PDA

View Full Version : my predict of the top national seed just got brighter according to D1..........

99jc
05-12-2019, 07:22 AM
1. Mississippi State wins another huge road series
Remember when Mississippi State got swept at Arkansas three weeks ago? Me neither. Since that rough weekend in Fayetteville, MSU has put together arguably the most impressive three-week stretch of any team in college baseball this season. The Bulldogs responded immediately after that sweep with a midweek win over Ole Miss, then swept Georgia emphatically at home, then went on the road and took two of three at Texas A&M. Now you can add a road series win at rival Ole Miss ? a team riding high after a huge road series win at LSU last weekend.

After winning Friday?s fog-dampened opener 2-0 behind Ethan Small, MSU clinched the series with a come-from-behind 8-5 victory on Saturday, erasing a 5-2 deficit with six runs in the seventh, highlighted by two-run singles by Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan. MSU is now 41-10 overall and 17-9 in the SEC, with a 22-10 record against the top 50 in the RPI (most top 50 wins in the country). In other words, MSU is right in the thick of the race for the No. 1 national seed.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2019, 07:54 AM
I can see it happening, but we probably need to sweep the rest of the season and get a little help from a Vandy, UCLA, and Arkansas. Those are the only 3 teams at this point that have a reasonable claim to be ahead of us.

We need Arkansas to lose the series to TAMU and us finish with at least a tie in the West with Arkansas.

Need Vandy to probably lose 2 games. Either one to Mizzou and one to Kentucky or mess up and lose the series to Kentucky.

Need UCLA to lose a weekend series to either Washington or Oregon (They still have 2 weekend series left after this weekend)

If all of that can happen I think we could get the #1 overall. Our SOS is 18 now and that's helping us. But Vandy and UCLA have legit claims to be ahead of us that they will only relinquish if they mess up I think.

But we've got a solid chance of finishing with 21 conference wins and a legit claim to be the #1 overall seed. We are gonna be right there and a win today will make that conversation very interesting.

Jarius
05-12-2019, 08:06 AM
We have never been the #1 overall seed. Can someone fill me in on the advantage? Do they seed the host teams 1-16 in order of how good they think each host team is (obviously the 8 national seeds play at home until Omaha) ? I would assume so, otherwise it does not mean much other than bragging rights.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2019, 08:50 AM
We have never been the #1 overall seed. Can someone fill me in on the advantage? Do they seed the host teams 1-16 in order of how good they think each host team is (obviously the 8 national seeds play at home until Omaha) ? I would assume so, otherwise it does not mean much other than bragging rights.

Yes. As the #1 seed you would pair with the #16 host. So conceivably the weakest host. But if you look before this weekend at projections, d1basebal had LSU as the #16. I'll be interested to see how the seeds end up this week. Those #11-#16 teams have had some struggles. Teams in the range of being matched up against us:

Stanford blown out yesterday 18-2 against Cal. Rubber match today.

Miami 2-0 against Wake Forest this weekend

Oklahoma State 1-1 this weekend against Oklahoma

North Carolina lost the series to a Pittsburgh team that has an RPI of 196

LSU lost the series to TAMU

OM looking at getting swept by us today

Oregon State is 2-0 this weekend against Oregon but they are 6-6 over their last 12 games.

So teams in there #10-#16 range are very wide open.

State82
05-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Yes, the top 16 are seeded.

Jarius
05-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys!

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Here’s my question... do we really want the pressure that comes along with a #1 seed? Or would we rather be at say a #3 or so and not have that bullseye on our back? We’re going to have to play the best all the way through if we want to be the last man standing anyway. I say let’s go in a little lower. After the series is over, nobody is going to remember who the 1 seed was anyway.

Political Hack
05-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Here’s my question... do we really want the pressure that comes along with a #1 seed? Or would we rather be at say a #3 or so and not have that bullseye on our back? We’re going to have to play the best all the way through if we want to be the last man standing anyway. I say let’s go in a little lower. After the series is over, nobody is going to remember who the 1 seed was anyway.

I don't think it matters once you're in the tournament. Pre-season #1 is too much pressure. Can't live up to that for an entire season, but being the #1 in post season just helps your schedule. Take it.

West Tn Dawg
05-12-2019, 11:04 AM
That would be our luck. We finally go in as a number 1 seed and get paired against LSU who seems to always have our number.

Todd4State
05-12-2019, 05:07 PM
That would be our luck. We finally go in as a number 1 seed and get paired against LSU who seems to always have our number.

I hope it happens. I want their ass.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
UCLA just fell below us in SOS. We are at 18 and they are at 19. Their series against Washington State really crushed their SOS.

I know a lot of folks value them ahead of us, but their resume doesn't seem as strong. They only have 15 Q1 wins. We have 23. We have ZERO, I repeat, ZERO, non Q1 losses. That's insane.

Sweep SC and I would beat we could move ahead of them.