PDA

View Full Version : college enrollment

Madisonmd
05-21-2019, 01:10 PM
From the Ole Miss board, from 2016-2018, MSU has 15.7% increase in enrollment with 82% being Mississippians. On the other hand, Ole Miss has declined by -2.7 %. They are saying this new chancellor hire is most important hire in their history

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2019, 01:52 PM
I'd be interested to see where the 18% out of state come from. That's great that we have that many from Mississippi, but I feel like we need to student recruit a little harder in the Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Birmingham, Dallas, and Charlotte areas. Those are hot beds right now. And I'm not just talking about athletics. However, it does tie back into athletics. Our recruiters in all sports need to start identifying top Freshman in these areas and need to go to our university recruiting staff and tell them that we need to focus heavily in these areas. We may only get 3 or 4, but if you get the right 3 or 4 it can pay dividends. If these athletes see their friends are going to school here it could get them on campus and see that this is a great university. Little things like that can pay off and put you on the national map. And hey at the least, you're developing a strong alumni base and strong recruiting base in an area you didn't previously have one.

Bothrops
05-21-2019, 02:10 PM
I think we get a lot from AL, and a good amount from TN. TX could be better. I know Houston has a lot of MSU alums residing there.

BB30
05-21-2019, 02:13 PM
I'd be interested to see where the 18% out of state come from. That's great that we have that many from Mississippi, but I feel like we need to student recruit a little harder in the Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Birmingham, Dallas, and Charlotte areas. Those are hot beds right now. And I'm not just talking about athletics. However, it does tie back into athletics. Our recruiters in all sports need to start identifying top Freshman in these areas and need to go to our university recruiting staff and tell them that we need to focus heavily in these areas. We may only get 3 or 4, but if you get the right 3 or 4 it can pay dividends. If these athletes see their friends are going to school here it could get them on campus and see that this is a great university. Little things like that can pay off and put you on the national map. And hey at the least, you're developing a strong alumni base and strong recruiting base in an area you didn't previously have one.

Athletically we recruit all of those areas fairly hard. Its not like we just ignore the Atlanta metro area. If your a kid that grew up in Charlotte there really isn't any reason to go to State academically unless you are a prospective engineering student. Not saying we don't have other programs that are solid but there are quite a few schools much closer that offer the same level of education.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 02:21 PM

It's good that we get them, but MSU has always been about Mississippi. That is as it should be.

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Athletically we recruit all of those areas fairly hard. Its not like we just ignore the Atlanta metro area. If your a kid that grew up in Charlotte there really isn't any reason to go to State academically unless you are a prospective engineering student. Not saying we don't have other programs that are solid but there are quite a few schools much closer that offer the same level of education.

And there's no logical reason for all the kids from Texas and Georgia to go to Ole Miss, but they do. And I know they'd go to UT or UGA if they got in there, but why not make it attractive to come to MSU to those kids? Again, I'm not saying we don't recruit those areas, but I'd just put a little more emphasis on it. I still like that we recruit Mississippi hard and I want to continue doing that, but we can do that and still focus efforts in other areas as well.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 02:23 PM

NC State Engineering is rated quite a bit higher than MSU Engineering. We have a very good Engineering school, but it Isn't as highly rated as a lot of us think.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 02:25 PM
And there's no logical reason for all the kids from Texas and Georgia to go to Ole Miss, but they do. And I know they'd go to UT or UGA if they got in there, but why not make it attractive to come to MSU to those kids? Again, I'm not saying we don't recruit those areas, but I'd just put a little more emphasis on it. I still like that we recruit Mississippi hard and I want to continue doing that, but we can do that and still focus efforts in other areas as well.

They go to Ole Miss because they can't get in to the top instate schools. Ole Miss isn't recruiting against Texas and UGA for those kids. They are recruiting against S. F. Austin and Georgia Southern. They aren't recruiting people with stellar academic backgrounds there either.

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2019, 02:36 PM
They go to Ole Miss because they can't get in to the top instate schools. Ole Miss isn't recruiting against Texas and UGA for those kids. They are recruiting against S. F. Austin and Georgia Southern. They aren't recruiting people with stellar academic backgrounds there either.

And the kids with less than stellar academic backgrounds are still going to go to Ole Miss cause they just want to party, but maybe there's 5-10 in an area that aren't s***heads, surely we could beat SF Austin and Georgia Southern for those kids. Anything to get our foot in the door in those areas. We've just had so much positive national perception in the last few years and we're about to let the rest of the nation see THE BEST STADIUM IN COLLEGE BASEBALL here in a couple of weeks. It's time to strike while the iron is hot in these areas. Show kids that they can have the full college experience somewhere other than Ole Miss in this state. We do a great job of that instate and we have a chance to broaden our brand. But I sometimes don't think we're taking advantage of that opportunity to the fullest.

BrunswickDawg
05-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Exactly. MSU isn't recruiting against UGA either. UGA has gotten very difficult to get into. UGA had 29,300+ applications for 13,000 slots for the Fall of 2019. The average GPA was a 4.10, 1380 SAT, and took 9 AP/IB/or Dual Enrollment classes. Neither of my kids got in - and both had 3.7+ GPAs, and 1350 SAT scores (one in 2017, one this year). And the other GA schools recruit aggressively for those kids. My daughter chose MSU - and never considered anything else, and got enough scholarship money to make it work. My son is headed to Valdosta State - HOPE covers most of Tuition, but he got enough scholarship money to cover the rest of tuition, fees, housing, and the meal plan. We have to pick up books.

I'll say this too - once either kid showed interest in MSU - they both got recruited fairly well by MSU

Keep in mind too - GA has 5 schools larger than MSU - GA State, UGA, GT, Kennesaw, and GA Southern - and North Georgia is just behind at 19,000.

Madisonmd
05-21-2019, 02:46 PM
It is amazing how competitive college admission has become!

Pinto
05-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Why didn't you just pay off the UGA admission staff?**

Exactly. MSU isn't recruiting against UGA either. UGA has gotten very difficult to get into. UGA had 29,300+ applications for 13,000 slots for the Fall of 2019. The average GPA was a 4.10, 1380 SAT, and took 9 AP/IB/or Dual Enrollment classes. Neither of my kids got in - and both had 3.7+ GPAs, and 1350 SAT scores (one in 2017, one this year). And the other GA schools recruit aggressively for those kids. My daughter chose MSU - and never considered anything else, and got enough scholarship money to make it work. My son is headed to Valdosta State - HOPE covers most of Tuition, but he got enough scholarship money to cover the rest of tuition, fees, housing, and the meal plan. We have to pick up books.

I'll say this too - once either kid showed interest in MSU - they both got recruited fairly well by MSU

Keep in mind too - GA has 5 schools larger than MSU - GA State, UGA, GT, Kennesaw, and GA Southern - and North Georgia is just behind at 19,000.

R2Dawg
05-21-2019, 02:52 PM
I think we get a lot from AL, and a good amount from TN. TX could be better. I know Houston has a lot of MSU alums residing there.

MSU gets a lot from AL, top students too not just numbers. I went to Muscle Shoals (7A in AL) graduation a few years ago and 3 of top 10 students going to MSU which beat out AL and Aub and even UNA I believe.

My daughter graduates from a 4A/5A school this year in AL and 3 are going to MSU, 2 Bama, 1 Auburn. My daughter is also valedictorian. At my church of the seniors, MSU 3, Bama 0, Auburn 0. Folks over here are wondering what is going on at MSU. I told them a lot and the young people are catching on.

R2Dawg
05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
From the Ole Miss board, from 2016-2018, MSU has 15.7% increase in enrollment with 82% being Mississippians. On the other hand, Ole Miss has declined by -2.7 %. They are saying this new chancellor hire is most important hire in their history

Funny, I just saw a story on news this week that listed the fastest growing schools in country I believe and Bama and OleMiss were listed? Wonder if that is a case of mixed up schools again? I think it was on a local Huntsville AL station.

R2Dawg
05-21-2019, 03:03 PM
NC State Engineering is rated quite a bit higher than MSU Engineering. We have a very good Engineering school, but it Isn't as highly rated as a lot of us think.

Rated higher by what source? There are so many different metrics and biased spins to rating one higher than another, many of them are bogus. Most I've seen have MSU in top 25 or top 50 depending on what statistic you want to look at. Either way it doesn't matter any more than the Dunkel index NC that Olemiss claims.

Bottom line is MSU engineering is very highly respected in industry and seen as one of the best. Engineering is one of the major colleges in our University. It may not mean what MIT or CalBerkley or GT etc. mean (whatever that is) but folks accept the MSU engineering very well.

SheltonChoked
05-21-2019, 03:21 PM

We should recruit Texas due to the Texas Top 10% Rule. (which is now the top 5% for UT Austin and Top 8% for TAMU-CS). If you want to go to one of those campus's, you better be Top of your class. In my daughter's class you had to have a perfect 7.85 GPA (they use a 6 point scale) to be in the top 10%. (that was over 150 kids in her class BTW)

MSU is getting at least 6 kids from her class... including one athlete.

We should be recruiting the UTSA, UT Arlington, TAMU-CC, UT-Dallas, TAMU, TAMU Commerce, TAMU International, etc. kids...

Gutter Cobreh
05-21-2019, 03:26 PM

BrunswickDawg providing Facts!

The HOPE scholarship plus the number of quality schools makes it hard not to go to an in-state school if you live in GA. I will say though that the out-of-state tuition for MS State makes it very appealing for those kids that want to experience college somewhere not in their own home state.

MafiaDawg
05-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Definitely need to make MS a priority because those students are more likely to stay in state after graduation and contribute and donate back but out of state students pay a lot more to attend MSU than in state students. That being said you need a good mix of both. Could probably stand to have a little more out of state.

gtowndawg
05-21-2019, 04:01 PM
I can't tell you how many from Memphis go to State now but it's a ton. I went to a graduation party Saturday for a girl headed to State and her family has no affiliation to State whatsoever. None. Zilch. But it was her "dream" school.

revdrdawg
05-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Many of the out of state students who start at Ole Miss plan to transfer back to their in-state (esp. Texas or UGA) school. Ole Miss is easier to get into as a first year student and they can get into the sorority they want to be in when they transfer back.

Count Istvan Teleky
05-21-2019, 04:36 PM
As usual, the Ole Miss Board has the information wrong. Somehow they are trying to make themselves feel better by saying that the 'only people who want to go to State are from in-state' by saying all but 18% are from Mississippi. Just isn't so: it's double that. Read to the bullet points - it says we have 35% from out of state.

https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2018/09/record-setting-enrollment-state-s-leading-research-university-tops-22000/

Choctaw Dawg
05-21-2019, 04:50 PM
I believe that I saw the statistics of schools that had mostly out of state students attending school there. Ole Miss sits at right over 50% students from out of state and they come from mostly the Atlanta suburbs and the Dallas metro area. Alabama had a whopping 67%! of there student populous from out of state, and I think most of them were pulled from New Jersey oddly enough. (I felt like it would be Mississippi with the amount of "fans" they have here)

What really surprised me is the out of state students that Jackson State gets, I believe a large percentage of students from out of state come from Chicago.

Maroonthirteen
05-21-2019, 05:21 PM
I can't tell you how many from Memphis go to State now but it's a ton. I went to a graduation party Saturday for a girl headed to State and her family has no affiliation to State whatsoever. None. Zilch. But it was her "dream" school.

State is beginning to get kids out of Tipton county too.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Rated higher by what source? There are so many different metrics and biased spins to rating one higher than another, many of them are bogus. Most I've seen have MSU in top 25 or top 50 depending on what statistic you want to look at. Either way it doesn't matter any more than the Dunkel index NC that Olemiss claims.

Bottom line is MSU engineering is very highly respected in industry and seen as one of the best. Engineering is one of the major colleges in our University. It may not mean what MIT or CalBerkley or GT etc. mean (whatever that is) but folks accept the MSU engineering very well.

By nearly all of them. NC State is Top 10 in some, and just out in others. My son is headed to eng grad school next year. NC State came after him HARD. I had no idea they were rated as high as they are till he started talking about going there.

Liverpooldawg
05-21-2019, 05:48 PM
As usual, the Ole Miss Board has the information wrong. Somehow they are trying to make themselves feel better by saying that the 'only people who want to go to State are from in-state' by saying all but 18% are from Mississippi. Just isn't so: it's double that. Read to the bullet points - it says we have 35% from out of state.

https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2018/09/record-setting-enrollment-state-s-leading-research-university-tops-22000/

If you read the quote, it doesn't say that only 18% of our students are from out of state. It said that only 18% of the increase in the last 3 years are coming from out of state. They are also WORRIED about it.

viverlibre
05-21-2019, 06:53 PM

We should hit TX hard, TAMU is hard to get in to and Texas is even harder. Plenty of good students and wealty parents over there to choose from.

RocketDawg
05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Funny, I just saw a story on news this week that listed the fastest growing schools in country I believe and Bama and OleMiss were listed? Wonder if that is a case of mixed up schools again? I think it was on a local Huntsville AL station.

I saw the same article. It was either on a Huntsville station's app or al.com, but the quoted increase was substantial.

Bothrops
05-21-2019, 08:39 PM

More money and more students. NC State is like a larger MSU.

R2Dawg
05-21-2019, 08:43 PM
By nearly all of them. NC State is Top 10 in some, and just out in others. My son is headed to eng grad school next year. NC State came after him HARD. I had no idea they were rated as high as they are till he started talking about going there.

NC State is a good school; know lots of eng grads from there. I used to work in NC but MSU has a very good reputation as well. Those ranking articles, etc. are worth something but they are not absolutes. I do know working throughout the SE US, MSU is a very well respected eng school and seen as one of the best. Not saying it is better or not than NCState.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-22-2019, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Choctaw Dawg;1107683] Alabama had a whopping 67%! of there student populous from out of state, and I think most of them were pulled from New Jersey oddly enough. (I felt like it would be Mississippi with the amount of "fans" they have here)

Crazy to drive through Bama’s campus and look at the # of car tags from NJ, NY, IL, CA. The Saban effect + the cost of tuition for schools in these states have driven students to Tuscaloosa at a ridiculous rate.

KentuckyDawg13
05-22-2019, 11:51 AM
What I find interesting is how many kids from Louisville, KY pursue going to school at unm. If I didn't graduate from MSU, I would seriously doubt that my kids would receive info from MSU.
The MSU marketing of this area is weak yet unm does really well.

Liverpooldawg
05-22-2019, 02:33 PM
NC State is a good school; know lots of eng grads from there. I used to work in NC but MSU has a very good reputation as well. Those ranking articles, etc. are worth something but they are not absolutes. I do know working throughout the SE US, MSU is a very well respected eng school and seen as one of the best. Not saying it is better or not than NCState.

He isn't going to NC State. I'm well aware of MSU's rep. I had a relative that was very high up at TI. He said MSU and one other school (name escapes me now) were the only ones where they put new hires straight to work without company eng training. That being said....NC State does rank higher than us in every rating I have ever seen. We are usually around 50 or so. They are in or very near the top 10.

Political Hack
05-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Kennesaw is a sleeping giant. They could be a big time school in 10 or so years. Their numbers are ridiculous and they've been transitioning to more of a regular school and getting away from being a commuter school.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Kennesaw is a sleeping giant. They could be a big time school in 10 or so years. Their numbers are ridiculous and they've been transitioning to more of a regular school and getting away from being a commuter school.

Yeah - HOPE has helped transform that place. It was a school of last resort when I was in high school. It's come a LONG way from when I was a little kid in the late 70s and my Mom was going back to school to get her Education degree (she was in first 4 year graduating class in '81). It was slightly bigger than Scooba Tech.

Ezsoil
05-23-2019, 11:13 PM
MSU does have a good number of international students as compared to other schools