PDA

View Full Version : RPI still at 3 going into Sunday's game

Todd4State
05-11-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm not expecting it to get higher unless UCLA or Vanderbilt crash. Doesn't matter since it's high enough to get a National Seed. SOS is now 18 with one more game against Ole Miss to go so it should continue to climb. We should finish somewhere between 15-20 probably.

If we win on Sunday I think we lock up a National Seed or come very close to doing so. Like we need to maybe win one against South Carolina to completely sew it up. Maybe. Tonight's win was huge because it does put us on that National Seed bubble and it puts us in good position to get a bye in the SEC Tournament. Winning on Sunday puts us one game back behind Arkansas in the SEC West race. I know there's the Rick Stansbury narrative about how that doesn't matter but I feel like it's more impressive in baseball with the unbalanced schedule that didn't exist in Stansbury's day. If you don't care about it- that's your deal. I like as many trophies as I can get- and just because you got a participation trophy in rec league it doesn't mean that you didn't kick ass in rec league.

Tonight's win means that we are going to finish with a winning record on the road. That's another good thing on our resume' when the committee looks at what we have done this year.

It's also a huge win because it gives us margin for error next week- things can happen in baseball. Especially in a one game setting.

La Tech is 51 in RPI with a double header tomorrow. I think this game will have little impact on us win or lose.

South Carolina is now up to 77 in RPI. They are one of the worst teams in the SEC but still a good team overall. We're going to have to play well to beat them.

Tomorrow is also big for Ole Miss. They're going to have to do some work to host a regional I think. If they lose to Arkansas State on the road that could be really bad for them. And then Tennessee on the road isn't easy this year especially since UT has a lot to play for as well.

USM lost to a bad Rice team but they're on the bubble as an at large. They may need to do well in Biloxi to get the automatic bid. I think they get an at large unless they play really poorly against UAB.

Jackson State needs to win the SWAC Tourney to get a bid.

Todd4State
05-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Also- IF Mizzou beats Vanderbilt tomorrow and they win the next weekend don't be surprised if they host a regional.

MarketingBully
05-12-2019, 12:51 AM
I think next weekend is for a regional host between Tennessee and Ole Miss if Tennessee can get by Florida tomorrow.

MarketingBully
05-12-2019, 01:00 AM
I’d start Brandon Smith on Tuesday against La Tech. He has enough of a pitch mix to be a starter. He has some great tools to work with.

Todd4State
05-12-2019, 02:15 AM
I think next weekend is for a regional host between Tennessee and Ole Miss if Tennessee can get by Florida tomorrow.

I can't see Tennessee hosting with a very likely losing SEC record despite their RPI being really high. I think they're going to have to win out including not slipping up against Tennessee Tech to have a chance. I would be surprised if Tennessee beat Florida and then swept Ole Miss.

Todd4State
05-12-2019, 02:17 AM
I’d start Brandon Smith on Tuesday against La Tech. He has enough of a pitch mix to be a starter. He has some great tools to work with.

Honestly, I'd have to guess that he is the favorite right now. He has simply been more consistent than Keegan or Cerentola. Tyler Spring is someone I would consider also but the staff doesn't trust him apparently for some reason despite performing in every game except one and basically winning the Samford game.

99jc
05-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Honestly, I'd have to guess that he is the favorite right now. He has simply been more consistent than Keegan or Cerentola. Tyler Spring is someone I would consider also but the staff doesn't trust him apparently for some reason despite performing in every game except one and basically winning the Samford game.

I bet you James starts against LA Tech. Lemonis still believes in him. We need to drop Macnamee down in the batting order he is my biggest concern. And damn it Westburg they start you off with a breaking ball 1st pitch every at bat hit the Mother 17er. HAil STATE!

Mjoelner34
05-12-2019, 08:26 AM
I bet you James starts against LA Tech. Lemonis still believes in him. We need to drop Macnamee down in the batting order he is my biggest concern. And damn it Westburg they start you off with a breaking ball 1st pitch every at bat hit the Mother 17er. HAil STATE!

If we start James against La Tech, we better have two people up in the bullpen before the first pitch. Every year's ERA higher than the last and every start this year worse than the last. The experiment should be over by now.

Homedawg
05-12-2019, 09:11 AM

UT has zero chance of hosting wo winning out and the sec tourney. They aren't even comfortably in the ncaa field yet w the sec record they have.

Rick Danko
05-12-2019, 09:30 AM
I have wondered this question and may have asked it before, but I continue to see people who probably know more about baseball than me say we are on the national seed bubble, or this weekend MAY lock it up. I?m seriously wondering, who are the other teams that have a shot over us at this point. I think right now we are a lock as the 4, if we lose 3 of next 4 we may would drop to 8. But who are the nationals as of today, UCLA, Vandy, Ark, Louisville, I assume these are locks. Now find me 4 other teams with better resumes than we have. I don?t see it, but again, many know more about baseball than me.

HooverDawg
05-12-2019, 10:46 AM
We’re not on the national seed bubble. We’re securely a top 8 national seed. Top half of the top 8.