PDA

View Full Version : Todd Walker

justwin
05-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Was very unimpressed with his broadcast and his general preparation for the opposition to LSU. Never really listened to him much before, but was shocked at how much he only talked about his alma mater and the depth he went on each LSU player, their bio, commenting specifically on the LSU players plays, etc. I get that he's from there and obviously keeps up with it in depth, but it was like he was sitting in his LSU living room. At some point, if you're going to work for hte conference, need to be able to talk about other teams other than your alma mater.

Conversely, I think Ben McDonald, Burke, Deloci and the other former players who broadcast for SECN are fair and unbiased. Was really shocked at how oblivious Walker was to the other team.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Ben Mcdonald is one of the best! Insightful, intelligent funny and he respects every team out there not just lsu

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:32 PM
We need some MSU representation on SEC Network for baseball. Jay Powell maybe?

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Ben Mcdonald is one of the best! Insightful, intelligent funny and he respects every team out there not just lsu

Agree. And him talking about cooking possum was epic a couple of years ago because he was serious and you could feel the shock of the play by play guy.

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 12:34 PM
We need a guy in the booth. LSU has McDonald and Walker, Ole Miss has David Dellucci, hell, even Tennessee has Chris Burke

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Just said the same thing. Jay Powell would be fantastic. Maybe they could lure Jeff Brantley away from the Reds lol

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Just said the same thing. Jay Powell would be fantastic. Maybe they could lure Jeff Brantley away from the Reds lol

You know- Buck Showalter isn't doing anything right now. His segment on how to cork a bat on ESPN is awesome!

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Agree. And him talking about cooking possum was epic a couple of years ago because he was serious and you could feel the shock of the play by play guy.

Yep that was awesome! His stories are great! Also like him cause he encouraged JT to play college baseball.

Dawgfan77
05-23-2019, 05:06 PM
I?m not a fan of the guy.....I strongly dislike him

was21
05-23-2019, 06:08 PM
It's all about "the show". Jay Powell simply doesn't have the voice pipes for it..hell, Jim would be better than any of them

IMissJack
05-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Brantley?

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Yep that was awesome! His stories are great! Also like him cause he encouraged JT to play college baseball.

I did not know that. Ben is a great ambassador for college baseball. And I'll be honest- I like the SEC Network baseball personalities much better than the MLB ones on ESPN.

Brantley?

Brantley would be awesome. But the Reds job is very prestigious and I wouldn't expect him to take a step down to do the SEC Network. He announces with Marty Brennaman who is a legend in baseball announcing.

maroonmania
05-23-2019, 08:30 PM
I?m not a fan of the guy.....I strongly dislike him

He just isn't very good IMO.

maroonmania
05-23-2019, 08:32 PM
I did not know that. Ben is a great ambassador for college baseball. And I'll be honest- I like the SEC Network baseball personalities much better than the MLB ones on ESPN.

Brantley would be awesome. But the Reds job is very prestigious and I wouldn't expect him to take a step down to do the SEC Network. He announces with Marty Brennaman who is a legend in baseball announcing.

Would be a big step down for Brantley. Heck before he had the Reds broadcasting job he was a regular national ESPN baseball analyst on Baseball Tonight.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Yeah Ben talked to JT several times about enjoying the college experience and how exciting it was and pro ball would still be there after college. Bens a good dude. I agree on the Secn guys much better than the ESPN guys, much better!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-23-2019, 11:02 PM

So you want him to do what Todd Walker is doing but for us?

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Yeah Ben talked to JT several times about enjoying the college experience and how exciting it was and pro ball would still be there after college. Bens a good dude. I agree on the Secn guys much better than the ESPN guys, much better!

With Jessica Mendoza it just feels like she doesn't belong. I know it's a PC move. But it almost seems like A-Rod is giving her talking points between innings. It just sounds awkward- probably because she never played MLB and the fact of the matter is it's different than softball in many ways. A-Rod is not good himself either.

I wish they had Karl Ravech, Vasgersian or whoever as the play by play.

A pitcher like John Smoltz who can talk about being a starter or a relief pitcher.

A hitter like Mark DeRosa.

A stats nerd like Brian Kenny.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:04 PM
So you want him to do what Todd Walker is doing but for us?

I want him to do what Ben McDonald does. Yes, he is impartial for the most part but he does talk about LSU a fair bit. It wouldn't hurt having someone do that for us too.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 11:16 PM
With Jessica Mendoza it just feels like she doesn't belong. I know it's a PC move. But it almost seems like A-Rod is giving her talking points between innings. It just sounds awkward- probably because she never played MLB and the fact of the matter is it's different than softball in many ways. A-Rod is not good himself either.

I wish they had Karl Ravech, Vasgersian or whoever as the play by play.

A pitcher like John Smoltz who can talk about being a starter or a relief pitcher.

A hitter like Mark DeRosa.

A stats nerd like Brian Kenny.

Agree completely Espn has almost made it unwatchable. Arod and Mendoza are both horrible. Bring back Jon Miller and Joe Morgan or really anyone besides those two lol!

Dawgfan77
05-24-2019, 06:53 AM
He just isn't very good IMO.

He is a POS

timotheus
05-24-2019, 07:23 AM
I remember when Walker was being recruited and asked an Ole miss assistant if there was any duck huntin spots in oxfard. The coach didn't know how to answer the question and Walker never came on a visit. Coach said that all Walker wanted to do was hunt and play ball. He's just a country boy who could really rake a baseball and isn't polished yet on the TV.