PDA

View Full Version : SEC Tournament Thoughts. Non 3 AM version.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:04 PM
We all know this tournament is meaningless. I think it's one of the most difficult tournaments to win because of the way it chews up pitching- not to mention playing a 17 inning game on top of that.

I'm not concerned about the pitching. The regional will be a lot easier as far as opponents go and with our staff we should be fine. That's where playing in the SEC will pay off for us and the other teams in the league as well. We have a legit ace in Small and Ginn is pretty close to one right now as well- tonight non-withstanding and the third inning wasn't totally his fault. Plumlee has emerged as a solid third starter. The most encouraging thing to me was how some of our guys in the pen stepped up. Brandon Smith looks like a solid option after pitching well against La Tech and LSU. Cole Gordon looked like Gordon of last year in the postseason. Somehow we didn't even have to pitch Colby White. Eric Cerentola and maybe Spencer Price can maybe be options now. Especially Cerentola. This is the kind of outing that could springboard him into next year. I could see him blowing up this summer in the offseason wherever he goes. We need to get Leibelt and Barlow back on track though. With others picking up the slack we may be able to cut back on their use some if they continue to struggle.

The hitting is a big concern though. It seems like we go through stretches where we have a bad weekend and then things don't seem to change until after the weekend is over. See the LSU and Arkansas series as well as most of the SEC Tournament. We're having way too many bad AB's. Gautreau has to fix that- and he needs to fix it on a game to game basis or an inning to inning basis because we don't have any more days off after a bad weekend to sort things out. This isn't MLB where hitters can figure things out. These are amateur hitters who aren't as advanced at this point. MacNamee needs to come back- he is supposed to start swinging the bat on Monday. Hopefully that goes well. Knowing him he will find a way to play.

This teams biggest weakness IMO is the same issue the Chicago Cubs had before they eventually won the World Series. They want it so bad for them and I would say us as well that they press sometimes in really big games trying to make good things happen instead of focusing on just relaxing and playing the game well one pitch at a time. It's not a coincidence that one of our most laid back teams- the 2013 team went the furthest of any MSU team ever so far. For us to do that- we have to find a way to do that. Just worry about the next pitch and don't worry about anything else in that moment and keep doing that over and over again until you achieve your goal. Just like the 2004 Red Sox were laid back- this team needs to go out and have fun playing baseball. It just doesn't look like they're doing that right now.

#HailState

Lord McBuckethead
05-24-2019, 11:32 PM
The SEC tourney should be single elimination all the way.

justwin
05-24-2019, 11:34 PM
going into the postseason, observations..

I probably get them a day or two off to reset, but they are going to go to the park anyway. let them all get fresh haircuts, mohawks, lines, etc.

we go where jake takes us. that simple. Steve's been saying it all year. the sect has taught him that good pitchers are going to refuse to throw him strikes as he'll get himself out more often on chasing bad pitches. when the two vandy players sat with KP @ the desk after the game, they asked drake on his approach to mangum and he subtly said that he just keep throwing on the outer edges and watch him chase & swat away, get himself out. the last bat tonight in perfect example, we're down 10 and he swings at first pitch 2" off the ground in other batters box for weak grounder. Goes back to the USC series where all they threw him was away off the plate and down and he was out in 2 pitches so the book is out. It looks like it's gotten him off balance and isn't really loading on his legs and needs to focus on getting back on top of the ball like Tanner has. bottom line is Jake needs to make them throw him strikes to feast on.

as for the offense, same as jake. make them throw you strikes & attack strikes. that's an easy fix. It's almost like we've had about 2 series where we've gotten loose & fast this year and away from up the middle / line drive approach. The good news is we've been this through this a few times this season and have responded through gautreau coaching and back to hutning strikes & line drives. namely, the auburn / georgia/ ole miss series where we were clean top to bottom. Westburg has the seen the slider in the dirt about 200+ times now so he should hopefully reset and begin to recognize...reminds so much of Hunter Renfroe same problem early on...and wes rea too. Come on Westy! I do like Gilbert solidifying 3rd....really like watching him hit.

the only problem I see with the infield D is just a few double clutches out of the glove per game which gets a baserunner or two on that shouldn't. we kind of trade an extra baserunner or two for them a game for offense which i'm all good with. Other than that, good to go. We're good at catcher too.

for the outfield, I go with cumbest in RF as he's the best defender in Mac doens't return. Hatcher nor any of the others are built for RF. As for Hatcher, he has flashed twice this year, surprisingly, and kind of think he goes back behind hancock & landon jordan at dh options. Mac needs to bring the swagger and get everyone's mojo back.

we are about to have home field advantage. get rowdy

we have 8-9 arms which is plenty. I'm very excited about our arms. Liebelt & Gordon & Colby & Brandon Smith & Eagon on top of our 3 starters are good quality. I think Cerantola will flash too. I also think Barlow is good in one inning opportunities....just a few batters. Keegan has it in him too for an inning here or there.

It's go time! Hail State

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 11:41 PM
The SEC tourney should be single elimination all the way.

I agree 110%. But we also know it won't happen and it will be in Hoover until that stadium falls apart.

going into the postseason, observations..

I probably get them a day or two off to reset, but they are going to go to the park anyway. let them all get fresh haircuts, mohawks, lines, etc.

we go where jake takes us. that simple. Steve's been saying it all year. the sect has taught him that good pitchers are going to refuse to throw him strikes as he'll get himself out more often on chasing bad pitches. when the two vandy players sat with KP @ the desk after the game, they asked drake on his approach to mangum and he subtly said that he just keep throwing on the outer edges and watch him chase & swat away, get himself out. the last bat tonight in perfect example, we're down 10 and he swings at first pitch 2" off the ground in other batters box for weak grounder. Goes back to the USC series where all they threw him was away off the plate and down and he was out in 2 pitches so the book is out. It looks like it's gotten him off balance and isn't really loading on his legs and needs to focus on getting back on top of the ball like Tanner has. bottom line is Jake needs to make them throw him strikes to feast on.

as for the offense, same as jake. make them throw you strikes & attack strikes. that's an easy fix. It's almost like we've had about 2 series where we've gotten loose & fast this year and away from up the middle / line drive approach. The good news is we've been this through this a few times this season and have responded through gautreau coaching and back to hutning strikes & line drives. namely, the auburn / georgia/ ole miss series where we were clean top to bottom. Westburg has the seen the slider in the dirt about 200+ times now so he should hopefully reset and begin to recognize...reminds so much of Hunter Renfroe same problem early on...and wes rea too. Come on Westy! I do like Gilbert solidifying 3rd....really like watching him hit.

the only problem I see with the infield D is just a few double clutches out of the glove per game which gets a baserunner or two on that shouldn't. we kind of trade an extra baserunner or two for them a game for offense which i'm all good with. Other than that, good to go. We're good at catcher too.

for the outfield, I go with cumbest in RF as he's the best defender in Mac doens't return. Hatcher nor any of the others are built for RF. As for Hatcher, he has flashed twice this year, surprisingly, and kind of think he goes back behind hancock & landon jordan at dh options. Mac needs to bring the swagger and get everyone's mojo back.

we are about to have home field advantage. get rowdy

we have 8-9 arms which is plenty. I'm very excited about our arms. Liebelt & Gordon & Colby & Brandon Smith & Eagon on top of our 3 starters are good quality. I think Cerantola will flash too. I also think Barlow is good in one inning opportunities....just a few batters. Keegan has it in him too for an inning here or there.

It's go time! Hail State

Jake is without question the face of the team. But MacNamee is also a big leader as well and I think we miss his energy and play in the field as well. We have the pieces to go deep and make another run. I think our experience last year will help us out a lot too. You can't really replace that and I don't think we have very many players that weren't with us last year on the run to Omaha. Maybe Ginn and Colby White but it isn't a long list. IMO experience is what helps you in the postseason the most.

Watching the interviews tonight of Lemonis and Jake they seemed mentally fatigued to me. The rest will help with that. Getting knocked out now could be a big blessing.

Maroonthirteen
05-25-2019, 10:17 AM
My thoughts for the sec tournament. Bats are asleep. Jobo needs to visit the clubhouse.

I agree with Kyle Peterson..... who is this guy?!?!? Where has he been? Eric Cerantola.... if we can’t hit. Cerantola needs some mound time in the regional. Middle reliever, closer .... something.