PDA

View Full Version : What Will Be The Most Unexpected, POSITIVE Development During Football Season?

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Thought I'd balance this out with a positive discussion.

I think Joe goes into the lab this off season & fixes the offense.

His entire track record as a coach is built on figuring it out & going into this season he knows his personnel.

I think at Penn State, he got lucky & walked into an offense that already had the personnel he needed to do exactly what he wanted to do on offense whereas I don't think that was the case with us last year. I think he was caught off guard last year by our offense's limitations.

That's my guess is that this Fall things will start clicking on offense & we'll look much more prepared.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 10:17 AM
I think Guidry is going to have a all SEC season. He can run and he will not be having artillery rounds thrown at him this season. I have been re watching all 2018 season and that dude could be a great getting the right QB.

KOdawg1
05-09-2019, 10:18 AM
For me, I think the defense doesn't take as far a step back as everyone thinks. Obviously we have depth concerns on the DL, but I think the young talent mixed in with the fantastic LB group we have will balance things out.

That's my positive post of the day. Fire Moorhead**

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:19 AM
I think Guidry is going to have a all SEC season. I have been re watching all 2018 season and that dude could be a giant.

If only he could catch I would agree.

He's legit until the ball hits his hands. I've never seen guys get significantly better at catching the football. IMO, you either have good hands or you don't.

I hope your right though

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 10:20 AM
For me, I think the defense doesn't take as far a step back as everyone thinks. Obviously we have depth concerns on the DL, but I think the young talent mixed in with the fantastic LB group we have will balance things out.

I have said it many times. Our defense is going to be good. The fact that our DC didn't go looking for another DC job tells me he knows he has some special guys coming back.

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:20 AM
I have said it many times. Our defense is going to be good. The fact that our DC didn't go looking for another DC job tells me he knows he has some special guys coming back.

Good point

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 10:22 AM

He's legit until the ball hits his hands. I've never seen guys get significantly better at catching the football. IMO, you either have good hands or you don't.

I hope your right though

That's my point about the Artillery round. I have watched last season and when Fitz put the right touch on the ball and not thrown it 200 miles a hour he had really good hands.

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:23 AM
That's my point about the Artillery round. I have watched last season and when Fitz put the right touch on the ball and not thrown it 200 miles a hour he had really good hands.

A more catchable ball is certainly the wild card here

CadaverDawg
05-09-2019, 10:24 AM
I hope we get the tight ends and running backs super involved, because we quietly have some serious talent at those two positions. Granted, RB isn't deep, but Kylin and Nick are studs. And if our QB's aren't great passers, and our WR's can't catch well... it makes a lot of sense to feed the RB's on the ground, and to use RB's and TE's in the flat for higher percentage throws with more yards after the catch. Could be big positives if utilized imo

RiverCityDawg

I hope your right though

Unless he gets contacts like Justin Jenkins. Might be time to break out the Snellen chart.

Gutter Cobreh
You are the greatest troll that ED has ever seen... There is simply no other explanation, outside of a chemical imbalance...

Last night you had made your mind up that this staff sucks...
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?74314-My-Thoughts-On-the-Current-Status-of-Our-Football-Program/page8

While also saying Jo "ain't" got it...
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?74314-My-Thoughts-On-the-Current-Status-of-Our-Football-Program/page8

Now you want to come in and say that you think this fall things will start clicking. GTFO with your nonsense. Pick a side a stick to it.

MetEdDawg
05-09-2019, 10:26 AM
I think the defense surprises people. We will not be as deep, but our starting 11 are going to be really good again.

I think Kylin Hill shows out and becomes our highest drafted RB since Norwood

I think our offense does exceedingly better because I feel that the QB position will make better decisions. Make not execute higher, but making better decisions will make the offense move better

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:27 AM
You are the greatest troll that ED has ever seen... There is simply no other explanation, outside of a chemical imbalance...

Now you want to come in and say that you think this fall things will start clicking. GTFO with your nonsense. Pick a side a stick to it.

I can't believe your not banned yet. You never debate, you just attack

KOdawg1
05-09-2019, 10:27 AM

And another thread is officially ruined. Why does he have to "pick a side?" It's possible to see good and bad things about our program and talk about them

BrunswickDawg
05-09-2019, 10:33 AM

I think we will shock a lot of people with that too. Traditionally, Defense is where our bread has been buttered - and the right DC's have taken advantage of that. Shoop is a great fit for us and I hope he sticks a while.

I'm going to say this - today, I believe we beat Auburn and A&M on the road. Until either team shows more then they had last year, I will believe we are better then them right now. I reserve the right to change that right up until those game weeks. And I also believe that all but the Bama game are winnable games at this point. We have as good of a shot at 8 wins or more as we have had the past 2 years. And that is why we play the games.

KOdawg1
05-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Also another note on the defense. This will be the first year in awhile that we have a returning DC. Having that continuity will go a long way.

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:39 AM
We will have a top 3 LB unit in the league. The defense will have 4 players at least drafted off of it again. The OL will be just as good if not better than a year ago. Spivey will become a weapon in the offense and Kylin Hill will get 1000 yards if he gets enough touches

Gutter Cobreh
05-09-2019, 10:44 AM
I can't believe your not banned yet. You never debate, you just attack

I'm not attacking you. I'm simply providing you with what you stated last night. Do you not understand why it is confusing for some when you state that you're done with the coach and he can't turn it around - only to come back 12 hours later and start a thread that says you're convinced he'll turn it around?

Two simple questions (one is a two-part question) so that we can have a discussion:

What changed over the last 12 hours that gave you a change of heart?

How often do you change your mind on the trajectory of a team when they aren't playing? Do you think differently from day to day even though they aren't playing or practicing right now?

Gutter Cobreh
05-09-2019, 10:49 AM
And another thread is officially ruined. Why does he have to "pick a side?" It's possible to see good and bad things about our program and talk about them

You're correct, but when the subject stays the same (i.e. the coach and his abilities) - a rational person doesn't go from negative to positive in a manner of 12 hours when the only "new" news is that two commits decommitted.

Had he started a thread about the positive of the team itself, I'd agree with you as there are positives and negatives to debate along the lines of athleticism, position groups, position battles, etc.. That wasn't the subject though in the OP. It was about being positive towards the coach turning it around, after bitching last night about how he had no faith in his abilities.

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:55 AM
I'm not attacking you. I'm simply providing you with what you stated last night. Do you not understand why it is confusing for some when you state that you're done with the coach and he can't turn it around - only to come back 12 hours later and start a thread that says you're convinced he'll turn it around?

Two simple questions (one is a two-part question) so that we can have a discussion:

What changed over the last 12 hours that gave you a change of heart?

How often do you change your mind on the trajectory of a team when they aren't playing? Do you think differently from day to day even though they aren't playing or practicing right now?

Dude, I'm just facilitating discussion not trying to solve world poverty here.

You take these discussions way more seriously than I do. I just enjoy the discussion.

Sure, I'm a fan & attempt to see things from both sides with MSU. It's true. I'm a waffler. Sorry

What changed over the last 12 hours that gave you a change of heart? Nothing. I'm just trying to see things from a glass half full perspective to balance things out.

How often do you change your mind on the trajectory of a team when they aren't playing? Do you think differently from day to day even though they aren't playing or practicing right now? I'm emotional about MSU sports. So yes, I change my mind often. Sorry

IMO the discussions are actually really fun when people aren't ass holes & instead just discuss the topic. If someone had all this figured out, then MSU would be in the national title race every year & there would be no need for discussion.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 10:57 AM
A more catchable ball is certainly the wild card here

It was impossible this past season but Guidry could have benefited from a red shirt year. He was good in JUCO but many of them need a year to adjust to P5 speed.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 10:59 AM
We will have a top 3 LB unit in the league. The defense will have 4 players at least drafted off of it again. The OL will be just as good if not better than a year ago. Spivey will become a weapon in the offense and Kylin Hill will get 1000 yards if he gets enough touches

Re watching the games and I really paid attention to Gibson when he was in the game and that guy can be a bruiser when we need him. He will be a impact player off the bench.

R2Dawg
05-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Agree. That back 7 is going to be pretty salty. While there will be a dropoff up front, we'll still be competitive.

RezDog7
05-09-2019, 12:13 PM

His entire track record as a coach is built on figuring it out & going into this season he knows his personnel.

I think at Penn State, he got lucky & walked into an offense that already had the personnel he needed to do exactly what he wanted to do on offense whereas I don't think that was the case with us last year. I think he was caught off guard last year by our offense's limitations.

That's my guess is that this Fall things will start clicking on offense & we'll look much more prepared.

You no longer posting on any MSU message board.

thf24
05-09-2019, 12:19 PM
I hope we get the tight ends and running backs super involved, because we quietly have some serious talent at those two positions. Granted, RB isn't deep, but Kylin and Nick are studs. And if our QB's aren't great passers, and our WR's can't catch well... it makes a lot of sense to feed the RB's on the ground, and to use RB's and TE's in the flat for higher percentage throws with more yards after the catch. Could be big positives if utilized imo

I think we'll definitely see both if whoever ends up playing QB for us has their head around the offense better than Fitz did. We know Fitz kept the ball way too much, which explains the light RB touches, and that he had trouble getting through progressions, which explains the poor TE usage since the TE is typically later in any given progression.

Gutter Cobreh
05-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Dude, I'm just facilitating discussion not trying to solve world poverty here.

You take these discussions way more seriously than I do. I just enjoy the discussion.

Sure, I'm a fan & attempt to see things from both sides with MSU. It's true. I'm a waffler. Sorry

What changed over the last 12 hours that gave you a change of heart? Nothing. I'm just trying to see things from a glass half full perspective to balance things out.

How often do you change your mind on the trajectory of a team when they aren't playing? Do you think differently from day to day even though they aren't playing or practicing right now? I'm emotional about MSU sports. So yes, I change my mind often. Sorry

IMO the discussions are actually really fun when people aren't ass holes & instead just discuss the topic. If someone had all this figured out, then MSU would be in the national title race every year & there would be no need for discussion.

Thanks for answering my questions. I actually enjoy the discussions and reading the threads on this site; otherwise I wouldn't check it. I don't comment in most of them because I would rather read and absorb both sides.

It is hard to have a discussion though when someone seems to drift whichever way the wind is blowing. Now that I know you view yourself as a facilitator of discussion, then please carry on because based on your threads you are pretty good at it.

Political Hack
05-09-2019, 01:39 PM
KT is going to win games, just like he did in high school and against the former Heisman trophy winner.

gravedigger
05-09-2019, 01:49 PM

I think we see enough more pass plays that score from 40 plus yards that we think Joe made an adjustment. But the truth will be that the light comes on in our qb and wr heads. The running game will be less grinding and more explosive too.

At Penn State, Barkley changed everything. McSorely was all Joe?s creation. What made them so deadly was the number of different targets and the speed at which Trace distributed the ball. He rarely took more than a couple of seconds to get rid of it which forced defenses to pull back or get burned. When they did get caught in a blitz, Barkley made them pay.

This year my focus will be on how many big plays our Defense can produce. Can our linebackers help contain the ends and cover underneath? Tall task.

Jarius
05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Stevens is going to be a pleasant surprise. The OL is going to be really good. Kylin Hill has a monster year. We are going to be borderline elite on defense. 8 wins.

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Our defense will be good and could be great if we have someone step up at DT. We pretty much have 4 star talent there so it is just a little young and who steps up. Dline won't have the depth but could still be top 20 level quality.

TEs could be one of the best groups of TEs we have had in a while. Green, Jones, Spivey, and Cumbest are a really talented group. Hopefully we have a QB that can get them the ball.

It all boils down to if the QB can distribute the ball the way Joe wants him to. Fitz never fully grasped that side of things.

tcdog70
05-09-2019, 04:15 PM
It was impossible this past season but Guidry could have benefited from a red shirt year. He was good in JUCO but many of them need a year to adjust to P5 speed.

but he wasn't that good in JUCO. and He hasn't been good at MSU and he will be maybe average this year.

Goldendawg
05-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Complete 20 or more passes in an SEC game with only 2 drops for over 300 yds and have a WR named All-SEC???

deadheaddawg
05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Since you said football season, I assume all of football is open.

Bama takes an additional step back. Misses the playoffs.

The pressure of Florida starts to show on Mullen by the end of the year. He throws one of his classic hissy fits in an press conference

Our defense stays very very good.

We recongnize and celebrate our baseball team's upcoming national championship during one of our home games

Jack Lambert
05-09-2019, 08:04 PM
but he wasn't that good in JUCO. and He hasn't been good at MSU and he will be maybe average this year.

Apparently you did not read the title of the thread. Go to one of the three negative threads.

Cowbell
05-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Some of the posters on this board will have to eat crow when Moorehead hangs half a hundred on a team with a pulse.

msstate7
05-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Some of the posters on this board will have to eat crow when Moorehead hangs half a hundred on a team with a pulse.

Which team you predicting that to happen on?

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 09:31 PM

It would have to be a game at home. The only teams that have put up 50 on a decent team is Bama last year and LSU on us a few years ago when they had OBJ and Landry.

BrunswickDawg
05-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Just for fun, I’m going to say Jimbo’s Sleeping Giants

R2Dawg
05-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Since you said football season, I assume all of football is open.

Bama takes an additional step back. Misses the playoffs.

The pressure of Florida starts to show on Mullen by the end of the year. He throws one of his classic hissy fits in an press conference

Our defense stays very very good.

We recongnize and celebrate our baseball team's upcoming national championship during one of our home games

I agree on all your football comments. Nice baseball look; it can happen and that would be a nice positive spin on football season.

msstate7
05-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Just for fun, I’m going to say Jimbo’s Sleeping Giants

We'll see. Not sure if you want that so bad to throw in my face that you've actually convinced yourself it will or what, but aTm is a better team than us entering 2019 though.

defiantdog
05-09-2019, 10:09 PM
We'll see. Not sure if you want that so bad to throw in my face that you've actually convinced yourself it will or what, but aTm is a better team than us entering 2019 though.

Without a doubt..... A&M has the tools to contend in the West this year.

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Without a doubt..... A&M has the tools to contend in the West this year.

No they don't.

They aren't close to Bama. No one is except UGA & they have to play perfect

Bama will beat A&M 42-24 this year

Goldendawg
05-09-2019, 10:19 PM
If we can put 50 on an SEC team "with a pulse", (has to be AU, LSU, aTm, or even that powerhouse KY, who we have beaten 9 of the last 10 years, I think), in 2019, I move my floor to 9 and my regular season wins to 10, without the benefit of the dreaded maroon colored glasses and my irrational view of all things MSU football. Hail State!

defiantdog
05-09-2019, 10:21 PM
No they don't.

They aren't close to Bama. No one is except UGA & they have to play perfect

Bama will beat A&M 42-24 this year

It'll be a good game..... they are the second best team in the West.

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:24 PM

Based on what? Nothing on the field. You could say they finished better than we did but thats about it. Me and you have had arguments before about them. I will say this, it will be tough to win there but it is definitely doable. They are a paper tiger

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Moorhead beat them. You cant shit on Moorhead and still say this at the same time.

msstate7
05-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Moorhead beat them. You cant shit on Moorhead and still say this at the same time.

Croom beat saban. Is croom better than saban?

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Thats a pretty stupid question that you already know the answer to...

msstate7
05-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Thats a pretty stupid question that you already know the answer to...

It's almost like a 1-game sample really doesn't say much

defiantdog
05-09-2019, 10:33 PM

I didn't shit on Moorhead

Goldendawg
05-09-2019, 10:34 PM

More exciting offense.***

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:34 PM
It's almost like a 1-game sample really doesn't say much

Yeah. If we lost it Moorhead would be destroyed over that one too and people on here would say A&M wasnt even that good

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:35 PM
I didn't shit on Moorhead

Wasnt directing that at you I was just saying

Cowbell
05-09-2019, 11:18 PM

I, like you, don?t have psychic powers to predict such. But I do believe we will have a major offensive breakthrough against a good team next year. The Who is all about when it all comes together.

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 11:25 PM

I bet they finish 3rd

Jarius
05-10-2019, 12:34 AM

Lol. Alabama will beat that team to sleep.

BrunswickDawg
05-10-2019, 06:40 AM

https://i.redd.it/lad39615foq11.jpg

I don't troll often, but when I do, I'm glad to see it's effective.

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2019, 08:11 AM

That year 5 other coaches also beat Saban but it was his first year and he was changing things. A lot of coaches take a year to get their program started so hopefully Moorhead improves in his 2nd year like a lot of coaches.

TrapGame
05-10-2019, 09:17 AM
That year 5 other coaches also beat Saban but it was his first year and he was changing things. A lot of coaches take a year to get their program started so hopefully Moorhead improves in his 2nd year like a lot of coaches.

And Saban was using Shula's craptastic recruits.

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2019, 10:45 AM

And turned around the next year with those same CRAPTASTIC recruits and won 12 games and went to the Sugar Bowl. Maybe I have it wrong, did Saban somehow recruit an entire 2 deep and play them all as freshmen?

msstate7
05-10-2019, 10:50 AM
And turned around the next year with those same CRAPTASTIC recruits and won 12 games and went to the Sugar Bowl. Maybe I have it wrong, did Saban somehow recruit an entire 2 deep and play them all as freshmen?

You left out the part about the #1 recruiting class in the sec that included Julio Jones, barron, upshaw, Ingram, Barrett Jones, dareus, square, Hightower, and Terrance Cody. It was one of the best recruiting classes the sec has seen

BrunswickDawg
05-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Craptastic LOL - Classes ranked 21, 16, 13, 12 made up that first Saban team. We had a team made up of 56, 28, 40 & 34.
They may be below Bama standard, but craptastic for Bama ranks higher anything we approach.

msstate7
05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Craptastic LOL - Classes ranked 21, 16, 13, 12 made up that first Saban team. We had a team made up of 56, 28, 40 & 34.
They may be below Bama standard, but craptastic for Bama ranks higher anything we approach.

Alabama drafts:
2008 - no selections (1st year for saban)
2009 - 1 1st, 3 3rd

We had more drafted in first 2 rounds than saban did his first 2 years

TrapGame
05-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Alabama drafts:
2008 - no selections (1st year for saban)
2009 - 1 1st, 3 3rd

We had more drafted in first 2 rounds than saban did his first 2 years

Yeah, they were craptastic.

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2019, 11:35 AM
You left out the part about the #1 recruiting class in the sec that included Julio Jones, barron, upshaw, Ingram, Barrett Jones, dareus, square, Hightower, and Terrance Cody. It was one of the best recruiting classes the sec has seen

I am just going to be lazy and assume that Bama's entire starting lineup was not made up of all freshmen. I am also going to assume that Saban played some Juniors and Seniors and those guys were pretty good.