PDA

View Full Version : Ole miss Rebs???

Cowbell
05-21-2019, 08:59 PM
I noticed on the OM baseball Facebook page that everything was #rebs. #RoadRebs. #RebsBSB. (I was just going over there to see if they had won -turns out they have turned their season around**.

Anyway, I?m so confused by their mascot situation. I thought the official university pages would have quit using Rebs by now. That?s not even their mascot anymore plus the political side of it.

BTW, I don?t recommend anyone going over there. I took a screenshot for an example but apparently this site has built in Gaydar and rejected it....

Dawg2003
05-21-2019, 10:22 PM
I still can't believe they have Rebels on their uniforms. I am about the least PC person you will find, but you have to evolve beyond having a Confederate general as your mascot. That's just pitiful.

ScoobaDawg
05-21-2019, 10:36 PM
Meanwhile you all just keep skipping over the most racist part of their uniform...

Homedawg
05-21-2019, 11:14 PM
I noticed on the OM baseball Facebook page that everything was #rebs. #RoadRebs. #RebsBSB. (I was just going over there to see if they had won -turns out they have turned their season around**.

Anyway, I?m so confused by their mascot situation. I thought the official university pages would have quit using Rebs by now. That?s not even their mascot anymore plus the political side of it.

BTW, I don?t recommend anyone going over there. I took a screenshot for an example but apparently this site has built in Gaydar and rejected it....
They are still the rebels. They just use the land shark as their on filed symbol as mascot.

Choctaw Dawg
05-22-2019, 07:53 AM
There is a reason they don't have a chancellor yet. A massive shitstorm is brewing in oxford with the mascot and school name affliliation with the Confederacy. Kinda feel for the doofus thats about to walk into all this cause he has some decisions he has to make.

Jack Lambert
05-22-2019, 08:03 AM
I still can't believe they have Rebels on their uniforms. I am about the least PC person you will find, but you have to evolve beyond having a Confederate general as your mascot. That's just pitiful.

Either do or don't do it. What they are doing is asinine. Ole Miss has become the biggest joke in college sports.

Saltydog
05-22-2019, 08:15 AM

He never made it to General. Highest he got was Colonel.

Liverpooldawg
05-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Meanwhile you all just keep skipping over the most racist part of their uniform...

yep

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-22-2019, 09:23 AM

What’s the most racist part of their uniform?

Jack Lambert
05-22-2019, 09:58 AM
He never made it to General. Highest he got was Colonel.

He was a Lt. Col.

Liverpooldawg
05-22-2019, 10:16 AM

The name "Ole Miss." Look it up.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Read my signature...this was on their OFFICIAL website until I and some other MSU fans started posting it everywhere.
Note the address of the webpage and what is highlighted. This isn't some fake meme or twitter post.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121102143105/http://www.olemiss.edu:80/conf/welcometable/whyOM.html

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I see what y’all are saying.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I see what y’all are saying.

Yep that wasn't the first time that was said in their history about the meaning..but they sure were proud enough to leave it up for 10+ years online.

Tbonewannabe
05-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Yep that wasn't the first time that was said in their history about the meaning..but they sure were proud enough to leave it up for 10+ years online.

They have rewritten history now and are trying to deflect but still keep everything. The bottom line is the old money loves "the South will rise again".

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2019, 12:21 PM
They have rewritten history now and are trying to deflect but still keep everything. The bottom line is the old money loves "the South will rise again".

Never let them forget it, they can't rewrite a racist terms meaning to sugarcoat it. It is what is and it's time they remove the term "Ole Miss" and remove the Rebels.

fishwater99
05-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Read my signature...this was on their OFFICIAL website until I and some other MSU fans started posting it everywhere.
Note the address of the webpage and what is highlighted. This isn't some fake meme or twitter post.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121102143105/http://www.olemiss.edu:80/conf/welcometable/whyOM.html

I still don't understand why there are not protests in Oxford for changing the name of the School from Ole Miss Rebels to Mississippi Landsharks...

It needs to happen.

How can we help facilitate this change?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-22-2019, 01:12 PM
The name "Ole Miss." Look it up.

I think "H*tty T*ddy" is more embarrassing than "Ole Miss"

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2019, 01:23 PM

Ones a drink. Ones a racist term. I don't see the comparison.

Liverpooldawg
05-22-2019, 02:26 PM

"Ole Miss" is a direct reference to the wife of the master of a plantation. That doesn't compare to a potty mouth cheer with reference to a drink.

Jack Lambert
05-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Some Army Paratrooper came home from WWII with the Paratrooper chant and Ole Miss dicked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs90IdCJV8

BeardoMSU
05-22-2019, 02:56 PM
"Ole Miss" is a direct reference to the wife of the master of a plantation. That doesn't compare to a potty mouth cheer with reference to a drink.

That, coupled with their "university grey's" uniforms....it doesn't take a scholar to connect the dots of who OM is paying homage to.

Then when you add...

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e753757e529fad6f95c1da307a7c429984ec7566/c=63-0-1925-1400/local/-/media/2015/06/23/USATODAY/USATODAY/635706677214511928-AP-OLE-MISS-FLAG.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=crop

BuckyIsAB****
05-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Jesus who cares...let them be whatever they want. They have tons of black athletes that play for them every single game. They couldnt care less.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Jesus who cares...let them be whatever they want. They have tons of black athletes that play for them every single game. They couldnt care less.

You do..enough to respond. I'm all about moving the state forward. I'm sick and tired of MS being looked at as the armpit of the south with racial issues. Do away with that crap.
Rip every bit of their history from there. Ruin them.

fishwater99
05-22-2019, 05:20 PM
You do..enough to respond. I'm all about moving the state forward. I'm sick and tired of MS being looked at as the armpit of the south with racial issues. Do away with that crap.

^^This and I live in Colorado..

BuckyIsAB****
05-22-2019, 05:32 PM

I think you might care a little bit too much what people think. What they are called or what they wear on their uniforms has 0 impact on us whatsoever. Im just wondering why OM's moniker is constantly being discussed on a State board, I know we have more important things to melt over.

BeardoMSU
05-22-2019, 05:36 PM
Im just wondering why OM's moniker is constantly being discussed on a State board

Because it's bigger than sports.....

As someone who lives out of state, trust me when I say it matters. Up here it's not "the Ole Miss Confederates blah blah blah"....it's "the state of Mississippi blah blah blah". That shit drags us down, and it goes beyond sports rivalry or PC debate bullshit.

BuckyIsAB****
05-22-2019, 05:41 PM
Because it's bigger than sports.....

As someone who lives out of state, trust me when I say it matters. Up here it's not "the Ole Miss Confederates blah blah blah"....it's "the state of Mississippi blah blah blah". That shit drags us down, and it goes beyond sports rivalry or PC debate bullshit.

To each his own I guess. I wasnt trying to jump anyone's ass I was just saying. Im pretty sure LSU, Bama and just about every school in the SEC have connections to the Confederacy. I could be wrong but I think LSU is named the Tigers after a Confederate division or regiment or something who were nicknamed the Fighting Tigers, Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer from Bama is named after a part of Confederate uniforms of soldiers from Alabama, they had some yellow on it or something and Stephen D. Lee, the first president of MSU was a confederate officer.

If somebody who lives in Illinois sits around and bitches on a message board or to someone else about how bad MS is or hates OM bc their name is the Rebels then whatever who cares

Really Clark?
05-22-2019, 06:01 PM
To each his own I guess. I wasnt trying to jump anyone's ass I was just saying. Im pretty sure LSU, Bama and just about every school in the SEC have connections to the Confederacy. I could be wrong but I think LSU is named the Tigers after a Confederate division or regiment or something who were nicknamed the Fighting Tigers, Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer from Bama is named after a part of Confederate uniforms of soldiers from Alabama, they had some yellow on it or something and Stephen D. Lee, the first president of MSU was a confederate officer.

If somebody who lives in Illinois sits around and bitches on a message board or to someone else about how bad MS is or hates OM bc their name is the Rebels then whatever who cares

There were a lot of confederate officers who held high and important positions after the war. But Lee doesn’t have as dark of a racial history as Stone, our second president and former governor. We acknowledge that history of those times, we don’t attempt to rewrite that or sugarcoat those days.

Goldendawg
05-23-2019, 04:48 PM
BTW, UM didn't ban the confederate battle flags in Vaught/Hemingway at first. They banned the sticks that they were attached to. May have banned handheld flags later. I don't really remember. The stained glass windows portraying the Mississippi Greys are currently under pressure to be taken out of one of their buildings and moved elsewhere.

msbulldog
05-24-2019, 06:29 AM
BTW, UM didn't ban the confederate battle flags in Vaught/Hemingway at first. They banned the sticks that they were attached to. May have banned handheld flags later. I don't really remember. The stained glass windows portraying the Mississippi Greys are currently under pressure to be taken out of one of their buildings and moved elsewhere.

You're right Golden, after that they would bring big stick less flags and unfurl them over the top of several fans.