PDA

View Full Version : La Tech Thoughts

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 12:02 AM
We picked up another good Q1/Q2 win and helped out the tornado victims in Ruston- so it was a good night. We also finished undefeated in midweek competition which I can't recall happening before.

I thought the biggest thing was we had some pitchers that we don't use a lot have good nights. If we have to use Brandon Smith as the opener and then bring in Keegan and it work the best for us- by all means we should do it. I thought that was the most important thing in this game- Smith had a good start for two innings and then Keegan came in and did well until the fifth when he gave up the home run and maybe got tired a little bit. We also got Tyler Spring and Eric Cerentola in the game as well. Jack Eagan did OK and we did have to use Leibelt, Barlow, and Cole a little bit to seal the win.

Luke Hancock was really impressive behind the plate and also with the bat. He's over .400 now and made some nice plays including throwing out a La Tech runner on a baserunning mistake. If Skelton goes pro we're in good shape with Hancock and Hayden Jones. Most of the infield had a good night at the plate- Westburg had a couple of hits including a double which was nice to see. Gilbert had an impressive opposite field home run which got us going and Foscue had a good game at the plate including another double.

Rowdey had a good night as well including a double and is now up to .276. Mangum went 0-5 but had an outfield assist. With MacNamee out we're going to see a lot more Cumbest and Hatcher in the outfield. Cumbest went 0-2 with a walk tonight but the experience he is going to get over the next few weeks is going to be valuable for the next two years.

Next up is our last SEC series against South Carolina. They're near the bottom in the league in both pitching and hitting and we will be playing them in Starkville. We should win the series if not sweep them- but we're going to have to play well to do that. They have won a series over Clemson and Kentucky and they lead the league in home runs. One win or a LSU loss gets us a bye in the SEC Tournament and that is huge. I think we are a National Seed no matter what we do this weekend- but winning one game makes it a slam dunk. It would be great to win 20 SEC games and send the seniors out on a good note on senior day.

And congrats to Chris Lemonis on breaking the MSU record for wins by a first year coach.

Jack Lambert
05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
I didn't get to listen to game or watch it. Did Cumbest play?

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2019, 09:13 AM
I didn't get to listen to game or watch it. Did Cumbest play?

He started in RF and went 0-2, he got robbed on a Sportscenter type of play by the SS and even then might have beaten out the throw.

Jack Lambert
05-15-2019, 09:17 AM
He started in RF and went 0-2, he got robbed on a Sportscenter type of play by the SS and even then might have beaten out the throw.

I'm kind of excited to see him on the Football Field.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2019, 09:19 AM
I'm kind of excited to see him on the Football Field.

You can't teach 6'5" 240 lbs and fast as greased lightning. He actually looked like the best recruit on the field in the MS/AL allstar game.

It might be a tough choice on which sport to pursue. He hits the ball well and actually doesn't strike out too much for a freshman.

West Tn Dawg
05-15-2019, 10:19 AM
We picked up another good Q1/Q2 win and helped out the tornado victims in Ruston- so it was a good night. We also finished undefeated in midweek competition which I can't recall happening before.

I thought the biggest thing was we had some pitchers that we don't use a lot have good nights. If we have to use Brandon Smith as the opener and then bring in Keegan and it work the best for us- by all means we should do it. I thought that was the most important thing in this game- Smith had a good start for two innings and then Keegan came in and did well until the fifth when he gave up the home run and maybe got tired a little bit. We also got Tyler Spring and Eric Cerentola in the game as well. Jack Eagan did OK and we did have to use Leibelt, Barlow, and Cole a little bit to seal the win.

Luke Hancock was really impressive behind the plate and also with the bat. He's over .400 now and made some nice plays including throwing out a La Tech runner on a baserunning mistake. If Skelton goes pro we're in good shape with Hancock and Hayden Jones. Most of the infield had a good night at the plate- Westburg had a couple of hits including a double which was nice to see. Gilbert had an impressive opposite field home run which got us going and Foscue had a good game at the plate including another double.

Rowdey had a good night as well including a double and is now up to .276. Mangum went 0-5 but had an outfield assist. With MacNamee out we're going to see a lot more Cumbest and Hatcher in the outfield. Cumbest went 0-2 with a walk tonight but the experience he is going to get over the next few weeks is going to be valuable for the next two years.

Next up is our last SEC series against South Carolina. They're near the bottom in the league in both pitching and hitting and we will be playing them in Starkville. We should win the series if not sweep them- but we're going to have to play well to do that. They have won a series over Clemson and Kentucky and they lead the league in home runs. One win or a LSU loss gets us a bye in the SEC Tournament and that is huge. I think we are a National Seed no matter what we do this weekend- but winning one game makes it a slam dunk. It would be great to win 20 SEC games and send the seniors out on a good note on senior day.

And congrats to Chris Lemonis on breaking the MSU record for wins by a first year coach.

Did you sense anything wrong with Jake, or was it just one of those nights? Several times they showed him in the dug out and he just didn't seem himself.

BuckyIsAB****
05-15-2019, 08:40 PM

We went undefeated in the midweek in 2013 I believe

Todd4State
05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Did you sense anything wrong with Jake, or was it just one of those nights? Several times they showed him in the dug out and he just didn't seem himself.

Probably just a bad night.