PDA

View Full Version : Tonight Was Embarrassing

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Tonight simply wasn't good enough to wear the maroon & white. This program has to get tougher & not allow that to happen vs their baseball rival. I could care less what they were playing for, the pride in that jersey has to ALWAYS be there.

National championship caliber teams can't play that way against their rival. They simply can't.

We've got some guys on the team right now that are going through slumps & hanging their head, but the real season is about to begin & those players have to find another gear.

I don't think there should be panic, but the leadership on this team has to step up right now & put an end to the head hanging & sulking.

This team has the ability to go all the way, but they won't get out of a Super Regional unless they get their self confidence up & start playing MSU baseball again.

Regardless of the circumstances, tonight was an embarrassment to that jersey & can't happen.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 09:38 PM
I agree 100%.

State82
05-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Yes it was.

CadaverDawg
05-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Yep. No pride was shown tonight. Tonight is a prime example of why this program hasn't won a Natty....we don't have a Championship mentality. LSU does, and that's why they own us like we own Ole Miss

Cooterpoot
05-24-2019, 09:49 PM
There’s no excuse for that garbage tonight. None.

West Tn Dawg
05-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Absolutely!

Dental Dawg33
05-24-2019, 09:54 PM
100%

MarketingBully
05-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Tonight simply wasn't good enough to wear the maroon & white. This program has to get tougher & not allow that to happen vs their baseball rival. I could care less what they were playing for, the pride in that jersey has to ALWAYS be there.

National championship caliber teams can't play that way against their rival. They simply can't.

We've got some guys on the team right now that are going through slumps & hanging their head, but the real season is about to begin & those players to find another gear.

I don't think there should be panic, but the leadership on this team has to step up right now & put an end to the head hanging & sulking.

This team has the ability to go all the way, but they won't get out of a Super Regional unless they get their self confidence up & start playing MSU baseball again.

Regardless of the circumstances, tonight was an embarrassment to that jersey & can't happen.

Agree 100%.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Yep. No pride was shown tonight. Tonight is a prime example of why this program hasn't won a Natty....we don't have a Championship mentality. LSU does, and that's why they own us like we own Ole Miss

Agree 100%.

With LSU's program there is a sense of pride & swagger when things don't go their way. With our program, we just sulk & take our beating.

You are 100% correct about this being the reason we haven't won a natty. In fact, it's a big difference between the scrappiness of Louisiana vs the inferiority complex of many Mississippians.

FriarsPoint
05-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Worthless game in a worthless tournament versus a coach that puts his self worth on winning said tournament.

Lighten the @@@@ up.

This is one of the best four teams in the country. Period.

Captain Falcon
05-24-2019, 09:58 PM
I mean it?s disappointing that we lost like that to a rival, but it?s a game that doesn?t mean much in the grand scheme of things. We?ll flush it and move on. I?m already over it. We?ve bounced back incredibly well from every bad weekend we?ve had this year, I don?t think this will be any different.

Nothing that happened or could?ve happened this week should change your view on how the next two weeks will go. Teams that win the tournament crap out early in a Regional all the time, and teams that do nothing in Hoover often get to Omaha. We?re still a Top 5 team with national title potential, and we will be playing at home both of the next two weeks and heavily favored to get back to Omaha. We may fall short like we did in ?89 and ?16, but it won?t have anything to do with what happened this week in Hoover.

State82
05-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Worthless game in a worthless tournament versus a coach that puts his self worth on winning said tournament.

Lighten the @@@@ up.

If this team is one of the last four standing in Omaha you can shit in my hat.

FriarsPoint
05-24-2019, 10:01 PM

You better have a big hat

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2019, 10:02 PM

Lighten the @@@@ up.

I totally agree but there needs to be pride in that jersey every time we take the field. Tonight there was not.

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Agree 100%.

With LSU's program there is a sense of pride & swagger when things don't go their way. With our program, we just sulk & take our beating.

You are 100% correct about this being the reason we haven't won a natty. In fact, it's a big difference between the scrappiness of Louisiana vs the inferiority complex of many Mississippians.

I get all of this (except the comparison between MS and LA people thats just a broad brush) BUT nobody is talking about the SECT in June. They're just not. Nobody remembers that they beat us last year except us, everybody else knows we went to Omaha and damn near won it and they got sent home early.

All of yall talk about national perception thats it

tcdog70
Wonder why. Coach, left Self on the mound for so long? He clearly was just throwing meat.

ShotgunDawg
I mean it?s disappointing that we lost like that to a rival, but it?s a game that doesn?t mean much in the grand scheme of things. We?ll flush it and move on. I?m already over it. We?ve bounced back incredibly well from every bad weekend we?ve had this year, I don?t think this will be any different.

Nothing that happened or could?ve happened this week should change your view on how the next two weeks will go. Teams that win the tournament crap out early in a Regional all the time, and teams that do nothing in Hoover often get to Omaha. We?re still a Top 5 team with national title potential, and we will be playing at home both of the next two weeks and heavily favored to get back to Omaha. We may fall short like we did in ?89 and ?16, but it won?t have anything to do with what happened this week in Hoover.

Completely agree but we've got some kids that are sulking right now & need to get their confidence back. We need more swagger

CadaverDawg
05-24-2019, 10:04 PM

LOL

Schultzy
05-24-2019, 10:05 PM
No, to all. Y’all are stupid to be embarrassed. The season starts again in the Regionals and we won the game against them that both really wanted and sold out for.

UMCDawg16
05-24-2019, 10:06 PM
This game meant nothing. I’m actually glad we lost. Need the rest and to reset. Some of you need to calm the F down. We have bigger goals than this tournament.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Completely agree but we've got some kids that are sulking right now & need to get their confidence back. We need more swagger

That's probably why he wants MacNamee back.

FriarsPoint
05-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Y’all are freaking out over nothing.

Arkansas.

You know what I learned? Just what I thought. Great team that’s shit away from home. How do you think they would look after a 17 inning game first shot out of the box?

I also learned Vandy is not invincible.

This is the best chance we’ve had to win a national championship since 85.

basedog
05-24-2019, 10:10 PM
So many were saying the tourney doesn’t matter, could care less and so on. Obviously our team played or performed like they didn’t care.
I can never understand that mentality. Never played any sport thinking that and never as a Coach.

So u guys who were saying that or thinking got ur wish. Hope we bounce back and we still have the talent to go far!

HailState.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:11 PM
This game meant nothing. I’m actually glad we lost. Need the rest and to reset. Some of you need to calm the F down. We have bigger goals than this tournament.

No offense- but this attitude is part of the issue. It's not you- it's a lot of our fans.

Anytime you play for anything it means something. Would I rather have a NC than a SEC Tournament title? Of course. But that still doesn't mean not winning the SEC Tournament isn't a big deal on some level.

The difference is LSU wants to win the SEC and the SEC Tournament AND the National Championship. That winning and competitive attitude carries over. Shotgun is right- we don't have enough scrappy players like LSU. I wouldn't be surprised if we have more MLB players on our team right now- but we need more Jake Mangum's.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:12 PM
So many were saying the tourney doesn’t matter, could care less and so on. Obviously our team played or performed like they didn’t care.
I can never understand that mentality. Never played any sport thinking that and never as a Coach.

So u guys who were saying that or thinking got ur wish. Hope we bounce back and we still have the talent to go far!

HailState.

Bingo.

Not to mention it's hard to turn the switch back on from "doesn't matter" back to "matters".

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Wonder why. Coach, left Self on the mound for so long? He clearly was just throwing meat.

I don't think he trusted anyone else or felt like he had anyone else available that could go that he trusted.

But I think he learned that he can maybe trust Cerentola and Price more. Price looked like he did before Tommy John or very close to me. Looks like he added a Luis Tiant move too.

Zildjan
05-24-2019, 10:21 PM

Lighten the @@@@ up.

Funny, but that bubble has burst.

Cooterpoot
05-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Nobody is pissed about losing. Well, W. TN is. It’s the embarrassing bullshit of an effort. They still have that 17ing MS on their chest. There was no pride at all tonight. First time I’ve been disappointed in Lemonis. He let them.

deadheaddawg
05-24-2019, 10:28 PM
Ole Miss has played awful for weeks and they are still in the SECT

Does that mean that's the real ole miss? Because it seems to me some people are thinking these last 3 days are the real us. I mean if it just boils down to pride and not wanting it.

I guess we aren't good. Ole Miss obviously a looking good for Omaha

Skydawg1
05-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Does that mean that's the real ole miss? Because it seems to me some people are thinking these last 3 days are the real us. I mean if it just boils down to pride and not wanting it.

I guess we aren't good. Ole Miss obviously a looking good for OmahaIf it comes down to it, I will be actively rooting for the NCAA 2 seed Ole Miss to beat the NCAA 2 seed LSU. #midweekmattersLSU

basedog
05-24-2019, 10:34 PM

I don't think our fans think the last 3 games are who we are. I think our players were like some of our fans this tourney didn't mean anything.

Baseball as we all know has ups and downs, we pitched good except for a few innings the last 3 games. But hitting was way down and it's a concern going into the Regional imo.
I like our chances in the Regional but I really think playing at home can make a big difference.

FriarsPoint
05-24-2019, 10:48 PM
I don't think our fans think the last 3 games are who we are. I think our players were like some of our fans this tourney didn't mean anything.

Baseball as we all know has ups and downs, we pitched good except for a few innings the last 3 games. But hitting was way down and it's a concern going into the Regional imo.
I like our chances in the Regional but I really think playing at home can make a big difference.

This is the correct answer

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:49 PM

Ole Miss has nothing to do with us at this point. At all.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 10:49 PM

Well said.

Lord McBuckethead
05-24-2019, 11:29 PM
I totally agree but there needs to be pride in that jersey every time we take the field. Tonight there was not.

Nope. We needed to get out of that tourney, rest up, reset our batting approach and get ready.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 11:44 PM
Nope. We needed to get out of that tourney, rest up, reset our batting approach and get ready.

No doubt we're going to see a lot of breaking balls out of the zone. We could set a NCAA regional record for walks if we make the right adjustments.

Dawg2003
05-25-2019, 05:36 AM
I just wonder about the mental head space of this team.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Round up the usual suspects. Meltdowns are us.

Saltydog
05-25-2019, 09:21 AM
I just wonder about the mental head space of this team.

That's the thing that concerns me a little. Even Jake appears frustrated and he's the undisputed leader of this team. His b.a. has dropped 55 points in the last month and he's k'ing a lot more. Mac is hurt and while Hatcher has hit he struggles defensively. Same could be said for Gilbert and Halter. Westburg is a liability anywhere you put him in the lineup right now. Self, sigh. Even Liebelt has struggled recently. It's not all bad though. We do have some guys that are playing well. TA has been smoking hot, Foscue is steady both in the field and with the bat. Small is Small. Plumlee has pitched well recently and Gordon has had a couple of decent outings lately. The rest of the pen is a concern though.

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Round up the usual suspects. Meltdowns are us.

This isn’t a melt. I think we’ll be fine next week.

Point of this thread was I don’t think when someone puts on the maroon baseball jersey, that it’s acceptable to play that way.

We’ve got some guys sulking that need to get over themselves

MarketingBully
05-25-2019, 11:42 AM
It’s embarrassing because that collection of whoever was out there yesterday was not what our team has been for 58 games this season. Vandy will literally run rule LSU today because they have no pitching. The kid and subsequent pitchers LSU threw out there yesterday were their scrubs. We should have feasted on his 86-88 mph flat fastball that he threw mainly down the middle of the plate but instead we scored two ****ing runs. The pitching finally melted down because of our idiot lineup not hitting. We crushed Eric Walker when he was in and then at the end of it all we got shut down by their walk-ons.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2019, 04:24 PM
This isn?t a melt. I think we?ll be fine next week.

Point of this thread was I don?t think when someone puts on the maroon baseball jersey, that it?s acceptable to play that way.

We?ve got some guys sulking that need to get over themselves

The initial post was.

MarketingBully
05-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Now real embarrassing considering LSU sucks ass this year.

chef dixon
05-25-2019, 07:06 PM
It is what it is.

LSU tucks their wiener against every other team this year except us and us pretty much the opposite.

Hope we don't get paired with them.

MarketingBully
05-25-2019, 07:08 PM
It is what it is.

LSU tucks their wiener against every other team this year except us and us pretty much the opposite.

Hope we don't get paired with them.

Listen to what you just said. How do you know they would even get out of their own regional?

chef dixon
05-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Listen to what you just said. How do you know they would even get out of their own regional?

Because they would they would be the best team in that regional and most likely to win? Obviously may not but they'd be the favorite

MarketingBully
05-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Because they would they would be the best team in that regional and most likely to win? Obviously may not but they'd be the favorite

La Tech, Southern, McNeese State have all played at Alex Box and beat LSU this year. They weren’t better but if Miami is the 2 they would be in trouble.

gravedigger
05-26-2019, 09:23 AM

We’ve got some guys sulking that need to get over themselves

This applies to message board posters WAY more than baseball players.

.....and why Yancy posted what he did. He knew there is a segment of our fanbase that couldn?t keep a couple trivial tournament games in perspective.

ArrowDawg
05-26-2019, 11:54 PM

I get attacked for saying what you just said here, but it's true. It wasn't that we lost that game, it was HOW we lost. LSU has the kind of culture where they refuse to lose, even though they might. Or you look at Vandy today in the championship game against OM. Teams like that can not and will not let the other team rest until the final out is recorded. That's why they've won national championships, and why they'll eventually win more. We've done a ton already to rebuild our program from the condition it was left in when Cohen took over, but I'm not yet convinced that our players from A to Z fully understand why it is we take the field in baseball, why it is we built that stadium, and why it is we're all so passionate. We want a championship. We want multiple championships. We were essentially the first in the SEC to care about such a thing 30+ years ago, but we dropped the ball while LSU came in and made the most of the gorilla ball era. Now the entire damn conference cares, and it's no longer just LSU we have to contend with. South Carolina has two. Florida has one. Georgia has one. LSU has all of theirs. Vandy has one. Arkansas is on the verge and should have had one last year. Hell, we might even wake up one day and deal with the sick reality that Ole Miss got hot at the right time and won a national championship in baseball while we're still sitting on a BIG, FAT ZERO. Just shoot me dead if that ever happens. I won't be able to take it.

John Cohen was quoted in 2013 saying "We have been to Omaha and just going ain't enough anymore."

DAMN RIGHT.

Todd4State
05-27-2019, 01:01 AM
I get attacked for saying what you just said here, but it's true. It wasn't that we lost that game, it was HOW we lost. LSU has the kind of culture where they refuse to lose, even though they might. Or you look at Vandy today in the championship game against OM. Teams like that can not and will not let the other team rest until the final out is recorded. That's why they've won national championships, and why they'll eventually win more. We've done a ton already to rebuild our program from the condition it was left in when Cohen took over, but I'm not yet convinced that our players from A to Z fully understand why it is we take the field in baseball, why it is we built that stadium, and why it is we're all so passionate. We want a championship. We want multiple championships. We were essentially the first in the SEC to care about such a thing 30+ years ago, but we dropped the ball while LSU came in and made the most of the gorilla ball era. Now the entire damn conference cares, and it's no longer just LSU we have to contend with. South Carolina has two. Florida has one. Georgia has one. LSU has all of theirs. Vandy has one. Arkansas is on the verge and should have had one last year. Hell, we might even wake up one day and deal with the sick reality that Ole Miss got hot at the right time and won a national championship in baseball while we're still sitting on a BIG, FAT ZERO. Just shoot me dead if that ever happens. I won't be able to take it.

John Cohen was quoted in 2013 saying "We have been to Omaha and just going ain't enough anymore."

DAMN RIGHT.

Forgive me if I've already said this in this thread...

I think we have Chicago Cubs syndrome. The players know how important a National Championship is. But like the Cubs when they got in the playoffs they used to choke repeatedly and play tight. Shoot- they even blamed a fan on a FOUL BALL in the stands for their bad luck. What basically happens is we get close and then the players press and or play tight. When you do that in baseball- bad things usually happen. The Cubs when they did win the World Series almost threw the ball away! But once that championship happens then belief and confidence permeate throughout the program. Believe it or not in the late 1980's LSU came close and didn't win a championship on their first few tries as well before breaking through in 1991.

Part of it is understandable and I think you kind of touched on it- after Pat McMahon left the focus of our program started to shift away from getting a National Title to whatever Ron Polk tried to make us in the 2000's. Greg Byrne made a conscious decision to shift the focus back to trying to win a title. In the meantime many of the other programs that you mentioned were building their programs up. So, in that regard we're kind of late to the party compared to the Florida's and Vanderbilt's who have been doing it for almost 15-20 years now.

The other thing that makes it understandable is if you look at even our best teams they have had fatal weaknesses. 1985 was top heavy. 2013 we had a guy who should have been our ace injured in Brandon Woodruff and along with Graveman we probably walk away with a title with those two instead of basically going Graveman and openers. Last year our pitching wasn't managed well and our catching situation was not good- and Oregon State ran us out of the park and eliminated us. 2016 we lacked enough bullpen to go to Omaha. And etc.

Basically we need to put together a more complete team than what we have been- both pitching and hitting wise. I think we're close this year- but there are some worrisome parts to our team as well. And I like Cohen's quote. He has been trying to change our fans attitude for years now. And it has- but we need to get away from "I don't care about the SEC West, SEC, or SEC Tournament" as a whole fan base. We're basically making excuses to make ourselves feel better and we need fans that need to be OK with failing sometimes while at the same time focusing on the larger goals.

Dawg2003
05-27-2019, 06:04 AM
I do think that the players press because they feel pressure to win a natty. I've wondered if it's getting to Jake because he feels like he should be the one to win one. Last year, they were just happy to be there with no expectations. Last year, the team had an underdog mentality that they've had to change this year.

MarketingBully
05-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Well apparently the committee noticed us getting shelled. Cost us 3 spots. We were a national seed but had we gone two and Q based on how they seeded us I bet that would of cost us a national seed.

gravedigger
05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Well apparently the committee noticed us getting shelled. Cost us 3 spots. We were a national seed but had we gone two and Q based on how they seeded us I bet that would of cost us a national seed.

You would have been wrong. The committee shuffled things around because OM deserved a regional and so did LSU after the grit they showed in the tournament. We fell a bit but I suspect it was so the regionals could get their teams shuffled properly. We wound up with about the best regional and super I could have imagined.

Meanwhile, Georgia and Arkansas got what many fans here were dreading. Supers vs pretty hot teams.

I?d have been fine matched up with LSU, but heck, it?s all about playing to our potential now. The other jersey wearers will be fairly tough from here on out.

Time to start another winning streak

Dawg2003
05-27-2019, 08:22 PM

We were never a 3 seed.