PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Trophy: Mangum or Small? Who ya voting for?

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Interesting question.

Both are deserving.

Jake has had a great year to deserve it & then you also have the career accomplishments.

On the other hand, Ethan could be in line to win the SEC Pitcher of the Year & is likely to go higher in the draft.

What's your vote?

R2Dawg
05-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Whew, that is a tough one. If career weighs in, gotta go Jake but Small has been so dominant this year and is a top picture in college baseball. Disadvantage Small gets is only one outing a week. Have to see how next 4 games play out. Glad it isn't my decision, it would be a first ever tie right now.

Johnson85
05-13-2019, 11:55 AM
I think you have to decide based on how they fare versus the competition at their position?

How many players this year across the country would be competitive with Jake as far as total package as lead off hitter and defender?

How many starting pitchers would be competitive with Small?

I have no clue on the answer to either question, just how I would decide it if I had to, since comparing between pitcher and batter/fielder seems hard.

ScoobaDawg
05-13-2019, 12:01 PM
I think it's awarded on the best YEAR. Hopefully Jake doesn't get discounted because people are looking at his career as a whole...because he is having one of the best years in MSU baseball history this year. .401 BA, on pace to break the MSU hitting record for the season. and that's without giving any stats for how many games we win because of him on the defensive side of the ball.

But Small is just dominant.

Hard decision.

deadheaddawg
05-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Good question.

I give the edge to Small. If it was a career award, obviously Jake. And while Jake has been amazing this year, Small has been damn near flawless

Ari Gold
05-13-2019, 01:31 PM
It’s Small .. not saying it shouldn’t be that close but it really shouldn’t ..

BiscuitEater
05-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Good question.

BOTH are deserving. Don't know how voting works BUT just hope they don't split the vote enough that neither get it.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
FWIW, Mangum has already won one.

HooverDawg
05-13-2019, 03:32 PM
Gotta be Mangum. Mangum will play in 56 regular season games compared to 14 for Small. Mangum is far and away our team MVP this year. Small has been sensational and deserves pitcher of the year, but Mangum has impacted every single game and win for us this year.

Todd4State
05-13-2019, 04:05 PM
I think I would go with Jake. But it's close.

sleepy dawg
05-13-2019, 04:12 PM
I think Small deserves it. Dude has 132 strikeouts and 19 walks in 78 innings. He has a 1.73 era as a starter in the SEC. He's the best pitcher in the country and best player in the state this year.

bulldogcountry1
05-13-2019, 07:12 PM
I think there should be a Mangum trophy for career achievement.

BuckyIsAB****
05-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Mangum by far.

klong-dog
05-13-2019, 11:22 PM
Mangum by far.

So I'd seriously make them co- winners.

Lord McBuckethead
05-14-2019, 01:24 PM
So I'd seriously make them co- winners.

I hate co-winners, but I agree.

sleepy dawg
05-14-2019, 01:48 PM
Gotta be Mangum. Mangum will play in 56 regular season games compared to 14 for Small. Mangum is far and away our team MVP this year. Small has been sensational and deserves pitcher of the year, but Mangum has impacted every single game and win for us this year.

I don't agree with this method at all. Small has faced more batters than Mangum has at bats. While Mangum bats every few innings every game, Small pitches to every batter every inning for most innings every few games. In the end, I guarantee Small has pitched to more batters than Mangum has faced pitchers.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2019, 02:04 PM
I don't agree with this method at all. Small has faced more batters than Mangum has at bats. While Mangum bats every few innings every game, Small pitches to every batter every inning for most innings every few games. In the end, I guarantee Small has pitched to more batters than Mangum has faced pitchers.

The only knock on Small is that he doesn't pitch enough innings. He usually goes 6 innings but has only gotten past 7 once or twice. Mostly that is due to his pitch count getting up due to so many strikeouts but that is about the only negative you can say on him.

Both are very deserving and I don't know how you choose. The only knock on Mangum is the lack of HRs and even then he is in the top 10 in Total Bases.

HooverDawg
05-14-2019, 02:15 PM

And Mangum is in centerfield for each of those batters Small or any pitcher is pitching against. I just think Mangum does more to affect the outcome of every game we win. No telling how many sensational defensive plays he has made this year outside of his .400 batting average and single season hits record he's on pace to shatter.

West Tn Dawg
05-14-2019, 03:34 PM

This all day long. And by no means is it a slight to Small.

The Federalist Engineer
05-14-2019, 04:04 PM
I vote Small

Small is having a great year, had a very good year last year, and his comeback from TJ is a great accomplishment

Jake has a Ferris and will be getting a statue at DNF, so he doesn't need another Ferris.

sleepy dawg
05-14-2019, 04:06 PM
And Mangum is in centerfield for each of those batters Small or any pitcher is pitching against. I just think Mangum does more to affect the outcome of every game we win. No telling how many sensational defensive plays he has made this year outside of his .400 batting average and single season hits record he's on pace to shatter.

I agree, but also think about what our starting rotation is without Small this season. There's no doubt Mangum has won us some games, but what's the difference in where we'd be as a team with the next guy up replacing each of them?

trojandawg
05-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Small has been pretty dominant. Jake is also having a fantastic year and got the hits record. I think i would give it to Ethan though.

dickiedawg
05-14-2019, 08:37 PM
It's Ethan.

Johnson85
05-15-2019, 10:41 AM
A few questions for anybody that follows enough college baseball to give an educated answer:

If you go back to the beginning of the year and are tasked with putting together a draft to create baseball teams from this years players, having the benefit of knowing what their production will be:
1) Do you pick Small or Mangum first?
2) How many pitchers would be before Small versus how many leadoff type hitters would be before Jake?
3) How much worse would you consider the next best option to Small and Mangum at their respective positions? (which for Jake I guess I mean more of a leadoff hitter and + defender, not necessarily a center fielder).

sleepy dawg
05-15-2019, 05:14 PM
A few questions for anybody that follows enough college baseball to give an educated answer:

If you go back to the beginning of the year and are tasked with putting together a draft to create baseball teams from this years players, having the benefit of knowing what their production will be:
1) Do you pick Small or Mangum first?
2) How many pitchers would be before Small versus how many leadoff type hitters would be before Jake?
3) How much worse would you consider the next best option to Small and Mangum at their respective positions? (which for Jake I guess I mean more of a leadoff hitter and + defender, not necessarily a center fielder).

If this is related to the original question, then the focus should be for a 1 year team only. Since future and past years production means nothing as far as this award goes.

That said, I have to think Small would be the number 1 pitcher off the board. Jake would be high, but probably not number 1 hitter, but probably number 1 leadoff hitter.

yjnkdawg
05-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Very difficult decision. As both are deserving of this coveted award, but I'm going with Small.

Johnson85
05-16-2019, 11:59 AM
If this is related to the original question, then the focus should be for a 1 year team only. Since future and past years production means nothing as far as this award goes.

That said, I have to think Small would be the number 1 pitcher off the board. Jake would be high, but probably not number 1 hitter, but probably number 1 leadoff hitter.

That's the intent yes. A team to compete just this year, based on this year's production.

If Small would go off the board as the first pitcher, and also would go before Jake overall, then it seems to me that he should be the winner.