PDA

View Full Version : What is the Result of This?

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Looks like the NCAA is folding to pressure & looking into allowing players to make money off their likeness

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ncaa-assembles-working-group-to-look-into-allowing-athletes-to-make-money-from-their-likeness/

My question is: what is the result of this?

How does it effect recruiting?

How would it effect the world of college athletics?

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2019, 02:50 PM
My concern is that this rule would make college sports a "big market" world & allow bigger fan bases to offer financial benefits to players considering their school.

Am I wrong?

Bothrops
05-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Am I wrong?

Ultimately, no. College football is going to get hit with so many changes we won't recognize it in 20 years.

StarkVegasSteve
05-14-2019, 02:59 PM
If it means we get NCAA Football back I'm 1,000,000% on board.

Maroonthirteen
05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
If they allow this, I can See the shoe companies attaching to the favorite heisman candidate pre season and flooding the market with their jersey or shoes for basketball.

Obviously it will give teams like Bama and Michigan an even bigger advantage because of the size of their fan base the kid will maximize their potential jersey sales.

Martianlander
05-14-2019, 03:06 PM
They won't be happy till they find a way to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

BulldogDX55
05-14-2019, 03:19 PM

This a thousand times over. My PS3 gave out so I can't even get the updated rosters any more.

Dawgology
05-14-2019, 03:27 PM

What I was thinking

thf24
05-14-2019, 03:46 PM
My concern is that this rule would make college sports a "big market" world & allow bigger fan bases to offer financial benefits to players considering their school.

Am I wrong?

You're absolutely right. The best players will go where their likenesses are the most marketable, i.e. the blue bloods. Things will either stay the same or get worse for the little guys; they certainly wouldn't get better like some are trying to claim.

RocketDawg
05-14-2019, 03:48 PM
If they allow this, I can See the shoe companies attaching to the favorite heisman candidate pre season and flooding the market with their jersey or shoes for basketball.

Obviously it will give teams like Bama and Michigan an even bigger advantage because of the size of their fan base the kid will maximize their potential jersey sales.

If they allow it, they may as well go ahead and pay the players, above board. And then quit pretending they're "student athletes" ... just make it a professional team attached to a university.

Doggie_Style
05-14-2019, 03:57 PM
They won't be happy till they find a way to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I agree....this is a slippery slope and one the NCAA should be very careful with....I for one have no interest in watching minor league professional football which is where this could be headed.

Gutter Cobreh
05-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Am I wrong?

The flip side of this is how many jerseys of different players can one fan base buy? If you were listing top jersey sells from a particular school, would Michigan's #10 top seller beat out our #1 top seller?

If that turns out to be the case, I say we start buying all the O-lineman and D-lineman jerseys we can get our hands on. Having an elite OL and DL will outweigh the WR position. Hell, we can't seem to field competent WRs now and we still win 8-9 games.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2019, 05:00 PM
I say we funnel athletic money to MSU businesses to pay players a ridiculous amount of money to do TV ads.

We could’ve funneled $300K to Restaurant Tyler to pay AJ Brown to do a few commercials.

See the issue here?

Who makes the rules on the value of someone’s likeness?

What if an MSU business charges $10K for a Jersey?

Can we also do weekly autograph sessions? Who decides how much an autograph cost So?

Any ability to make money off likeness must also come with a draft. It’s the only way

BeardoMSU
05-14-2019, 05:04 PM
You're absolutely right. The best players will go where their likenesses are the most marketable, i.e. the blue bloods. Things will either stay the same or get worse for the little guys; they certainly wouldn't get better like some are trying to claim.

Good thing the blue bloods don't already clean up in recruiting...**

sleepy dawg
05-14-2019, 05:06 PM
I agree....this is a slippery slope and one the NCAA should be very careful with....I for one have no interest in watching minor league professional football which is where this could be headed.

You already are.

Liverpooldawg
05-14-2019, 05:33 PM
I would say it is the official beginning of the end for college sports as a major thing. It will eventually result in college sports moving from de facto minor leagues that command major attention and markets to REAL minor leagues that command minor league attention. Triple A Parks are nice but how many of you can name all of the clubs? How many of you would want to even see your local one on TV every week?

Activated Alpha
05-14-2019, 05:54 PM

Finally Mississippi State back on top of the college football world where it belongs. We are kings in that world

FriarsPoint
05-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Looks like the NCAA is folding to pressure & looking into allowing players to make money off their likeness

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ncaa-assembles-working-group-to-look-into-allowing-athletes-to-make-money-from-their-likeness/

I look forward to following the Huntington Hawks in the near future and watching them compete for a DIII championship.

BuckyIsAB****
05-14-2019, 07:26 PM
I hope it brings back NCAA Football video games but I am personally not in favor of it....BUT These kids today have more than they have ever had, they are getting paid not only through a scholarship but they also receive stipends to live on. If you are an athlete you are given everything you could need, clothing, housing, food, entertainment and not to mention the love of hundreds of thousands of people 365 days a year.

They do work incredibly hard and the life of a college athlete is tough but its def not without rewards

FriarsPoint
05-14-2019, 08:08 PM
I hope it brings back NCAA Football video games but I am personally not in favor of it....BUT These kids today have more than they have ever had, they are getting paid not only through a scholarship but they also receive stipends to live on. If you are an athlete you are given everything you could need, clothing, housing, food, entertainment and not to mention the love of hundreds of thousands of people 365 days a year.

They do work incredibly hard and the life of a college athlete is tough but its def not without rewards

Don’t forget hours upon hours of free tutoring that could easily make your 2.8 gpa student into a 3.5 or higher gpa student.

deadheaddawg
05-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Paying college athletes is like alcohol prohibition. Or gambling, drugs, prostitution. Whatever black market item you want to use.

There is a market for it, so either allow it or actually enforce it.

They sure don't seem to be enforcing it. And if you end up actually enforcing it the way you should....then every fanbase is going to be pissed for what they believe is NCAA overreach.

Look at how fans, ours included, always jump to conspiracy theories about refs and umpires...the sec office is out to get us.

Can you imagine the constant fan bitching, by every fanbase, if they actually tried to stop everything?

Just pay them and be done with it, because I doubt anyone actually wants the consequences of cleaning it up. The NCAA has the money to hire an army and be proactive. Do random audits. Deal heavy fines. Check everything that just seems fishy.

If we actually want to really clean it up

Coach007
05-15-2019, 12:22 AM

It means the Bama's get stronger and the Ms Sts will get weaker. This is a huge advantage to those colleges. let's see how they set it up though...

They make money per sell, then it's a 100s of thousands if they go to a Bama, Ohio St....etc. Huge fan base.

It would even make Central Florida a sought after place. They have the largest enrollment in the nation.

To those that say this will cut back on cheating... NOPE. That will never end. Lets take our "friends" up north. They buy 1,000,000 shirts... pay the payers and give the shirts away for a dollar. 2 dollars. You still get people that will game that system

Dawgology
05-15-2019, 06:17 AM
It would dramatically change the landscape of college football.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2019, 09:32 AM
It means the Bama's get stronger and the Ms Sts will get weaker. This is a huge advantage to those colleges. let's see how they set it up though...

They make money per sell, then it's a 100s of thousands if they go to a Bama, Ohio St....etc. Huge fan base.

It would even make Central Florida a sought after place. They have the largest enrollment in the nation.

To those that say this will cut back on cheating... NOPE. That will never end. Lets take our "friends" up north. They buy 1,000,000 shirts... pay the payers and give the shirts away for a dollar. 2 dollars. You still get people that will game that system

It will be interesting if they let the player market like that then you will have people looking to the big time programs like that. There will be value in being the starting QB for a SEC team, just not as much as someone at UT or Bama.

Or do they pool the money and divide it up amongst the active players in Division 1?

Activated Alpha
05-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Don't see how this could survive Title IX laws

MedDawg
05-15-2019, 09:55 AM
I say we funnel athletic money to MSU businesses to pay players a ridiculous amount of money to do TV ads.

We could?ve funneled $300K to Restaurant Tyler to pay AJ Brown to do a few commercials.

See the issue here?

Who makes the rules on the value of someone?s likeness?

What if an MSU business charges $10K for a Jersey?

Can we also do weekly autograph sessions? Who decides how much an autograph cost So?

Any ability to make money off likeness must also come with a draft. It?s the only way

Absolutely. It would turn recruiting into an auction. Boosters could give recruits $20,000 for a signed picture. MSU could fall behind football schools that are more willing or able to spend the money, like Texas A&M or OM.

State or school loyalty will go out the window, so we'd lose more Mississippi high schoolers. However, State could benefit by going after kids in the north--we'd buy players from Indiana and Illinois because their schools wouldn't care enough to spend the bucks.

It could benefit State in sports other than football--we might be willing to outspend schools for top women basketball players and baseball players.