PDA

View Full Version : Can Ole Miss get a coach better then Bianco?

Jack Lambert
05-12-2019, 09:19 AM
If State was in that situation I would want the coach gone. Just my opinion. We have had four different coaches in four years and have done better with all four.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2019, 09:29 AM
The only coach that I think of is Godwin at East Carolina. It would be interesting to see if they would spend the money to get someone really good or just try and get a great assistant coach.

drummerdawg
05-12-2019, 09:46 AM
The om fans I've talked to seem to think Dan McDonnell would come if the job came open. Not sure what that's all about.

BeastMan
05-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Easy one. Nope

Rick Danko
05-12-2019, 10:08 AM
The om fans I've talked to seem to think Dan McDonnell would come if the job came open. Not sure what that's all about.

Wait, so let me get this straight. They believe they can run the best coach they?ve ever had in baseball and arguably the second best coach they?ve had in their history of sports out of town on a rail, and hire a coach that probably has Bianco as one of his mentors away from a perennial national seed.... and they assume this based on what???

AlSwearengen
05-12-2019, 10:48 AM
They have been planning to hire McDonnell for more than 10 years now.

As far as olemiss, Bianco, and baseball, they recruit better than they probably deserve. Something must be wrong with their culture and the type of players that they get. Bianco seems like a coach that would have “tough” players, but their players don’t come across as that type as a whole.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-12-2019, 10:49 AM
.... and they assume this based on what???

You little devil...you know the answer to this. People would crawl on their hands and knees to get to that paradise.

WSOPdawg
05-12-2019, 11:24 AM
You little devil...you know the answer to this. People would crawl on their hands and knees to get to that paradise.

Agree Lumpy, because after all, it is the "ultimate" destination job in all of college baseball... and, and, and... the Grove.

TNDawg35
05-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Think about this....
LSU is getting toward the end of the rope with Minaeri(sp). What if they fired him and went after Bianco? Bianco is a dang good coach. He’s just in a tough spot to win. Yet, he has still won a lot for them.

msbulldog
05-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Think about this....
LSU is getting toward the end of the rope with Minaeri(sp). What if they fired him and went after Bianco? Bianco is a dang good coach. He’s just in a tough spot to win. Yet, he has still won a lot for them.

Serve them right for all their bad mouthing Bianco and that would be funny as hell.

TNDawg35
05-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Serve them right for all their bad mouthing Bianco and that would be funny as hell.

I think Bianco would kill it at LSU. He went there and played, his son is there now. He would kick OM in teeth every yr.

State82
05-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Think about this....

He would win there but the pressure would really ramp up in Red Stick. He just thinks that's a fickle bunch in Oxford.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Think about this....

LSU doesn't want a guy that chokes in postseason play. They wouldn't even show Bianco interest imo

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't think Ole Miss has the culture to grind it out.

Even if they got a better coach, which may or may not be possible, they'd have to change their culture to win big.

Texas currently has the same issue. The kids that are attracted to those two schools are typically soft & soft doesn't win in post season baseball.

It's that simple to me.

State82
05-12-2019, 12:14 PM
soft doesn't win in post season baseball.

You said it.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Even if they got a better coach, which may or may not be possible, they'd have to change their culture to win big.

Texas currently has the same issue. The kids that are attracted to those two schools are typically soft & soft doesn't win in post season baseball.

It's that simple to me.

We had kind of started getting that way under Polk at the end. It took Cohen a couple of years to get the gritty attitude back.

shoeless joe
05-12-2019, 02:21 PM

It's that simple to me.

On a somewhat related note...90% of their pitchers this year look just like a typical OM douche.

As far as Bianco goes, not only is he the best thing to happen to their program...he?s the only thing. If it wasn?t for him they wouldn?t have a single thing to think they should be proud about and they?d all pretend like baseball doesn?t matter. I have a ton of respect for the man. He is somewhat of the bobby cox of college baseball as he?s only had the one CWS appearance.

They may could go snag some hot name and make a one or two year run but I doubt anyone could come in and maintain the long term program success that he has.

KOdawg1
05-12-2019, 03:39 PM
They aren't getting McDonnell.

They don't have a winning culture. They breed p***ies up there.

Ari Gold
05-12-2019, 04:39 PM
unless McDonald and the AD there have a falling out he isn’t leaving.
Godwin is the logical choice unless East Carolina can match the money and he just wants to stay there . I have no clue what he makes now

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-12-2019, 04:53 PM
unless McDonald and the AD there have a falling out he isn?t leaving.
Godwin is the logical choice unless East Carolina can match the money and he just wants to stay there . I have no clue what he makes now

I hope someone snatches up Godwin before OM gets the chance. He?s a good coach and can be very successful with the right program. It?s not ironic that he was in his third year with OM when they went to Omaha. Left after that year and you see the results since. He?s an alum of ECU, but there are a lot of programs that can offer a lot more money.

Todd4State
05-12-2019, 05:01 PM
To answer the question about getting a better coach than Bianco- maybe but I doubt it and I doubt they will be any more satisfied.

Mississippi State IS THE BASEBALL SCHOOL in Mississippi whether they like it or not. We can get most of our guys that grew up fans of the team (unlike football- no idea what the hell the problem there is) AND we get most of the guys that are "undecided" or root for both teams growing up.

We just have a better program. Better coaches that can recruit and develop talent. Better facilities. We also have more MLB connections. Gautreau getting us in with Boras was an absolute game changer for our program and a lot of people don't realize it- see JT Ginn. That's the kind of connections that you have to have to get Vanderbilt/Florida/LSU talent. I think MSU has more fans that care about and are passionate about the program especially on a local level and I think that's what separates it. They can brag about gerrymandering their season tickets per average or whatever to outdo us- but the fact of the matter is they have never drawn anywhere close to 14K people for a game. When they went to Omaha they didn't come close to bringing as many fans as we do.

The truth of the matter is a big reason why their program is as good as it is at least in part is because of MSU baseball. Anyone else think that they would have beer showers and people in the outfield if MSU hadn't come up with the LFL? I doubt it. Anyone else think that they would care about it as much without MSU baseball being good at the sport? Probably not. Now that said- Bianco is also a big reason why they have the interest that they do. And I think a lot of their fans have lost sight of the fact that he was hired to get them to Omaha and he did. Their program was one of the worst in the SEC when he took over. Like their ceiling was 30 wins and a three seed with a Mayor's Trophy win was a dream season for them. They expect more now and they should- but that's because of Bianco. But the problem for them again is MSU is just better so "good" for them isn't good enough. I mean, they're not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination. They're probably at worst a 2 seed and still have an outside chance at hosting a regional with a good weekend against Tennessee so long as they don't slip up at Arkansas State. They would have killed for a season like this in 1998.

The other thing that they have to understand is that Bianco's best days were also in part because of MSU being down when Polk came back. We literally gave them a decade to build a program. I remember some of their fans telling me that we were a "dead program" at that time. And that's another part of the problem which is they think that the 2000's should be their norm and it's not. When Polk left we made a decision as a University to build the baseball program back up again and we've done that, and utilized our resources a lot better and have been more innovative and that's why we are where we are now. And it's not that Ole Miss has necessarily gone down that much- it's that we've passed them and built an even better program that's honestly probably the most healthy I have ever seen it in my fandom going back to the 80's. But they can't count on getting Stephen Head from under our nose anymore.

Now MSU has always for the most part had a rough and tumble get dirty attitude when playing baseball and we still have that- Mangum, Stovall, Tanner Allen, Rowdey, Skelton Cole Gordon, and etc. but now we are starting to add high end talent to it with guys like Ginn, Small, Westburg, Cumbest, Foscue, and etc. And yes, I think we started to get away from that under Polk II.

As far as Ole Miss's baseball recruiting- it has mostly been overrated. They had one really good class with a couple of legacies in Kessinger and Dillard who are probably the two biggest names in Ole Miss baseball and I think some of the national baseball reporter people got caught up in that baseball romance so to speak. Because hey, wouldn't it be great if they all went to Omaha. The reason why they got a lot of those guys through the draft is because a lot of them had question marks in their game most of which has persisted during their careers. It doesn't help them this year that their most talented recruit out of that class was a two year guy in Ryan Rolison and he's pitching for the Rockies minor league system now. Which is why this groups window has likely passed. If you look at our recruiting classes over a four year period we have out recruited them three of the four years. So, it's not that surprising that we have dominated them.

Todd4State
05-12-2019, 05:05 PM
I hope someone snatches up Godwin before OM gets the chance. He?s a good coach and can be very successful with the right program. It?s not ironic that he was in his third year with OM when they went to Omaha. Left after that year and you see the results since. He?s an alum of ECU, but there are a lot of programs that can offer a lot more money.

Don't forget that Godwin was an assistant at LSU too. It's very plausible that Manieri will be gone before Bianco. It's likely if Manieri repeats the season he had this year next year.

BuckyIsAB****
05-12-2019, 05:33 PM

It's that simple to me.

Probably your best post of all time.

dawgoneyall
05-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Burns made one of the best (if not the best) decisions in the history of MSU baseball....and it really did take some guts.

That saved us from another 5-10 years of mediocrity (we were just hoping to be average when Polk left) and another 5-10 years to catch up.

Madisonmd
05-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Burns made one of the best (if not the best) decisions in the history of MSU baseball....and it really did take some guts.

That saved us from another 5-10 years of mediocrity (we were just hoping to be average when Polk left) and another 5-10 years to catch up.

Right now it is really fun to read the Ole Miss message boards! They are jumping off cliffs.

shoeless joe
05-12-2019, 06:37 PM
To answer the question about getting a better coach than Bianco- maybe but I doubt it and I doubt they will be any more satisfied.

Mississippi State IS THE BASEBALL SCHOOL in Mississippi whether they like it or not. We can get most of our guys that grew up fans of the team (unlike football- no idea what the hell the problem there is) AND we get most of the guys that are "undecided" or root for both teams growing up.

We just have a better program. Better coaches that can recruit and develop talent. Better facilities. We also have more MLB connections. Gautreau getting us in with Boras was an absolute game changer for our program and a lot of people don't realize it- see JT Ginn. That's the kind of connections that you have to have to get Vanderbilt/Florida/LSU talent. I think MSU has more fans that care about and are passionate about the program especially on a local level and I think that's what separates it. They can brag about gerrymandering their season tickets per average or whatever to outdo us- but the fact of the matter is they have never drawn anywhere close to 14K people for a game. When they went to Omaha they didn't come close to bringing as many fans as we do.

The truth of the matter is a big reason why their program is as good as it is at least in part is because of MSU baseball. Anyone else think that they would have beer showers and people in the outfield if MSU hadn't come up with the LFL? I doubt it. Anyone else think that they would care about it as much without MSU baseball being good at the sport? Probably not. Now that said- Bianco is also a big reason why they have the interest that they do. And I think a lot of their fans have lost sight of the fact that he was hired to get them to Omaha and he did. Their program was one of the worst in the SEC when he took over. Like their ceiling was 30 wins and a three seed with a Mayor's Trophy win was a dream season for them. They expect more now and they should- but that's because of Bianco. But the problem for them again is MSU is just better so "good" for them isn't good enough. I mean, they're not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination. They're probably at worst a 2 seed and still have an outside chance at hosting a regional with a good weekend against Tennessee so long as they don't slip up at Arkansas State. They would have killed for a season like this in 1998.

The other thing that they have to understand is that Bianco's best days were also in part because of MSU being down when Polk came back. We literally gave them a decade to build a program. I remember some of their fans telling me that we were a "dead program" at that time. And that's another part of the problem which is they think that the 2000's should be their norm and it's not. When Polk left we made a decision as a University to build the baseball program back up again and we've done that, and utilized our resources a lot better and have been more innovative and that's why we are where we are now. And it's not that Ole Miss has necessarily gone down that much- it's that we've passed them and built an even better program that's honestly probably the most healthy I have ever seen it in my fandom going back to the 80's. But they can't count on getting Stephen Head from under our nose anymore.

Now MSU has always for the most part had a rough and tumble get dirty attitude when playing baseball and we still have that- Mangum, Stovall, Tanner Allen, Rowdey, Skelton Cole Gordon, and etc. but now we are starting to add high end talent to it with guys like Ginn, Small, Westburg, Cumbest, Foscue, and etc. And yes, I think we started to get away from that under Polk II.

As far as Ole Miss's baseball recruiting- it has mostly been overrated. They had one really good class with a couple of legacies in Kessinger and Dillard who are probably the two biggest names in Ole Miss baseball and I think some of the national baseball reporter people got caught up in that baseball romance so to speak. Because hey, wouldn't it be great if they all went to Omaha. The reason why they got a lot of those guys through the draft is because a lot of them had question marks in their game most of which has persisted during their careers. It doesn't help them this year that their most talented recruit out of that class was a two year guy in Ryan Rolison and he's pitching for the Rockies minor league system now. Which is why this groups window has likely passed. If you look at our recruiting classes over a four year period we have out recruited them three of the four years. So, it's not that surprising that we have dominated them.

Prolly your best post ever....

gravedigger
05-12-2019, 07:02 PM
If State was in that situation I would want the coach gone. Just my opinion. We have had four different coaches in four years and have done better with all four.

Yes. But NONE of them want Bjork to make the hire. They suffer from what a number of our fans suffer. Thinking the only path to success is some name brand coach.

I don?t think that?s in the cards for them. Older guys know competing with MSUs history and facilities and proximity to LSU is a pretty deep hole to dig out of.

They need their own Cohen or Lemonis.

With Bjork still there they are just praying Luke and Bianco don?t get extensions. Forget letting the clown pick a coach.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2019, 07:15 PM

It's that simple to me.

Excellent post

CadaverDawg
05-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Excellent post

BogeyGolfer
05-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Ole Miss has had a ton of talent wasted over the last two or three years, the team that they had last year should have been in the CWS. I think they need to take a shot at a young up and coming coach....I have no idea who that might be but to answer your question, yes, I think they can do better than Bianco....

timotheus
05-12-2019, 09:00 PM
If they actually want to do things the right way, then they need a young firey up and comer type. all their talent is 6'3" and 155 ibs and needs developing. clement just regurgitates other coaches material. And most of em are hoping that a new chancellor will fire bjork, luke and bianco. I say the only thing that happens is that a new chancellor is hired and the rest stays the same.

yjnkdawg
05-12-2019, 09:18 PM

I don't see McDonnell going to OM, if a HC vacancy occurred and he was number one on their short list, when he can stay where he is, pretty much get what he wants, and can establish his own legacy right there at the University of Louisville.

timotheus
05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Bianco is simply behind the curve are far as analytics and rapsodo etc. That to me is a sign that the game is kinda passing him by. And by this I mean that if Small was at Ole miss, he would not be nearly as good.

Commercecomet24
05-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Lot of great posts in this thread. So much truth, in all that's been said here. We are THE baseball school. They're wanna be's and pretenders. As many have said they don't have the culture there to compete at the highest level of baseball. They're soft and don't have the grind it out mentality it takes to win at a high level in baseball. We have a great mix of talent and dirt bag gamers in our program. We own them!

Randolph Dupree
05-13-2019, 11:39 AM

It's that simple to me.

This. You can look at their players vs ours and all the other top programs and see this. I think this is a reason why their teams often start strong but fade down the stretch. Baseball is a grind and you've got to be a dirt bag. It would be wiser for them to revamp their strength and conditioning program based on what I see.

If they fire Bianco I could see this turning into Cutcliff for baseball...which wouldn't hurt my feelings.

timotheus
05-13-2019, 03:57 PM
you are on to something there as far as the conditioning goes...

ScottH
05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Unless he's snatched up, it will be Godwin. He still has his house there and goes back somewhat frequently in the off season.

Biggest fly in the ointment is Lafferty, who be the other top candidate and they happen to be big buds.