PDA

View Full Version : What needs to happen in order for Lemonis to deserve a pay raise?

Jack Lambert
05-16-2019, 02:08 PM
What is your thought?

Leroy Jenkins
05-16-2019, 02:17 PM
What is your thought?

He may have already done enough.

PKADogs55
05-16-2019, 02:21 PM
A deep run in Omaha certainly would not hurt. Not sure what type of bonuses he has with the current contract. The guy definitely has done everything you could have asked him to do!!

basedog
05-16-2019, 02:22 PM
No rush after one year, I bet his agent had some incentive clause in his original contract. I also bet he has no plans or thoughts of leaving, LOL.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Prove he can do this with his own players.

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Get to Omaha is the minimum requirement, for me. I know there's a certain amount of luck in the postseason, but I'll be somewhat disappointed if this team doesn't get there, barring a rash of injuries or something strange. And honestly, I expect us to make noise when we get to Omaha.

yjnkdawg
05-16-2019, 02:27 PM
What is your thought?

I think a potential pay raise and the amount ( if given) will be determined after the end of the season, based upon what Cohen and Lemonis' mutual goals and expectations were for this year, and were these goals and expectations met or exceeded.

Johnson85
05-16-2019, 02:46 PM
He's going to get a pay raise and a new contract pretty much no matter what at this point.

Might not be a huge pay raise, but they will bump him up and extend him back out to the maximum.

I think he's around $600k before incentives, and the highest paid coaches are not much above the $1M mark?

I don't think you rush to give him a huge raise based on one year's performance with a team that was mostly handed to him and whose key players have performed well for 3 or 4 different coaches. But he's done a good job and I don't think a 10% raise would be premature. That would still have him a few hundred thousand below the top paid coaches.

sleepy dawg
05-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Well we fired the last guy for not even winning the CWS and the guy before that for losing the series against Southern Miss. If you ask me, Lemonis just better be sleeping with his eyes open.

KOdawg1
05-16-2019, 02:54 PM
He ain't going anywhere. I mean, raise his pay if he continues to do well and pay him what he deserves, but it's not like he'll leave us for another job. He's got it made

KOdawg1
05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Well we fired the last guy for not even winning the CWS and the guy before that for losing the series against Southern Miss. If you ask me, Lemonis just better be sleeping with his eyes open.

I hope you're joking

Tbonewannabe
05-16-2019, 02:59 PM
I hope you're joking

I am pretty sure he was hence the last guy getting fired for not winning the CWS.

bulldogcountry1
05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
What is your thought?

If he stays off twitter another month.

msbulldog
05-16-2019, 06:20 PM
If he doesn't make it to Omaha, no raise, he inherited Omaha talent. If he does make it to Omaha 100k, again he inherited the talent and that's a little better than a 15% raise. If he wins the Natty 300k at least, because Mississippi will be trying to hire him, their paying Bianomaha 1M+.

Dawgpile
05-16-2019, 08:14 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cooterpoot again.

R2Dawg
05-16-2019, 10:02 PM
What is your thought?

Omaha, he inherited a loaded team. SEC title would be worth a nice bonus.

Homedawg
05-16-2019, 10:20 PM

That's literally 3/4 years away. Heck the almost the entire class we just signed he had nothing to do with as far as recruiting except hanging on to them. And no I'm not criticizing. He's doing a great job w recruiting and future classes. Just pointing out how far in advance it goes.

preachermatt83
05-16-2019, 10:20 PM
If the greatest regular season in our history is not enough for some of u then I don’t know what to tell you.

TNDawg35
05-16-2019, 10:21 PM
That's literally 3/4 years away. Heck the almost the entire class we just signed he had nothing to do with as far as recruiting except hanging on to them. And no I'm not criticizing. He's doing a great job w recruiting and future classes. Just pointing out how far in advance it goes.

He had ALOT to do with getting Ginn...

preachermatt83
05-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Omaha, he inherited a loaded team. SEC title would be worth a nice bonus.

A loaded team that finished 12th in the Sec last year.

timotheus
05-16-2019, 10:42 PM
sure came down hard on jomo for flopping with a loaded team. better pay him

Pennywise
05-16-2019, 10:46 PM
I don't think you rush to give him a huge raise based on one year's performance with a team that was mostly handed to him and whose key players have performed well for 3 or 4 different coaches. But he's done a good job and I don't think a 10% raise would be premature. That would still have him a few hundred thousand below the top paid coaches.

Besides Jake, who has performed well for four different coaches? Who has performed well for three different coaches? Mac was okay his sophomore year. Skelton barely hit 200. Cole was a first baseman hitting below 200.

timotheus
05-16-2019, 10:53 PM
he's a stud coach and he's a dan mcdonnell clone cohen knew what he was doing.

MedDawg
05-16-2019, 11:21 PM
What is your thought?

Score 25 runs in an SEC game.

ETA: Dang, just missed it.

preachermatt83
05-16-2019, 11:29 PM

Amen!! Accept your rep !!

preachermatt83
05-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Besides Jake, who has performed well for four different coaches? Who has performed well for three different coaches? Mac was okay his sophomore year. Skelton barely hit 200. Cole was a first baseman hitting below 200.

Rep for you as well!!!

trojandawg
05-17-2019, 01:10 AM
I think he has earned it. While we have had some talent there and the team caught in fire last year near the end for a special run. Last year?s team ran on a lot of heart at the end which you can?t coz h. Lemonis and staff deserve credit for this team playing up to its potential and then some. We have pretty much dominated this year outside two series. The hitting is as good as I ever have seen it. The hitting and catcher improvement with Skelton is amazing. I know gaautreau was here before but he kept him and they have gotten even better. He brought Cheesbrough and got Foxhall which has made our pitching so much better this year. Yes we should expect too be in the top 5-15 every year and be in a super regional every year at least. I think you give him incentive pay this year for making Omaha if he makes it. As good as they have been this year it will be a huge disappointment if they don?t.

He has done a really great job getting full potential out of the team and deserves to be rewarded.

Cooterpoot
05-17-2019, 05:40 AM
He’ll get a bump, but no need in throwing a huge raise at him. A very mediocre coach won with this bunch last year and this team has a ton of older kids with experience. Plus, got to wait and see what happens in post season. Our fans are bi-polar. They either want coaches fired if they aren’t perfect or give them the world for achieving the expected. Most of us thought we could win our division or possibly the conference. We aren’t going to do either.

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Wait, I was told from about September 29th 2018 thru March 30th 2019 that Cohen was clueless and burning down our athletic department with his Moorhead hire and Lemonis couldn't cut it. Did I miss our change in narrative memo?***

timotheus
05-17-2019, 07:48 AM
I would say that the jury is still out on JoMo. to be continued......

gravedigger
05-17-2019, 07:58 AM
What is your thought?

People to understand that he already does deserve a pay raise. I'm not talking wins and loses. I think the team's attitude is very high. Fact of the matter is, a championship team shakes off a bad loss or series and moves on and steps up.

It's not that you are on top of the mountain. Its the means by which you climb. The bottom of our order is outstanding. There are literally no breaks. We have people stepping up. This is a cohesive unit. Not one superstar or two.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Let's not act like Cohen doesn't know baseball coaching. He has developed a lot of good head coaches. AU, UK, and Bama are all former Cohen assistants.

Canni was a great baseball coach and recruiter, I am not sure anyone would have guessed the outcome of his tenure. Cohen did then turn over the team to someone who took the team to 1 game away from the National Championship series. He then hired a guy who took that team that got hot at the right time last year and has them set up for a National seed.

If you look at the pitching staff, really only Small, Keegan James, Barlow, and Gordon are people that pitched in the post season last year. A lot of guys have taken huge steps forward this year and someone like Skelton you probably credit Coach Cheese with his development. Catcher was an extreme weakness for us last year offensively and defensively, now Skelton is probably the best overall catcher in the SEC.

This coaching staff has done an amazing job and I think Cohen got it right. I am not sure what happened with Schloss but we might have found our next great coach in Lemonis.

timotheus
05-17-2019, 08:08 AM
schloss wifey played hardball and came up short when it was too late.

drunkernhelldawg
05-17-2019, 08:15 AM
One year can lie to you, but it sure looks like he's the best motivator and planner that we've had in there. He obviously understands baseball, youth, and baseball players. I'm damned excited to have him.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 08:15 AM
schloss wifey played hardball and came up short when it was too late.

I didn't know exactly what happened but Kendall Rogers said there was an interesting story there.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2019, 08:19 AM
One year can lie to you, but it sure looks like he's the best motivator and planner that we've had in there. He obviously understands baseball, youth, and baseball players. I'm damned excited to have him.

As great as we have been, Cohen seemed more excited about his recruiting than anything, saying he was the best recruiter he had been around. I am sure part of that is talking up the hire but there has to be some truth there.

smootness
05-17-2019, 08:36 AM
He deserves one now.

TNDawg35
05-17-2019, 12:28 PM
I didn't know exactly what happened but Kendall Rogers said there was an interesting story there.

That ain’t all. If what I heard is true, Cohen deserves a pat on the back after it was all said and done cause he was looking out for the university...

Johnson85
05-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Jake - 4, as mentioned
SMall - Henderson and Lemonis
Plumlee - Canizaro and Lemonis
Macnamee - Canizaro, Henderson, and Lemonis, granted as you said, his sophomore year wasn't great, but he started as a sophomore for a solid SEC team
Allen/Foscue/Jordan - Henderson and Lemonis
Gordon - on fire for Henderson at end of last year; showed flashes for Canizaro while splitting time between positions; hasn't played as well as he finished, but still solid this year for Lemonis
Obviously lots of major contributors that have only contributed under Lemonis too.

So no, not a lot of people have individually played well for 3 different coaches, but three different coaches have gotten production out of different members of the team.

There is basically nothing Lemonis could be doing better, so it's not a knock on him. It's just that we don't have to make him a top five paid baseball coach based on one year's result when a lot of very important parts of the job won't show up yet. It's the same reason we didn't make Henderson the permanent coach after last year, when there is not much he could have done better under teh circumstances.

And I'm not a Lemonis skeptic. I think he's going to be either great and take us to the next level, or I think he's going to be very good, and combined with our stadium and fan support, still end up performing well enough that he ends up a top 5 paid coach. I just don't think you do it after one season.

BrunswickDawg
05-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Most regular season wins by a first year coach in SEC history - 45 with 1 to play.

Not bad for an underwhelming hire.***

ArrowDawg
05-18-2019, 12:30 AM
What is your thought?

Win the CWS. He's done an outstanding job this season, but with a team he inherited that was poised to do big things. He just hasn't screwed it up and he's made the most of it so far, so credit to him. But regular season doesn't mean much to me anymore, other than setting us up for hosting. I'm all about what we do in postseason from now and forever more. We've done everything but win a title.

smootness
05-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Win the CWS. He's done an outstanding job this season, but with a team he inherited that was poised to do big things. He just hasn't screwed it up and he's made the most of it so far, so credit to him. But regular season doesn't mean much to me anymore, other than setting us up for hosting. I'm all about what we do in postseason from now and forever more. We've done everything but win a title.

Yeah, but postseason is more of a crapshoot. All you can do is play well in the regular season to give yourself the best shot to get there (which we have done) and set your team up to be in its best shape heading into postseason play (which we have done).

Postseason matters more than regular season, but regular season results are a better indicator of what kind of coach you have. He deserves a raise.

shannondawg
05-18-2019, 07:39 AM

You sound like a bama football fan.

basedog
05-18-2019, 07:46 AM
You sound like a bama football fan.

LOL, it seems to be more typical now days with message boards, winning isn't enough!

Pennywise
05-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Win the CWS. He's done an outstanding job this season, but with a team he inherited that was poised to do big things.
Interesting expectation for a team that the SEC COACHES picked 6th in the West and 10th in the conference. Only Jake was predicted to be first team and Tanner second team.

Pennywise
05-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Jake - 4, as mentioned
SMall - Henderson and Lemonis
Plumlee - Canizaro and Lemonis
Macnamee - Canizaro, Henderson, and Lemonis, granted as you said, his sophomore year wasn't great, but he started as a sophomore for a solid SEC team
Allen/Foscue/Jordan - Henderson and Lemonis
Gordon - on fire for Henderson at end of last year; showed flashes for Canizaro while splitting time between positions; hasn't played as well as he finished, but still solid this year for Lemonis
Obviously lots of major contributors that have only contributed under Lemonis too.

So no, not a lot of people have individually played well for 3 different coaches, but three different coaches have gotten production out of different members of the team.

There is basically nothing Lemonis could be doing better, so it's not a knock on him. It's just that we don't have to make him a top five paid baseball coach based on one year's result when a lot of very important parts of the job won't show up yet. It's the same reason we didn't make Henderson the permanent coach after last year, when there is not much he could have done better under teh circumstances.

And I'm not a Lemonis skeptic. I think he's going to be either great and take us to the next level, or I think he's going to be very good, and combined with our stadium and fan support, still end up performing well enough that he ends up a top 5 paid coach. I just don't think you do it after one season.

I can't disagree with anything you said here. And I agree that the true evaluations of Lemonis will start to happen next year and for sure the year after. He's been touted as a really good recruiter. So we'll see. I was just pushing back a little on an original statement of yours that many of these guys have performed well for three and four coaches, and I could only see two guys who did "well" for Cann back in the day. But I'm not campaigning for Lemonis to be a Million Dollar Man either.

preachermatt83
05-18-2019, 11:01 AM
As great as we have been, Cohen seemed more excited about his recruiting than anything, saying he was the best recruiter he had been around. I am sure part of that is talking up the hire but there has to be some truth there.

LeMo is the best recruiter in America. That?s a fact. He will won multiple nattys here.

preachermatt83
05-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but postseason is more of a crapshoot. All you can do is play well in the regular season to give yourself the best shot to get there (which we have done) and set your team up to be in its best shape heading into postseason play (which we have done).

Postseason matters more than regular season, but regular season results are a better indicator of what kind of coach you have. He deserves a raise.

Tell it!!!!

RougeDawg
05-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Have to give Gautreau a pay bump and keep him around a couple more years. He will be a successful head coach one day. His hitting technique and ability to get hitter buy in are rare in the college game.