PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Thoughts

Todd4State
05-08-2019, 11:25 PM
This game was a roller coaster where I think we did some good things (bullpen, slumping hitters busting out), and some bad things (Hi Keegan!).

While there was both good and bad there was I think more good. I think it says a lot about this team that they were able to get into a hole in the first inning and then come back on them. Twice. We could have very easily lost our approach at the plate and tried to hit seven run home runs and we may have done that earlier in the year. Tonight we did not. We chipped away and got the lead. And then after a bad call after two walks we give the lead back....and then came back again where one of our slumping hitters ripped a double to give us the winning hit.

Keegan should not pitch again this year. That's extreme but his performance tonight was simply not competitive and he lacks confidence right now. He is Vance Tatum 2.0. That's bad because we need to find a fourth starter. But it's obvious it's not him and they need to try something else next week against La Tech. We can get what we got out of Keegan from Cerentola and at least that maybe gives him some experience. Maybe we should try Tyler Spring. Maybe we should go with Brandon Smith and use him as an opener after all he did keep Memphis mostly at bay for three innings and like Cerentola I don't think the experience of starting would be a bad thing for him. Not having a fourth starter is our biggest weakness right now and hopefully won't bite us in the ass in the regionals.

But the bullpen was really good. Smith as I said kept them at bay for a couple of innings and Self had a nice comeback. Eagan pitched very well and probably should be used more. Barlow was up and down. And then Cole Gordon looked like he did in February. I would have liked to have seen Colby White get into the game but I totally understand leaving Gordon in with a game in the balance and him looking good.

I thought having Hancock catch tonight was a good move for the future and also to rest Skelton. Skelton still got a couple of AB's and got a hit. Tanner Allen looked much better tonight and he is now back over .300. Foscue chipped in a hit. Gilbert's home run was huge in this game because it got us back in it. Westburg is struggling and I don't like bunting him. Or any power hitter that is struggling. There is a reason why MLB teams don't have guys like Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger bunt when they are struggling and it's because they don't do it a lot and it usually ends up like- well Westburg's bunt.

Jake was Jake. He basically stole a run for us that gave us the lead and that turned out to be big because it caused us to only have a one run deficit and it also meant that we didn't have to play extra innings. Good to see MacNamee back! I have a feeling that he is healthy now. Rowdey didn't do a lot good or bad tonight.

I liked seeing Lemonis get into it with the umpire after the bad call on the double steal. I don't need to see a show or an ejection- but sometimes umpires need things pointed out from time to time.

We have another huge series on the road at Ole Miss and they are a good team this year. Their pitching has gotten better and now they have a chance to host a regional. It will be tough because I know that they are going to want to beat us even more after we have won the last three series and last four Governor's Cups. We're going to give them everything we've got too. A lot of postseason implications for both teams in this one.

#HailState

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 11:31 PM
What is the weather looking like to be able to get all three games in?

Todd4State
05-09-2019, 12:07 AM
What is the weather looking like to be able to get all three games in?

No idea. That's not my arena. But I will say that after what seems like weather issues every single week we seem to find a way to get all the games in somehow except for Nebraska. If I had to guess we will find a way to get them all in again.

So I'm not too worried about the weather even though Ole Miss's outfield turns into Grenada Lake with rain.

DancingRabbit
05-09-2019, 12:54 AM
It will be tough because I know that they are going to want to beat us even more after we have won the last three series and last four Governor's Cups.

Damn, that's 3 different coaches, right? Two constants though, Bianco and Mangum.

Todd4State
05-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Damn, that's 3 different coaches, right? Two constants though, Bianco and Mangum.

Well, four if you count this year's Governor's Cup which Lemonis won.

It is pretty crazy though that we have had so much turnover and at the same time continued to have success.

Activated Alpha
05-09-2019, 01:31 AM
This game was a roller coaster where I think we did some good things (bullpen, slumping hitters busting out), and some bad things (Hi Keegan!).

While there was both good and bad there was I think more good. I think it says a lot about this team that they were able to get into a hole in the first inning and then come back on them. Twice. We could have very easily lost our approach at the plate and tried to hit seven run home runs and we may have done that earlier in the year. Tonight we did not. We chipped away and got the lead. And then after a bad call after two walks we give the lead back....and then came back again where one of our slumping hitters ripped a double to give us the winning hit.

Keegan should not pitch again this year. That's extreme but his performance tonight was simply not competitive and he lacks confidence right now. He is Vance Tatum 2.0. That's bad because we need to find a fourth starter. But it's obvious it's not him and they need to try something else next week against La Tech. We can get what we got out of Keegan from Cerentola and at least that maybe gives him some experience. Maybe we should try Tyler Spring. Maybe we should go with Brandon Smith and use him as an opener after all he did keep Memphis mostly at bay for three innings and like Cerentola I don't think the experience of starting would be a bad thing for him. Not having a fourth starter is our biggest weakness right now and hopefully won't bite us in the ass in the regionals.

But the bullpen was really good. Smith as I said kept them at bay for a couple of innings and Self had a nice comeback. Eagan pitched very well and probably should be used more. Barlow was up and down. And then Cole Gordon looked like he did in February. I would have liked to have seen Colby White get into the game but I totally understand leaving Gordon in with a game in the balance and him looking good.

I thought having Hancock catch tonight was a good move for the future and also to rest Skelton. Skelton still got a couple of AB's and got a hit. Tanner Allen looked much better tonight and he is now back over .300. Foscue chipped in a hit. Gilbert's home run was huge in this game because it got us back in it. Westburg is struggling and I don't like bunting him. Or any power hitter that is struggling. There is a reason why MLB teams don't have guys like Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger bunt when they are struggling and it's because they don't do it a lot and it usually ends up like- well Westburg's bunt.

Jake was Jake. He basically stole a run for us that gave us the lead and that turned out to be big because it caused us to only have a one run deficit and it also meant that we didn't have to play extra innings. Good to see MacNamee back! I have a feeling that he is healthy now. Rowdey didn't do a lot good or bad tonight.

I liked seeing Lemonis get into it with the umpire after the bad call on the double steal. I don't need to see a show or an ejection- but sometimes umpires need things pointed out from time to time.

We have another huge series on the road at Ole Miss and they are a good team this year. Their pitching has gotten better and now they have a chance to host a regional. It will be tough because I know that they are going to want to beat us even more after we have won the last three series and last four Governor's Cups. We're going to give them everything we've got too. A lot of postseason implications for both teams in this one.

#HailState

I called Gilbert's homer in even when Luke Hancock was up to bat. Their starting pitcher was throwing heat dead middle on the first pitch to every batter. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who picked up on it and I knew Gilbert would crush it if he recognized it too.

The Federalist Engineer
05-09-2019, 01:58 AM
Good to have Cole back into production.

Barlow also seems to have regressed. He looks like a 1-out pitcher right now. And he may just walk the leftie he is supposed to neutralize, 8 walks in 2 innings over 3 outings