PDA

View Full Version : Austin Riley Getting the call up

TNDawg35
05-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Braves announced this morning that Riley will get the call up to play left field. Congrats to the young man. Sure wish he could have come to State.

msstate7
05-15-2019, 10:49 AM
In AAA, .299/.377/.686. He leads the international league in hrs (15) and RBIs (39). His iso is .382. He's walking at 11.1% and striking at out 19.1%. His babip is .286, so little unlucky there. His hr/fly ball is 27.8%, so little lucky there. He will most likely play LF. I'm really excited to see him, but he has been a slow starter at every new level so may take time

The Federalist Engineer
05-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Braves announced this morning that Riley will get the call up to play left field. Congrats to the young man. Sure wish he could have come to State.

Braves may have costed us another SEC triple-crown and maybe a Golden Spikes by drafting him so much higher than expected.

Would he have come to MSU if he had been 2nd or 3rd round?

MarketingBully
05-15-2019, 11:46 AM
He’d of made a lot more money had he come to State and he probably would have made the majors in about the same time frame. When Ginn is a top 5 or 10 pick next year, hopefully it will encourage other kids to go to college instead of pro ball. Wish the NCAA would change the scholarship rules that would make attending college an easier choice. Sucks about the scholarship limitation that drags down the sport.

Homedawg
05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
He?d of made a lot more money had he come to State and he probably would have made the majors in about the same time frame. When Ginn is a top 5 or 10 pick next year, hopefully it will encourage other kids to go to college instead of pro ball. Wish the NCAA would change the scholarship rules that would make attending college an easier choice. Sucks about the scholarship limitation that drags down the sport.

I want all our signees to come to school. However, in this case, had he come here he wouldn't be in the bigs. He would be less than a year from being drafted. And I hope JT is taken that high but it's not a certainty. First round yes.

StarkVegasSteve
05-15-2019, 01:10 PM
We win the national championship in 2016 with Austin Riley in the lineup.

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 05:13 PM
If Scott Boras was Austin Riley's advisor he's a Bulldog.

That's all I'm saying about that.

msstate7
05-15-2019, 07:35 PM
HR... massive power

HooverDawg
05-15-2019, 07:42 PM
He?d of made a lot more money had he come to State and he probably would have made the majors in about the same time frame. When Ginn is a top 5 or 10 pick next year, hopefully it will encourage other kids to go to college instead of pro ball. Wish the NCAA would change the scholarship rules that would make attending college an easier choice. Sucks about the scholarship limitation that drags down the sport.

Lol the kid is 21 years old and just hit a dinger in his second career MLB at bat. He would still be in school if he came here. He made the right decision.

Ari Gold
05-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Kid obviously made the correct decision.

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Lol the kid is 21 years old and just hit a dinger in his second career MLB at bat. He would still be in school if he came here. He made the right decision.

He would have been drafted and left last year.

HooverDawg
05-15-2019, 07:50 PM
He would have been drafted and left last year.

You’re right but certainly wouldn’t be in the bigs yet.

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 08:07 PM
You’re right but certainly wouldn’t be in the bigs yet.

No- but he also may have gotten a higher signing bonus because he would have been a much higher draft pick and thus made more money and probably would have been in AA at worst right now and at worst been in MLB by next year.

Really Clark?
05-15-2019, 08:32 PM
No- but he also may have gotten a higher signing bonus because he would have been a much higher draft pick and thus made more money and probably would have been in AA at worst right now and at worst been in MLB by next year.

He also may obtain enough service days this year to be a super 2 and reach arbitration a year sooner and still be young when he hits free agency. A lot of if?s either way.

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 08:54 PM
He also may obtain enough service days this year to be a super 2 and reach arbitration a year sooner and still be young when he hits free agency. A lot of if?s either way.

Unless the Braves want to spend money I doubt that happens.

Homedawg
05-15-2019, 08:54 PM
If Scott Boras was Austin Riley's advisor he's a Bulldog.

That's all I'm saying about that.

Not necessarily. Lots of boras guys sign out of hs.

Homedawg
05-15-2019, 08:56 PM

No. He wouldn't be in school. He would have been a jr last year and signed. But the rest is correct. He wouldn't be in the bigs yet and he is now. And one day closer to his first big contract. That's where the money is made. Not in signing bonus anymore.

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Not necessarily. Lots of boras guys sign out of hs.

Yes, but the odds of him going to school would have been better and he probably would have made more money with Boras whether signed out of high school or college or not.

ZedFedder
05-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Kid is in the majors. He made the right decision. What if he comes and tears an ACL or has Tommy John? You never know.

MarketingBully
05-16-2019, 08:02 AM
I want all our signees to come to school. However, in this case, had he come here he wouldn't be in the bigs. He would be less than a year from being drafted. And I hope JT is taken that high but it's not a certainty. First round yes.

Good gosh you’re negative.

KB21
05-16-2019, 08:02 AM
I think a better example of why most, not all, high school players should go on to college were Grey Fenter and Greg Pickett, who were both a part of that class. Fenter has not gotten above A ball yet, and Pickett is currently out of baseball.

Austin was an interesting situation. He was being recruited as a dual position guy, but most teams in the pros were looking at him as a pitcher. Brian Bridges with the Braves was the one guy who felt he had the best power bat in that draft, and my guess is, taking him as a hitter was the only way anyone was going to get him to sign a contract.

MarketingBully
05-16-2019, 08:08 AM

He signed for $1.6 million. He would have definitely signed for much more then that had he come to school and been much more MLB ready. He would have been a constant at third base for us and possibly could of been a big difference in our 2017 and 2018 teams. He could have made a difference in the 2016 team too with his bat and his arm from the pen. He could have meant at least one more CWS appearance and possibly a natty.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 08:10 AM
He signed for $1.6 million. He would have definitely signed for much more then that had he come to school and been much more MLB ready. He would have been a constant at third base for us and possibly could of been a big difference in our 2017 and 2018 teams. He could have made a difference in the 2016 team too with his bat and his arm from the pen. He could have meant at least one more CWS appearance and possibly a natty.

Maybe so, but you're looking at things from our perspective, not his. The kid made the show, and is playing for his favorite team with his family close enough to see him often. Riley made the right decision

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2019, 08:18 AM

Nah, He'll get to free agency a year or two earlier by signing out of HS.

He's 22, so, if he would've signed out of MSU, he'd likely be in High A right now with a chance to get to AA by the end of the year.

So, by signing out of HS he essentially got to MLB a year earlier, which gets him to free agency a year earlier, which means he likely made 10+ million extra dollars by signing out of HS.

Everyone thinks the college vs HS debate is black & white, but it's not. Every family & kid are different & different needs to offer them the best chance of reaching their goals

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Kid obviously made the correct decision.

This. To say otherwise is just being biased

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Free agency a year earlier by signing out of HS = significantly more money than the draft

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2019, 08:21 AM
I think a better example of why most, not all, high school players should go on to college were Grey Fenter and Greg Pickett, who were both a part of that class. Fenter has not gotten above A ball yet, and Pickett is currently out of baseball.

Austin was an interesting situation. He was being recruited as a dual position guy, but most teams in the pros were looking at him as a pitcher. Brian Bridges with the Braves was the one guy who felt he had the best power bat in that draft, and my guess is, taking him as a hitter was the only way anyone was going to get him to sign a contract.

Fenter made the right decision. He got $1 mil from the Orioles when he wasn't worth more than 500K. Had he come to MSU, he likely would've gotten 350K or so

Really Clark?
05-16-2019, 09:04 AM

He's 22, so, if he would've signed out of MSU, he'd likely be in High A right now with a chance to get to AA by the end of the year.

So, by signing out of HS he essentially got to MLB a year earlier, which gets him to free agency a year earlier, which means he likely made 10+ million extra dollars by signing out of HS.

Everyone thinks the college vs HS debate is black & white, but it's not. Every family & kid are different & different needs to offer them the best chance of reaching their goals

Not to mention the possibility that the Braves extend him prior to his arbitration ending getting millions before hitting free agency.

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Kid is in the majors. He made the right decision. What if he comes and tears an ACL or has Tommy John? You never know.

After his 1 day of service in the big leagues, isn't he now covered with life-time health insurance?

He made the right decision regardless, just pointing out that getting to the majors (even for one day on the active roster) sooner outweighs all the rest.

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Wouldn't he and Rooker have been in the same signing class? If so, Rooker is in Triple-A so who knows where Riley would have been.

I'm on your side of this debate, but just pointing out that if those two were essentially in the same class - they've both progressed to the same level during the same time frame (just took different paths). Rooker could get the call-up tomorrow for all we know. Once you get to that level, it is about injury opportunities and service years.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't he and Rooker have been in the same signing class? If so, Rooker is in Triple-A so who knows where Riley would have been.

I'm on your side of this debate, but just pointing out that if those two were essentially in the same class - they've both progressed to the same level during the same time frame (just took different paths). Rooker could get the call-up tomorrow for all we know. Once you get to that level, it is about injury opportunities and service years.

Rooker is 2.5 years older

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Riley was in the 2015 signing class - which Perfect Game had rated 2nd. PG lists that class having LA, Mangum, Barlow, Breaux, Fenter, Parker Ford, Gilbert, James, Leibelt, Macnamee, Marrero, Pilk, Plumlee, Price, Small, Tyler Spring, and Stovall. Unreal.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Riley was in the 2015 signing class - which Perfect Game had rated 2nd. PG lists that class having LA, Mangum, Barlow, Breaux, Fenter, Parker Ford, Gilbert, James, Leibelt, Macnamee, Marrero, Pilk, Plumlee, Price, Small, Tyler Spring, and Stovall. Unreal.

So of that group, pilk and Stovall are in milb...
Pilk in A+ = 13.50 era in tiny sample size
Stovall in A = .247/.336/.371

To be fair, I think Riley is immensely more talented than both

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 10:56 AM
So of that group, pilk and Stovall are in milb...
Pilk in A+ = 13.50 era in tiny sample size
Stovall in A = .247/.336/.371

To be fair, I think Riley is immensely more talented than both

Fenter is in A and Marrero may be in short season A (no stats yet). But, I think if he had come here, he is drafted last year and might be in the same place he is now. A lot of college guys have made similar jumps within the first year of getting drafted - Raffy and Will both did; Bob Horner never played an inning of MiLB (and had a combined 48 HR and 163 RBI between ASU and ATL in 1978); Barry Bonds was in MLB within a year. Even Dansby Swanson made MLB with a Sept. call up with a year and a half roughly of MiLB.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Fenter is in A and Marrero may be in short season A (no stats yet). But, I think if he had come here, he is drafted last year and might be in the same place he is now. A lot of college guys have made similar jumps within the first year of getting drafted - Raffy and Will both did; Bob Horner never played an inning of MiLB (and had a combined 48 HR and 163 RBI between ASU and ATL in 1978); Barry Bonds was in MLB within a year. Even Dansby Swanson made MLB with a Sept. call up with a year and a half roughly of MiLB.

Can't say for sure, but here's the top 5 picks in last year's draft (all college players)...
1. Mize AA (strong start)
2. Bart A+ (Strong start)
3. Bohm A+ (Strong start)
4. Madrigal A+ (Weak start)
5. India A+ (Strong start)

I think it's pretty much a stretch to say Riley would've hit a hr in Atlanta last night had he gone to state

Really Clark?
05-16-2019, 11:25 AM

There is not one 1st rounder from last years class beyond AA. And only Mize and Hoener are in AA. Everyone else is High A or lower. He was in AA last year. Now some may get some MLB games in late this season but he is at a min, a year earlier 99.9% drafted players from last season than he would have been if he came here.

MarketingBully
05-16-2019, 11:26 AM

What could it of hurt had he gone to college three years and been exposed to extremely great competition and won an SEC title and possibly been the missing piece on one of the 2016, 2017, or 2018 teams to win a natty? The kid would have been a higher draft pick and gotten more money as a junior then he did coming out of high school and before you say well you don’t know that there are many more examples that bare out getting drafted higher when coming to college then not. Of course this might not have been a factor for him if he wasn’t a State fan growing up. He will never get a chance to have the experience of a CWS. JT Ginn has the possibility of having that chance and imo if Ginn’s trajectory stays on course he will be a top 10 pick because now he has shown he can be a starter.

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Can't say for sure, but here's the top 5 picks in last year's draft (all college players)...
1. Mize AA (strong start)
2. Bart A+ (Strong start)
3. Bohm A+ (Strong start)
4. Madrigal A+ (Weak start)
5. India A+ (Strong start)

I think it's pretty much a stretch to say Riley would've hit a hr in Atlanta last night had he gone to state

I don't think it is a stretch. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere - he's excelled all thru the minors. It's not usual, but going from college to the majors within a year is not unheard of. Talent will do that for you

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 11:35 AM
There is not one 1st rounder from last years class beyond AA. And only Mize and Hoener are in AA. Everyone else is High A or lower. He was in AA last year. Now some may get some MLB games in late this season but he is at a min, a year earlier 99.9% drafted players from last season than he would have been if he came here.
So what? Maybe Riley is just better than them. While it's not usual - it's not unheard of. I gave 5 examples off the top of my head.

DAWGS1
05-16-2019, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Gutter Cobreh;1105932]After his 1 day of service in the big leagues, isn't he now covered with life
Insurance

msstate7
05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
So what? Maybe Riley is just better than them. While it's not usual - it's not unheard of. I gave 5 examples off the top of my head.

The only recent example you gave was Swanson and he was 3.5 months later than Riley. The Swanson promotion was also an idiotic ploy to sell tickets. That promotion probably has a lot to do with dansby's struggles his first 2 seasons

HooverDawg
05-16-2019, 11:53 AM
What could it of hurt had he gone to college three years and been exposed to extremely great competition and won an SEC title and possibly been the missing piece on one of the 2016, 2017, or 2018 teams to win a natty? The kid would have been a higher draft pick and gotten more money as a junior then he did coming out of high school and before you say well you don?t know that there are many more examples that bare out getting drafted higher when coming to college then not. Of course this might not have been a factor for him if he wasn?t a State fan growing up. He will never get a chance to have the experience of a CWS. JT Ginn has the possibility of having that chance and imo if Ginn?s trajectory stays on course he will be a top 10 pick because now he has shown he can be a starter.

I love Mississippi State as much as anyone, but you're just not dealing in reality here.

Really Clark?
05-16-2019, 12:02 PM

5 examples spanning decades. Look I know it’s possible but very few actually do it. 8 times since 1980. Since 1989 and Jim Abbott and John Olerud, only Xavier Nady in 2000 and Mike Leake in 2010 have went straight to the bigs. You also forgot Laurin Pepper from USM who did it in 1954. That’s going straight which I know wasn’t the meat of your example but thought I’d point out it’s extremely rare in today’s game and hasn’t happen in nearly a decade.

I mean look at the 2017 draft of college players. Brandon McKay AA Montgomery 4th overall, Kyle Wright has a little time back and forth but didn’t make his debut until Sept call up, 7th overall AA, 8th overall AA, 9th overall played in 2 MLB games this week for his debut, 11th overall was going to minors but injured for the year, 15th overall AA, 16th AA, 17th AA, 18th AA, 20th AA, 22nd HiA, 23rd HiA, 24th AA, 25th HiA before TJ last August, 28th AA, 30th HiA. Most of these players are 22-23 years old as well in that 2017 class. So he is still ahead of them by 1-3 years

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the clarity.

[QUOTE=Gutter Cobreh;1105932]After his 1 day of service in the big leagues, isn't he now covered with life
Insurance

Thanks. While having the opportunity to make more money sooner, this is one area that often gets overlooked that I think is a huge benefit.

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
The only recent example you gave was Swanson and he was 3.5 months later than Riley. The Swanson promotion was also an idiotic ploy to sell tickets. That promotion probably has a lot to do with dansby's struggles his first 2 seasons

Lets see - from 2015 we have Alex Bregman, Andrew Benintendi, Carson Fulmer, all made MLB within a season and a half. Yes, they were later in the season than Riley. In reality though, if Inciarte is not injured and was playing to form to last year Riley isn't up until late this year at the earliest anyway to protect the investment.

I know pitchers are different too - but Mike Leake went from ASU in '09, to Arizona Fall League, to 5th start for the Reds out of Spring Training in '10. Kyle Wright was drafted in '17 and up with the Braves for 4 games in '18.

Again, it's not usual. It also isn't unheard of.

Dawg2003
05-16-2019, 12:25 PM
What could it of hurt had he gone to college three years and been exposed to extremely great competition and won an SEC title and possibly been the missing piece on one of the 2016, 2017, or 2018 teams to win a natty? The kid would have been a higher draft pick and gotten more money as a junior then he did coming out of high school and before you say well you don?t know that there are many more examples that bare out getting drafted higher when coming to college then not. Of course this might not have been a factor for him if he wasn?t a State fan growing up. He will never get a chance to have the experience of a CWS. JT Ginn has the possibility of having that chance and imo if Ginn?s trajectory stays on course he will be a top 10 pick because now he has shown he can be a starter.

It depends on what you value. Some people don't value going to a CWS or playing at Dudy Noble more than 1 million dollars. And there's nothing wrong with that.

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
5 examples spanning decades. Look I know it’s possible but very few actually do it. 8 times since 1980. Since 1989 and Jim Abbott and John Olerud, only Xavier Nady in 2000 and Mike Leake in 2010 have went straight to the bigs. You also forgot Laurin Pepper from USM who did it in 1954. That’s going straight which I know wasn’t the meat of your example but thought I’d point out it’s extremely rare in today’s game and hasn’t happen in nearly a decade.

I mean look at the 2017 draft of college players. Brandon McKay AA Montgomery 4th overall, Kyle Wright has a little time back and forth but didn’t make his debut until Sept call up, 7th overall AA, 8th overall AA, 9th overall played in 2 MLB games this week for his debut, 11th overall was going to minors but injured for the year, 15th overall AA, 16th AA, 17th AA, 18th AA, 20th AA, 22nd HiA, 23rd HiA, 24th AA, 25th HiA before TJ last August, 28th AA, 30th HiA. Most of these players are 22-23 years old as well in that 2017 class. So he is still ahead of them by 1-3 years

Yes he is ahead. And, it used to be more common. The economics of the game have shifted the call ups as much as anything. Teams are more willing to keep kids in the minors to delay free agency, so you don't see many going quickly through now. But, why is hard for people to believe that Riley could have come to State, been drafted, and be in the same place and yet don't bat an eye at Acuna and Albies making the majors at 20? Talent advances through the system. It was rumored that Riley was going to be called up last September.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Lets see - from 2015 we have Alex Bregman, Andrew Benintendi, Carson Fulmer, all made MLB within a season and a half. Yes, they were later in the season than Riley. In reality though, if Inciarte is not injured and was playing to form to last year Riley isn't up until late this year at the earliest anyway to protect the investment.

I know pitchers are different too - but Mike Leake went from ASU in '09, to Arizona Fall League, to 5th start for the Reds out of Spring Training in '10. Kyle Wright was drafted in '17 and up with the Braves for 4 games in '18.

Again, it's not usual. It also isn't unheard of.

For once in my life, I'm not gonna argue. Austin Riley absolutely made the correct decision imo, and there's nothing to you can say to convince me otherwise. And I bet you couldn't convince Riley, his family, agent, or anyone other than a miss state fan that Riley didn't make the correct decision

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 12:28 PM
For once in my life, I'm not gonna argue. Austin Riley absolutely made the correct decision imo, and there's nothing to you can say to convince me otherwise. And I bet you couldn't convince Riley, his family, agent, or anyone other than a miss state fan that Riley didn't make the correct decision

Where did I day he made the wrong decision? I never claimed that at all. All I've said is that it is plausible that he could have come to MSU and still made his MLB debut last night.

If my scrawny 18 year old, 6' tall, 135 lbs. second base playing self had been drafted at all - my ass would have been riding the buses in the South Atlantic League instead of going to college.

Dawg2003
05-16-2019, 12:33 PM
I love Mississippi State as much as anyone, but you're just not dealing in reality here.

It's also insecurity. A lot of our fans are insecure about our school and our sports teams. So anytime a player doesn't pick us, or transfers, or leaves school early, they become convinced it must because the kid was given bad advice, made the wrong decision, or was otherwise bamboozled in some way. Instead of just admitting that the kid might have made the choice they wanted to and have no regrets.

StateDawg44
05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
It's also insecurity. A lot of our fans are insecure about our school and our sports teams. So anytime a player doesn't pick us, or transfers, or leaves school early, they become convinced it must because the kid was given bad advice, made the wrong decision, or was otherwise bamboozled in some way. Instead of just admitting that the kid might have made the choice they wanted to and have no regrets.

I don't necessarily think that is unique to only our fanbase though.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Where did I day he made the wrong decision? I never claimed that at all. All I've said is that it is plausible that he could have come to MSU and still made his MLB debut last night.

If my scrawny 18 year old, 6' tall, 135 lbs. second base playing self had been drafted at all - my ass would have been riding the buses in the South Atlantic League instead of going to college.

Me too haha

Dawg2003
05-16-2019, 01:32 PM
I don't necessarily think that is unique to only our fanbase though.

No, it's definitely not.

Todd4State
05-16-2019, 04:36 PM

I've never seen a fan base say that baseball recruits should take the money as much as MSU fans historically speaking. I'm not even talking about Austin Riley. Until we change our tune 100% that MSU baseball is worth playing for we'll struggle with getting top flight recruits and keeping our juniors for their senior year.

There's a reason why LSU is so successful at it- and a big part of it is the attitude and pride that comes with playing for LSU over a couple million dollars.

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 08:39 PM
3 for 3 with an RBI so far tonight. Dude is on fire.

msstate7
05-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Oppo double off the top of the wall at 107 mph, hard hit single, and a jam job he muscled to center (little lucky on this one). He's hit balls hard since promotion. Looks to be the real deal

Turfdawg67
05-16-2019, 08:43 PM

He looks amazing! The Braves look freakin' loaded can't wait to see him/them live. I'm a sidewalk Braves fan, who did he replace?

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2019, 08:46 PM
He looks amazing! The Braves look freakin' loaded can't wait to see him/them live. I'm a sidewalk Braves fan, who did he replace?

Inciarte went on the 10 day IR. He may have just been Wally Pipp-ed