-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Why don't y'all cry some?

Dawg61
05-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Bracket looks favorable to me. Our Omaha side is easier too imo.

hopsondawg22
05-27-2019, 02:38 PM

You know a bulldog can never be happy. Always gonna find something to bitch about.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2019, 02:45 PM

so does non-conference SOS. Fortunately we won 20 SEC games and beat East Carolina and Texas Tech. Number 6 national seed is a great year.

maroonmania
05-27-2019, 03:00 PM

I don't see anyone crying. In fact, most MSU fans appear to be very happy with our draw. I know I am. HOWEVER, to the OP's point, at least for this year the SEC tournament absolutely mattered. I do think we got bumped down a spot or two for losing 3 of our last 4 games (2 of those in the SEC tourney). And the ONLY justification for jumping OM up to the overall #12 seed is the SEC tournament. Heck, that's only 6 spots below us and is a spot above LSU who everyone thought they were behind going into the SEC tournament. Personally, I think OM going from a team almost assuredly not hosting to a national 12 seed over a few games in Hoover is ridiculous but the tournament definitely gave both OM and LSU hosting opportunities. I wasn't scared of playing another SEC team in a Super but I do like being able to play teams that aren't familiar with us to get to Omaha. I think Dudy Noble will be more intimidating to a team that hasn't played there before.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Are we not a top 8 seed? Too many candy asses.

Homedawg
05-27-2019, 04:01 PM
For real, regardless of our seed number, we have a great draw.

Yep. That's all that matters.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 04:09 PM
It really didn’t matter.

So LSU and om were hosting regardless? Om was 1-7 in their last 8 regular season games

Quaoarsking
05-27-2019, 04:19 PM
It does matter, but not enough to drop 3 spots for going 1-2 all against other hosts. It matters in the sense that it affects RPIs and overall resumes, but it's just more games. Nothing special or extra.

Cooterpoot
05-27-2019, 04:48 PM
So LSU and om were hosting regardless? Om was 1-7 in their last 8 regular season games

And it always matters for teams like that on the bubble. We were never the 3 or 4 seed. Just because D1 says so doesn’t mean jack.

Todd4State
05-27-2019, 04:51 PM
My guess is we get dinged a little bit because of our SOS and playing five SWAC schools. No one is going to get hurt by splitting with LSU and losing to Vanderbilt at a neutral site.

Now obviously we did enough to still be a National Seed and that is what matters the most at the moment along with a good draw.

But going forward we need to cut out a few of the SWAC games. I'd start by playing someone in Biloxi and USM in Pearl.

Todd4State
05-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Decent chance LSU was hosting regardless because they are LSU.

Ole Miss did need a run to host.

But that's irrelevant to us because we were going to be a National Seed anyway.

msstate7
05-27-2019, 05:07 PM
And it always matters for teams like that on the bubble. We were never the 3 or 4 seed. Just because D1 says so doesn’t mean jack.

Well that isn't what you said... you said it doesn't matter. Would we be the 6-seed if we won the tourney?

I'm happy with our draw, so I'm fine with how it worked out, but it does matter

Commercecomet24
05-27-2019, 05:30 PM
My guess is we get dinged a little bit because of our SOS and playing five SWAC schools. No one is going to get hurt by splitting with LSU and losing to Vanderbilt at a neutral site.

Now obviously we did enough to still be a National Seed and that is what matters the most at the moment along with a good draw.

But going forward we need to cut out a few of the SWAC games. I'd start by playing someone in Biloxi and USM in Pearl.

Agree completely

Commercecomet24
05-27-2019, 05:32 PM
I said it before the sect started. The tournament matters to the teams on the bubble or those trying to host, not so much for those that are locks as hosts or national seeds.

Liverpooldawg
05-27-2019, 05:44 PM
The real lesson for today is the committee did us a favor. No SEC team till at least the second game in Omaha. WE have to take care of business, but that's on us. Y'all need to quit whining. It's embarrassing.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2019, 06:06 PM
The real lesson for today is the committee did us a favor. No SEC team till at least the second game in Omaha. WE have to take care of business, but that's on us. Y'all need to quit whining. It's embarrassing.

Liver gets it. The committee showed us respect today with the draw we got, now it's up to us to get it done.

RougeDawg
05-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Speaking of playing Friday, how are we health wise? Is Mac going to be back? Will he be 80%? He was huge in the run last year.

Homedawg
05-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Speaking of playing Friday, how are we health wise? Is Mac going to be back? Will he be 80%? He was huge in the run last year.

I'm not counting on him playing. If he does it's a bonus.

99jc
05-27-2019, 07:41 PM
This thread is 17ing stupid. No the tourney did not matter this year to us. Were a national seed and that's all I wanted. to hell with the SEC tourney. Omaha is the destination with a national championship not Hoover.

maroonmania
05-27-2019, 08:52 PM
I said it before the sect started. The tournament matters to the teams on the bubble or those trying to host, not so much for those that are locks as hosts or national seeds.

I'm just glad we went into the SEC tourney with a little bit of cushion as far as national seed status went. Based on what I saw with the committee results, had we been right at the 7-8 seed line going into the SEC tourney and had the same results, I don't know that we would have held onto being a national seed.

Cooterpoot
05-27-2019, 09:08 PM
I mean, the committee said they went off of SOS. That tournament had nothing to do with us.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2019, 10:36 PM
I mean, the committee said they went off of SOS. That tournament had nothing to do with us.

This!

Todd4State
05-27-2019, 11:20 PM
I'm just glad we went into the SEC tourney with a little bit of cushion as far as national seed status went. Based on what I saw with the committee results, had we been right at the 7-8 seed line going into the SEC tourney and had the same results, I don't know that we would have held onto being a national seed.

It does appear to be political though on the surface. We're a sixth seed officially but our draw looks more like a three or four.

Can't have the SEC winning everything I guess.**

SheltonChoked
05-28-2019, 03:30 PM

Does it?

Put another way, Outside of being a top 8 Seed, does it matter the ranking? Or is it the matchups?

Would you swap us with GT? (Baseball america has Coastal Carolina ranked the most dangerous 3 seed, and calls ours the easiest region)

Do you think, that maybe, since the NCAA gets the Gate, they want LSU, MSU , and Ole Miss to host?

And they want to try and avoid an all one conference (SEC, ACC, or PAC12) final?

And thanks to our exit, we get a week of rest before the grind?

Commercecomet24
05-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Does it?

Put another way, Outside of being a top 8 Seed, does it matter the ranking? Or is it the matchups?

Would you swap us with GT? (Baseball america has Coastal Carolina ranked the most dangerous 3 seed, and calls ours the easiest region)

Do you think, that maybe, since the NCAA gets the Gate, they want LSU, MSU , and Ole Miss to host?

And they want to try and avoid an all one conference (SEC, ACC, or PAC12) final?

This in a nutshell. Well put.

Lord McBuckethead
05-28-2019, 04:07 PM

I would put Ark over us, but not GA.

Lord McBuckethead
05-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Does it?

Agree 100%