View Full Version : Tommy Stevens officially a Dawg

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2019, 10:24 AM

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Let's go!!!!! It's TommyTime

FriarsPoint
For him or against him, the clock is officially ticking on Moorhead now.

msstate7
Nice get, Moorhead

CadaverDawg
05-17-2019, 10:32 AM
No Moor excuses. Let's go

Bothrops
05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Nice job, Coach Moorhead! Now, let's get this offense rolling!

Doggie_Style
05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Nice get, Moorhead

I'm on board with this.....Now let's get Woody!

Choctaw Dawg
05-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Tommy Touchdowns baby.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Great news. Competition at the QB position can only make us better.

deadheaddawg
05-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Good stuff

KOdawg1
05-17-2019, 10:53 AM
I think this should potentially win us another game or two. Moorhead has his QB. Time to get it done

TrapGame
05-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Alright...Alright...Alright...Let's do this!

Cooterpoot
05-17-2019, 11:01 AM
No Moor excuses. Let's go

Is he bringing some WRs with him? Because we will have none. And that?s not an excuse. But the O does have a better QB now. How much is the question.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Is he bringing some WRs with him? Because we will have none. And that?s not an excuse. But the O does have a better QB now. How much is the question.

Working on 3rd class and still no real difference makers at wr. When does it become joe's responsibility?

msudawg1200
05-17-2019, 11:06 AM

I firmly believe an accurate QB will help make the receivers better

Cooterpoot
05-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Working on 3rd class and still no real difference makers at wr. When does it become joe's responsibility?

2nd class and we’ll wait and see. Heath and and couple guys would improve us.

msu15
05-17-2019, 11:10 AM

One of you worst takes

Cooterpoot
05-17-2019, 11:10 AM
I firmly believe an accurate QB will help make the receivers better

Agree to a point, but those drops for TDS last year weren’t on the QB.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
One of you worst takes

It was a question not a take

mstatefan91
05-17-2019, 11:12 AM
You can't judge the man on a class that is still 7 months from the early signing period. On top of that 1/2 classes he has signed were Mullen players that he was trying to keep together.. JoMo has one true class so far and they haven't touched the field in Maroon and White.

Some of you... geez

HoopsDawg
05-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Glad that Tommy has faith in Joe's offense. I now feel good about our games vs UK, KSU, and Ole Miss.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:19 AM
You can't judge the man on a class that is still 7 months from the early signing period. On top of that 1/2 classes he has signed were Mullen players that he was trying to keep together.. JoMo has one true class so far and they haven't touched the field in Maroon and White.

Some of you... geez

Some of you are way too sensitive. It was a question. Morris at ark has gotten 4 4-star WRs (3 OOS) signees/commits so far

confucius say
05-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Wow.

Jack Lambert
05-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Wow.

Mullen built the perception about WR going to MSU to die. Can't change that perception over night.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Honestly, it was his responsibility the second he took the job. But especially in this last class + transfer portal and he didn't get the job done. It's going to hurt us this season.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Wow.

aTm had issues at secondary last year, so jimbo goes and gets 4 4-star secondary guys last season.

Ark needed receivers, so Morris got 4 4-star receivers (3 WRs, 1 te)

We needed dlinemen, so Moorhead got em. Just wondering why we can't get WRs. They're apparently crucial to our future success. I don't think I'm being unfair to ask

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2019, 11:27 AM
The most excited human on the planet right now should be Kylin Hill because this year we SHOULD have a QB that knows how to read the running game.

If nothing else, absolutely nothing else, if Tommy knows how to read the running game in JoMo's offense, we should be a much much better offense.

I'm thinking our OL will good & the WRs can't be worse.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:29 AM
The most excited human on the planet right now should be Kylin Hill because this year we SHOULD have a QB that knows how to read the running game.

If nothing else, absolutely nothing else, if Tommy knows how to read the running game in JoMo's offense, we should be a much much better offense.

I'm thinking our OL will good & the WRs can't be worse.

The strength of our team will be RBs, oline, and a running qb, again. Hopefully joe has some new wrinkles this time around

HoopsDawg
05-17-2019, 11:34 AM
The strength of our team will be RBs, oline, and a running qb, again. Hopefully joe has some new wrinkles this time around

Yeah, I mean Joe keeps telling everyone that we need to throw the ball. It's like he thinks all MSU fans just want to run the ball every down. That's not what we want. We just want more creativity in the run game and more carries for our best guys like Kylin Hill.

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Some of you are way too sensitive. It was a question. Morris at ark has gotten 4 4-star WRs (3 OOS) signees/commits so far

The only problem I see in that is that whoever is the QB isn't going to have time to throw the ball to them because their line is hot garbage. Hold on......highly rate WRs, no line, god awful defense.....didn't we play a similar team last year??? I think we beat them like 35-3.

TrapGame
05-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Should be happy we have Tommy on the team now and it turns into another JOE SUCKS! thread. ...<exasperated sigh>...smh.

MrKotter
05-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Should be happy we have Tommy on the team now and it turns into another JOE SUCKS! thread. ...<exasperated sigh>...smh.

Just from ms7. He?s a petty, immature tool.

DancingRabbit
05-17-2019, 11:47 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/db9bdf9028587a2bc8430ea082c05e76/tenor.gif

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:47 AM
The only problem I see in that is that whoever is the QB isn't going to have time to throw the ball to them because their line is hot garbage. Hold on......highly rate WRs, no line, god awful defense.....didn't we play a similar team last year??? I think we beat them like 35-3.

They did get 2 juco OTs... beat Oklahoma for one. Who knows how well starkel will play in that offense. We scored way more than 35 on them last year

Coach007
05-17-2019, 11:50 AM
They did get 2 juco OTs... beat Oklahoma for one. Who knows how well starkel will play in that offense. We scored way more than 35 on them last year

Love ya man, but JoMo will get what he needs here.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Love ya man, but JoMo will get what he needs here.

I really like that he went out and got a player he wanted. I'm anxious to see the offense

Commercecomet24
05-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Good get for Joe now let's get the offense going.

msbulldog
05-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Glad to have Tommy aboard, I hope everything works for the good of MSU. Hail State!

Lord McBuckethead
05-17-2019, 12:19 PM

When his guy takes a snap. Which will be on August 30th.

confucius say
05-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Lets slow down on joe got his guy. There is no evidence to suggest TS is even better than KT. Joe didn't even recruit TS to psu initially correct? Joes guy is Schraeder and he needs a year or two.

We are still a 7-5, 8-4 team imo.

Gutter Cobreh
05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Good see the comments from Penn State fans also happy for him and Moorhead to reunite; with some wishing they were both back in blue and white....

Dawgology
05-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Hail State! Welcome to the family!

NCDawg
05-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Looking at the roster, it appears we have 7 W/R's returning and we have 3 more coming in this year. Are we saying they all aren't up to SEC standards? I personally think Jason, Mitchell, Guidry, and Thomas are pretty good receivers, and yes I know Mitchell and Guidry had key drops last year, but that sometimes happens.

deadheaddawg
05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Bless your heart

msstate7
05-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Lets slow down on joe got his guy. There is no evidence to suggest TS is even better than KT. Joe didn't even recruit TS to psu initially correct? Joes guy is Schraeder and he needs a year or two.

I agree with this for the most part, although I think it's 6-6, 7-5 most likely. I want Stevens bc joe feels he's better than key, but I don't see him as a real difference maker. I mostly want him bc he knows the offense, and hopefully he can help mayden and shrader pick it up quicker by seeing a guy know the reads

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 12:49 PM

I was actually referencing Ole Miss. But you are correct we did score WAY more than 35 on Arky

Jarius
05-17-2019, 12:52 PM
I agree with this for the most part, although I think it's 6-6, 7-5 most likely. I want Stevens bc joe feels he's better than key, but I don't see him as a real difference maker. I mostly want him bc he knows the offense, and hopefully he can help mayden and shrader pick it up quicker by seeing a guy know the reads

There is zero chance we only win 6 games with this schedule. Literally, zero chance. You are trolling.

mstatefan91
05-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Agreed but TS should have more time under JoMo's system and should at the very least create more competition in the QB room. That alone is a positive to me.

My philosophy has always been the same. Start the most capable person you have whether that is a true freshman or a 5th year grad transfer. Seniority be damned. Who can win the football game?

Johnson85
05-17-2019, 01:10 PM

If we go 8-4 in a rebuilding year, that means we likely will have lost to Bama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU, and beaten UT, Ark, UM, UK, KSU, and three cupcakes with a weak WR corps and a inexperienced interiod DL. I think that's what most people are hoping TS gets us too. I don't think people will be upset if we do that, unless say Auburn and UT both end up sucking, and we look like shit on offense against Bama, A&M, and LSU.

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 01:14 PM
If we go 8-4 in a rebuilding year, that means we likely will have lost to Bama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU, and beaten UT, Ark, UM, UK, KSU, and three cupcakes with a weak WR corps and a inexperienced interiod DL. I think that's what most people are hoping TS gets us too. I don't think people will be upset if we do that, unless say Auburn and UT both end up sucking, and we look like shit on offense against Bama, A&M, and LSU.

If we could get 8 and maybe sneak 9 wins then bringing him in would be considered a massive success. 9 puts us in Peach Bowl range if the chips fall right.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
If we could get 8 and maybe sneak 9 wins then bringing him in would be considered a massive success. 9 puts us in Peach Bowl range if the chips fall right.

8 is a very successful season. 9 is big raise worthy

Johnson85
05-17-2019, 01:30 PM

It's his responsibility now, but it's simply not realistic to expect that we get a difference maker at WR (difference maker in the sense of being able to win one on one battles against good SEC DBs) every year, especially ones that are ready to do that in their first year or two on campus. Our WRs are being upgraded (how could they not be), but there's nothing I've seen to make me think we have a difference maker on campus, at least not one that will be ready this year or next. If we upgrade to WRs that are not likely to drop wide open balls, that will be a significant upgrade and will hopefully mean we can move the ball against all but the top two to four defenses we play each year, depending on how difficult our SEC schedule is.

I think we're still going to struggle mightily at WR this year, but I'm not sure our schedule is going to be that difficult.

The main thing Joe has to do is he can't let teams force us to read pass if our WRs are not significantly better next year. We will have a good enough running game that we acn run it down most teams' throats. We could possibly get decent production next year against everybody but Bama while being one-dimensional. He just has to have a plan for when teams dare us to pass and we can't execute.

KOdawg1
05-17-2019, 01:34 PM
https://twitter.com/TMS_II/status/1093962305358970880

Watch this video, and look at around the 51 second mark. That's a better throw than Fitz ever had at MSU. That's what gives me hope that Stevens can be a good passer. He also is a damn good athlete. Fitz like quickness with better side to side speed.

Johnson85
05-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Watch this video, and look at around the 51 second mark. That's a better throw than Fitz ever had at MSU. That's what gives me hope that Stevens can be a good passer. He also is a damn good athlete. Fitz like quickness with better side to side speed.

Nah, Fitz had a better one the first year he played. Maybe in like his first game he started, when Dak was sick or something? Wasn't against great competition, but he threw a deep bomb on the money. Not sure he ever threw one as good his entire time here, but I'm sure there were some other ones that were close. Maybe the one that was dropped against BYU in 2016?

Not saying Stevens will be like Fitz, but pretty sure you could put together a highlight film of some outstanding throws by Fitz.

mstatefan91
05-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Nah, Fitz had a better one the first year he played. Maybe in like his first game he started, when Dak was sick or something? Wasn't against great competition, but he threw a deep bomb on the money. Not sure he ever threw one as good his entire time here, but I'm sure there were some other ones that were close. Maybe the one that was dropped against BYU in 2016?

Not saying Stevens will be like Fitz, but pretty sure you could put together a highlight film of some outstanding throws by Fitz.

The throw Fitz made against UF that would have won us the game this year was beautiful. Of course, that throw will forever be tainted now because our WR's didn't catch even when the ball was placed right in the bread basket.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 01:50 PM

Vs Troy in 2015. Fitz hit bear for around a 30 yard td. Vs nw st gray for around a 50.

ETA... mixed it up some

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 02:04 PM
I still think the prettiest CAUGHT pass Nick ever threw was that ball against A&M to Jordan Thomas in the endzone. It was in the perfect position for Thomas even if a defender was near, fortunately there wasn't one on the same side of the field as Thomas.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 02:06 PM
I still think the prettiest CAUGHT pass Nick ever threw was that ball against A&M to Jordan Thomas in the endzone. It was in the perfect position for Thomas even if a defender was near, fortunately there wasn't one on the same side of the field as Thomas.

Prettier than this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKveSs8ls0

TaleofTwoDogs
05-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Looks like Fitz's twin brother but with a softer throw.

Johnson85
05-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Vs Troy in 2015. Fitz hit bear for around a 30 yard td. Vs nw st gray for around a 50.

ETA... mixed it up some

That's the one I was thinking of. Hit gray perfectly in stride. The one against Northwestern state was pretty also.

Percho
05-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Whenever you say so.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Whenever you say so.

This is the answer I like... yes, it's my call haha

For real though, if we are incompetent at wr this year, Moorhead should get a little of the credit, certainly not all. Next year though, I put it all on Moorhead... he will have had enough time to get some WRs

Percho
05-17-2019, 02:52 PM
aTm had issues at secondary last year, so jimbo goes and gets 4 4-star secondary guys last season.

Ark needed receivers, so Morris got 4 4-star receivers (3 WRs, 1 te)

We needed dlinemen, so Moorhead got em. Just wondering why we can't get WRs. They're apparently crucial to our future success. I don't think I'm being unfair to ask

I am a old dude. 70 +. I can count on both hands how many quality WR's we have had in my lifetime and can almost count them with one hand. Think about that.

Percho
05-17-2019, 02:54 PM
We can not change our spots. Will take some time to become a passing school.

IMHO

Jarius
05-17-2019, 03:24 PM
I think having a qb who consistently puts it where the receiver can catch the ball will make us look competent at the receiver position. We did not have good receivers when Dak was here either but he made them look ok. None of them are playing football in the NFL. Fred Ross went from being an above average SEC receiver to pretty much sucking as soon as Fitz started throwing to him. He had zero touch.

Really Clark?
05-17-2019, 04:04 PM
I think having a qb who consistently puts it where the receiver can catch the ball will make us look competent at the receiver position. We did not have good receivers when Dak was here either but he made them look ok. None of them are playing football in the NFL. Fred Ross went from being an above average SEC receiver to pretty much sucking as soon as Fitz started throwing to him. He had zero touch.

What? Ross had 72 catches for 917 yards and 12 TD’s with Fitz. 88, 1007, 5 TD’s 2015 with Dak. That’s pretty close except having a lot more TD’s

Todd4State
05-17-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm very happy with the addition of Stevens. I think without question it's a win for everyone. Stevens gets to start. KT potentially gets to redshirt. Joe gets someone that can run his offense and adds experienced depth at the QB position. Hopefully we get more wins than we previously anticipated.

Hopefully Stevens is making plans to work out with Guidry and Osirus as we speak.

MedDawg
05-17-2019, 04:20 PM

And at the 1:40 mark he makes the goal line TD run vs Iowa.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2019, 06:20 PM
I am a old dude. 70 +. I can count on both hands how many quality WR's we have had in my lifetime and can almost count them with one hand. Think about that.

Seriously. Fred Hadley, Eric Moulds, I guess Ross and Bumphis. Kelvin Love was pretty good. I will throw Bear Wilson in there. Olanda Truitt had talent.

Jarius
05-18-2019, 12:46 AM
What? Ross had 72 catches for 917 yards and 12 TD’s with Fitz. 88, 1007, 5 TD’s 2015 with Dak. That’s pretty close except having a lot more TD’s

He also had a ton more drops with Fitz. He had more yards as the #2 option with Dak than the #1 option with Fitz. He did have more TDs, but he was noticeable more inconsistent his senior year catching the football and it wasn't all on him.

Really Clark?
05-18-2019, 06:25 AM
He also had a ton more drops with Fitz. He had more yards as the #2 option with Dak than the #1 option with Fitz. He did have more TDs, but he was noticeable more inconsistent his senior year catching the football and it wasn't all on him.

Well you said he went from above average to sucking as a receiver...the numbers doesn’t reflect that in the slightest. His yards per catch was slightly higher with Fitz so the yards are nearly equal, just had 16 fewer catches. That’s mostly because we threw the ball 89 less times in 2016. That had more to do with the fewer catches than anything.

But some of the issues you are noting was on him (and the other WR’s), especially early in the year had everything to do with who wasn’t throwing them the ball as the QB and locker room crap. That was the biggest reason the WR were not as good as they should have been. Sulked around for half a season and bad locker room drama

Ari Gold
05-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the Fam Tommy. Let’s get to work.. !!!!

See how easy that ways..

Yet it only took about 4 post to this thread to derail it from getting a QB transfer that can help us win more games , to jabs at CJM and the WR core..

Leroy Jenkins
05-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the Fam Tommy. Let’s get to work.. !!!!

See how easy that ways..

Yet it only took about 4 post to this thread to derail it from getting a QB transfer that can help us win more games , to jabs at CJM and the WR core..

*corps.

BuckyIsAB****
05-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Fred Ross was one of the leading WRs in the SEC. The group with Dak was pretty damn good, the worst one was Joe Morrow. Fred Brown, Ross, Bear, Malcolm Johnson (NFL for a while with the Browns), Jameon Lewis, Gabe Myles. Not a bad group IMO.

Jarius
05-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Well you said he went from above average to sucking as a receiver...the numbers doesn’t reflect that in the slightest. His yards per catch was slightly higher with Fitz so the yards are nearly equal, just had 16 fewer catches. That’s mostly because we threw the ball 89 less times in 2016. That had more to do with the fewer catches than anything.

But some of the issues you are noting was on him (and the other WR’s), especially early in the year had everything to do with who wasn’t throwing them the ball as the QB and locker room crap. That was the biggest reason the WR were not as good as they should have been. Sulked around for half a season and bad locker room drama

He went from being the #2 to the #1 his senior year. He was by far our best receiver in 16 but he had a ton of key drops that he did not have in 15. I was probably too harsh on him in my initial assessment but there was a noticeable difference in his drops. He went undrafted because of it IMO. My whole point was he had a guy in 15 throwing catchable balls. In 16 he had Fitz who had no touch and it made a difference. I would love to see the drop rate from 15 to 16. I tried to google but could not find it.

Jarius
05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Fred Ross was one of the leading WRs in the SEC. The group with Dak was pretty damn good, the worst one was Joe Morrow. Fred Brown, Ross, Bear, Malcolm Johnson (NFL for a while with the Browns), Jameon Lewis, Gabe Myles. Not a bad group IMO.

Were they really good or did Dak make them look good? Zero are in the nfl playing receiver. I think Malcolm is playing fullback.

BankerDog
05-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Were they really good or did Dak make them look good? Zero are in the nfl playing receiver. I think Malcolm is playing fullback.

Fred Brown is still playing in the NFL..he?s with Broncos and was on the practice squad for the Rams last year. Ross is still hanging around on some practice squads as well but has never healed from his injury.

Jarius
05-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Fred Brown is still playing in the NFL..he?s with Broncos and was on the practice squad for the Rams last year. Ross is still hanging around on some practice squads as well but has never healed from his injury.

I did not realize Fred was still hanging around. Good for him.

Coach007
05-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Brown.. wow! I remember the one handed catch against Ark.

msstate7
05-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Would've been interesting to see fitz's passing numbers in 2016 had he had ross, brown, and gray

BrunswickDawg
05-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Would've been interesting to see fitz's passing numbers in 2016 had he had ross, brown, and gray

And Bear - remember, Bear left early.

BuckyIsAB****
05-20-2019, 06:39 PM

They were better than we had in 16, 17 and 18