PDA

View Full Version : For everyone wondering why people cant touch Small?s fastball

AlSwearengen
05-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Even though it is generally around 92, which is good, but not untouchable when taking velocity only into account.

Foxhall was on sportstalk the other day and Cross asked him why Ethan?s fastball is what it is. Cross asked if it was the spin rate and Foxhall said that more than spin rate it was where Ethan releases the ball. Basically, when the ball leaves his hand, his hand is much closer to the plate than most other pitchers. It effectively turns his 92 mph fastball into a 98 mph fastball.

The other factor is vertical break which is the amount the ball drops on the way to the plate. Because Ethan gets so much backspin on the ball, it is tricking the batter?s eye into thinking the ball is lower than it really is. That seems like spin rate to me, but I guess it is different.

So, extension and vertical break are what sets him apart from other pitchers.

The interview was very interesting and I learned something new.

MetEdDawg
05-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Even though it is generally around 92, which is good, but not untouchable when taking velocity only into account.

Foxhall was on sportstalk the other day and Cross asked him why Ethan?s fastball is what it is. Cross asked if it was the spin rate and Foxhall said that more than spin rate it was where Ethan releases the ball. Basically, when the ball leaves his hand, his hand is much closer to the plate than most other pitchers. It effectively turns his 92 mph fastball into a 98 mph fastball.

The other factor is vertical break which is the amount the ball drops on the way to the plate. Because Ethan gets so much backspin on the ball, it is tricking the batter?s eye into thinking the ball is lower than it really is. That seems like spin rate to me, but I guess it is different.

It's very similar to Randy Johnson in terms of mechanics and reason. Randy already threw the piss out of the ball. But at 6' 10" his release point was so close to the plate it made it that much harder to hit him.

Small gets way down the mound when he throws and he has longer arms, so he really does a good job of decreasing the distance between him and home plate.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2019, 02:09 PM

In the A&M game, Boomer White (a former player who was really good) said that they called what Small threw an invisiball. It has so much backspin that it basically makes you guess where it should be because you just don't pick it up.

Really Clark?
05-14-2019, 02:18 PM

The bold paragraph is definitely about the spin rate. Your right on track on that.

As far as his release point, obviously if he releases closer to the plate the reaction time is faster for a batter, even if two pitchers velocity are identical. But I don’t think the math works for him to pick up 5-7 mph in reaction time for the hitter. I think he would have to be releasing the ball 3-5 feet closer than normal pitchers. Someone may have the data handy for that. I know, depending on initial release velocity, that pitchers lose about 1 mph per every 6-7 feet after release. So I buy that his actual velocity can appear faster than it is by realizing it closer to plate. But 6 mph reaction time difference seems far fetched.

AlSwearengen
05-14-2019, 02:19 PM
In the A&M game, Boomer White (a former player who was really good) said that they called what Small threw an invisiball. It has so much backspin that it basically makes you guess where it should be because you just don't pick it up.

Yes, I remember hearing him say that.

Jack Lambert
05-14-2019, 02:24 PM
It's amazing how from from the mound he is after releasing the ball. Looks like he is three feet closer to the plate when he releases the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h41dYWwKh4

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2019, 02:36 PM
sigh........

99jc
05-14-2019, 03:17 PM
It makes a huge difference your release point closer to the plate. Aroldis Chapman when he was with the Reds 104 Mph fastball was like 110 when it crossed the plate.

RougeDawg
05-14-2019, 04:13 PM

All of this was stated during the game thread the other day.

Edit to add link. https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?74355-Game-1-MSU-vs-the-shitheads/page5&p=1103722&highlight=Game

Gutter Cobreh
05-14-2019, 04:34 PM
sigh........

As much as I give you a hard time, I'm going to give you some rep. here.

During the game thread this weekend, I inquired if the hesitation that he's added has helped him and you accurately pointed out prior to this thread what made him special.

For those of you that didn't see it, reference post #86 and #99 by Shotgun.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?74355-Game-1-MSU-vs-the-shitheads/page5

Lord McBuckethead
05-14-2019, 05:06 PM
We could do the math really quick.

92 mph = 134.993 fps
Distance Travelled = 54'-0" approximate?
Reaction Time = .40002s

Reaction Time = .40002s
Average Distance Travelled = 55'-0"
FPS = 137.49
MPH = 93.74

Average release point is 55' from home plate

So per foot closer to the mound, at small's velocity he gains approx 1.75 mph on his fastball. He may release 2 feet closer and that would put the equivalent at 95.5 mph

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2019, 07:32 PM
sigh........

http://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/051523fbbd198665990f53633b45e3596aef4.jpg

gravedigger
05-14-2019, 07:58 PM
It makes a huge difference your release point closer to the plate. Aroldis Chapman when he was with the Reds 104 Mph fastball was like 110 when it crossed the plate.

Welp...maybe not so much.

See post above.

AlSwearengen
05-14-2019, 08:33 PM
I don’t know about the math and I thought 92 to 98 was high as well. Those were Foxhall’s exact words in the interview though. You can find a link to the interview on the other board.

I took it as though he was just giving an example and not the exact math.