PDA

View Full Version : Should The Game Delay Right?

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2019, 12:34 AM
Don't let an easy win distract us from this.

You decide:

https://i.imgur.com/Syd6x0I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yB9OjJc.jpg

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2019, 12:37 AM
I think the pictures clearly show that unless they changed something with the cameras, the fog did clear up during the break to some degree.

I think the better debate here isn't if the game should've been delayed but what should be protocol? Should OM have had to bat before the game could be delayed or was there some sort of safety issue that made it pertinent to the delay the game immediately?

Although it didn't matter, the result clearly gave OM an advantage since their starting pitcher got to throw 6 innings & ours only 5

Todd4State
05-11-2019, 01:19 AM
The real question here is would there have been a delay if Ole Miss was up 2-0?

yjnkdawg
05-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Nothing was changed with the TV cameras. If that were possible, it would have been done earlier in the game. The fog was actually worse than the TV cameras indicated it to be. The TV cameras are really a moot point because players don't see the field through the camera lenses. The thirty minute delay was a visibility safety issue for the players, and to be re-evaluated after that time to see if it was a safe and playable environment for the players. The fog cleared up more so, closer to ground level, after the 30 minute delay, The umpire crew was in contact with the SEC Office in Birmingham, concerning making that delay call. No it was not fair to us, and especially Ethan, but it was made for a visibility safety reason.

yjnkdawg
05-11-2019, 01:21 AM
The real question here is would there have been a delay if Ole Miss was up 2-0?

OM didn't make that delay call. I didn't see Lemonis acting really upset over the delay. Although I know he would have loved for the game to continue with Ethan on the mound. It was a visibility safety issue.

biggun
05-11-2019, 01:32 AM
I think the pictures clearly show that unless they changed something with the cameras, the fog did clear up during the break to some degree.

I think the better debate here isn't if the game should've been delayed but what should be protocol? Should OM have had to bat before the game could be delayed or was there some sort of safety issue that made it pertinent to the delay the game immediately?

Although it didn't matter, the result clearly gave OM an advantage since their starting pitcher got to throw 6 innings & ours only 5

Amen! You nailed it!

deadheaddawg
05-11-2019, 02:18 AM
I guess I'm missing something, so can someone explain.

Why would the sec office want to intentionally make it more difficult to win? Wouldn't they want as many top 8 national seeds as possible?

We are not a lock for a national seed. Why shoot the conference in the foot? National seeds have a big advantage in getting to Omaha. Wouldn't the SEC want as many there as they can?

Also with our dedication to baseball, from facilities to atmosphere, wouldn't our success be a good thing for the SEC?

I understand ole miss hosting would be beneficial too, but what would the league rather have. Us with a top 8 and a real shot at the CWS or Ole Miss hosting and probably losing?

It doesn't make any sense that they would be out to get us

shoeless joe
05-11-2019, 07:42 AM
I?m gonna guess that the fog made it harder for the defense than it did for the batter.

No doubt a delay while our pitcher is cruising helps the other team but I don?t see this as a bad call.

basedog
05-11-2019, 07:46 AM
It's all speculation, actually it was bad timing but no way do I think OM had anything to do with the delay. I also thought the ump crew wanted to do the right thing as I also see no reason why the Sec would cheat on this outcome.

"That's Baseball"

Btw, for you young guys, back in the mid 80's or so we played Georgia at home, it was way more foggy than this game. You couldn't hardly see the outfielders. We stomped Georgia that night, seems I recall one of their outfielders lost sight of a fly ball. Wanna say we scored 20 runs, Georgia was really bad that year.

yjnkdawg
05-11-2019, 08:12 AM
I guess I'm missing something, so can someone explain.

Why would the sec office want to intentionally make it more difficult to win? Wouldn't they want as many top 8 national seeds as possible?

We are not a lock for a national seed. Why shoot the conference in the foot? National seeds have a big advantage in getting to Omaha. Wouldn't the SEC want as many there as they can?

Also with our dedication to baseball, from facilities to atmosphere, wouldn't our success be a good thing for the SEC?

I understand ole miss hosting would be beneficial too, but what would the league rather have. Us with a top 8 and a real shot at the CWS or Ole Miss hosting and probably losing?

It doesn't make any sense that they would be out to get us

They weren't. It was not an SEC conspiracy against us. Anybody who thinks that is way out of touch with reality. Yeah, OM wanted a delay ( they wanted Ethan out of the game), but it didn't factor into the decision It was a visibility safety issue decision when it was no longer viewed by the ones who have the power to make the call (not OM) as it being a playable safe environment for all the players Just another one of those what if threads created , with a lot of vivid imaginative questions, or whatever.

yjnkdawg
05-11-2019, 08:19 AM
I?m gonna guess that the fog made it harder for the defense than it did for the batter.

No doubt a delay while our pitcher is cruising helps the other team but I don?t see this as a bad call.

Yep, you got it. Any ball hit to the outfield , or a popup in the infield, as the fog was thick to see through at ground level but thicker to see above ground level.

Cooterpoot
05-11-2019, 08:20 AM
It was poorly handled by the SEC. Should've been stopped prior to the inning starting. That was the mistake. By the way, no balls were misplayed in the fog, and the fog never got worse.

msstate7
05-11-2019, 08:23 AM
No idea if the delay was called for or not, but we got a win and got our stud out without extending him, win win

State82
05-11-2019, 08:38 AM
No idea if the delay was called for or not, but we got a win and got our stud out without extending him, win win

Speaking of this, Liebelt only faced 4 less batters than Small in 1 less inning (13 as compared to Small's 17) but threw less than half the number of pitches (40 as compared to Small's 82). All those K's really run the pitch count up.

West Tn Dawg
05-11-2019, 08:58 AM
They weren't. It was not an SEC conspiracy against us. Anybody who thinks that is way out of touch with reality. Yeah, OM wanted a delay ( they wanted Ethan out of the game), but it didn't factor into the decision It was a visibility safety issue decision when it was no longer viewed by the ones who have the power to make the call (not OM) as it being a playable safe environment for all the players Just another one of those what if threads created , with a lot of vivid imaginative questions, or whatever.

If they only knew the storm that would follow! Replaced smoke with smoke!

Bdawg
05-11-2019, 09:12 AM
I don't know why coaches and umpires can't handle the problem right there on the field. Get out there and discuss it and decide what's fair or safe for players. Talk to the outfielders to see if they can see well enough to play. Why does SEC office need to get involved? I'm sure in person the fog wasn't nearly as bad as what it looked like through the camera.

Dawgbite
05-11-2019, 09:29 AM
If it was going to be delayed it should have been done between innings, not in the middle of the inning. OM should have batted in the sixth and then called the delay. The fog wasn’t like a sudden thunderstorm that required an immediate decision.