2. Tanner Allen
3. Skelton
4. Foscue
5. MacNamee- and yes I think he will play
6. Rowdey
7. Westburg
8. Hancock
9. Gilbert

I'd consider flipping Westburg and Skelton. With Foscue behind him and guys like Jake and Tanner that can get on base I think it may open up some possibilities to do some things on the bases like hit and runs and things like that where he may be able to see some pitches to hit. Same idea with Rowdey in front of him. He's a fast runner that I'd like to see us use more in the running game.

As far as the pitcher- this is a discussion every time we're in a regional so I'll start it this year- I think if you feel like you beat the four with your third guy you do it. If not you go with your ace. It all depends on the match up. Ideally I would like to save Small for Saturday but we'll see if we are able to do that. We are set up either way because Plumlee only threw one inning in the SEC Tournament and Small should also be ready to go as well. In a perfect world that sets up for Ginn in the championship game or in an imperfect world an elimination game. Then if we have to play a fourth game we go with Smith.

As far as the bullpen- I trust Colby White, Cole Gordon, Leibelt, Barlow and now Cerentola. We also have some veterans like Self and Keegan who have pitched in big games before as well for us and Keegan did look a little better against LSU.

Also a heads up to people because I got burned on this a few years ago- traditionally under Polk we played the night game of the regional. Under Cohen we switched to the first game- meaning we may be playing during the day. No idea what Lemonis would want to do. To be safe if I was planning on going I would just take off work Friday to allow for some flexibility.

confucius say
05-26-2019, 08:56 AM
You trust Barlow? I trust his stuff, but he hasn't located well at all the last month. I guess he and Eagan are our only lefty matchup option though, so going to need them

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2019, 10:40 AM
Barlow, Self, and Cerantola no way, no way with the season on the line. Not sure about KJ, seems ok in clean inning starts from the pen.

Barlow's currently just throws a wild pitch and then walks the Lefty he was supposed to get out.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Brandon Smith has to be in the mix unless you are trying to save him as your 4th starter.

Nothing against Hancock at all, but no way he's my DH over Landon Jordan.

AlSwearengen
05-26-2019, 11:31 AM
It is risky, but I might try Tanner in the 2 hole and Westburg in the 3 hole with Foscue at 4. If Jake can break out and Tanner keeps hitting, there would be people on base a good bit and that has to help Westburg get better pitches to hit. Jake’s speed alone should help Westburg see fewer sliders in the dirt. And of course, Foscue has been good enough all year to act as protection for Westburg.

Jordan is in the worst kind of slump. Swinging at sliders in the dirt, watching fastballs down the middle, and popping up fastballs when he does go after them.

I have repeated a lot of what you said, but I definitely think you are on to something with Tanner in the 2 hole.

StarkVegasSteve
05-26-2019, 11:35 AM
1. Mangum
2. Tanner Allen
3. Skelton
4. Foscue
5. MacNamee- and yes I think he will play
6. Rowdey
7. Westburg
8. Hancock
9. Gilbert

I'd consider flipping Westburg and Skelton. With Foscue behind him and guys like Jake and Tanner that can get on base I think it may open up some possibilities to do some things on the bases like hit and runs and things like that where he may be able to see some pitches to hit. Same idea with Rowdey in front of him. He's a fast runner that I'd like to see us use more in the running game.

As far as the pitcher- this is a discussion every time we're in a regional so I'll start it this year- I think if you feel like you beat the four with your third guy you do it. If not you go with your ace. It all depends on the match up. Ideally I would like to save Small for Saturday but we'll see if we are able to do that. We are set up either way because Plumlee only threw one inning in the SEC Tournament and Small should also be ready to go as well. In a perfect world that sets up for Ginn in the championship game or in an imperfect world an elimination game. Then if we have to play a fourth game we go with Smith.

As far as the bullpen- I trust Colby White, Cole Gordon, Leibelt, Barlow and now Cerentola. We also have some veterans like Self and Keegan who have pitched in big games before as well for us and Keegan did look a little better against LSU.

Also a heads up to people because I got burned on this a few years ago- traditionally under Polk we played the night game of the regional. Under Cohen we switched to the first game- meaning we may be playing during the day. No idea what Lemonis would want to do. To be safe if I was planning on going I would just take off work Friday to allow for some flexibility.

I don't know that I trust Cerentola just yet. I absolutely do not trust Barlow. Everything he throws is low and away. Riley is good for one inning, two innings max and if Keegan is on then he's good for one time through the lineup. Our bullpen is still shaky at best if we get in trouble and need a long reliever. If we can get to the back end though we're fine. Cole has pitched in plenty of big situations so I don't worry about the moment being too big for him.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2019, 11:49 AM
If I was going to shake up the batting order, I would go:

1. Mangum
2. Allen
3. Foscue
4. Mac
5. Skelton
6. Rowdey
7. Westburg
8. Landon Jordan
9. Gilbert

bulldogcountry1
05-26-2019, 03:05 PM
No way Barlow should pitch if the game is on the line.

Hambone
05-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Agreed, what has Barlow shown in the last 4 outings?

Cooterpoot
05-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Mangum, Westburg, Liebelt, and Barlow have all slumped late. The pen is what it is at this point. Get Mac back and get Mangum and Westburg rolling again.

Todd4State
05-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Ok- I'm going to retract what I said about Barlow. I still think I'd be OK with him facing one LH batter though.

NCDawg
05-26-2019, 04:51 PM
You trust Barlow? I trust his stuff, but he hasn't located well at all the last month. I guess he and Eagan are our only lefty matchup option though, so going to need them

Both lefthanders have a hard time throwing strikes. Taking a big chance putting either one of them in.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2019, 05:42 PM
You only need 8 pitchers to win a regional and a super regional.

1. Small 2. Ginn 3. Plumlee 4. Liebelt 5. Brandon Smith 6. Colby White 7. Cole Gordon 8. K. James

Then you have Barlow for certain situations. Going to be hard to throw Cerantola in high leverage situations. So pretty much those 8/9 guys.

Todd4State
05-26-2019, 06:22 PM

1. Small 2. Ginn 3. Plumlee 4. Liebelt 5. Brandon Smith 6. Colby White 7. Cole Gordon 8. K. James

Then you have Barlow for certain situations. Going to be hard to throw Cerantola in high leverage situations. So pretty much those 8/9 guys.

Right now I trust Cerentola more than Keegan.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2019, 07:14 PM

I love Cerantola, but he hasn't pitched in a meaningful situation all year. That's why I posted what I did last night about our coaches not getting him more game work. If we had found an inning for him here and there the last 3 weeks we could have pitched him in a regional. If we pitch him now, it's a complete crap shoot.

Steakonastick
05-26-2019, 09:01 PM
We will be the night game. Cohen picked the day game in 16 because of the forecast. And he guessed right their was a rain delay between cal state and la tech.

Homedawg
05-26-2019, 09:03 PM

I don't rust Keegan. But I damn sure don't trust EC either. He's had one good outing in 2 months.

Homedawg
05-26-2019, 09:05 PM
We will be the night game. Cohen picked the day game in 16 because of the forecast. And he guessed right their was a rain delay between cal state and la tech.

Youre wrong on why Cohen picked the night game and more wrong that we are playing at night this year. We are the afternoon game per 3 staff members.

bulldogcountry1
05-26-2019, 09:41 PM
I don't rust Keegan. But I damn sure don't trust EC either. He's had one good outing in 2 months.

With James, you know he's going miss big on a lot of pitches and then get hit hard when he does throw it over the plate. He's not going to come in and dominate. It's about the same with Barlow. He's going to miss badly and throw a couple to the backstop. At least there's a chance Cerantola can look dominant.

Homedawg
05-26-2019, 10:09 PM
With James, you know he's going miss big on a lot of pitches and then get hit hard when he does throw it over the plate. He's not going to come in and dominate. It's about the same with Barlow. He's going to miss badly and throw a couple to the backstop. At least there's a chance Cerantola can look dominant.

I never said he couldn't dominate. He's got a chance to be really good. But he also has the chance to be the same guy he was the last 4 outings prior. And never throw strikes. I don't trust him. And one outing doesn't earn trust. That's all

KOdawg1
05-26-2019, 10:34 PM
If I was going to shake up the batting order, I would go:

1. Mangum
2. Allen
3. Foscue
4. Mac
5. Skelton
6. Rowdey
7. Westburg
8. Landon Jordan
9. Gilbert
This would be my line-up as well

HoopsDawg
05-26-2019, 11:04 PM
I never said he couldn't dominate. He's got a chance to be really good. But he also has the chance to be the same guy he was the last 4 outings prior. And never throw strikes. I don't trust him. And one outing doesn't earn trust. That's all

To be fair, Before LSU, he pitched 1 inning vs South Carolina and struck out the side. The problem is he went 6 weeks without pitching in a game after 3 bad performances.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2019, 01:42 AM

Yep, but I only trust 7 of your 8. Keegan James and Riley Self should not see the mound anymore this year unless we are up 10 runs late, or if we're down 15 runs with only a few at bats left and more games to play. I will question our coaching staff's sanity if they run either of those two guys out there in Regionals or beyond unless we are slap out of pitching.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2019, 01:48 AM
My lineup would be....

Mangum
Allen
Macnamee
Foscue
Skelton
Rowdey
Westburg
Gilbert
Landon Jordan

I like the idea of Gilbert getting on base and then having a guy that can move him over and/or provide some speed just ahead of Mangum. Not to mention Jordan has a good eye, so he could provide somewhat of a traditional Leadoff guy in the later innings potentially just ahead of Jake