View Full Version : MLB Draft - Top-100 Watch List Is Out

The Federalist Engineer
05-24-2019, 01:30 AM
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

#56 Ethan Small

Our top rated recruit did not make the list, Landon Sims

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 01:38 AM
The only one that I feel like we don't have much of a chance of getting to MSU is Andre Tarver. We'll see about Ethan Hearn because I think he could go either way. I think we have a good chance with everyone else as long a team decides to reach a little bit in the top 15 rounds which is possible with some guys like Sims, KC Hunt, Logan Tanner, Will Bednar, and Jared Johnson.

Homedawg
05-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Keeping Hearn is a long shot at best.

msstate7
05-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Ealy at 77. If he's drafted there, OM or mlb?

KOdawg1
05-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Jerrion Ealy down to #77. He'll end up at OM

StarkVegasSteve
05-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Ethan Small probably will go up after last night's performance. He made one of the top hitters in college baseball look foolish multiple times. Bleday might be glad Jeter wasn't at the game last night.

Really Clark?
05-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Jerrion Ealy down to #77. He'll end up at OM

Austin Riley was at 106 in the MLB draft Top 200 in 2015. Drafted much higher. It all depends on what they are telling clubs about if they will sign if taken at a certain spot and if there is a club who likes him higher than 77.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Austin Riley was at 106 in the MLB draft Top 200 in 2015. Drafted much higher. It all depends on what they are telling clubs about if they will sign if taken at a certain spot and if there is a club who likes him higher than 77.

Does Kyler Murray change Ealy's outlook? It shouldn't since Kyler is a QB and Ealy is a RB but all it takes is one person in his ear to convince him that he will get Saquon Barkley type of draft pick. Whereas the truth is he might go 2nd or 3rd round and be out of the league in 4 or so years. At that point there is zero chance of a baseball career.

MLB is going to have to do something because more elite athletes will start going to other sports or just working around the Draft like Carter Stewart.

Really Clark?
05-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Does Kyler Murray change Ealy's outlook? It shouldn't since Kyler is a QB and Ealy is a RB but all it takes is one person in his ear to convince him that he will get Saquon Barkley type of draft pick. Whereas the truth is he might go 2nd or 3rd round and be out of the league in 4 or so years. At that point there is zero chance of a baseball career.

MLB is going to have to do something because more elite athletes will start going to other sports or just working around the Draft like Carter Stewart.

The Murray situation won’t have a bearing. He was already playing in college and it was an anomaly that he shot up the football draft boards at QB like he did. Now other dual sport college players may have to be looked at closer by MLB teams and where/if they draft them. But a HS kid won’t have the same issue.

As far as Carter Stewart, again you have a unique situation of a player drafted high that he and the club had every intention of signing when the draft happened. The break down occurred afterward. Whether you take the club side or not over possible wrist issue, they would have signed him last year.

ScoobaDawg
05-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Interesting Carter Stewart is listed at #59. notes the japan deal isn't official yet.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Interesting Carter Stewart is listed at #59. notes the japan deal isn't official yet.

I am going to guess that the Japan deal isn't final until after the MLB draft. It seems to be a place card until they know what the MLB is offering. Whoever drafts him is going to have to give more than 2 Mil or he is going to Japan.

KB21
05-24-2019, 11:22 AM
The only one that I feel like we don't have much of a chance of getting to MSU is Andre Tarver. We'll see about Ethan Hearn because I think he could go either way. I think we have a good chance with everyone else as long a team decides to reach a little bit in the top 15 rounds which is possible with some guys like Sims, KC Hunt, Logan Tanner, Will Bednar, and Jared Johnson.

You think Tarver is set on going pro?

Really Clark?
05-24-2019, 11:50 AM
I am going to guess that the Japan deal isn't final until after the MLB draft. It seems to be a place card until they know what the MLB is offering. Whoever drafts him is going to have to give more than 2 Mil or he is going to Japan.

Well he wasn’t ever getting drafted that high this year to even get a matching slot offer. So that’s a moot point for the MLB clubs.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 11:52 AM
You think Tarver is set on going pro?

Yes

KB21
05-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Yes

Does Jake Randa make it to campus?

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Does Jake Randa make it to campus?

Probably.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Well he wasn’t ever getting drafted that high this year to even get a matching slot offer. So that’s a moot point for the MLB clubs.

Yeah. He might as well get Rosetta Stone Japanese at this point.

Bothrops
05-24-2019, 12:42 PM
I think Ealy plays football. If it were us, he'd go MLB.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 01:47 PM
I think Ealy plays football. If it were us, he'd go MLB.

I think he may go the AJ Brown route and do both. I know he's rated 77 on that list but I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a flyer on him between the first and second round with a sandwich pick.

Homedawg
05-24-2019, 02:21 PM
I think he may go the AJ Brown route and do both. I know he's rated 77 on that list but I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a flyer on him between the first and second round with a sandwich pick.

But aj really didn't. It was more like protecting their rights in case he ever wanted too.
Now, I recognize, there is a huge difference between aj and Ealy as baseball players. Aj wasn't any good.

The Federalist Engineer
05-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Why do MSU give a shit about OM recruits so much? It's like us discussing Texas A&M here.

Landon Sims, Bednar, Hearns, and Tanner are stud horses we hopefully all get on Campus. That's what's matters here, the other dude looks like fake prospect to me. Like a 3 year 220 hitter that Ginn will will treat like a bitch.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Why do MSU give a shit about OM recruits so much? It's like us discussing Texas A&M here.

Landon Sims, Bednar, Hearns, and Tanner are stud horses we hopefully all get on Campus. That's what's matters here, the other dude looks like fake prospect to me. Like a 3 year 220 hitter that Ginn will will treat like a bitch.

Davis Rokose is going to be a very good player for us too. Think Jeremy Jackson with a much higher ceiling. He's only about 6'0" 180 and throws mostly in the high 80's but he also made Team USA and has pitched in some very prestigious showcases. I think he is also an academic walk-on too. He will be a weekend rotation guy for us by the time he leaves and I think he will contribute a lot right away.

I like Kamren James a lot too. He'll start in our infield at SS/3B/2B. He may be in the mix at third base next year although I think Halter or Landon Jordan will ultimately win it.

Dawg2003
05-25-2019, 07:38 AM
For people that know, does Jake Mangum have any chance of making it to the big leagues?

Todd4State
05-25-2019, 07:49 AM
For people that know, does Jake Mangum have any chance of making it to the big leagues?

Absolutely he has a chance to make it to MLB.