PDA

View Full Version : Sound bites from last night's Road Dawg Tour

TaleofTwoDogs
05-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Went to the Road Dawgs gatherings last night at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, TX last night to hear Coach Joe. By the way, if you are ever in the Dallas area you should stop in at the Gaylord it is a beautiful resort.

Attendance was about 100 or so, including former LB Bulldog great DD Lewis and the widow of Joe Fortunato. Didn't take notes but here are some points made by Coach Joe:

- First thing he noticed when reviewing the roster was that we had only 1 offensive lineman on campus from the prior 2 recruiting classes, he will change that thinking and get more big uglies.

- Defensive ends look good but the middle of the d-line will be thin but some upcoming redshirts look good.

- OL Cross will be a 1st rounder when he's finished at State, he's that good.

- Recruiting is going good, expect some good things in the next couple of days - couldn't be specific because of rules (PSU QB I'm sure).

- Feels KT is a good talent but was really high on Shrader.

- He's heard the fans about running the ball and giving to the RBs but recognizes that you have to have an air attack to open up the run and that is his goal this year with the right QB.

- He thinks the 4 game redshirt rule and the transfer portal is good for the game and the players.

- He spoke of the team's success in the class room with an average GPA of 2.75 for the team.

- Thinks MSU can win championships but must get its head right from the mental aspect of the game: Correct the little mistakes as well as the big ones to give you the edge on the field.

Coach Joe spoke of his transition from being a Yankee to a Southerner and knows that expectations were not met last year but he wants State to be elite and it will take some time.

Good meeting and I am optimistic that CJM can get the job done. Also, damn, he looked thin.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info, man. Great post

Activated Alpha
05-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Average of 2.75 for the team? Ouch

HoopsDawg
05-17-2019, 11:23 AM

huh? That's good.

Activated Alpha
05-17-2019, 11:25 AM
huh? That's good.

Oh, isn't that a C+ plus average though? I'm not familiar with our overall GPA. How does it compare to the other SEC schools?

FriarsPoint
05-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Oh, isn't that a C+ plus average though? I'm not familiar with our overall GPA. How does it compare to the other SEC schools?

Similar

sleepy dawg
05-17-2019, 11:40 AM

B average

2.5 -3.4 is B average.

Activated Alpha
05-17-2019, 11:49 AM
B average

2.5 -3.4 is B average.

Oh ok thank you for clarifying that. Here is some rep!!

Maroonthirteen
05-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the recap.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 11:56 AM

I am guessing that is a lot higher than the normal student population.

R2Dawg
05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Went to the Road Dawgs gatherings last night at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, TX last night to hear Coach Joe. By the way, if you are ever in the Dallas area you should stop in at the Gaylord it is a beautiful resort.

Attendance was about 100 or so, including former LB Bulldog great DD Lewis and the widow of Joe Fortunato. Didn't take notes but here are some points made by Coach Joe:

- First thing he noticed when reviewing the roster was that we had only 1 offensive lineman on campus from the prior 2 recruiting classes, he will change that thinking and get more big uglies.

- Defensive ends look good but the middle of the d-line will be thin but some upcoming redshirts look good.

- OL Cross will be a 1st rounder when he's finished at State, he's that good.

- Recruiting is going good, expect some good things in the next couple of days - couldn't be specific because of rules (PSU QB I'm sure).

- Feels KT is a good talent but was really high on Shrader.

- He's heard the fans about running the ball and giving to the RBs but recognizes that you have to have an air attack to open up the run and that is his goal this year with the right QB.

- He thinks the 4 game redshirt rule and the transfer portal is good for the game and the players.

- He spoke of the team's success in the class room with an average GPA of 2.75 for the team.

- Thinks MSU can win championships but must get its head right from the mental aspect of the game: Correct the little mistakes as well as the big ones to give you the edge on the field.

Coach Joe spoke of his transition from being a Yankee to a Southerner and knows that expectations were not met last year but he wants State to be elite and it will take some time.

Good meeting and I am optimistic that CJM can get the job done. Also, damn, he looked thin.

Good info. Feedback sounds good except for one part that gave me Croom flashbacks - going to take time. 10 years time or ???

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Good info. Feedback sounds good except for one part that gave me Croom flashbacks - going to take time. 10 years time or ???

I believe he is talking about competing with Bama so not sure how long it will take but it did take Mullen 9 years.

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2019, 12:42 PM

To be elite? We could be looking at 10 years - and that's ok. It has taken programs with a lot more resources than us, or more history than us, to get to an elite level after years of being pretty good. that's not even mentioning that it took Bama 10 years after Stallings retired to get back to winning championships. It took Clemson 20 years to get back after Danny Ford left. It took Oregon 20+ years toiling with Rich Brooks and Mike Belloite to get to Chip Kelly and start winning big. It's not a short term process if you want to sustain it.

Just look at our recent history. Dan raised the floor - but building it into a sustainable winner challenged him. Yeah, we had 2014 - but we also had 2011, 2013, and 2016.