PDA

View Full Version : Dan M trying to compare whats going on at Florida to Jeffery Simmons pre college

99jc
05-15-2019, 10:20 PM
charges. He is reaching in my opinion to justify what's going on at Florida. I like Dan but he is full of shit on this one.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26757512/mullen-responds-gators-rash-field-issues

TUSK
05-15-2019, 11:10 PM
charges. He is reaching in my opinion to justify what's going on at Florida. I like Dan but he is full of shit on this one.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26757512/mullen-responds-gators-rash-field-issues

you read into that too much, buddy.... I'm with the defense of JS.... but I don't see a similarity....

Gutter Cobreh
05-15-2019, 11:15 PM
you read into that too much, buddy.... I'm with the defense of JS.... but I don't see a similarity....

Mullen is grasping for straws on how to justify these situations and keep the athletes on the team. Simmons wasn't in college or on the team at the time he did what he did, so there wasn't really a decision Mullen had to make. These current events happened with a coach on staff and guys that are on the team, enrolled in school.

He's always talked out of both sides of his mouth, but in this case he can't talk his way out. He's going to have to make some decisions on whether his actions regarding culture match what he's been preaching about having to clean it up.

TUSK
05-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Mullen is grasping for straws on how to justify these situations and keep the athletes on the team. Simmons wasn't in college or on the team at the time he did what he did, so there wasn't really a decision Mullen had to make. These current events happened with a coach on staff and guys that are on the team, enrolled in school.

He's always talked out of both sides of his mouth, but in this case he can't talk his way out. He's going to have to make some decisions on whether his actions regarding culture match what he's been preaching about having to clean it up.

I perused the article, but didn't hammer it down (my fault)... but what specifically was Mullen hypocritical about...?

sandwolf
05-16-2019, 02:06 AM
I perused the article, but didn't hammer it down (my fault)... but what specifically was Mullen hypocritical about...?

I didn't see it either.

bulldawg28
05-16-2019, 03:15 AM

As said earlier I don't see the error of Mullen's stance. Let's be honest there would be no Jeffery Simmons at state if Mullen would not have stuck to this principle.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2019, 04:31 AM
Mullen didn?t and doesn?t make decisions on such issues. That?s the schools? call. It was here and will be there. With the things that went on with Urban, and all the media attention such things garner, you can bet FL isn’t leaving those decisions with Mullen.

bulldawg28
05-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Mullen didn?t and doesn?t make decisions on such issues. That?s the schools? call. It was here and will be there. With the things that went on with Urban, and all the media attention such things garner, you can bet FL isn’t leaving those decisions with Mullen.

Head football coaches play a tremendous part. If not they wouldn't speak with them only the administration.

Dawg2003
05-16-2019, 07:11 AM
I see no problem with what Mullen said.

Really Clark?
05-16-2019, 07:32 AM

The school and the coach could have denied Simmons entry. Just because he wasn’t a student yet, didn’t mean Mullen and the school had no choice but to let him in school and on the team. There was mostly definitely a decision that had to be made about Simmons before him enrolling in school. Other schools were calling him just days afterward to recruit him because they thought we very well may pull his scholarship.

I don’t really have a problem with how they are handling the athlete while information is being gathered for a misdemeanor charge. He’s suspended from all team activities while it’s being investigated. Nobody here would expect to be fired before things were investigated over a misdemeanor charge. Depending on your line of work, suspended with pay wouldn’t be crazy while it’s investigated but a lot of jobs wouldn’t have to even go that far.

Now I’m not justifying violence to women, I’ve taken very hardline on many situations brought up on here like this. Art Briles situation for example. I still believe he is toxic and needs to be held accountable and out of college coaching for a long time.

Now as far as the coach, he is on administrative leave and is looking at a felony. That’s very appropriate and has nothing to with Mullen or was a decision by him.

Jack Lambert
05-16-2019, 07:45 AM
He is doing what he needs to do to do what he is paid to do and that's win football games.

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2019, 09:22 AM
The school and the coach could have denied Simmons entry. Just because he wasn’t a student yet, didn’t mean Mullen and the school had no choice but to let him in school and on the team. There was mostly definitely a decision that had to be made about Simmons before him enrolling in school. Other schools were calling him just days afterward to recruit him because they thought we very well may pull his scholarship.

I don’t really have a problem with how they are handling the athlete while information is being gathered for a misdemeanor charge. He’s suspended from all team activities while it’s being investigated. Nobody here would expect to be fired before things were investigated over a misdemeanor charge. Depending on your line of work, suspended with pay wouldn’t be crazy while it’s investigated but a lot of jobs wouldn’t have to even go that far.

Now I’m not justifying violence to women, I’ve taken very hardline on many situations brought up on here like this. Art Briles situation for example. I still believe he is toxic and needs to be held accountable and out of college coaching for a long time.

Now as far as the coach, he is on administrative leave and is looking at a felony. That’s very appropriate and has nothing to with Mullen or was a decision by him.

Wonder why he chooses to talk about the Jeffrey Simmons situation instead of the Justin Watkins situation that happened a year ago??

"At the time, Mullen noted he was “aware of the incident” and “collecting information.” No punishment was ever announced for Watkins as this occurred after spring practice and the player was not yet enrolled at Florida. Watkins enrolled in the Summer B semester and formally joined the Gators. Mullen suspended Watkins from all team activities following the second incident."

http://www.onlygators.com/08/03/2018/justin-watkins-domestic-battery-incident-began-over-instagram-like-by-florida-teammate/

An excerpt from another article concerning Watkins:

"Mullen said at last week’s SEC Media Days that behavior accountability is something the team talks about every day. “Every day we talk about decision making — how that decision is going to affect you, how it affects your teammates, how does it affect your family, how does it affect our football program?” Mullen said. “Stick up and look out for each other as a team. That’s a huge thing. If your actions are not helping us achieve those goals, we need to reevaluate your actions.”"

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/07/uf-freshman-football-player-arrested-suspended-from-team-activities/

An excerpt from the OP article:

"It's really disappointing for us when we have individuals -- whether it's a student-athlete or a staff member -- make a decision that negatively affects them but also shines a little bit of a negative on the program," Mullen said. "[It's] really disappointing because we spend a lot of time on decision-making with our guys. ... We're spending a lot of time on how to make good decisions in life, how to make good social decisions and how to better themselves in life. When these type of things happen, obviously, it's very disappointing to us when there's a couple of individuals that do that."

While Mullen can't control the situations his players put themselves in, I just find it convenient that he chooses to drag Simmons situation into what he is facing today when he's had multiple instances he could have referred to (which is my biggest bone of contention). We all know it is because Simmons situation was an outlier and he didn't have another mistake during his time at MSU. Each situation is unique and you do have to wait until you gather all the facts before making a decision.

If I were Simmons, I would phone Mullen and "politely" inform him to keep my name out of his mouth...

Really Clark?
05-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Wonder why he chooses to talk about the Jeffrey Simmons situation instead of the Justin Watkins situation that happened a year ago??

"At the time, Mullen noted he was “aware of the incident” and “collecting information.” No punishment was ever announced for Watkins as this occurred after spring practice and the player was not yet enrolled at Florida. Watkins enrolled in the Summer B semester and formally joined the Gators. Mullen suspended Watkins from all team activities following the second incident."

http://www.onlygators.com/08/03/2018/justin-watkins-domestic-battery-incident-began-over-instagram-like-by-florida-teammate/

An excerpt from another article concerning Watkins:

"Mullen said at last week’s SEC Media Days that behavior accountability is something the team talks about every day. “Every day we talk about decision making — how that decision is going to affect you, how it affects your teammates, how does it affect your family, how does it affect our football program?” Mullen said. “Stick up and look out for each other as a team. That’s a huge thing. If your actions are not helping us achieve those goals, we need to reevaluate your actions.”"

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/07/uf-freshman-football-player-arrested-suspended-from-team-activities/

An excerpt from the OP article:

"It's really disappointing for us when we have individuals -- whether it's a student-athlete or a staff member -- make a decision that negatively affects them but also shines a little bit of a negative on the program," Mullen said. "[It's] really disappointing because we spend a lot of time on decision-making with our guys. ... We're spending a lot of time on how to make good decisions in life, how to make good social decisions and how to better themselves in life. When these type of things happen, obviously, it's very disappointing to us when there's a couple of individuals that do that."

While Mullen can't control the situations his players put themselves in, I just find it convenient that he chooses to drag Simmons situation into what he is facing today when he's had multiple instances he could have referred to (which is my biggest bone of contention). We all know it is because Simmons situation was an outlier and he didn't have another mistake during his time at MSU. Each situation is unique and you do have to wait until you gather all the facts before making a decision.

If I were Simmons, I would phone Mullen and "politely" inform him to keep my name out of his mouth...

Because Edwards and Simmons were both misdemeanors. Watkins had multiple felony charges, including kidnapping. A lot different between those instances.

And it read more to me about how he wants a lot of info and how even though some were calling to NOT allow Simmons in, he had a ton of information (some of it not public) to make a call on him. And he still stands by that decision today. I think many agree with him on that. I also took the article that he takes ownership that he would be hypocritical to say he is 100% on these situations. Acknowledging that he has to also site Simmons case. He and the school took heat over that situation. I think your making a much bigger deal of this article than it really is.

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Because Edwards and Simmons were both misdemeanors. Watkins had multiple felony charges, including kidnapping. A lot different between those instances.

And it read more to me about how he wants a lot of info and how even though some were calling to NOT allow Simmons in, he had a ton of information (some of it not public) to make a call on him. And he still stands by that decision today. I think many agree with him on that. I also took the article that he takes ownership that he would be hypocritical to say he is 100% on these situations. Acknowledging that he has to also site Simmons case. He and the school took heat over that situation. I think your making a much bigger deal of this article than it really is.

You're correct here. I would simply prefer for him to deal with the issues he has currently without referencing his time here.