PDA

View Full Version : That doesn't happen if we start Small

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 03:06 AM
Good night.

Skydawg1
05-23-2019, 03:08 AM
That was the basis of my "**** Lemonis" post in the game thread. Should never have gotten this far. Bullshit.

dantheman4248
05-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Yea we give up 2 in the first 3 innings and bitch and moan how we shouldn’t have pitched him.

We kept Ethan on normal rotation. We learned Brandon can pitch a good start for us if needed.

Hell we played a possible host team and gave up 5 runs in 17 innings of bullpen baseball. This is huge for confidence.

Activated Alpha
05-23-2019, 03:16 AM
Yea we give up 2 in the first 3 innings and bitch and moan how we shouldn?t have pitched him.

We kept Ethan on normal rotation. We learned Brandon can pitch a good start for us if needed.

Hell we played a possible host team and gave up 5 runs in 17 innings of bullpen baseball. This is huge for confidence.

Except for Westburg

preachermatt83
05-23-2019, 03:26 AM
What a dumb thread. We won, Smith was great, and u don’t start your ace early two weeks in a row. Good grief.

preachermatt83
05-23-2019, 03:27 AM
Yea we give up 2 in the first 3 innings and bitch and moan how we shouldn’t have pitched him.

Rep given.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 03:27 AM
Lol wut? Terrible thread

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 03:28 AM

Spot on

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2019, 05:33 AM
Good night.

I think I'll listen to Jake Mangum's opinion about your opinions -

hopsondawg22
05-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Todd is starting to sound like a former condom salesman. Glad the mayor called him out. Geez we have the best fans.

AROB44
05-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Good night.

From the fan who is never wrong. What a narcissistic post.

Jarius
05-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Lol

Rick Danko
05-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Dumb ass thread is dumb

somebodyshotmypaw
05-23-2019, 06:34 AM
That doesn't happen if we start Small. Good night.

You really don't know what would have happened if we had started Small. You can't predict the future. If you could, you would have bankrupted Las Vegas by now.

shoeless joe
05-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Also doesn’t happen if we break it open with a big hit in the first...

How you’re not employed in any capacity by a baseball organization is one of the real mysteries of life ***

Offshore Dawg
05-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Dumb ass thread is dumb

I has been obvious for years that there are several want to be college baseball couches posting that over value their opinion and are convinced that they are right.

msstate7
05-23-2019, 06:45 AM
I didn't stay up for the whole game. This thread was started at 3:06... was that when it ended?

msstate7
05-23-2019, 06:46 AM
Delete

BiscuitEater
05-23-2019, 06:50 AM
Good night.

Sour grapes much? Instead .. Brandon Smith, Cole Gordon, and Keegan James put on big boy pants and we got that lsu monkey off our backs.

And, now Small gets to face Vandy after 6 days.

Uncle Ruckus
05-23-2019, 06:53 AM
Baaaahahahahaha. Stick to flutes and trombones

BankerDog
05-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Your uncle definitely didn?t give you that advice. Stick to the band topics.

WinningIsRelentless
05-23-2019, 07:04 AM
Good night.
Please explain this thought process

Ari Gold
05-23-2019, 07:36 AM
Good night.

And we dont have Small for Vandy tonight... Good morning

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Good night.

Horrible Todd. You were wrong. Get it over.

KOdawg1
05-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Todd, you're normally a pretty good poster when it comes to baseball, but you missed on this one

MedDawg
05-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Good night.

Last night Brandon Smith gave up 2 ER in 4.1 innings. In Starkville, Ethan Small gave up 2 ER in 5.0 innings. Last night LSU still only had 2 runs after 7 innings.

Small wouldn't have gone much (or any) deeper than Smith did, so I don't see how you can say it would have turned out any different with Small vs LSU. Except we wouldn't have Small tonight against Vandy.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-23-2019, 07:59 AM
What a weird hill to die on man

Ari Gold
05-23-2019, 07:59 AM
The best thing and big picture about this start..
is we popped Smiths cherry somewhat last night.
Odds are if we make a run in Omaha he will have to make a start and with the way it’s set up , unless we run the table to getting to the finals , it will be in that best 2 of 3 for the Natty..
Kid now has a quality start under his belt .. in a somewhat pressure game and against a quality team
He won’t shit himself near as bad if he is called on in Omaha or even next weekend in the regional if needed to start which could be the final game if we drop one.

Again this may have not been the reason behind Lemonis starting him , but he looks pretty ****ing smart now that he did IMO
Besides the game going extras it was a perfect call on this staffs part..

basedog
05-23-2019, 08:06 AM
I thought we were wrong not starting Small but I wasn't pissed. Brandon Smith was so focused last night, love how the kid is a strike thrower, no doubt that game has to help his confidence going forward.

Maybe some games will go into extra innings today, forget the players being tired, I'm worn out but I can go some more today! LOL!

Hope last night knocked the Corndogs from hosting! Pulling for Auburn today as well.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Odds are if we make a run in Omaha he will have to make a start and with the way it’s set up , unless we run the table to getting to the finals , it will be in that best 2 of 3 for the Natty..
Kid now has a quality start under his belt .. in a somewhat pressure game and against a quality team
He won’t shit himself near as bad if he is called on in Omaha or even next weekend in the regional if needed to start which could be the final game if we drop one.

Again this may have not been the reason behind Lemonis starting him , but he looks pretty ****ing smart now that he did IMO

^^^^^^^ This is the proper perspective.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2019, 08:16 AM
We’re all wrong at some point. Not this wrong, but wrong. This was Westy trying to hit a curve wrong.

MarketingBully
05-23-2019, 08:18 AM

I agree. Pitching had nothing to do with last night. Aside from one bad pitch by Leibelt, the pitching was outstanding.

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2019, 08:21 AM

That's a good example of why I love Lemonis. Cool and steady.

shoeless joe
05-23-2019, 08:25 AM
We’re all wrong at some point. Not this wrong, but wrong. This was Westy trying to hit a curve wrong.

Funny and correct. And baseball is the game that bring a it out the most...the game of failure even when it comes to opinions.

smootness
05-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Hahahahaha

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond, but here we go:

We had given up 2 runs through 7 IP last night.
Small has pitched past 7 innings exactly 0 times this year.
In 7 of his 14 starts, Small had allowed 2+ runs upon his exit.

Here are the number of runs State as a team had allowed through 7 IP in his 14 starts:
#1 - 3
#2 - 0
#3 - 4
#4 - 1
#5 - 1
#6 - 4
#7 - 2 (against LSU, in which we then gave up 3 in the 8th and won....6-5)
#8 - 2
#9 - 0
#10 - 3
#11 - 2
#12 - 0
#13 - 0
#14 - 3

So in those 14 starts, we were better off through 7 than last night 6 times, in the same spot 3 times, and worse off 5 times.

THUMBS UP, TODD

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 08:43 AM
I didn't stay up for the whole game. This thread was started at 3:06... was that when it ended?

Yep

msstate7
05-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Yep

Wow, I will give Todd credit for staying up. Maybe the lack of rest got to him.

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Except for Westburg

What does this mean?

Activated Alpha
05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
What does this mean?

That this game gave our players confidence. This game was way worse for Westy. Every time he came up to bat, everyone in the stands and watching TV was calling for a ball in the dirt for strike 3. He did have that one good hit after they walked Mangum, but he was horrendous at the plate otherwise.

Now regarding Todd, he did say he would own up to his belief that Small should start LSU if it worked out in our favor when we didn't. Hopefully that will be the case

BayouDawg
05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
I didnt make it through the whole game but I am encouraged by last night. It was a game that didnt really matter to us in the long run but we kept battling until the very end and pulled it out. Thats a championship mentality to want to win every time you step on the diamond

smootness
05-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Now regarding Todd, he did say he would own up to his belief that Small should start LSU if it worked out in our favor when we didn't. Hopefully that will be the case

This thread seems to suggest that he, in fact, will not do that.

TNDawg35
05-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Maybe Todd is really Todd Walker? They both seemed pretty miserable after we won...

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Why would you want to start our ace a day early for a tournament that many of you were saying didn't matter just 2 days ago?

Emotional people

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Ha!

Just found it hilarious that the whole reason people wanted to start Smith was to save pitching and then we had a 17 inning game which I watched until the end.

Fortunately we won. Carry on.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Maybe Todd is really Todd Walker? They both seemed pretty miserable after we won...

Nope. Would be posting on LSU boards if I did.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 09:53 AM
This thread seems to suggest that he, in fact, will not do that.

This thread seems to suggest that y'all can't take a joke.

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Ha!

Just found it hilarious that the whole reason people wanted to start Smith was to save pitching and then we had a 17 inning game which I watched until the end.

But nobody predicted a 17 inning game.. That's not something you normally consider when making pitching decisions pre-game.. or am I incorrect here?

StateDawg44
05-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Lulz. Joke's on you brother. Don't back pedal.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Ha!

How would starting Small have changed the amount of innings it took for our offense to score runs? Small hasn't gone past the 7th inning and we had only gave up 2 runs going into the 8th. If you tell me Small pitched 7 innings and handed the bullpen a 4-2 lead then I am pretty damn pumped with that game. You might as well have said we should have started Gunner Halter at SS since Westburg struggled.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Lulz. Joke's on you brother. Don't back pedal.

You know he had 20 paragraphs of finger diarrhea already typed out hoping we lost so he could post it.

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Todd is awful. Just an idiot and a terrible person

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 11:01 AM

lol.

Bless your itty bitty heart. You don't even have the balls to stand by your post. Now you are back tracking.

yjnkdawg
05-23-2019, 11:17 AM

It has nothing to do with any of us taking a joke. You had been adamant about Lemonis should go with Small or he was screwing up if he didn't, based upon your SEC coaching knowledge ?. So actually the joke is on you. I think you have made some good posts in the past, but on this one you struck out. I'm glad Lemonis is making the decisions, since he is with the players and sees what they can do and not do on a daily basis instead of being a coach on a message board.

vv83
05-23-2019, 11:28 AM

Todd's usually a pretty good poster but this post is pretty dumb but that tweet was just horrible. Not sure what he was thinking on that. Glad Jake called him out. I will NEVER understand our fans (more importantly our semi pro ones that are in the spotlight more) tweeting things like this. He knows damn well players and coaches see that stuff. But definitely not a terrible person

yjnkdawg
05-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Todd's usually a pretty good poster but this post is pretty dumb but that tweet was just horrible. Not sure what he was thinking on that. Glad Jake called him out. I will NEVER understand our fans (more importantly our semi pro ones that are in the spotlight more) tweeting things like this. He knows damn well players and coaches see that stuff. But definitely not a terrible person

I think they are wanna be coaches on the field, and want to show their so-called expertise. Somebody who tweets stupid stuff concerning our athletic programs could probably care less who sees it . It seems it is all about the look at me me syndrome.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:37 AM
How would starting Small have changed the amount of innings it took for our offense to score runs? Small hasn't gone past the 7th inning and we had only gave up 2 runs going into the 8th. If you tell me Small pitched 7 innings and handed the bullpen a 4-2 lead then I am pretty damn pumped with that game. You might as well have said we should have started Gunner Halter at SS since Westburg struggled.

Small is less likely to allow the two runs that Smith did and therefore we don't burn up our pen.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:38 AM

God bless you.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:39 AM
It has nothing to do with any of us taking a joke. You had been adamant about Lemonis should go with Small or he was screwing up if he didn't, based upon your SEC coaching knowledge ?. So actually the joke is on you. I think you have made some good posts in the past, but on this one you struck out. I'm glad Lemonis is making the decisions, since he is with the players and sees what they can do and not do on a daily basis instead of being a coach on a message board.

No- I still think we should have started Small. The joke is everyone wanted to start Smith to save pitching and then we go 17 innings and use a bunch of pitchers.

But carry on.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:43 AM

I never understood why people judge whether a person is terrible or not based on what they see on social media when they never have met that person before in real life. It's not like I'm posting stuff that is racist, evil, or overtly hateful.

But yeah- I guess wanting us to start our ace makes me a terrible person.**

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:47 AM
I think they are wanna be coaches on the field, and want to show their so-called expertise. Somebody who tweets stupid stuff concerning our athletic programs could probably care less who sees it . It seems it is all about the look at me me syndrome.

Personally I just enjoy talking about baseball. The debate about what we should or shouldn't do is fun for me.

Tbonewannabe
Small is less likely to allow the two runs that Smith did and therefore we don't burn up our pen.

So one guy and we also don't know how well Smith would do. Small hasn't gone that much deeper into games than Smith did and you absolutely can't say Small wouldn't give up 2 runs since he did exactly that against LSU this year and it was at home. You just need to be man enough to say you were wrong and Lemonis ended up right on this one.

yjnkdawg
No- I still think we should have started Small. The joke is everyone wanted to start Smith to save pitching and then we go 17 innings and use a bunch of pitchers.

But carry on.

Here's carrying on, as you say. - It is all speculation on what Small would have done, or not done. I am just wondering what your excuse would have been if Small had started and then it ended up the same outcome or we even lost. Like I said I'm glad our coaches make those decisions.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:48 AM
lol.

Bless your itty bitty heart. You don't even have the balls to stand by your post. Now you are back tracking.

The way you are treating me suggests you don't have balls at all.

Does this make me a terrible person? Asking for a friend.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
So one guy and we also don't know how well Smith would do. Small hasn't gone that much deeper into games than Smith did and you absolutely can't say Small wouldn't give up 2 runs since he did exactly that against LSU this year and it was at home. You just need to be man enough to say you were wrong and Lemonis ended up right on this one.

You can't - and that's why I said less likely instead of would have.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Here's carrying on, as you say. - It is all speculation on what Small would have done, or not done. I am just wondering what your excuse would have been if Small had started and then it ended up the same outcome or we even lost. Like I said I'm glad our coaches make those decisions.

I wouldn't have criticized him for starting Small if it didn't work out.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Exactly, we even have a direct comparison that Small would give up 2 runs in 5 innings since that happened already this year. If we assume due to the facts then we would have been in the exact same situation

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Wanna be coach is right. But there is a reason people like Todd are not coaches. There is a reason Todd is running his mouth on Twitter and not coaching in the SEC tournament.

He doesn't have much expertise

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Wanna be coach is right. But there is a reason people like Todd are not coaches. There is a reason Todd is running his mouth on Twitter and not coaching in the SEC tournament.

He doesn't have much expertise

And you do? It's funny how someone with no expertise is qualified to judge other people without expertise.

And I'm the narcissistic one.**

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Exactly, we even have a direct comparison that Small would give up 2 runs in 5 innings since that happened already this year. If we assume due to the facts then we would have been in the exact same situation

You know you can't assume that's how his next start would go don't you?

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 12:04 PM
And you do? It's funny how someone with no expertise is qualified to judge other people without expertise.

Did I claim to have expertise? No I didn't. I work in commercial real estate and not baseball. Also unlike youI don't get on Twitter acting like an idiot after our team just busted their ass to win a game.

I do know 3 things for a fact though.

1) your tweets are an embarrassment to Mississippi State University.
2) you are not a coach for a reason
3) lemonis knows so much more than you do, it's comical watching you question him

dantheman4248
05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Give it a rest guy. You were wrong. Either admit that or stop posting. I don’t care which. Do it for yourself. You are already looking like an ass clown to all of the fan base thanks to your idiotic tweet.

As Herm Edwards would say, “DONT HIT SEND!”

Really Clark?
05-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Starting either one last night was the correct decision, depending on what you weighed as most important. BOTH were sound decisions regardless of the outcome of the game BEFORE the game started. Anybody who takes a hardline either way, just refuses to acknowledge each side. I probably start Small but starting Smith was not a wrong decision. Regardless of the outcome, as a coach you weigh what was important for that game in the overall scheme what you are trying to do and does starting either/or accomplish that? If so, then it’s the right decision. Even if Small gets blasted in 3 innings, it would have been the right decision BEFORE the game starts. Or if Smith gives us a great start, like he did and we lost, it could still be the right decision. It all depended on the priority the staff had in mind to accomplish what they wanted to do.

Everything that happened after the 9th inning is irrelevant hyperbole and has absolutely nothing to do with the starting pitcher debate BEFORE the game starts. Now that it happened you adjust, just like every other game/series/tournament.

StateDawg44
05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
I fully expect we are gonna have a "Told ya so" thread if Small pitches the way he has all year again tonight. Especially if the game finishes in 9.

A tough win isn't good enough to be happy with if it's not finished in 9 you know.****

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Did I claim to have expertise? No I didn't. I work in commercial real estate and not baseball. Also unlike youI don't get on Twitter acting like an idiot after our team just busted their ass to win a game.

I do know 3 things for a fact though.

1) your tweets are an embarrassment to Mississippi State University.
2) you are not a coach for a reason
3) lemonis knows so much more than you do, it's comical watching you question him

Did I claim to have expertise either? No.

Congratulating MSU baseball on Twitter is acting like an idiot and an embarrassment to MSU? Well...OK. Because that's what I did on Twitter after we won the game.

I'm not a coach because I don't want to be. If I wanted a job in baseball at some level I have enough connections to make that happen. I choose to be a fan and do what I do helping sick people because that's what terrible people do in real life and what i

I think Lemonis is a good coach and very rarely have criticized him. I was one of the few willing to give him a chance after the coaching search and very few had heard of him.

You need to learn how to separate the Internet from reality.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-23-2019, 12:26 PM
I fully expect we are gonna have a "Told ya so" thread if Small pitches the way he has all year again tonight. Especially if the game finishes in 9.

A tough win isn't good enough to be happy with if it's not finished in 9 you know.****
He’s already working on his’ dissertation to post, will probably just put some lame shit like good night if it doesn’t go how he wants.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Starting either one last night was the correct decision, depending on what you weighed as most important. BOTH were sound decisions regardless of the outcome of the game BEFORE the game started. Anybody who takes a hardline either way, just refuses to acknowledge each side. I probably start Small but starting Smith was not a wrong decision. Regardless of the outcome, as a coach you weigh what was important for that game in the overall scheme what you are trying to do and does starting either/or accomplish that? If so, then it’s the right decision. Even if Small gets blasted in 3 innings, it would have been the right decision BEFORE the game starts. Or if Smith gives us a great start, like he did and we lost, it could still be the right decision. It all depended on the priority the staff had in mind to accomplish what they wanted to do.

Everything that happened after the 9th inning is irrelevant hyperbole and has absolutely nothing to do with the starting pitcher debate BEFORE the game starts. Now that it happened you adjust, just like every other game/series/tournament.

On board with this.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 12:27 PM
To win big tournaments at some point you have to gamble with your pitching. Some coaches do it early, some ride starters, some use their bullpen often, some gamble late in tournaments but at some point you have to gamble. I've had my gambles payoff and I've had em fail(though I've been right more than I've been wrong lol). When they work you're a genius when they don't you're an idiot. The great thing about baseball is that more than one philosophy can be successful if your players execute.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:28 PM
He’s already working on his’ dissertation to post, will probably just put some lame shit like good night if it doesn’t go how he wants.

Us winning is how I want it to go. Sorry I didn't type more at 3 AM.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:29 PM
To win big tournaments at some point you have to gamble with your pitching. Some coaches do it early, some ride starters, some use their bullpen often, some gamble late in tournaments but at some point you have to gamble. I've had my gambles payoff and I've had em fail(though I've been right more than I've been wrong lol). When they work you're a genius when they don't you're an idiot. The great thing about baseball is that more than one philosophy can be successful if your players execute.

Also on board with this.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Same here just win baby!

StarkVegasSteve
05-23-2019, 12:32 PM
WE WON. Let's all agree none of us need to be coaching and just be glad we got the W. I for one would've benched our entire team twice last night and probably strangled Mainieri at home plate had I been the HC last night

smootness
05-23-2019, 12:32 PM
The joke is everyone wanted to start Smith to save pitching and then we go 17 innings and use a bunch of pitchers.

I'm not sure that's the main reason people thought it was a good idea to go with Smith. I don't think anyone would claim that starting Smith instead of Small is ever going to save pitching in that one game, since Small is always more likely to throw more innings than Smith.

The reasons you pitch Smith there are to keep Small on a more normal schedule and to give yourself the best chance at winning the Tournament.

StateDawg44
05-23-2019, 12:34 PM

No...no.... "Congrats to LSU on the win tonight. #HailState" was more than enough. I promise.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure that's the main reason people thought it was a good idea to go with Smith. I don't think anyone would claim that starting Smith instead of Small is ever going to save pitching in that one game, since Small is always more likely to throw more innings than Smith.

The reasons you pitch Smith there are to keep Small on a more normal schedule and to give yourself the best chance at winning the Tournament.

That's a good point and true but there were many that just wanted us to throw our midweek guys to save pitching.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:36 PM
No...no.... "Congrats to LSU on the win tonight. #HailState" was more than enough. I promise.

I agree. To the point. I think I added in good night for good measure though.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:39 PM
WE WON. Let's all agree none of us need to be coaching and just be glad we got the W. I for one would've benched our entire team twice last night and probably strangled Mainieri at home plate had I been the HC last night

Yes! And Manieri checking Cole's glove didn't phase me. Surprised he waited until the 13th to do it.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 12:46 PM
That's a good point and true but there were many that just wanted us to throw our midweek guys to save pitching.

No, everybody was wanting to protect Small's arm by letting him go the full rest he's used to. Why in the hell would anybody think starting Smith would save pitching? That doesn't even make sense. Nobody was saying that

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 12:51 PM
No, everybody was wanting to protect Small's arm by letting him go the full rest he's used to. Why in the hell would anybody think starting Smith would save pitching? That doesn't even make sense. Nobody was saying that

Save our main guys that we use the most. Some were wanting to throw the guys that don't pitch a lot and mainly use midweek. Which is kind of what ended up happening anyway to an extent.

StarkVegasSteve
05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Yes! And Manieri checking Cole's glove didn't phase me. Surprised he waited until the 13th to do it.

If Hess would've went back out there in the bottom half I bet Lemonis would've checked his glove. Hess would've short circuited. He's way too high strung to not let something like that affect him.

smootness
05-23-2019, 12:56 PM

But we knew Small was pitching in this tournament regardless, and since we're really good, there was a decent chance we'd play at least 3 in this thing. So we couldn't just throw midweek or weak pitching the whole time.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it was never a legitimate reason to not throw Small. The main reasons were the ones I listed.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2019, 01:03 PM
You know you can't assume that's how his next start would go don't you?

It is probably more likely than you just saying Small would throw a complete game shutout and save our pen. Now if we had a 8 or 9 run game going into extra innings then maybe Small would have been the difference but our guys didn't over extend through 7 innings with a 2 run lead. You are taking a bigger leap in logic than expecting Small to just throw 7 innings with only giving up 2 runs.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Save our main guys that we use the most. Some were wanting to throw the guys that don't pitch a lot and mainly use midweek. Which is kind of what ended up happening anyway to an extent.

Dude, you are looking pretty bad. You were wrong before the game, you were wrong during the game, and you were wrong with your Twitter post and message board. Own it, admit it and move on.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 01:08 PM
If Hess would've went back out there in the bottom half I bet Lemonis would've checked his glove. Hess would've short circuited. He's way too high strung to not let something like that affect him.

Hess is a complete head case. That would have been hilarious if Lemonis checked his glove because he probably would have threatened our dugout.

Or had an aneurysm from celebrating throwing a strike after the glove check.

Homedawg
05-23-2019, 01:10 PM

This. Keeping small on or near his day so moving him up 2 days. Plus the added chance of winning a tournament. Some of the guys we burned yesterday could come back Sunday if needed for an inning or two. Small would have been wed and done. It was never a question of smith vs small. Pretty obvious that everyone would pick small if we had one game to play. But our season starts next week not this one.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 01:10 PM
It is probably more likely than you just saying Small would throw a complete game shutout and save our pen. Now if we had a 8 or 9 run game going into extra innings then maybe Small would have been the difference but our guys didn't over extend through 7 innings with a 2 run lead. You are taking a bigger leap in logic than expecting Small to just throw 7 innings with only giving up 2 runs.

Woah- I never said this Small would have thrown a complete game. With the way he runs up his pitch count I would have expected 6. Maybe 7 if we're fortunate but I'm not throwing him more than 100 pitches max.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 01:12 PM
Dude, you are looking pretty bad. You were wrong before the game, you were wrong during the game, and you were wrong with your Twitter post and message board. Own it, admit it and move on.

I told Jake on Twitter I was glad that I was wrong.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 01:13 PM

Yeah, there's some scrambling going on.

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Great post.

MarketingBully
05-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Guys, can we quit with bitching at each other because our fans are bitching at players? We are all fans here and should be pulling in the same direction. Also, everyone quit bitching about the game threads!!!! If you don’t like what’s in there DONT READ THEM. Game threads in general on any “fan” message board essentially look like ours no matter what message board you go to unless of course it’s a paid website and even then essentially they look similar as well.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Woah- I never said this Small would have thrown a complete game. With the way he runs up his pitch count I would have expected 6. Maybe 7 if we're fortunate but I'm not throwing him more than 100 pitches max.

But Small would improve our chances of winning in 9 innings? We went into extra innings because our hitters couldn't score runners from 3rd, starting Small wouldn't have made a difference. At the end of the day Lemonis rolled the dice to give us the best chance to win the SEC tourney and match up with Vandy. It worked out and we should all be happy.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2019, 01:22 PM

Agree - with the exception of CommerceComet. I'd play for that guy any day.

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Guys, can we quit with bitching at each other because our fans are bitching at players? We are all fans here and should be pulling in the same direction. Also, everyone quit bitching about the game threads!!!! If you don?t like what?s in there DONT READ THEM. Game threads in general on any ?fan? message board essentially look like ours no matter what message board you go to unless of course it?s a paid website and even then essentially they look similar as well.

Wait. You want us to all pull together.... except in threads where we disagree, then we should just not read them? Which is it?

Could you just take your own advice not read this thread? Why do you want us to "pull together" when a fan does something stupid, but when the team does something stupid, we can stop pulling together and just ignore what we don't like?

No. Our fans that use every single little thing as an excuse to be critical of the team and coaches should be ok with being treated the same way. Their posting can be called out the same as the team gets called out

drunkernhelldawg
05-23-2019, 02:20 PM

I was groggy this morning. But now I remember that the first thing I saw looking for result of the game was this damn tweet. I went an hour thinking we had lost.

ejdallas322
05-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Todd has someone hacked all of ur accounts because this is a very dumb opinion and not to mention ur tweets. We need Small more than anything for Vandy. Smith pitched well. I was surprised when I found out he was a freshman. He's gonna be a good one for the future.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Agree - with the exception of CommerceComet. I'd play for that guy any day.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! I've spent most of my life on baseball fields and was pretty successful at it, BUT I in no way, shape or form consider myself
as knowledgeable as these sec coaches. They are at the very top of their profession for a reason. The great thing about baseball is you can be successful with almost any philosophy provided you teach fundamentals and execution.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 04:43 PM
But Small would improve our chances of winning in 9 innings? We went into extra innings because our hitters couldn't score runners from 3rd, starting Small wouldn't have made a difference. At the end of the day Lemonis rolled the dice to give us the best chance to win the SEC tourney and match up with Vandy. It worked out and we should all be happy.

IMO yes. Obviously. Let's say we get 6 IP out of Small and they go with Walker and we leave with a 4-0 or 4-1 lead then we go with Barlow when their lefties were up whether that was the 7th or 8th, and Leibelt in the other inning and then I would have gone with Gordon because the umpire was calling big curveballs strikes. All things being equal we are more likely to win in 9 innings 4-2 and then we have Gordon available for more than just Sunday.

Now yes, Lemonis rolled the dice and it did work and I am happy that it did ultimately work out for now. And it could be that both ways would have worked well and LSU was screwed no matter what- which to me is what appears to be the case more than likely. In baseball it's not about black and white cut and dried right and wrong- it's about the odds of something working or not and pretty much every thing that happens and every decision has a chance of working and a chance of not working. It's about what odds of something working are higher typically. But sometimes you roll the dice and it works too.

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 04:49 PM
IMO yes. Obviously. Let's say we get 6 IP out of Small and they go with Walker and we leave with a 4-0 or 4-1 lead then we go with Barlow when their lefties were up whether that was the 7th or 8th, and Leibelt in the other inning and then I would have gone with Gordon because the umpire was calling big curveballs strikes. All things being equal we are more likely to win in 9 innings 4-2 and then we have Gordon available for more than just Sunday.

Now yes, Lemonis rolled the dice and it did work and I am happy that it did ultimately work out for now. And it could be that both ways would have worked well and LSU was screwed no matter what- which to me is what appears to be the case more than likely. In baseball it's not about black and white cut and dried right and wrong- it's about the odds of something working or not and pretty much every thing that happens and every decision has a chance of working and a chance of not working. It's about what odds of something working are higher typically. But sometimes you roll the dice and it works too.
Small's ERA is 1.85, right?

You're guaranteeing he doesn't get 2 scored on him? I mean this is just a ridiculous take man.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Wait. You want us to all pull together.... except in threads where we disagree, then we should just not read them? Which is it?

Could you just take your own advice not read this thread? Why do you want us to "pull together" when a fan does something stupid, but when the team does something stupid, we can stop pulling together and just ignore what we don't like?

No. Our fans that use every single little thing as an excuse to be critical of the team and coaches should be ok with being treated the same way. Their posting can be called out the same as the team gets called out

Fine with me and it doesn't bother me.

I've had family in this game that has been criticized before. My uncle was actually attacked by a waiter in Kansas City because he had a bad game. MSU fans have booed my Dad before when he was a player there too. At the same time- both have gotten ovations, cheered, and supported which honestly happened much more than the criticism. My Dad taught me that the further you go along in baseball and sports in general it stops becoming about "just fun" and you get more people that are going to be critical. But of course the further along you go you also get more good things like money and etc.

But my experience in life has taught me that if you attack people that do things that you don't like or disagree with it typically doesn't work very well and usually doesn't change their opinion.

BiscuitEater
05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Ha! Just found it hilarious that the whole reason people wanted to start Smith was to save pitching and then we had a 17 inning game which I watched until the end.

If you don't see ANY positives of what happened last night, you gotta bigger issues.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Small's ERA is 1.85, right?

You're guaranteeing he doesn't get 2 scored on him? I mean this is just a ridiculous take man.

Again- there are no "guarantees". And I have not made any. Read what I said about odds again. And with an ERA of below 2 I would say that those odds are statistically possible.

My ridiculous take is the same strategy Polk used to win the 2005 SEC Tournament.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 04:58 PM
If you don't see ANY positives of what happened last night, you gotta bigger issues.

WTF? I said I'm glad we won. We beat LSU. I would say that's all of that is positive.

Apparently your comprehension issues are bigger than any of mine.

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Again- there are no "guarantees". And I have not made any. Read what I said about odds again. And with an ERA of below 2 I would say that those odds are statistically possible.

My ridiculous take is the same strategy Polk used to win the 2005 SEC Tournament.

Possible. Sure but it's not like ya freshmen went out there and got rocked so it's a weird point to try to make.

BiscuitEater
05-23-2019, 05:15 PM
WTF? I said I'm glad we won. We beat LSU. I would say that's all of that is positive.

Your OP said .. That doesn't happen if we start Small Good night. Sorry BUT, nobody knows WHAT happens if we start Small. Sorry if you can't see it BUT you're making this about YOU and your EGO, not about supporting MSU baseball. State saw 3 different pitchers throw their hearts out, we found a 4th starter in Smith. Even Keegan James stepped up when some of OUR so called 'fans' were dog cussing him and some of OUR other players on these boards. Instead of helping, you are hellbent on dissing Lemo's decision to start Smith.

Get over it.

Todd4State
05-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Your OP said .. That doesn't happen if we start Small Good night. Sorry BUT, nobody knows WHAT happens if we start Small. Sorry if you can't see it BUT you're making this about YOU and your EGO, not about supporting MSU baseball. State saw 3 different pitchers throw their hearts out, we found a 4th starter in Smith. Even Keegan James stepped up when some of OUR so called 'fans' were dog cussing him and some of OUR other players on these boards. Instead of helping, you are hellbent on dissing Lemo's decision to start Smith.

Get over it.

You'll have to forgive me for not pointing all the positives and I usually do go more in depth with my thoughts but not at 3 AM in the morning while I was supporting MSU baseball last night by watching them.

What other people are or aren't doing to the players isn't my problem nor is it my responsibility to police that. (That's what you seem to be suggesting I should be doing?) Because ironically my ego isn't big enough to do that.

It's sound to me like you let people bother you too much.

gravedigger
05-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Holy shit. I was conceited enough to believe I was the only one who noticed this.

Essentially, you can easily tell that those who start with the most inflammatory comments about our players and coaches have the LOWEST tolerance for getting that treatment.

Deadhead, have some rep

Homedawg
05-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Man Todd you have dug your heels in like I can't believe. Let it go bro.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Get over it.

Buddy, you have done nothing on this board today but attack other posters...why don't you follow your own advice and get over it and STFU. Guys like you are 10 x worse than anybody you're bitching about.

And I actually agree about Todd sticking his foot in his mouth. I just think you're a tool for never saying shit on here except to talk shit to other posters

deadheaddawg
05-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Man Todd you have dug your heels in like I can't believe. Let it go bro.

It's a very remarkable heel digging. Despite being made to look silly for 6 pages he still doesn't admit how terrible everything he posted/tweeted was.

Surely he is aware that his post were absurd and he just lacks the courage to admit it. He cant lack that much self awareness

mstatefan91
05-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Does tonight prove Todd wrong? Ethan went out there and only gave up 1 run and 1 run was scored the entire game... Wouldn't have mattered if we had asked Jake Mangum to pitch because we couldn't score...

Anyway.. interesting/good discussion.

Todd4State
05-24-2019, 01:52 AM
Does tonight prove Todd wrong? Ethan went out there and only gave up 1 run and 1 run was scored the entire game... Wouldn't have mattered if we had asked Jake Mangum to pitch because we couldn't score...

Anyway.. interesting/good discussion.

Based on what we know now- I think we beat LSU either way- but I do think we do it in 9 IP with Small as opposed to 17 and lose to Vanderbilt either way regardless of how the LSU game went. Because you can't win if you can't score. Starting Small against LSU would give us a fresher bullpen right now. But starting Smith gives us a better chance to get through the loser's bracket because I think Ginn has a better chance of beating LSU than Plumlee- although Plumlee would have been fine and would have a good chance of beating LSU also. Starting Small on Weds would mean that if we had gotten to Saturday we would have had to have gone with Smith which I think would have been OK but then had we made the championship we would have had to have gone with a bullpen by committee against Arkansas or Ole Miss- but we would also have a much fresher bullpen. The way we did it we will start Plumlee Saturday if we beat LSU and I suspect we'll go back with Smith or a committee on Sunday if we get to the championship game. Not sure what kind of pitch count Smith would be on since he threw 71 pitches yesterday so I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Eagan or Keegan James or someone like that to start with.

To me- it looks about equal either way and I guess it depends on whether you prefer having a fresher bullpen throughout the tournament or a better starter for the championship game likely on a pitch count if we get that far.

basedog
05-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Actually Todd, right now today, it doesn't matter, coaches and players want be looking back, pretty sure it's all about Lsu today.

It proves nothing who should have started right now because it's all history and we can't do a do over.

Small made some money pitching against Vandy, he is amazing who seems to be getting better.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Actually Todd, right now today, it doesn't matter, coaches and players want be looking back, pretty sure it's all about Lsu today.

It proves nothing who should have started right now because it's all history and we can't do a do over.

Small made some money pitching against Vandy, he is amazing who seems to be getting better.

Small gave us a chance yesterday as well as Smith to win on Thursday. Both games our hitters let us down so you can't exactly plan on not scoring runs and we very well probably should have at least went into extra innings yesterday. Lemonis gambled on the LSU game and won that gamble. Having every pitcher on the staff yesterday wouldn't have mattered anything since our staff only gave up 1 run on a bloop hit. The only thing that would have been different is we would have burned Ginn yesterday and probably still lost and we would have eliminated any chance on winning the tourney.

StarkVegasSteve
05-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Based on what we know now- I think we beat LSU either way- but I do think we do it in 9 IP with Small as opposed to 17 and lose to Vanderbilt either way regardless of how the LSU game went. Because you can't win if you can't score. Starting Small against LSU would give us a fresher bullpen right now. But starting Smith gives us a better chance to get through the loser's bracket because I think Ginn has a better chance of beating LSU than Plumlee- although Plumlee would have been fine and would have a good chance of beating LSU also. Starting Small on Weds would mean that if we had gotten to Saturday we would have had to have gone with Smith which I think would have been OK but then had we made the championship we would have had to have gone with a bullpen by committee against Arkansas or Ole Miss- but we would also have a much fresher bullpen. The way we did it we will start Plumlee Saturday if we beat LSU and I suspect we'll go back with Smith or a committee on Sunday if we get to the championship game. Not sure what kind of pitch count Smith would be on since he threw 71 pitches yesterday so I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Eagan or Keegan James or someone like that to start with.

To me- it looks about equal either way and I guess it depends on whether you prefer having a fresher bullpen throughout the tournament or a better starter for the championship game likely on a pitch count if we get that far.

You hit the nail on the head. It doesn't matter, cause we didn't score.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 11:16 AM
You hit the nail on the head. It doesn't matter, cause we didn't score.

Small hands down gave us the best chance to win that game but you don't beat anyone scoring zero runs. Right now we are anticlutch. Runners in scoring positions just tightens up the batters butthole. We couldn't even get a fly ball on Thursday on multiple at bats.