PDA

View Full Version : Up to #3 in New D1 Rankings

ShotgunDawg
05-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Jumped Arkansas & Stanford this week.

I think this is right & I think too much has been made of us getting swept AT Arkansas.

The truth is that yes we did get swept, but we've got 5 more regular season wins than Arkansas & finished with the same amount of SEC.

When 50+ games are played, 3 games on the road shouldn't determine everything.

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/college-baseball-top-25-ucla-keeps-rolling/

Duckdog
05-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Agree but i still think we shouldn't have lost the series to LSU that one still stings

ShotgunDawg
05-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Agree but i still think we shouldn't have lost the series to LSU that one still stings

It's SEC baseball.

Arkansas lost series to Ole Miss & A&M

ShotgunDawg
05-20-2019, 08:12 AM
What's interesting about this is that D1 may be setting the stage for MSU to get a high national seed than Arkansas

StarkVegasSteve
05-20-2019, 08:16 AM
What's interesting about this is that D1 may be setting the stage for MSU to get a high national seed than Arkansas

I think us and Arky will be 3/4 national seed. If they make a run in Hoover they could leap us, but if we can win a couple we should hold steady for the 3. Vandy would have to go 0-2 and one of us would probably have to win it for either one of us to get into the #2 national seed discussion. I think UCLA has the #1 overall seed locked up at this point. Vandy might could catch them if they got hot in Hoover, but all signs point to it being UCLA at 1 and Vandy at 2.

StarkVegasSteve
05-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Also, how nice is it being able to talk about national seed positioning? This time last year we were just hoping we'd make it.

SaintDawg
05-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Our record vs top 25 is 18-6. Only other team that is even close is Arky. They're 15-8 vs top 25. That alone will end any argument about our national seeding. The sweep by Arky and series loss to LSU is an afterthought at this point

Cowbell
05-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Also, how nice is it being able to talk about national seed positioning? This time last year we were just hoping we'd make it.

Preach

ShotgunDawg
05-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Arkansas fans are such little bitches in the comments

"Arkansas finished ahead of MSU in the SEC West" - No you didn't. You just won the tie breaker because you beat us head to head.

The truth is that outside of a single weekend, MSU had the better season

Covercorner2
05-20-2019, 08:52 AM

"Arkansas finished ahead of MSU in the SEC West" - No you didn't. You just won the tie breaker because you beat us head to head.

We also have an RPI of 4 and Arkansas is at 6. I have been saying we should be a higher national seed than them. That thought is finally starting to get some traction.

sleepy dawg
05-20-2019, 09:29 AM
We also have an RPI of 4 and Arkansas is at 6. I have been saying we should be a higher national seed than them. That thought is finally starting to get some traction.

And we're 3rd in ELO and they're 10th. Unless we have polarizing SEC tournaments, i would expect us to be a better overall seed than them. It doesn't really matter though b/c they don't do matchups based on rankings as much as they do based on location.

Covercorner2
05-20-2019, 09:37 AM
And we're 3rd in ELO and they're 10th. Unless we have polarizing SEC tournaments, i would expect us to be a better overall seed than them. It doesn't really matter though b/c they don't do matchups based on rankings as much as they do based on location.

The matchup in the Super matters. Would rather be matched up with a 14 seed than a 13 seed, etc.

Jack Lambert
05-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Why is Ole Miss still ranked?

StateDawg44
05-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Who cares?

CadaverDawg
05-20-2019, 03:39 PM
I'm going to guess we get paired with Corvallis or Baton Rouge Regionals for our Super. Not sure which I prefer. LSU doesn't scare me, but they've been known to make MSU teams butts pucker, so..

MetEdDawg
05-20-2019, 04:10 PM
I'm going to guess we get paired with Corvallis or Baton Rouge Regionals for our Super. Not sure which I prefer. LSU doesn't scare me, but they've been known to make MSU teams butts pucker, so..

LSU better win Tuesday if they want to host.

Right now, LSU is no better than the #15 spot in my opinion. I know they finished a half game ahead of TAMU in the standings, but the #21 RPI LSU is sporting doesn't look near as good as the #14 RPI TAMU has. Plus they have some gosh awful mid week losses. That will affect hosting.

I think the Top 10 RPI right now are hosting no matter what. Then add Oregon State, UC Santa Barbara, Stanford, either UNC or NC State. That's 14 spots. Then you've got West Virginia, LSU, TAMU, Miami, and the other Carolina team previously mentioned fighting for 2 spots. I could see whoever the lower end SEC representative being matched up with us. Either TAMU or LSU. Miami could also be a possibility.

BeardoMSU
05-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Yeah....I'm conflicted on meeting LSU in the post season as well...

Todd4State
05-20-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm glad they are. If they do fire Bianco it will make them look even worse. It also makes us look better since we beat them four times.

Right now, LSU is no better than the #15 spot in my opinion. I know they finished a half game ahead of TAMU in the standings, but the #21 RPI LSU is sporting doesn't look near as good as the #14 RPI TAMU has. Plus they have some gosh awful mid week losses. That will affect hosting.

I think the Top 10 RPI right now are hosting no matter what. Then add Oregon State, UC Santa Barbara, Stanford, either UNC or NC State. That's 14 spots. Then you've got West Virginia, LSU, TAMU, Miami, and the other Carolina team previously mentioned fighting for 2 spots. I could see whoever the lower end SEC representative being matched up with us. Either TAMU or LSU. Miami could also be a possibility.

They should be on the bubble but it's LSU so I expect them to get preferential treatment from the committee.

Outside of LSU Arkansas is the one team I want another shot at in the SEC Tournament.

Maybe. But if we don't do well in the SEC Tournament and Arkansas does better than we do I could very easily see the committee giving Arkansas the higher seed. Food for thought for the SEC Tournament doesn't matter crowd at least.

Absolutely. That's why I want another shot at them. Unfortunately if we throw our midweek arms against them we will put ourselves at a disadvantage because I expect them to throw weekend people.

sleepy dawg
05-20-2019, 04:54 PM

You know damn well that if LSU is in contention to get a host spot, they're getting a host spot, and they'll likely have the SWAC champ as their #4 seed. Watch and see.

MetEdDawg
05-20-2019, 05:16 PM
You know damn well that if LSU is in contention to get a host spot, they're getting a host spot, and they'll likely have the SWAC champ as their #4 seed. Watch and see.

I would normally agree, but their resume this year is extra bad. 17-13 in conference is fringe hosting territory as it is. But the mid week losses coupled with the RPI outside the Top 20 is not in their favor.

If they lose to SC you can all but guarantee they won't host. Win that one and I think they probably host because of the name and the venue.

Todd4State
05-20-2019, 06:37 PM
I would normally agree, but their resume this year is extra bad. 17-13 in conference is fringe hosting territory as it is. But the mid week losses coupled with the RPI outside the Top 20 is not in their favor.

If they lose to SC you can all but guarantee they won't host. Win that one and I think they probably host because of the name and the venue.

I think LSU beats them because one South Carolina is bad and two LSU actually cares whether they win the SEC Tournament or not.

I figure they will beat us too if we do indeed throw Smith. We can't throw Eagan and Barlow for more than two innings max and they hit the rest of the guys we threw at them.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah....I'm conflicted on meeting LSU in the post season as well...

I'm not scared of them. I want to whip them.

Captain Falcon
05-20-2019, 07:58 PM
I don’t feel great about Wednesday if we are playing LSU. We’ll likely throw midweek guys and they’ll likely throw Walker who totally shut us down in Game 3 in our series against them. Plus LSU typically plays extremely well in Hoover and they need wins more than we do in order to lock up a host spot. Not saying it would be an impossible task for us, but I am saying that I’d rather play South Carolina

basedog
05-20-2019, 08:32 PM
I think LSU beats them because one South Carolina is bad and two LSU actually cares whether they win the SEC Tournament or not.

I figure they will beat us too if we do indeed throw Smith. We can't throw Eagan and Barlow for more than two innings max and they hit the rest of the guys we threw at them.

I heard a few days ago Lemonis will keep the rotation intact. Now how long they go depends on pitch count.

Also, I bet every player and all Coaches want win the Sec tourney. Me too! All games are important and should be to all players.

StarkVegasSteve
05-20-2019, 08:50 PM
I heard a few days ago Lemonis will keep the rotation intact. Now how long they go depends on pitch count.

Also, I bet every player and all Coaches want win the Sec tourney. Me too! All games are important and should be to all players.

If you get to Saturday then you try to win it. Otherwise, you get your bullpen some innings and get ready for the regionals. I'd love to win it, but we don't need to jeopardize our arms just to say we won the SEC Tournament. If we were fighting for seeding, the right to host, etc. then maybe you go all out, but we're firmly in the Top 8.

Todd4State
05-20-2019, 08:51 PM

I think we should throw Small and Ginn in the first two games and keep them on the same pitch count that they normally are. I don't question that the coaches and players want to win the SEC Tournament but I do wonder if we are unintentionally being too conservative with the staff to the point where it may actually be detrimental.

I don't think anyone advocates throwing Small and Ginn 120 pitches or bringing them back multiple times to try to win the SEC Tournament. But at the same time is pitching Smith to "keep our pitchers on schedule"- mind you that moving our guys up a day after throwing on Thursday/Friday/Saturday is the same as throwing them on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday the weekend after a normal Friday/Saturday/Sunday series- the right answer? It may work out. But I don't think it's the best answer. Rest is important, taking care of arms is important- but I also think that work and getting innings and AB's against quality competition is important as well.

And it's honestly more the fans saying "I don't care! Save the arms!" and I think it's just really a misguided and flawed way to look at things.

Todd4State
05-20-2019, 08:53 PM
If you get to Saturday then you try to win it. Otherwise, you get your bullpen some innings and get ready for the regionals. I'd love to win it, but we don't need to jeopardize our arms just to say we won the SEC Tournament. If we were fighting for seeding, the right to host, etc. then maybe you go all out, but we're firmly in the Top 8.

But if our normal starters throw 80-100 pitches that's not jeopardizing anyone any more than usual. They are going to throw bullpen sessions if they weren't playing games anyway.

basedog
05-20-2019, 09:06 PM
No arm will be over used, Lemonis and staff have done a great job of not over using any pitcher.

Skelton is the one that needs a day out two off, it's gonna be hot. We will see our pen a lot.

All three starters threw mid 80 pitches this past week.

BuckyIsAB****
05-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Our record vs top 25 is 18-6. Only other team that is even close is Arky. They're 15-8 vs top 25. That alone will end any argument about our national seeding. The sweep by Arky and series loss to LSU is an afterthought at this point

What is Vandy's record vs the top 25, top 50 RPI teams

SaintDawg
05-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Vandy record vs Top 25 is 12-4. Dont know about rec ord vs RPI Top 50.

Todd4State
05-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Vandy record vs Top 25 is 12-4. Dont know about rec ord vs RPI Top 50.

Vandy is 25-8 against RPI top 50.

smootness
05-21-2019, 07:46 AM
I don't think anyone advocates throwing Small and Ginn 120 pitches or bringing them back multiple times to try to win the SEC Tournament. But at the same time is pitching Smith to "keep our pitchers on schedule"- mind you that moving our guys up a day after throwing on Thursday/Friday/Saturday is the same as throwing them on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday the weekend after a normal Friday/Saturday/Sunday series- the right answer? It may work out. But I don't think it's the best answer. Rest is important, taking care of arms is important- but I also think that work and getting innings and AB's against quality competition is important as well.

So then keep them on the normal schedule, let them play but don't overwork them, maybe even be a little conservative, and see what happens. Seems reasonable based simply on all you just said.