PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead

BuckyIsAB****
05-21-2019, 01:34 PM
4 year extension. Some of y'all on here are gonna need to take some Aspirin you might have a heart attack

Jack Lambert
05-21-2019, 01:35 PM
It helps in recruiting.

msstate7
05-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Thought he signed for 4 years to start with. Can't extend 4 more years... don't think

BrunswickDawg
05-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Thought he signed for 4 years to start with. Can't extend 4 more years... don't think

Four years, $3.2 million per year

msstate7
05-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Four years, $3.2 million per year

So 1-year extension and a raise

Scared_Hitless
05-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Good for Recruiting and he was the lowest paid coach in the league. A small raise is warranted so we don't look to be pinching pennies.

Tbonewannabe
05-21-2019, 01:59 PM
So 1-year extension and a raise

This isn't any different than we have done since Croom.

msstate7
05-21-2019, 02:00 PM
This isn't any different than we have done since Croom.

I don't have a problem with it. He was paid bottom of the barrel in sec.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Of course we did. Had we not we would have looked like, and would have actually been, fools.

Homedawg
05-21-2019, 08:41 PM
No choice. Right thing to do.

Dawgcap
05-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Amen. What message are you sending to recruits and coaches in the high school ranks if you don’t believe in your hire after 1 year. On top of the fact that no coach with any credibility would consider us if there is no support this quickly.
I understand the concern though I think it’s unwarranted at this point but a coach needs full support for 2-3 years. If you can’t give it the next job opening will be a cluster 17. Some have complained in other places about this extension and I’ve got to believe they have no management experience and if they do I’m gonna guess that their problems in the same situations are based on their inability as a manager and not their employees

Lord McBuckethead
05-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Good for Recruiting and he was the lowest paid coach in the league. A small raise is warranted so we don't look to be pinching pennies.

Counting coppers is what I like to call it.

Dawg61
05-21-2019, 10:12 PM
Cohen is an idiot. Moorhead hasn't done anything to deserve an extension already.

DownwardDawg
05-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Cohen is an idiot. Moorhead hasn't done anything to deserve an extension already.

I hope you’re trolling. If not........

Homedawg
05-21-2019, 11:11 PM

I'm not a Moorhead guy yet, and it's pretty obvious the reasons he got the extension. Except to you, shocking.....

yjnkdawg
05-22-2019, 04:56 PM

It would be more accurate if you stated it as "In my opinion", because apparently you are the only one who doesn't understand this.

Fader21
05-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Like clockwork y'all forget that state law only allows for four year contracts. Most the time coaches get a one year extension to add on.

Dawgfan77
05-22-2019, 06:06 PM
It?s a one year ext and a raise

Dawg61
05-22-2019, 06:26 PM
It would be more accurate if you stated it as "In my opinion", because apparently you are the only one who doesn't understand this.

It's obviously my opinion. An opinion doesn't need to be stated as "in my opinion" every time it's posted or that's all we'd ever read on this sports opinion message board.

dawgs
05-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Hope this is trolling, otherwise not giving him an extension makes it more difficult for him to succeed by giving ammo to detractors on the crootin' trail and when hiring assistants. You can think Moorhead isn't the guy, but I'd hope we'd all rather win than be right when it comes to predicting a coach's future success. Feel free to say you don't believe in Moorhead, but don't call Cohen an idiot for giving him the best situation to succeed.

EDIT: guess it's not trolling

msbulldog
05-22-2019, 06:54 PM

It was in reports of his hiring, that he would take less money, so he could hire better assistants! We ain't pinching any thing!

Ari Gold
05-23-2019, 07:48 AM
3.2 million for a guy who WANTS to be here right now
Compared to a guy at around 5 million who had been trying to leave for years and quit with 3 games left in 2018 ..

Yeah I’m good with that...

Doesn’t matter Where you stand with Joe, this move was a no brainer.. and actually somewhat of a bargain still.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Compared to a guy at around 5 million who had been trying to leave for years and quit with 3 games left in 2018 ..

Doesn’t matter Where you stand with Joe, this move was a no brainer.. and actually somewhat of a bargain still.

As long as this extension doesn't effect the buyout then it's fine.

gravedigger
05-23-2019, 09:28 AM

Not about that. It?s allowing the staff to say to a recruit that the coach is set to be there all years the kid will be there.

Look beyond your nose.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2019, 10:22 AM

My wife actually wanted Mullen gone after the Maryland fiasco. I was more open to him returning because I thought that maybe he would eventually settle down. I liked how he ran the program other than the job shopping every year that we were more than mediocre.

If Joe shows he really wants to be here then he is showing that he is as good as Mullen typically was. Everyone has a rosey outlook now but Mullen won 6-8 games depending on if the toss up games were home or away. Moorhead pretty much did the same thing. Mullen had a more of a competent offense in losses but at the end of the day he still lost. Moorhead has improved recruiting it seems so that is a positive in his direction.

Dawg61
05-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Not about that. It?s allowing the staff to say to a recruit that the coach is set to be there all years the kid will be there.

Look beyond your nose.

Lol he still had three years left on the current contract. Whose saying to recruits "hey don't go to State because they didn't add an extra year to Moorhead's contract yet"?

gravedigger
05-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Lol he still had three years left on the current contract. Whose saying to recruits "hey don't go to State because they didn't add an extra year to Moorhead's contract yet"?

Goes like this:

Hey, we?re hearing they are pissed about the season. LOWEST paid coach in the league and they don?t give him a better deal after 8 wins and the outback? Son, he won?t be there much longer.

PMDawg
05-23-2019, 04:07 PM

I'm not a huge Moorhead supporter at this point, but I haven't given up on him either. ^^^this is the correct answer^^^

Dawg61
05-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Goes like this:

Hey, we?re hearing they are pissed about the season. LOWEST paid coach in the league and they don?t give him a better deal after 8 wins and the outback? Son, he won?t be there much longer.

Which direct competing SEC head coach is gonna muster up that petty bullshit? There ain't many in the SEC with rock solid never gonna get fired clout to throw that at a recruit. Gus gonna say it? Orgeron? Sounds like some of y'all are worried about Old Misses again. You think Fatt Luke's seat isn't warm?

dawgs
05-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Which direct competing SEC head coach is gonna muster up that petty bullshit? There ain't many in the SEC with rock solid never gonna get fired clout to throw that at a recruit. Gus gonna say it? Orgeron? Sounds like some of y'all are worried about Old Misses again. You think Fatt Luke's seat isn't warm?

Crootin' is all petty bullshit

gravedigger
05-23-2019, 07:04 PM
everyone that comes in contact with the kid.......to include us against other teams

boosters,friends,parents too.

but dont read too much into it. people make these kinds of agreements all the time. i'll start at "x" dollars (lowball) you extend me if i reach these goals. considering what a tennessee would have paid him, we got off lucky.

this helps msu as much as it helps joe

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 12:00 PM
everyone that comes in contact with the kid.......to include us against other teams

boosters,friends,parents too.

but dont read too much into it. people make these kinds of agreements all the time. i'll start at "x" dollars (lowball) you extend me if i reach these goals. considering what a tennessee would have paid him, we got off lucky.

this helps msu as much as it helps joe

We also were going to pay Mullen around $6 Mil to stay so we still have Joe around 1/2 of that. Joe has to prove it and Mullen showed he could keep us bowl eligible even if it took a little APR miracle one year.

Goldendawg
05-24-2019, 12:22 PM
We also were going to pay Mullen around $6 Mil to stay so we still have Joe around 1/2 of that. Joe has to prove it and Mullen showed he could keep us bowl eligible even if it took a little APR miracle one year.

Getting to one of the 150** available bowls is nowhere near the achievement it used to be and neither is 6 to 7 wins a season. Beat your 4 OOC foes, (maybe one of the four with a pulse), beat KY, Arky, and UM and there it is. Also a chance of a tossup win some years with LSU, another East foe, and AU. More worried about aTm now and bama is a Saben loss for us. Unless it's a New Year's Day Bowl or the playoffs, attendance will continue to fall at the other bowls. These other bowls are good for little but more practice time for the younger players on the team, a reward for the team, and of course more $ for the conference split.

AROB44
05-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Getting to one of the 150** available bowls is nowhere near the achievement it used to be and neither is 6 to 7 wins a season. Beat your 4 OOC foes, (maybe one of the four with a pulse), beat KY, Arky, and UM and there it is. Also a chance of a tossup win some years with LSU, another East foe, and AU. More worried about aTm now and bama is a Saben loss for us. Unless it's a New Year's Day Bowl or the playoffs, attendance will continue to fall at the other bowls. These other bowls are good for little but more practice time for the younger players on the team, a reward for the team, and of course more $ for the conference split.

This is what is really important.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2019, 01:14 PM

I agree it is easier but it isn't a given. We have a top 20 bowl streak going so there is something to be said about that.

gravedigger
05-25-2019, 08:04 AM

I think you described in detail what we all have been taking for granted. The new measure of success at MSU (and OM, Ark, uSCe, TA&M) is a bowl game EVERY year and a NY6 at least on occasion. The reason is not that the bowls are prestigious, but that the practice time and advertising is essential. Also, the LACK of a bowl for more than one season is an indication that something is wrong within the program. Slumps happen. But at some point must be mitigated.

Attendance at games is going to fall no matter what success the team experiences. That?s right, even after the ultimate prize. Why? Greed.

Joe fan, the ones that make up about 25% of the capacity of the stadium is getting priced out to travel or attend ANY game. After big years, AD?s want to build and charge big bucks to all fans to keep their seats. The 25% can?t afford what they have now.

At MSU, Joe will hold onto one thing: his seats at Dudy Noble. Especially Lounge seats.

Raising the fee for a right to keep the seat makes the $500 TV he bought 5 years ago more and more valuable.

We can all piss and moan about mediocrity and being satisfied with it and whatnot. Fact is, if football wins 8 games, beats Ole Miss more often than not, and ON OCCASION is in the picture to challenge for the SEC west and a trip to Atlanta, the coach has security. For freaking ever.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-25-2019, 08:41 AM
It was in reports of his hiring, that he would take less money, so he could hire better assistants! We ain't pinching any thing!

We still have the lowest paid assistants in the SEC.

confucius say
05-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Meh, when there were only 25 bowls there were also only 90 d1 teams give or take. Now there are 40 bowl games and 130+ d1 teams. Not as big a difference as we think proportionally.