PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Carre Spillway Opening Again!!

BeastMan
05-10-2019, 10:08 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wdsu.com/amp/article/corps-to-announce-repeat-opening-of-bonnet-carre-spillway/27416892

Bad news for inshore fisherman from the NorthShore to Long Beach. If you want trout you?re really going to have to log some miles to find the right water. This thing opening every few years is one thing but twice in 1 year is devastating. Oyster and crab seasons are screwed and dolphins are dying left and right.

natchezdawg
05-10-2019, 11:37 AM
a dozen times since the 1930's, but I don't get the protest over it (like from the LP Basis Foundation). It sucks for the fisherman down there, but when the spillway is open, the river is ultimately doing what it would do naturally if the levee system and spillway were not there in the first place.

BeastMan
05-10-2019, 12:05 PM
a dozen times since the 1930's, but I don't get the protest over it (like from the LP Basis Foundation). It sucks for the fisherman down there, but when the spillway is open, the river is ultimately doing what it would do naturally if the levee system and spillway were not there in the first place.

Naw not really. The MS River is so far from what nature intended with all the stuff we’ve built so ain’t really nothing natural in this situation. And actually, it’s not terrible for fisherman. Just gotta change tactics. But it kills the seafood industry. And we’re talking brackish estuaries that go from 15 parts per million saltwater to fresh overnight. That shock is killing all kinds of stuff including dolphins. The damn is there to help Nola and it does that but the consequences of regular opening are pretty big.

BeastMan
05-10-2019, 12:36 PM
And to add, you can’t just let Nola flood. I totally get that. There is just an environmental cost.

AROB44
05-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Well....we could just let the river do what it wants and change course. Of course Baton Rouge and NOLA would be high and dry.

redstickdawg
05-13-2019, 01:41 PM

If the levee (and it's opening the BC spillway) were not there the spillway would flow everytime the river got a little high. We have created an artificially brackish system that should vary between brackish and fresh in the yearly cycle of the river.