PDA

View Full Version : Pitching situation not as bad as one would imagine after 17 innings.

No BS Dawg
05-23-2019, 07:21 AM
Looking back at box score, Smith, Gordon and James pitches the most. All could probably pitch again in a few days, if needed. Need quality starts by Small and Ginn and we will be ok. I believe a top 4 national seed was solidified with that win, so we gained plenty.

Hail State! Corn dogs are good in the early AM!

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Cole Gordon saved us.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Cole Gordon saved us.

Gordon incredible in the postseason again. He and Smith are pretty much done except for maybe on Sunday. We are set up now where Small, Ginn, and Plumlee could go tonight, Saturday and Sunday if we can keep winning.

If we lose tonight with Small. We can go Ginn Friday, Plumlee Saturday and back to James on Sunday. The issue last night was stranding too many runners in the first 5 innings.

basedog
05-23-2019, 07:58 AM
I was wrong thinking thinking Brandon Smith wasn't a good decision, now in saying this I wasn't upset just glad Lemonis gets paid the "big bucks".

Everything is icing on the cake now and probably was before but beating the Corndogs is always special.

Watching Westburg struggle is sad cause he has so much talent and is really going thru some bad times. Btw gotta be a happy moment for Gunner who has actually been pretty decent for a first year player from juco.

Cole Gordan had it going last night again, love how it doesn't seem to get rallied when things aren't going right.

Let's win this thing!

Jack Lambert
05-23-2019, 07:58 AM
Smith and Cole are done until regional. The others can help if needed. I am not sure about James.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Smart move by Lemonis to send Small back to the hotel in the 8th inning to rest up.

Ari Gold
05-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Skelton worries me more than the bullpen.
Going to be hard to send that kid back out there tonight after being catching every inning last night

basedog
05-23-2019, 08:08 AM
It was great seeing our players in the dugout having fun and looking loose compared to the Corndogs dugouts. Baseball is about having fun and our guys do that!

HailState!

basedog
05-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Skelton worries me more than the bullpen.
Going to be hard to send that kid back out there tonight after being catching every inning last night

Yes, but I really like our young freshman behind the plate, I said before tourney I hoped we would rest him. Hope he DH's today.

StarkVegasSteve
05-23-2019, 08:36 AM
A few thoughts in regards to our bullpen last night:

1. COLE 17 GORDON. It just seemed like he got better as the game wore on. He deserved to get the win in that one. I've never seen Lemonis walk out to the mound and not pull the pitcher, but you could tell Cole wanted that guy. Good to see postseason Cole has made his return.
2. Do we have a left handed pitcher that can throw strikes? Outside of Ethan I don't know that there's a LH on the roster that can consistently get it across the plate and into the zone. Barlow and Eagan both looked bad last night. Seemed like every pitch they threw was low and away.
3. I was pleasantly surprised with Keegan's performance. I thought there were a few times that it looked like he was going to self destruct and he got out of it. Especially there in the 16th inning to keep it from ballooning.
4. Leibelt was off last night. Didn't look like the sinker was working very well. But the good news is he didn't work very long and he'll probably be able to go again today.
5. I thought Self looked good in his limited action. I've said it before with Self, he's great for one inning, maybe two, but you cant stretch him any longer than that. He could be great in a set up role moving forward. Regardless though, he's a veteran arm and we'll need him down the stretch.

smootness
05-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Everything about starting Brandon Smith turned out well. We won, we now get at least 2 more, so we no longer have the risk of Ginn sitting around for 2 weeks between starts, and now we have Small going against Vandy. Perfect.

basedog
05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Not sure what has gotten into Westburg, I think if I made the lineup tonight I would move everyone up and put Westburg in the 6th or 7th spot. I think it would take a little pressure off of him, I don't think Lemonis will do that as he seems to make the correct decisions.

FriarsPoint
05-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Smith was impressive. All I wanted was a win over LSU. Don’t care what happens the rest of this tournament. Pulling hard for Auburn today.

The Federalist Engineer
05-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Cole Gordon saved us.

Gotta say that Keegan did great too. This is the nutty stat for me....

Gordon, Eagan, and keegan pitched 9 innings, 4-hits, and 1-Run!

Cole gave us 5 of the 9 innings, but that's pretty damn good for guys with ERA's north of 5 and many brutal outings that have been 0.1 Innings pitched.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Not sure what has gotten into Westburg, I think if I made the lineup tonight I would move everyone up and put Westburg in the 6th or 7th spot. I think it would take a little pressure off of him, I don't think Lemonis will do that as he seems to make the correct decisions.

I wouldn't mess with the order at this point in the season.

Jack Lambert
05-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Smith was impressive. All I wanted was a win over LSU. Don’t care what happens the rest of this tournament. Pulling hard for Auburn today.

Amen! I hate them.

Duckdog
05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AMEN, freak those people. Folks sure aren't chirping their stupid crap today at work. Its very nice!!!

Jack Lambert
05-23-2019, 09:49 AM
AMEN, freak those people. Folks sure aren't chirping their stupid crap today at work. Its very nice!!!

To be honest I think LSU days of dominance is gone. It will take a few more years for the media to lock on to that fact but it is.

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 09:52 AM

I would too. Gilbert would be a good 2-hole hitter imo. He's hitting the ball really well.

I get not messing with the lineup at this point though. We need Westy to figure it out though

Dawg2003
05-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Smith really impressed me. He is a legit starter if we get into a problem in regionals. God forbid that happen, but you never know. Or if Plumlee is off, he can step in. And we all knew Cole could go the distance, but it's good to see it again. We

Dawg2003
05-23-2019, 10:03 AM
To be honest I think LSU days of dominance is gone. It will take a few more years for the media to lock on to that fact but it is.

I agree. It always takes awhile for it to sink in.

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 10:57 AM
I agree. It always takes awhile for it to sink in.

Yep. You would have thought LSU was the 1 seed in the tournament based on the announcers.

StarkVegasSteve
05-23-2019, 11:02 AM
I would too. Gilbert would be a good 2-hole hitter imo. He's hitting the ball really well.

I get not messing with the lineup at this point though. We need Westy to figure it out though

As crazy as it is to say, I'd legitimately look at benching Westy today and put Halter at SS. He's so in his own head right now that a couple days off might do him good. Bat Rowdey 2nd and put Halter 7th or 8th.

R2Dawg
05-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Smart move by Lemonis to send Small back to the hotel in the 8th inning to rest up.

Yes it was. Getting more impressed with him every week. I also liked not pitching Small as well. Keep him on his rotation, we got bigger fish to fry and last night was a nice bonus.

R2Dawg
05-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Smith was impressive. All I wanted was a win over LSU. Don?t care what happens the rest of this tournament. Pulling hard for Auburn today.

Yes he was. Excited for that freshmen the next couple years. We're just reloading.

StateDawg44
05-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Yep. You would have thought LSU was the 1 seed in the tournament based on the announcers.

They are all annoyingly high on Vandy too.

StarkVegasSteve
05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
They are all annoyingly high on Vandy too.

The media is in love with Corbin because of how he built the program from "nothing". They act like it's impossible to win there when in actuality, with all the scholarship loopholes they take advantage of and the crackerbox they play in, it's pretty damn easy.

Scared_Hitless
05-23-2019, 11:34 AM
The best thing about last night is every bullpen arm that went in showed they have the ability to pitch. Leibelt struggled but we know what he brings. Cole is a stud and if that is what we can expect for the postseason he is going to be very valuable. Barlow, Eagan both gave us some work and looked good. Keegan is such a confusing case but man when he is on he has great stuff.

Brandon Smith is going to be really good here, we got a glimpse last night.

StateDawg44
05-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Eagan had me on the edge of my seat last night. He seemed to get us out of the situations but man I was nervous with him out there.

NCDawg
05-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Our 2 lefthanders, excluding Small, throw really hard and would be good pitchers if they could find the plate.

Bothrops
05-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Smith was impressive. All I wanted was a win over LSU. Don?t care what happens the rest of this tournament. Pulling hard for Auburn today.

+10

BuckyIsAB****
05-23-2019, 01:14 PM
The media is in love with Corbin because of how he built the program from "nothing". They act like it's impossible to win there when in actuality, with all the scholarship loopholes they take advantage of and the crackerbox they play in, it's pretty damn easy.

It aint easy in this conference and its even harder to win a natty

MarketingBully
05-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Everything about starting Brandon Smith turned out well. We won, we now get at least 2 more, so we no longer have the risk of Ginn sitting around for 2 weeks between starts, and now we have Small going against Vandy. Perfect.

He was awesome last night. His fastball was 92-94, and his two breakers worked awesome as well. He was definitely one of the stars of the game. I was wrong there.