PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Small isn't human

starkvegasdawg
05-17-2019, 07:13 AM
Just saw a tweet linked on another site where he's struck out 44% of the batters he's faced this season.

gravedigger
05-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Just saw a tweet linked on another site where he's struck out 44% of the batters he's faced this season.

Add to that, he struggled for a short period last night trying to find the zone and he worked his way through it. Most pitchers you see are either on or off. He was off and turned himself back on.

Rarity. With all the talk of Ginn, it took me a while to appreciate Small. But he is dominant.

msudawglb
05-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Add to that, he struggled for a short period last night trying to find the zone and he worked his way through it. Most pitchers you see are either on or off. He was off and turned himself back on.

Rarity. With all the talk of Ginn, it took me a while to appreciate Small. But he is dominant.

And it?s extremely beneficial to Ginn to have an Ethan Small to learn from his first year.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 08:14 AM
I thought Stratton might have had the most dominant year that I had personally seen at MSU but Small is on a different planet. What he is doing against elite SEC hitting is insane. The only good team in the SEC that he didn't face is Vandy. Our schedule this year was very tough and he has still dominated.

Lord McBuckethead
05-17-2019, 08:33 AM
He is pretty good from the windup. Only thing is, he doesn't get a large percentage of easy outs. 44% was struck out probably with 5-9 pitches each. I wish he would get a bunch 2 pitch ground outs. He has yet to finish the 7th due to pitch count.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 08:34 AM
He is pretty good from the windup. Only thing is, he doesn't get a large percentage of easy outs. 44% was struck out probably with 5-9 pitches each. I wish he would get a bunch 2 pitch ground outs. He has yet to finish the 7th due to pitch count.

That is his only issue but you also don't see many starters throwing complete games anymore. I wonder what a MLB team will do to help or if they just look at him as a 5-6 inning starter.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 08:36 AM

I just assume he try and K everyone... our defense isn't that great.

StarkVegasSteve
05-17-2019, 09:03 AM
That is his only issue but you also don't see many starters throwing complete games anymore. I wonder what a MLB team will do to help or if they just look at him as a 5-6 inning starter.

Big league managers and GMs will want stretch that pitch count a little more. He's only gone over 100 pitches 3 times this year. I do agree that he probably messes around with batters trying to get the K but if that's his MO then the bigs aren't gonna try to change anything. Most of your frontline starters aren't working CG's anymore. So much has been made about arm longevity at this point that most managers and GMs don't want to risk a kid throwing too many innings. Only 12 pitchers logged 200 or more innings last year. By comparison, in 1998 56 pitchers logged over 200 innings.

smootness
05-17-2019, 09:11 AM

He'll go further in the postseason.

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2019, 09:22 AM
He'll go further in the postseason.

Yeah, I was about to add that. I think Foxhall has been playing the long game with our 3 main starters and keeping them fresh for post season. Plumlee's 116 pitches against OM is the most by any of the 3 this season. Small has only gone over 100 3 times, and JT hasn't cracked 95 (and that includes a 7 inning CG). To show the difference - Small and Pilk went over 100 8 games each last year.

Lord McBuckethead
05-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I was about to add that. I think Foxhall has been playing the long game with our 3 main starters and keeping them fresh for post season. Plumlee's 116 pitches against OM is the most by any of the 3 this season. Small has only gone over 100 3 times, and JT hasn't cracked 95 (and that includes a 7 inning CG). To show the difference - Small and Pilk went over 100 8 games each last year.

Last year was different than this year. Last year Pilk and Small would both be over 55 pitches before they ended the 3rd inning most times. Small is doing better, but imagine if he would have just 1 or 2 6 pitch innnings a game. Hell yesterday he had some 12 pitch at bats.

Really Clark?
05-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Last year was different than this year. Last year Pilk and Small would both be over 55 pitches before they ended the 3rd inning most times. Small is doing better, but imagine if he would have just 1 or 2 6 pitch innnings a game. Hell yesterday he had some 12 pitch at bats.

Small has an incredible amount of swing and miss movement. The nature of his pitching will lead to higher pitch counts and foul balls. And his walk rate is good, he is not nibbling. To do what you are asking he would need to change into throwing a lot of sinker balls. Not his pitch. What you want to happen and him doing what he is to be incredibly effective, are 2 totally different things. And having 1-2 6 pitch innings per game? Who does that? 13 or less per inning is really really good

Lord McBuckethead
05-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Small has an incredible amount of swing and miss movement. The nature of his pitching will lead to higher pitch counts and foul balls. And his walk rate is good, he is not nibbling. To do what you are asking he would need to change into throwing a lot of sinker balls. Not his pitch. What you want to happen and him doing what he is to be incredibly effective, are 2 totally different things. And having 1-2 6 pitch innings per game? Who does that? 13 or less per inning is really really good

UCLA pitchers against us the Omaha, that is who did it.

Really Clark?
05-17-2019, 01:30 PM
UCLA pitchers against us the Omaha, that is who did it.

They didn’t have one individual pitcher do that in every game that season. You said Small doing it every game 1-2 times per game. You can’t take one series using multiple pitchers to get multiple innings of 6 pitch innings (and I would need to see the stats of how many times that happened of actually 6 pitch innings) is no where close to asking Small do it every game he pitches. That’s an absurd standard to assign any pitcher.

sleepy dawg
05-17-2019, 01:41 PM
For a starter, this has to be unheard of, especially in the SEC. I could see an elite closer reaching a number like this perhaps, but not a starter. He is a very, very special player.

msstate7
05-17-2019, 01:48 PM
For a starter, this has to be unheard of, especially in the SEC. I could see an elite closer reaching a number like this perhaps, but not a starter. He is a very, very special player.
Small is over 15 k9. I didn't look at all the sec schools the past few years, but I looked over the ones I thought might have someone similar, Florida, vandy, and Casey Mize last year. Mize and puk were over 12, but that's a long way off... no other starters on Florida and vandy were within sight

sleepy dawg
05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Small is over 15 k9. I didn't look at all the sec schools the past few years, but I looked over the ones I thought might have someone similar, Florida, vandy, and Casey Mize last year. Mize and puk were over 12, but that's a long way off... no other starters on Florida and vandy were within sight

... and people don't think he deserves the Ferriss trophy. It's no knock on Mangum, but the numbers Small has this year are historic and damn near magical. You just don't see this in our league, not even a single year. You do see players put together Mangum caliber years, just not Mangum caliber careers.

PassInterference
05-18-2019, 03:09 AM
Didn?t he just pass Jeff Brantley on the MSU career K list? Or maybe it was the season list. Anyway, crazy he?s only in 3rd.