PDA

View Full Version : WR Isaiah Zuber seems to be a maybe for us

Coach007
05-23-2019, 12:56 PM
I'm seeing that he could be a target for us out of the transfer portal.

Stats here...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3916129/isaiah-zuber

Anybody else got a word?

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 01:04 PM
IYOK thinks Texas might be the team to beat. I hope we put on the full court press. This is a proven guy at a position of need who can immediately help us win football games. That makes him more important than any recruit that may be discussed on 247 or any recruiting board.

Johnson85
05-23-2019, 01:59 PM
I'm seeing that he could be a target for us out of the transfer portal.

Stats here...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3916129/isaiah-zuber

Anybody else got a word?

I think I'm going to end up hating the more lax transfer rules. Players probably should be able to transfer more freely, but it does take some of the fun out of it knowing that even when blue bloods screw up a position despite all possible advantages, they can still backfill with transfers.

vv83
05-23-2019, 02:03 PM
IYOK thinks Texas might be the team to beat. I hope we put on the full court press. This is a proven guy at a position of need who can immediately help us win football games. That makes him more important than any recruit that may be discussed on 247 or any recruiting board.

I want him too, why not, but I don't really agree with you here. He's another 5'11 possession guy. We need a stud grad transfer who goes and gets the deep ball

Coach007
05-23-2019, 02:06 PM
I think I'm going to end up hating the more lax transfer rules. Players probably should be able to transfer more freely, but it does take some of the fun out of it knowing that even when blue bloods screw up a position despite all possible advantages, they can still backfill with transfers.

I kinda like for places like MS ST. If they go to the bamas and are beat out by a depth chart of 4 players, we get a shot at them.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 02:25 PM
I want him too, why not, but I don't really agree with you here. He's another 5'11 possession guy. We need a stud grad transfer who goes and gets the deep ball

You are allowed to disagree but you are wrong. He's not a possession guy at all. He's a homerun threat and a very good punt returner. Line him up opposite Guidry and we can make some teams pay for stacking the box. By the way, OBJ is not available.

ejdallas322
05-23-2019, 02:36 PM
I wonder why Nigel Knott hasn't transferred yet.

Lord McBuckethead
05-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Agreed. He is the most important prospect right now.

vv83
05-23-2019, 03:32 PM
You are allowed to disagree but you are wrong. He's not a possession guy at all. He's a homerun threat and a very good punt returner. Line him up opposite Guidry and we can make some teams pay for stacking the box. By the way, OBJ is not available.

What are you basing this off of? The stats just dont scream homerun threat to me

fader2103
05-23-2019, 03:49 PM
I wonder why Nigel Knott hasn't transferred yet.

Maybe because he is seeing more action each year with Alabama and actually likes the program? Some student-athletes know they are not going to make it to NFL and stay on to keep their commitments to the program they signed with.

Walkerhill
05-23-2019, 03:51 PM
What are you basing this off of? The stats just dont scream homerun threat to me

Here is a junior season highlight package - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8rfWcCMXQI.

He definitely operates more on the outside. He is not really either a physical possession receiver or a speed demon type of deep threat. His game is based more on sound route mechanics, good body control and good hands. He is pretty shifty with the ball in his hands, He definitely is a big play guy at times, especially with mid to deep outside routes.

I think he would fit our offense really well. We have a need for that type of player and our offense would showcase home well.

On his stats, we played K-State past few years so you saw how that offense might have limited his stats. The qb play was spotty and they seemed more effective running than passing. I assume that is why he is transferring, to find a better place to showcase his skills as a senior.

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 03:59 PM
He's not Randy Moss, but he's better than anyone we currently have. Go after him if you have room, and if there is none, make room

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

If you are an NFL caliber punt returner, you aren't a possession receiver.

Goldendawg
05-23-2019, 04:37 PM
In the recruiting thread at 10:35 this morning, when IYOK was asked if he had any info, he stated that he may be leaving KSU due to some baggage and possibly facing suspension at the beginning of the season if he stayed. I'm sure we will do our due diligence, but I don't want to get someone else's issues though this lenient new transfer portal. It already looks like the wild, wild west and free agency for college players. I could see locker room issues if not handled carefully. JMO.

ejdallas322
05-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Maybe because he is seeing more action each year with Alabama and actually likes the program? Some student-athletes know they are not going to make it to NFL and stay on to keep their commitments to the program they signed with.
But he would have started already at State and has the talent to go to the NFL

3rdGen
05-23-2019, 08:45 PM
What are you basing this off of?

Duh........ he can catch the damn ball. We on the struggle bus in them big situations where we had to have some passing yards last year.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-23-2019, 08:55 PM
But he would have started already at State and has the talent to go to the NFL

Naw not really. He's a great athlete. He's never been a great football player. He wouldn't start at MSU this year.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2019, 11:30 PM
I kinda like for places like MS ST. If they go to the bamas and are beat out by a depth chart of 4 players, we get a shot at them.

But that means they aren’t good.

How are we supposed to beat Bama with guys that can’t play for them?

msstate7
05-24-2019, 06:31 AM

We aren't. It drives me crazy when we keep trying to come up with plans to try and beat Bama when can't consistently beat auburn and LSU.

Johnson85
05-24-2019, 09:54 AM

This is crazy. First, we have 11 games or more against teams other than Bama every season. It's much better to win those games, even if we do lose to Bama.

Second, anybody that improves us increases our chances of beating bama. Doesn't matter if they were fourth string at Bama, if it makes our weak link better, it makes it more likely that we will beat Bama.

Really Clark?
05-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Well to expand that out, then we shouldn’t sign players that Bama won’t sign either. If they are not good enough to be offered by Bama, then why waste our time recruiting those players? Obviously you do because of the simple fact we (and nearly every other school) can’t beat Bama by out recruiting them. Most teams have multiple starters that wouldn’t be on Bama’s 2 deep. If we try to beat Bama on the field by beating them in recruiting, it won’t ever happen as things stand today.

bulldawg28
05-24-2019, 10:10 AM
But that means they aren?t good.

How are we supposed to beat Bama with guys that can?t play for them?

Bama can only sign 25 players. There are way more than 25 quality players each year. Bama wouldn't have signed a lot of players we've signed that are now are in the NFL.

Dawg61
05-24-2019, 12:01 PM
If you are an NFL caliber punt returner, you aren't a possession receiver.

Plenty of slot/possession receivers have returned punts in the nfl before

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Naw not really. He's a great athlete. He's never been a great football player. He wouldn't start at MSU this year.

Agreed.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Bama can only sign 25 players. There are way more than 25 quality players each year. Bama wouldn't have signed a lot of players we've signed that are now are in the NFL.

Agree but that's not what he said. He said we needed Bama transfers. I wouldn't turn them down. Just saying that they probably aren't good.

thf24
05-24-2019, 12:42 PM

What notable punt returner in the modern NFL has/had average or worse speed and elusiveness?

HoopsDawg
05-24-2019, 04:46 PM

Lord help.

bulldawg28
05-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Agree but that's not what he said. He said we needed Bama transfers. I wouldn't turn them down. Just saying that they probably aren't good.

Gotcha, but I'm all for taking Bama transfers. The only one I remember was a Bama walkon Patrick Hanrahan that played under Mullen. He was legit and was a difference maker under Mullen.

Dawg61
05-25-2019, 02:12 AM
What notable punt returner in the modern NFL has/had average or worse speed and elusiveness?

Lord help.

Sorry both of you automatically think a possession receiver = slow

thf24
05-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Sorry both of you automatically think a possession receiver = slow

What is a possession receiver if not a nice term for a guy who can be counted on to run a good route and make a tough catch but doesn't have great YAC potential? Why would you want that guy returning punts, essentially one big YAC situation?

Again, who's a "possession" receiver in today's NFL who returns punts?

Dawg61
05-25-2019, 11:10 AM
What is a possession receiver if not a nice term for a guy who can be counted on to run a good route and make a tough catch but doesn't have great YAC potential? Why would you want that guy returning punts, essentially one big YAC situation?

Again, who's a "possession" receiver in today's NFL who returns punts?

Julian Edelman returned punts for the Pats last year. Wes Welker returned punts for a bunch of years. It doesn't get more "possession" receiver than Welker.