PDA

View Full Version : Moment of truth for those that want Hud - Do you want him bad enough to lose Egg Bowl

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Because that is the only way it will happen.

There is just no way Strick fires Mullen if he beats the bears, even at 5-7. Just no way.

The only way he fires him is if he goes 5-7 with a blowout loss to the bears.

Do you really want Hud that bad to sit through a 2008 or 2012 level beat down to bucky and watch the bears get to probably 8 wins and a decent bowl?

Are you that committed to Hud, because that is what it would take. Im not there, and I like Hud a lot, but I can't stomach a loss to those shitbirds in our house.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Do we want to lose the Egg Bowl? **** no.
Do we see us losing the Egg Bowl? Yes

darkhorse
10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
[REDACTED]

Political Hack
10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
MSU > any coach. Period.

So, no. Never.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Do we want to lose the Egg Bowl? **** no.
Do we see us losing the Egg Bowl? Yes

Yeah but if losing the EB guaranteed you Hud - would you actually be able to be pissed off if we lost. Would you actually be able to be happy that Team Lacoste beat our brains in?

This is not easy to do. Even when I hated Stans I couldn't root against the team because I wanted him fired. I just couldn't do it.

This is the situation Im asking, because if you want MSU to win, then you don't want Hud to be hired this year. Or at least you don't want him that bad.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
news flash: he could lose out and he will still be here next year

bluelightstar
10-23-2013, 01:06 PM

We deserve what we get for keeping a 3-9 football coach.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah but if losing the EB guaranteed you Hud - would you actually be able to be pissed off if we lost. Would you actually be able to be happy that Team Lacoste beat our brains in?

This is not easy to do. Even when I hated Stans I couldn't root against the team because I wanted him fired. I just couldn't do it.

This is the situation Im asking, because if you want MSU to win, then you don't want Hud to be hired this year. Or at least you don't want him that bad.

I think what everyone really wants is for Mullen to win 4 of our last 6 games and get some positive momentum rolling. 2014 is a perfect schedule for us and we only lose 1 key player. But if he doesn't, make a change. No need to throw around silly hypotheticals.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2013, 01:10 PM

I don't think so. Not the way he recruits.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
MSU > any coach. Period.

So, no. Never.

I understand the thinking, but think about a team like Bama - getting their shit pushed in by AU for all those years - if Shula beats Tubby in 06, he keeps his job potentially.

Its kind of like tanking for Lebron or Luck. Sure its messy, but at the end of the day its what is necessary for the betterment of MSU.

Im personally not there yet, because I think CDM can still win at least 3 games this year.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Totally disagree. If he loses out, he is done. Its not even a question in my mind.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Totally disagree. If he loses out, he is done. Its not even a question in my mind.

I get the feeling it's not a question in Stricklands mind either ... this would cause too much controversy, firing him after a 3 bowl run in 6 years and winning 4 of the last 6 egg bowls .... like it or not - administrators think differently than we do

ckDOG
10-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Hellllllllllllll no. Beat them.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I get the feeling it's not a question in Stricklands mind either ... this would cause too much controversy, firing him after a 3 bowl run in 6 years and winning 4 of the last 6 egg bowls .... like it or not - administrators think differently than we do

You know his name is Stricklin right?

Dawgface
10-23-2013, 01:41 PM
No.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
thanks ... not that there's anything wrong with that

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Firing Stans was a pretty big controversy too. He fired the all-time winningest coach in our history, in a year in which he won 20+ games. I don't really understand this sentiment that Stricklin will not fire Mullen if he goes 3-9 or 4-8. He would be the laughing stock of the SEC if he allowed that to happen. We wouldn't just be viewed as losers, we would be losers.

Edit to add: Mullen has been the coach for 5 years, and has won 3 Egg Bowls.

starkvegasdawg
10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
I never want us to lose that game. I don't care what is or is not on the line. I don't care if losing that game meant that we would reincarnate Vince Lombardi to come back and be the coach. Like Hack said, MSU>fill in the blank coach. I would want us to win the Egg Bowl even if it somehow meant we would be forced to hire Croom and McCorvey back.

engie
10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Only way I'm in favor of keeping Mullen over Hudspeth is for him to go 7-5, while winning the Egg, and picking up steam in recruiting. All 3. This basically requires him to "overperform" and prove something for the first time since 2010 -- instead of just doing barely enough to get by and slowly killing the momentum the program has built in the process.

He's to the point now where he HAS to prove something -- or he'll be coaching in front of a freshly expanded, empty stadium next year. The Mullen bandwagon is getting really light. He's got to do something to turn momentum -- or he's going to lose everything we've gained under him.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Firing Stans was a pretty big controversy too. He fired the all-time winningest coach in our history, in a year in which he won 20+ games. I don't really understand this sentiment that Stricklin will not fire Mullen if he goes 3-9 or 4-8. He would be the laughing stock of the SEC if he allowed that to happen. We wouldn't just be viewed as losers, we would be losers.

Edit to add: Mullen has been the coach for 5 years, and has won 3 Egg Bowls.

OK - lets approach this from a standpoint of mathematics ... if he gets fired at seasons end how will we pay him off and still be able to pay another coach a substantial salary as he will still have a full 3 years remaining on contract ? ...... eggbowl average would still be .600 and bowl appearances are still @ .600 ..... OOC wins are in his favor ... stadium sellouts are in his favor ... he still recruits better than a lot of previous coaches .... how would STRICKLIN explain his actions of firing him ? ..... he will be given the proverbial "next year" to right the ship ..... if after that and he still needs to go then the school only has 2 years to pay

ETA - thanks for correcting my brain fart ... that would make him 3 of 5 on eggbowls and 3 of 5 for bowl eligibility

MarketingBully01
10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Ha! Gotta love it. You are picking us to lose to Kentucky with your 3-9 talk. That is laughable. Gotta love these doom and gloomers that are already predicting 4-8, 5-7 and 3-9 when we are currently 3-3 with a good chance at 6-6 or 7-5. Guys, take a chill pill and let the season play out. Quit with these scenarios that just aren't going to happen. I guess you are the same guys that would predict the worst case scenario out of any situation. I guess every now and then you could be right but most of the time you will be wrong...

bluelightstar
10-23-2013, 01:56 PM
We do not have a good chance of 7-5. Literally, the best odds we have is at 5-7 based on Mullen.

hells bells
10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Only way I'm in favor of keeping Mullen over Hudspeth is for him to go 7-5, while winning the Egg, and picking up steam in recruiting. All 3. This basically requires him to "overperform" and prove something for the first time since 2010 -- instead of just doing barely enough to get by and slowly killing the momentum the program has built in the process.

He's to the point now where he HAS to prove something -- or he'll be coaching in front of a freshly expanded, empty stadium next year. The Mullen bandwagon is getting really light. He's got to do something to turn momentum -- or he's going to lose everything we've gained under him.

How bout this. Strick grows a set, hires HUD as the new OC and recruiter at $900k to $1.2 mill per year. If that does not fire a warning shot across The USS Mullen nothing will.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Not a chance.

bully99
Not a fan of Stricklan but he fired Stainsbury and a hall of fame softball Coach among others. Athletic Directors fire coaches to save their own hide.

Political Hack

wanna bet?

MarketingBully01
10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Let me see: beating Kentucky (check) that is four, beating Arkansas (check) that is five, beating Ole Miss in Starkville (check) that is six, winning one of the South Carolina or A&M games with Manziel and Shaw beat up to heck (doable). I'd say 7-5 is doable.

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 02:17 PM

So if we are 4-7 headed into the EB you would be rooting for the bears?

This is not a bait post, I promise. I get the thought. Its kind of like chopping off an arm to save the body. No one wants us to lose to the bears, but I get the thinking that if we are 4-7 and a loss gets us Hud and a win gets us another year of Mullen, and potentially losing Hud to BCS program, then wanting a loss makes sense.

its a tough question, and right now I just can't see myself being ok with a loss to the bears even if we are at 4 wins and a 5th win for CDM guarantees him another year.

Also, due to our schedule next year, there is no way we miss a bowl, so we aren't firing him next year either. The more you look at it, the window for Hud could be this year for the forseeable future.

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 02:19 PM
OK - lets approach this from a standpoint of mathematics ... if he gets fired at seasons end how will we pay him off and still be able to pay another coach a substantial salary as he will still have a full 3 years remaining on contract ? ...... eggbowl average would still be .600 and bowl appearances are still @ .600 ..... OOC wins are in his favor ... stadium sellouts are in his favor ... he still recruits better than a lot of previous coaches .... how would STRICKLIN explain his actions of firing him ? ..... he will be given the proverbial "next year" to right the ship ..... if after that and he still needs to go then the school only has 2 years to pay

ETA - thanks for correcting my brain fart ... that would make him 3 of 5 on eggbowls and 3 of 5 for bowl eligibility

I hate to use OM to compare but I will. They paid Nutt, what, $6 mil in buyouts? We have basically the same budget. We can do it. The "we can't do it because we don't have money" LT days are over. And if they aren't, then we need to clean house starting with Strick's head.

We sell out the stadium with gimmicks like games and silly crap. Seriously, that is what gets the final 10-15% of people in the stadium. The childish entertainment that draws them in. The product on the field does not draw them in, so we have to do it that way. I won't diminish Mullen's hand in getting those sellouts, but as an SEC school selling out your stadium should be a guarantee unless you are Vandy or suck as in 2-3 wins bad.

And an easy way to get that money to pay off Mullen - start winning some games, raise ticket prices and get rid of the gimmicks to sell tickets because the product on the field is worth coming to see.

Goat Holder
Yeah because that will turn out fantastic.

AROB44

Nah...will not happen. Might not be sell outs, but will not be empty.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 02:21 PM
You cannot fire Mullen, period, if he's 6-6 or 5-7 with an Egg Bowl win. You cannot do it. Moving past that and making assumptions is just wasted time.

Don't start the bullshit about how some people (passively aggressively talking about me) just are satisfied with the status quo, we're keeping lil ole msu down, etc. That's cop-out and all of you know it.

MarketingBully01
10-23-2013, 02:23 PM
My prediction is 6-6 with an Egg Bowl win with an outside shot at 7-5.

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
I hate to use OM to compare but I will. They paid Nutt, what, $6 mil in buyouts? We have basically the same budget. We can do it. The "we can't do it because we don't have money" LT days are over. And if they aren't, then we need to clean house starting with Strick's head.

We sell out the stadium with gimmicks like games and silly crap. Seriously, that is what gets the final 10-15% of people in the stadium. The childish entertainment that draws them in. The product on the field does not draw them in, so we have to do it that way. I won't diminish Mullen's hand in getting those sellouts, but as an SEC school selling out your stadium should be a guarantee unless you are Vandy or suck as in 2-3 wins bad.

And an easy way to get that money to pay off Mullen - start winning some games, raise ticket prices and get rid of the gimmicks to sell tickets because the product on the field is worth coming to see.

This is spot on. This isn't 1988 anymore. We could fire Mullen for no reason whatsoever if we wanted to, afford it, and still probably get a good coach to come here.

And I think Stricklin is still wanting to make his mark on MSU. Dudy-Noble Field and then bringing in his own football coach are good ways to do that. And even though some disagree with how it was handled- Ray looks like a solid hire to me as well.

maroonmania
10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Sort of depends for me. If we come into the EB at 5-6 then no way in hell do I want to lose the game. If we come in at 4-7 and I'm already pissed about the season and we will finish with a losing record and no bowl anyway AND I'm guaranteed Hud if we lose THEN I would probably would be alright losing the EB. And I WILL be pissed if we come into the Egg Bowl at 4-7.

Coach34
10-23-2013, 02:36 PM
. Literally, the best odds we have is at 5-7 based on Mullen.

That's not true. Have we lost to a team at home since 2010 that didnt win 10 games?

engie
10-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Mullen's buyout is a flat $1.4 million.

engie
10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
We do not have a good chance of 7-5. Literally, the best odds we have is at 5-7 based on Mullen.

Then I'm in favor of making a change.

Like I say, "more of the same" is not good enough with what he's got kicking the door down behind him.

engie
10-23-2013, 02:53 PM
So if we are 4-7 headed into the EB you would be rooting for the bears?

This is not a bait post, I promise. I get the thought. Its kind of like chopping off an arm to save the body. No one wants us to lose to the bears, but I get the thinking that if we are 4-7 and a loss gets us Hud and a win gets us another year of Mullen, and potentially losing Hud to BCS program, then wanting a loss makes sense.

its a tough question, and right now I just can't see myself being ok with a loss to the bears even if we are at 4 wins and a 5th win for CDM guarantees him another year.

Also, due to our schedule next year, there is no way we miss a bowl, so we aren't firing him next year either. The more you look at it, the window for Hud could be this year for the forseeable future.

I would approach it exactly like 2008 when I sat on the 50 in Vaught Hemingway. Pull for MSU -- but if they are going to beat us, hope they beat us decisively and force the change.

What "I think" doesn't matter. If we are 4-7 going into that game, they are 100% going to kick our ass. We couldn't get up for the game last year to try to get a 9th win that didn't affect our bowl destination -- why the hell would we be able to get up for pride only where we know we won't be bowling? If we're at 4-7 at that point, you can bet we haven't "fixed" anything -- and the team has already quit.

It goes down like that, and we find ourselves exactly where we started -- only without heart and the toughest schedule in the country. My how things will have come full circle since 2009...

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I would approach it exactly like 2008 when I sat on the 50 in Vaught Hemingway. Pull for MSU -- but if they are going to beat us, hope they beat us decisively and force the change.

What "I think" doesn't matter. If we are 4-7 going into that game, they are 100% going to kick our ass. We couldn't get up for the game last year to try to get a 9th win that didn't affect our bowl destination -- why the hell would we be able to get up for pride only where we know we won't be bowling? If we're at 4-7 at that point, you can bet we haven't "fixed" anything -- and the team has already quit.

It goes down like that, and we find ourselves exactly where we started -- only without heart and the toughest schedule in the country. My how things will have come full circle since 2009...

MSU never learns from their past mistakes in football. A few vocal people will say we need to do this and that- and then the school will do it for a little while and lo and behold it will work- only to go back to the S. O. S. that wasn't working before. It BLOWS MY MIND.

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 03:05 PM
And now on top of that- we have threads like this one on why we should keep the obviously disinterested and declining football coach.

TheRef
10-23-2013, 03:09 PM
FFS, can we just drop this? I'm about sick and tired of every single 17'ing week seeing a thread with, essentially, "FIRE MULLEN!!! HIRE HUD!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IN A FLAMING BALL OF FIRE!!!" Look. I'm not in the Fire Mullen/Keep Mullen crowd. I'm not in the Hire HUD/ Forget HUD crowd. I'm just here to watch a few games and enjoy a good analysis of games. But obviously that's too damn much to ask on a message board. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But we don't need to have a thread on every HUD game and break down how well/poor he would do in the SEC if he was our coach. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. But until then, CALM THE EVER LIVING SHIT DOWN. /rant. Excuse my french.

maroonmania
10-23-2013, 03:16 PM
FFS, can we just drop this? I'm about sick and tired of every single 17'ing week seeing a thread with, essentially, "FIRE MULLEN!!! HIRE HUD!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IN A FLAMING BALL OF FIRE!!!" Look. I'm not in the Fire Mullen/Keep Mullen crowd. I'm not in the Hire HUD/ Forget HUD crowd. I'm just here to watch a few games and enjoy a good analysis of games. But obviously that's too damn much to ask on a message board. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But we don't need to have a thread on every HUD game and break down how well/poor he would do in the SEC if he was our coach. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. But until then, CALM THE EVER LIVING SHIT DOWN. /rant. Excuse my french.

I agree this is a BAD thread. But we need something, somewhere to light a fire under Mullen's butt. Heck, lately he really acts lately like he is fine with winning, fine with losing. He used to at least act like he was determined to raise our program up to higher standards but no longer do I get that feeling.

dawgs
10-23-2013, 03:19 PM
MSU never learns from their past mistakes in football. A few vocal people will say we need to do this and that- and then the school will do it for a little while and lo and behold it will work- only to go back to the S. O. S. that wasn't working before. It BLOWS MY MIND.

give me a ****ing break with schedule bullshit. okie st lost to wvu. they didn't play all that great against us. we could have easily won that game, and if playing okie st instead of tulane is the difference between a good season and a bad season, then you don't understand what a good season is.

maroonmania
10-23-2013, 03:22 PM
give me a ****ing break with schedule bullshit. okie st lost to wvu. they didn't play all that great against us. we could have easily won that game, and if playing okie st instead of tulane is the difference between a good season and a bad season, then you don't understand what a good season is.

Personally I don't think I've ever seen a Mullen MSU team that could have beaten a decent BCS conference team in the OPENING GAME. We never look like we are prepared when we open up the season. We should stick to SWAC teams or bad D-1 teams to open up with to sort out the kinks that we always have.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 03:32 PM
My how things will have come full circle since 2009...

Funny enough 2009 was when we accomplished exactly what you say we can't.....beating a favored Ole Miss team when we were 4-7.

BWA HA HA full circle indeed.

AROB44
10-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I agree this is a BAD thread. But we need something, somewhere to light a fire under Mullen's butt. Heck, lately he really acts lately like he is fine with winning, fine with losing. He used to at least act like he was determined to raise our program up to higher standards but no longer do I get that feeling.

Maybe he know something we don't. I must add that this is absolutely pure speculation on my part.

TUSK
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
In the Dubose era. And it was the "right" thing to do.
Because that is the only way it will happen.

There is just no way Strick fires Mullen if he beats the bears, even at 5-7. Just no way.

The only way he fires him is if he goes 5-7 with a blowout loss to the bears.

Do you really want Hud that bad to sit through a 2008 or 2012 level beat down to bucky and watch the bears get to probably 8 wins and a decent bowl?

Are you that committed to Hud, because that is what it would take. Im not there, and I like Hud a lot, but I can't stomach a loss to those shitbirds in our house.

engie
10-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Funny enough 2009 was when we accomplished exactly what you say we can't.....beating a favored Ole Miss team when we were 4-7.

The 2009 team had tremendous heart. We saw it every week. That's been absent from mullen's last two teams here -- and I don't care what the excuse for it is -- it's a fact.

BulldogBear
10-23-2013, 04:29 PM

I swear and does nobody see that we could end up doing to them exactly what they did to us last year? Though I prefer to have the 6th win before then. The Egg Bowl odds are in our favor anyway. I keep saying it...3rd -12th in SEC this year are beating each other up. This guaranteed UM Egg Bowl victory crap is getting old. If the players don't get up for another game but 1, it will be that one. If they can't get up for UM... then blame doom and gloom crap like this that so many people naively think the players aren't reading. Y'all are telling them they can't win the Egg Bowl, so don't be surprised when they come out of the field house half beaten already.

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 04:34 PM

I'm not talking just about that. Playing on Thursday nights, going away from how to use the scoreboard to get the fans involved, gimmick uniforms, blindly supporting a coach because of past accomplishments alone, etc. It's the total package.

BulldogBear
10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm not talking just about that. Playing on Thursday nights, going away from how to use the scoreboard to get the fans involved, gimmick uniforms, blindly supporting a coach because of past accomplishments alone, etc. It's the total package.

I know it's the least important of the issues you mentioned and I don't even agree with all of 'em, but this is the one that drives me freaking crazy. But I'm a traditionalist asthetically. I like to have an identity as far as unis go. I give Oregon a pass because crazy uniforms that have little to do with their school colors is their identity. Somebody asked me about bidding on a pink helmet and I said I wouldn't be interested till it was maroon and white. Sadly, I think if enough time pases and they run out of shades of green they WILL wear a maroon and white uni some day.

dawgs
10-23-2013, 04:56 PM

well i think i misread your use of "S.O.S." to mean "strength of schedule", not "same old shit". but to more directly answer to rest of your post...

i have no problem with a thursday night game after a bye. we have more than enough time to get healthy and prep for it, we still have 8 days to get healthy and prep for the next game, and we're the only CFB game on ESPN. fine by me.

the scoreboard shit sucks, but that's a problem across the country, college basketball, CFB, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, it doesn't matter. it is what it is at this point, but we definitely aren't doing somethings others aren't. i don't like it, but hard for me to focus my anger at our ath dept when apparently someone likes that shit since everyone else , college or pro, does it.

i don't care about uniforms. if you win, none of your fans care what you wear. if you lose, it's just something pissed off fans use to pile on.

if you think i blindly support mullen, then you haven't read my posts. i'm definitely not in the fire him now camp, i'm in the let's see what happens the rest of the season camp. and i've been pretty critical of a lot of things i'd like to see him change.

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
well i think i misread your use of "S.O.S." to mean "strength of schedule", not "same old shit". but to more directly answer to rest of your post...

i have no problem with a thursday night game after a bye. we have more than enough time to get healthy and prep for it, we still have 8 days to get healthy and prep for the next game, and we're the only CFB game on ESPN. fine by me.

the scoreboard shit sucks, but that's a problem across the country, college basketball, CFB, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, it doesn't matter. it is what it is at this point, but we definitely aren't doing somethings others aren't. i don't like it, but hard for me to focus my anger at our ath dept when apparently someone likes that shit since everyone else , college or pro, does it.

i don't care about uniforms. if you win, none of your fans care what you wear. if you lose, it's just something pissed off fans use to pile on.

if you think i blindly support mullen, then you haven't read my posts. i'm definitely not in the fire him now camp, i'm in the let's see what happens the rest of the season camp. and i've been pretty critical of a lot of things i'd like to see him change.

Well, technically there is the MTSU/Marshall game on Thursday as well which is of no concern- but even more pressing we will be competing with the NFL that night and Game 2 of the World Series. It's also a major inconvenience for our fans who have to work the next day and it also is a headache for recruits who either won't come because they want to focus on their high school game the next day or it gives them an opportunity to visit another school on Saturday. And then the JUCO's can't come because most of them are playing on Thursday night. I'm sure there are a lot of people that may not "mind it"- but I also believe that if you gave people a choice they would prefer Saturday. We can only accomplish so much with one extra day off- and I suspect we most likely would use it to rest players.

The "scorebaord shit" doesn't go on at Bama, LSU, etc. It goes on and works in baseball because they know ahead of time that there are 9 defined innings with at least one and usually two distinct stoppages in play. Football isn't like that.

As far as the uniforms, I was referring to the Snow Bowl uniforms. We glorified an Independence Bowl victory. A game that marked the end of an era- and the beginning of a sharp decline. Because it snowed.

As far as you individually blindly supporting Dan- I wasn't referring to you or anyone as an individual blindly supporting Dan, but rather the entire group as a whole.

engie
10-23-2013, 05:39 PM
If they can't get up for UM... then blame doom and gloom crap like this that so many people naively think the players aren't reading. Y'all are telling them they can't win the Egg Bowl, so don't be surprised when they come out of the field house half beaten already.

Wow at this bs. If the players are too mentally weak to take message board criticism, we're already screwed. Maybe you are right -- and that's why they fold at the first sign of adversity every time Mullen runs Bell's ass out there to shank another chip shot. Nice job of building in your excuses preemptively though.

When you face adversity, you either fight -- or you quit. I haven't seen a LICK of fight from anyone associated with our program in 2 years here, and I'm pissed off about it. I'm going to raise 14 kinds about that until someone on OUR team steps up and proves me(happily) wrong and hits someone in the mouth, puts their foot on their throat, and keeps it there for 4 quarters.

Coach content with mediocrity -- players content with mediocrity -- "fans" complaining at other fans that aren't accepting of less than 100% effort from coach and team... And somehow, this is the message boards' fault? LOL

engie
10-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Half of our SEC home games are on Thursday. Our ONLY TWO home Saturday SEC games are virtually guaranteed blowout losses.

On our first SEC Saturday game, LSU, we were barred from having official recruiting visits to as part of our self-imposed sanctions. You can't really OV recruits on a Thursday game. This is especially true for JUCO guys looking to make decisions soon -- because they PLAY on Thursday and go to games on Saturdays. You also can't hardly OV recruits on Thanksgiving. So, that leaves us with ONE big home recruiting weekend -- against #1 Alabama -- where our fate in the game is all-but-sealed -- and the atmosphere won't be electric because no one believes we have a chance -- along with a jumbotron that will do commercials all game long when music should be playing.

And people wonder what is wrong with our recruiting? We can't get out of our own way on ANY level -- and it starts at the VERY TOP. Strick f'd Mullen, recruiting, and the fans with this schedule. For a little extra TV time? He might as well have taken a payday and moved our home games against Florida to Jacksonville**

dawgs
10-23-2013, 05:58 PM
The "scorebaord shit" doesn't go on at Bama, LSU, etc. It goes on and works in baseball because they know ahead of time that there are 9 defined innings with at least one and usually two distinct stoppages in play. Football isn't like that.

well i haven't lived in or near the south in nearly a decade, so i haven't been to any sec road games in that long. i have been to other CFB games and i've been to pro games, and they do a lot of the same shit. goofy kiss cams, cartoon races, trivia, etc always sponsored by someone. the straight up commercials are definitely lame, and not as prevalent around the rest of the country, but definitely aren't limited to just msu either.

dawgs
10-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Half of our SEC home games are on Thursday. Our ONLY TWO home Saturday SEC games are virtually guaranteed blowout losses.

On our first SEC Saturday game, LSU, we were barred from having official recruiting visits to as part of our self-imposed sanctions. You can't really OV recruits on a Thursday game. This is especially true for JUCO guys looking to make decisions soon -- because they PLAY on Thursday and go to games on Saturdays. You also can't hardly OV recruits on Thanksgiving. So, that leaves us with ONE big home recruiting weekend -- against #1 Alabama -- where our fate in the game is all-but-sealed -- and the atmosphere won't be electric because no one believes we have a chance -- along with a jumbotron that will do commercials all game long when music should be playing.

And people wonder what is wrong with our recruiting? We can't get out of our own way on ANY level -- and it starts at the VERY TOP. Strick f'd Mullen, recruiting, and the fans with this schedule. For a little extra TV time? He might as well have taken a payday and moved our home games against Florida to Jacksonville**

well i live 2500 miles away, so i am not as in tune with everything as some of yall, but that does make me change my opinion. i hadn't thought about it with relation to total sec home games, cruitin' visits, ncaa punishment, etc.

i guess my question is why was the lsu game chosen? did we choose that one ourselves? or were we told that was the game by the NCAA? if we self-imposed that game, then we are ****ing idiots. we should have self-imposed alcorn st or BGSU or tomorrow night even (knowing that a lot of players couldn't make it anyway).

but in general i don't mind a thursday night game after a bye week. in this specific situation, maybe not the best choice, but in general, i'm not opposed.

engie
10-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I'll try to find the specific ruling on the matter. Haven't seen it in awhile and am just going off memory on that.

Either way, we've got OVs lined up for days**

MSU OV list:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131023-mkir-16kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131023-mkir-16kb)

contrasted with our brothers to the north:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131023-2lwv-71kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131023-2lwv-71kb)

Per Scout, Ole Miss has ALREADY had 2 5* and 10 4*s OFFICIALLY visit -- with another 5* and 4 4*s on deck. MSU has had ZERO visits period -- with one 3* scheduled for MARCH.

Nothing to see here -- recruiting is going just fine**

BulldogBear
10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow at this bs. If the players are too mentally weak to take message board criticism, we're already screwed. Maybe you are right -- and that's why they fold at the first sign of adversity every time Mullen runs Bell's ass out there to shank another chip shot. Nice job of building in your excuses preemptively though.

When you face adversity, you either fight -- or you quit. I haven't seen a LICK of fight from anyone associated with our program in 2 years here, and I'm pissed off about it. I'm going to raise 14 kinds about that until someone on OUR team steps up and proves me(happily) wrong and hits someone in the mouth, puts their foot on their throat, and keeps it there for 4 quarters.

Coach content with mediocrity -- players content with mediocrity -- "fans" complaining at other fans that aren't accepting of less than 100% effort from coach and team... And somehow, this is the message boards' fault? LOL

All I'm saying is that I don't think the doom and gloom is called for yet. I go to almost every home game yell like a banshee at stupid coaching decisions and bad plays but for the most part leave it all "on the field." I don't think we are in a crisis and have to freak out when we haven't played in almost two weeks and in the meantime our rival has played and ULL has played twice. Hey, where's the fire? If we don't handle Kentucky then we have some smoke. I believe in giving our team and coaches a chance to respond to what has amounted to a gauntlet thrown down in front of them since BGSU before we concede the Golden Egg. For the record I believe we are going to win the Egg Bowl. I do not deal in prefabricated excuses. I'm expressing my frustration at what amounts to watching people run out of a theatre screaming "FIRE, FIRE!" only to walk into said theatre to discover a still-lit cigarette discarded on the carpet by a curtain. It's a problem that if left unfixed can lead to disaster but let's give the fire dept a chance before we panick.

Sorry for the rant and the anology. It's not really a board's fault of course (especially since not all of us are panicking) but that meltdown and Hudspeth NOW stuff.... DOES NOT HELP THE TEAM.

hacker
10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I'll try to find the specific ruling on the matter. Haven't seen it in awhile and am just going off memory on that.

Either way, we've got OVs lined up for days**

MSU OV list:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131023-mkir-16kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131023-mkir-16kb)

contrasted with our brothers to the north:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131023-2lwv-71kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131023-2lwv-71kb)

Per Scout, Ole Miss has ALREADY had 2 5* and 10 4*s OFFICIALLY visit -- with another 5* and 4 4*s on deck. MSU has had ZERO visits period -- with one 3* scheduled for MARCH.

Nothing to see here -- recruiting is going just fine**

I'm vehemently against firing Mullen, but what exactly is going on here? Jesus, OM has 10 4*s left on their board?

CadaverDawg
10-23-2013, 06:49 PM

This^ is a strong post.

engie
10-23-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm vehemently against firing Mullen, but what exactly is going on here? Jesus, OM has 10 4*s left on their board?

What's going on is we're getting our asses TOTALLY dominated in recruiting. Last year could be dismissed as an outlier. This year can not.
They've got 6 4*s in the boat. They've got 14 4*s and 3 5*s officially visiting BEFORE we've got our first OV of the year -- all of which they think there is some remote shot at -- and after last year, who can blame them. They are expected to get 4 more 4*s -- and that's with an average "close" -- not a rockstar close like they had last year.

Yes -- they are cheating. Yes -- they are being investigated. Yes -- they are going on probation with us. And yes -- they are recruiting at a level that, if sustained, puts them very close to the elite teams in our conference from a talent standpoint as soon as next season -- and certainly by 2015.

The sooner we face that reality, and come up with a gameplan for countering it, the better off we will be. I think "my" gameplan is pretty obvious at this point...

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
What's going on is we're getting our asses TOTALLY dominated in recruiting. Last year could be dismissed as an outlier. This year can not.
They've got 6 4*s in the boat. They've got 14 4*s and 3 5*s officially visiting BEFORE we've got our first OV of the year -- all of which they think there is some remote shot at -- and after last year, who can blame them. They are expected to get 4 more 4*s -- and that's with an average "close" -- not a rockstar close like they had last year.

Yes -- they are cheating. Yes -- they are being investigated. Yes -- they are going on probation with us. And yes -- they are recruiting at a level that, if sustained, puts them very close to the elite teams in our conference from a talent standpoint as soon as next season -- and certainly by 2015.

The sooner we face that reality, and come up with a gameplan for countering it, the better off we will be. I think "my" gameplan is pretty obvious at this point...

What they are doing is selling the SEC to players that normally go to Michigan, Nebraska and iowa.

They are using that and the mystique of Oxford and playing the, "why go to Bama and do what has been done before, come here and do something special"

As diluted as their fans are, they genuinely have bought into the "why not us" attitude. It's something I wish we had. They have beaten Bama for 4 OL in the last 12 months. FOUR! They are going heads up with Bama on Hampton and heads up against FSU for Pack and though they are wasting their time, they are going after Green until the bitter end.

Mullen better be right about some of the commits we have on board, because he needs a class to come through big time.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 08:26 PM
What they are doing is selling the SEC to players that normally go to Michigan, Nebraska and iowa.

They are using that and the mystique of Oxford and playing the, "why go to Bama and do what has been done before, come here and do something special"

As diluted as their fans are, they genuinely have bought into the "why not us" attitude. It's something I wish we had. They have beaten Bama for 4 OL in the last 12 months. FOUR! They are going heads up with Bama on Hampton and heads up against FSU for Pack and though they are wasting their time, they are going after Green until the bitter end.

Mullen better be right about some of the commits we have on board, because he needs a class to come through big time.

Mullen very well could be, but do you guys really think he is this dumb? Do you really think they sit over in the football building throwing shoes at the wall out of anger because they can't figure out how OM gets so many visits from highly rated players? Do you really think they don't try and get players from Illinois, Michigan, etc to visit?

Guys, Mullen may be stubborn, but he isn't dumb. OM isn't using some mysterious recruiting strategy that no other school can figure out. They are paying players and offering benefits for players to visit. It's the only thing that makes sense. I can't imagine that Mullen and Co aren't attempting all the same recruiting strategies that OM is. All sports leagues are copy cat leagues.

After the Humphrey tweet a few weeks ago, I have started think that this recruiting problem has much less to do with Mullen than the alumni recruiting situation we have.

You guys give Freeze and his "recruiting strategy" WAY to much credit. I mean, have you guys heard Freezus talk. He comes across well, but he ain't no rocket scientist. He isn't outsmarting the entire college football world when it comes to recruiting.

Do you really think OM is recruiting well because their fans have bought in the "why not us" attitude?

Come on man, the main reason everyone on this board has been pissed all week is because the MSU fan base has the "why not us" attitude.

Doesn't OM already have 21 commits? How many more can they take?

engie
10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
You guys give Freeze and his "recruiting strategy" WAY to much credit.

He put together the best class by a nontraditional power in the history of recruiting rankings last year. No, I do not think we are giving him too much credit. How does downplaying the success he's having help us? It doesn't.

I know all about how they get the visits. The point is -- they are doing it more and/or better than anyone that isn't a "big boy" has in a bunch of years. They are under investigation. And there's not even a hint of it slowing them down right now.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 09:03 PM
He put together the best class by a nontraditional power in the history of recruiting rankings last year. No, I do not think we are giving him too much credit. How does downplaying the success he's having help us? It doesn't.

I know all about how they get the visits. The point is -- they are doing it more and/or better than anyone that isn't a "big boy" has in a bunch of years. They are under investigation. And there's not even a hint of it slowing them down right now.

I'm not trying to downplay his success. Just saying that his basic strategy, minus the cheating, isn't any better than anyone else's. The cheating is whats getting it done, not his being creative and offering kids from the mid-west.

engie
10-23-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not trying to downplay his success. Just saying that his basic strategy, minus the cheating, isn't any better than anyone else's. The cheating is whats getting it done, not his being creative and offering kids from the mid-west.

Correct... But ultimately, it doesn't matter "how" it's getting done -- just that it is getting done.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Correct... But ultimately, it doesn't matter "how" it's getting done -- just that it is getting done.

No doubt, just trying to make sure people are looking at this from the right perspective

Goat Holder
10-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Sort of like the Bowling Green game? I know many MSU teams from yesteryear that fold and take that beating, a few of them coached by King Jackie.

Effort is not our guys problem. Personnel and some questionable in-game coaching is.

If you want to get mad and throw tantrums, at least get mad at the right things.

'Merica Dawg
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
to simple its simple... Beat UK, UPig, and OM.... added to the fact we take USC, TAM, and Bama to the brink. I will be content with Mullen. Otherwise, I can here the NSYNC song playing in my head.

I have always been on the Mullen train, but we are now able to see a body of work with a larger sample size from Mullen. The most glaringly obvious fault I now have against Mullen is: WE HAVE ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED DROP BACK PASSERS IN MSU/MISSISIPPI HISTORY AS A 5TH YEAR SENIOR AND WE CANT BUILD AN OFFENSE TO SUIT HIM. Any GOOD coach knows how to think outside the box and tailor systems around his best players. And that's a fact Jack. Coach would you agree?

I remember Tyler Russell slicing and dicing a good South Panola team in the state championships... what happened to that kid? I think he was better then than he is now.

SnakePlissken
10-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm vehemently against firing Mullen, but what exactly is going on here? Jesus, OM has 10 4*s left on their board?You do realize that we couldn't have official visitors due to the self imposed penalties don't you? This is NOT on Mullen. Bracky offered up these penalties to the NCAA and we can't have official visitors until after the UK game. Those visitors that were at our games on the sidelines all had to buy their own tickets and pay their own way.

engie
10-24-2013, 10:10 AM
You do realize that we couldn't have official visitors due to the self imposed penalties don't you? This is NOT on Mullen. Bracky offered up these penalties to the NCAA and we can't have official visitors until after the UK game. Those visitors that were at our games on the sidelines all had to buy their own tickets and pay their own way.

So, we can't schedule any in advance?

Rosey has us at one -- for March. Paul has us at zero. There is NO excuse for that at this point. Doesn't have much to do with how many we've already hosted -- but the fact that we obviously aren't recruiting on the level we have the past couple of years -- and it APPEARS to be because we don't give a shit and aren't trying.

hacker
10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
You do realize that we couldn't have official visitors due to the self imposed penalties don't you? This is NOT on Mullen. Bracky offered up these penalties to the NCAA and we can't have official visitors until after the UK game. Those visitors that were at our games on the sidelines all had to buy their own tickets and pay their own way.

Yes, but do you realize the image indicates that we don't have any OVs set up until March?