PDA

View Full Version : To the people who think they already have Moorhead figured out...who would you hire?

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Who do you want? Who could we get that has a better resume than Moorhead or who you believe will be better?

It would have to be an assistant, small college coach, or old retread.

Les Miles? Did Kansas steal our Savior?

jacksondawg
05-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Nick Saban***

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Nick Saban***
Our fans would kill him for not Playing KT.

Pass

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 03:47 PM
I don't think anyone has said that they have the Moorhead hire figured out & 99% of fans lack the information to tell you who we should have hired. No of us interviewed them.

There is a difference in saying we have the Moorhead hire figured out vs just saying that the program appears incredibly sleepy right now.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Who do you want? Who could we get that has a better resume than Moorhead or who you believe will be better?

It would have to be an assistant, small college coach, or old retread.

Les Miles? Did Kansas steal our Savior?

Dan Marino.

TrapGame
05-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Weren't there some people around here pissed off we didn't go after Les Miles?

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 03:52 PM
I don't think anyone has said that they have the Moorhead hire figured out & 99% of fans lack the information to tell you who we should have hired. No of us interviewed them.

There is a difference in saying we have the Moorhead hire figured out vs just saying that the program appears incredibly sleepy right now.

No, multiple posters have proclaimed Moorhead as a bad coach. And I am not talking about who we should have hired then....I am talking about going forward. This board seems convinced the ship is sinking, why not stop this sinking ship now and find someone to coach KT and these boys to the glory they deserve.

But for Argument sake, lets say we did what some of you most likely wanted....fire Moorhead after Iowa. Who should we have hired then?

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 03:52 PM
I don’t have him figured out but was extremely hard on his offense last season. Never called for him to be fired either. But if I’m having to make a call right now to someone to gauge interests, Bob Stoops is one at the top of most AD’s list.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 03:54 PM
I don’t have him figured out but was extremely hard on his offense last season. Never called for him to be fired either. But if I’m having to make a call right now to someone to gauge interests, Bob Stoops is one at the top of most AD’s list.

lol

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 03:55 PM
No, multiple posters have proclaimed Moorhead as a bad coach. And I am not talking about who we should have hired then....I am talking about going forward. This board seems convinced the ship is sinking, why not stop this sinking ship now and find someone to coach KT and these boys to the glory they deserve.

But for Argument sake, lets say we did what some of you most likely wanted....fire Moorhead after Iowa. Who should we have hired then?

Has anyone said (seriously) Moorhead should be fired after Iowa vs. having decided (rightly or wrongly, TBD) that Moorhead ultimately will be fired?

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Speaking purely hypothetically, because I'm willing to give Moorhead two more years to see if we can get it right, these would be my possible candidates at that time:

1. Geoff Collins- I think he has the makeup to be extremely successful anywhere he goes. I think he can turn Ga. Tech into a Houston esque type program that recruits off the city. He's going to be back in the SEC one day so why not come back to Starkville.

2. Lane Kiffin- Why not kick the tires on ole Lane. I think he'd give anything to get back into the SEC and I think he could be successful.

3. Charlie Weis Jr.- He may not be ready at that point as he wouldn't even be in his 30s yet, but I truly believe this guy is one of the brightest minds in college football today. He's with Kiffin at FAU right now and if he can learn the recruiting ins and outs he could be hell on wheels in the SEC.

4. Brett Venables- He's probably never leaving Clemson, but it'd be worth a shot. This guy is THE coordinator in college football and has been for a while now.

5. Jeff Brohm- maybe he'll realize in two years he's reached his ceiling at Purdue and will come to the SEC. Really has Purdue rolling at the moment, outside of that beatdown he took in the Music City Bowl.

EDIT: I didn't add Bob Stoops because I imagine it would take around 40 million to get him to come and couple that with a possible buyout and hiring new coaches you're looking at an almost 50 million dollar hire. I don't know if we'd be willing to throw around that kind of money.

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:01 PM
lol

Lol what? If you can’t explain your thoughts then you are showing yourself to be a fool and don’t want a discussion.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Lol what? If you can’t explain your thoughts then you are showing yourself to be a fool and don’t want a discussion.

Oh. I am sorry. I didn't realize I needed to explain that mentioning Bob Stoops as a replacement for Moorhead warranted an actual laugh our loud. Because that's is what your post deserved. Do you want to actually discuss the possibility of him being our coach? Do you want to really drive home the fact that you are the actually fool?

msstate7
05-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Oh. I am sorry. I didn't realize I needed to explain that mentioning Bob Stoops as a replacement for Moorhead warranted an actual laugh our loud. Because that's is what your post deserved. Do you want to actually discuss the possibility of him being our coach? Do you want to really drive home the fact that you are the actually fool?

Bob stoops took a job in the XFL. Would he come? Probably not, but I sure as hell didn't think he'd coach in the XFL

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Kyle whittingham
Geoff Collins
Brent Venables

timotheus
05-08-2019, 04:15 PM
the basis for this discussion is for dead head to criticize responses even when he actually asked for his question to be answered. ole dead head is a good un to talk down to folks

MetEdDawg
05-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Speaking purely hypothetically, because I'm willing to give Moorhead two more years to see if we can get it right, these would be my possible candidates at that time:

1. Geoff Collins- I think he has the makeup to be extremely successful anywhere he goes. I think he can turn Ga. Tech into a Houston esque type program that recruits off the city. He's going to be back in the SEC one day so why not come back to Starkville.

2. Lane Kiffin- Why not kick the tires on ole Lane. I think he'd give anything to get back into the SEC and I think he could be successful.

3. Charlie Weis Jr.- He may not be ready at that point as he wouldn't even be in his 30s yet, but I truly believe this guy is one of the brightest minds in college football today. He's with Kiffin at FAU right now and if he can learn the recruiting ins and outs he could be hell on wheels in the SEC.

4. Brett Venables- He's probably never leaving Clemson, but it'd be worth a shot. This guy is THE coordinator in college football and has been for a while now.

5. Jeff Brohm- maybe he'll realize in two years he's reached his ceiling at Purdue and will come to the SEC. Really has Purdue rolling at the moment, outside of that beatdown he took in the Music City Bowl.

EDIT: I didn't add Bob Stoops because I imagine it would take around 40 million to get him to come and couple that with a possible buyout and hiring new coaches you're looking at an almost 50 million dollar hire. I don't know if we'd be willing to throw around that kind of money.

If you really think about this list, it's not good. Collins is only different from Moorhead in that he had been here already. But there's nothing in his resume that would suggest year one under him would have been better.

2. Lane Kiffin is a disaster. Completely and utter disaster. There's a reason he's still at FAU. He's not a good coach.

3. Moorhead was one of the brightest minds in football. Fan base hates that right now. How is Weis Jr. different than that?

4. Venables has had the door open at schools better than ours. Who's to say we didn't reach out and he said no? Either way, he's still a coordinator for a reason. He wants to be. And if he's waiting for the perfect job, trust me. We aren't it.

5) Brohm stayed at Purdue after being offered a massive pay raise at a better program. Stayed at Purdue.

Folks saying Neil Brown and Bill Clark literally have zero clue whether or not they would have done better. Their offensive philosophy is different than Mullen's. So we could have been looking at the same thing.

Saban is a defensive genius. Yes he gets the players he wants. But he's really freaking smart. To beat him you have to get the talent and be able to get players to execute your smart better than his smart. Moorhead so far has shown the capability to do the first part and by all accounts at literally every stop before us, he will be able to do the second part. One year is not enough time to say definitely he sucks or we made a bad hire. But Moorhead has the capability of doing the right things to win big in this conference. It's gonna take time.

Mullen didn't build a foundation of continual big time success. He elevated the floor for sure. No bowl game is not acceptable. It really doesn't take a ton to do that. It takes a lot more to get into the Top 15 consistently from the Top 30 than it does to get into the Top 30 from the Top 75, which is where we were pre Mullen. Hell extra money takes cares of half that gap.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 04:17 PM
the basis for this discussion is for dead head to criticize responses even when he actually asked for his question to be answered. ole dead head is a good un to talk down to folks

Nope. You are wrong. I asked specifically for people we could actually get. The guy that said Bob Stoops didn't answer my question

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:18 PM

Ok I change what I said, your an ignorant fool and still haven’t said one word why Stoops would be a LOL candidate. So yes, either actually explain your dissenting opinion or refrain from asking questions that you can’t quantify why you disagree with someone. In other words act like an adult when someone gives you a straight serious answer. I know, I know I’m asking way too much from a child

TrapGame
05-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Kyle whittingham
Geoff Collins
Brent Venables

I wonder if Geoff a) would be interested and b) if Cohen would do it.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Ok I change what I said, your an ignorant fool and still haven’t said one word why Stoops would be a LOL candidate. So yes, either actually explain your dissenting opinion or refrain from asking questions that you can’t quantify why you disagree with someone. In other words act like an adult when someone gives you a straight serious answer. I know, I know I’m asking way too much from a child

lol

ETA. To explain that post, I am still laughing at you for thinking Bob Stoops would be an option. For argument sake, because you seem very dense, he would have tons of better options if he wanted to get back to into college coaching. Look at programs, similar to ours, places like Arky and UT.

The only realistic candidates would be small school HC, retreads, or up and comers.

timotheus
05-08-2019, 04:22 PM
I agree with really clark? on the ignorant fool part

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Nope. You are wrong. I asked specifically for people we could actually get. The guy that said Bob Stoops didn't answer my question

He may not but it’s not crazy to think we couldn’t pull him from the XFL. Veneables is even less likely to come but you still make call.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Has anyone said (seriously) Moorhead should be fired after Iowa vs. having decided (rightly or wrongly, TBD) that Moorhead ultimately will be fired?

No, pretty much no one. I wish we had hired Neal Brown or Bill Clark instead of Moorhead. But no one thought he should be fired after Iowa. Strawman argument for OP and a few others like him.

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:26 PM
lol

ETA. To explain that post, I am still laughing at you for thinking Bob Stoops would be an option. For argument sake, because you seem very dense, he would have tons of better options if he wanted to get back to into college coaching. Look at programs, similar to ours, places like Arky and UT.

The only realistic candidates would be small school HC, retreads, or up and comers.

Depends on the year obviously and who actually has a job open, but that is actually changing the criteria you asked and he was obviously available this past coaching offseason and he went XFL. He may not want to coach in college again either, but you make that call.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 04:28 PM
No, pretty much no one. I wish we had hired Neal Brown or Bill Clark instead of Moorhead. But no one thought he should be fired after Iowa. Strawman argument for OP and a few others like him.

No one has come out and said it but several people saying we need to make a change now before we lose momentum. That is saying fire him without actually saying it.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 04:29 PM
He may not but it’s not crazy to think we couldn’t pull him from the XFL. Veneables is even less likely to come but you still make call.

Rumor was we reached out to Venerables and he declined to even interview. He has turned down a lot of offers to interview.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Depends on the year obviously and who actually has a job open, but that is actually changing the criteria you asked and he was obviously available this past coaching offseason and he went XFL. He may not want to coach in college again either, but you make that call.

Sure you make the call. And I am sure lots of colleges made that call to him. It looks like he isn't interested.

But I am not changing the criteria. If you want to believe Stoops would be a coach we can get to come here, go ahead. It just reinforces my point though. The only names we can come up with that are clearly better options than Moorhead are not really realistic. The realistic options are coaches like Moorhead ...and this will be the type of coach we hire for the time being. A really respected and proven OC is our Target and when we made the hire we got one of the better ones.

I am not seeing any other names that look like better hires, that are realistic. All the realistic names are just another roll of the dice.

No one has come out and said it but several people saying we need to make a change now before we lose momentum. That is saying fire him without actually saying it.

Exactly. Its very clear several here have their minds made up already

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Rumor was we reached out to Venerables and he declined to even interview. He has turned down a lot of offers to interview.

Yes and yes he has. I really thought it would have been KState to get him to finally take a HC job but the went another direction.

MetEdDawg
05-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Auburn apparently made the call and he turned them down. And Auburn is a better job than ours

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Auburn apparently made the call and he turned them down. And Auburn is a better job than ours

You talking while he was at OK or this past offseason? Because from what I understand any rumors since Malzhan signed that extension was just that, rumors because that contract is an issue. And he has also rejected talking with schools while they have a HC before. If there was an actual opening, that might be different.

ETA. This article from last Nov maybe what you alluding to?

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/1067209891889250304/photo/1

Bothrops
05-08-2019, 04:42 PM
John L. Smith

MetEdDawg
05-08-2019, 04:43 PM
You talking while he was at OK or this past offseason? Because from what I understand any rumors since Malzhan signed that extension was just that, rumors because that contract is an issue. And he has also rejected talking with schools while they have a HC before. If there was an actual opening, that might be different.

After he left. My Auburn folks that would know said there were lines of communication open between both sides. Auburn definitely put feelers out to see how much it would take. Sounds like the whole recruiting thing and having to deal with the current day athlete was a little much to overcome.

But both sides talked

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:46 PM
After he left. My Auburn folks that would know said there were lines of communication open between both sides. Auburn definitely put feelers out to see how much it would take. Sounds like the whole recruiting thing and having to deal with the current day athlete was a little much to overcome.

But both sides talked

I added a link to my post from last Nov

Really Clark?
05-08-2019, 04:56 PM

The money may be a stumbling block. But we offered Mullen $6-$6+ MIL to stay and I don?t think the buyouts with this staff is $10MIL. So $7-8 MIL 4 year guaranteed might would do it and not crazy from what we were willing to pay Mullen

Johnson85
05-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Sure you make the call. And I am sure lots of colleges made that call to him. It looks like he isn't interested.

But I am not changing the criteria. If you want to believe Stoops would be a coach we can get to come here, go ahead. It just reinforces my point though. The only names we can come up with that are clearly better options than Moorhead are not really realistic. The realistic options are coaches like Moorhead ...and this will be the type of coach we hire for the time being. A really respected and proven OC is our Target and when we made the hire we got one of the better ones.

I am not seeing any other names that look like better hires, that are realistic. All the realistic names are just another roll of the dice.

Exactly. Its very clear several here have their minds made up already

All of our hires are going to look basically the same and we will not get a sure thing, unless we have a howland type situation, where a really good and proven coach just falls into our lap, and I can't even think off hand who would fit that profile recently.

Cohen made a great hire without the benefit of hindsight. Moorhead didn't do a good job this year, but I still think he's going to be a solid hire even if isn't spectacular. My only concern is that because our personnel is so lacking at WR and I don't see a near term fix, he might have negative momentum that makes it hard for him to convince the personell he needs to come here. But as long as people don't freak out on him, he clearly can get his offense to work well enough to keep us in the 6-7 win range while he works to upgrade talent at WR and QB.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Moorhead didn't do a good job....he also didn't do a bad job. He went par.....and since it was his first year in the SEC I am ok.

I'm not overly joyous, but I am not feeling doom and gloom either. I do love State and I do love football, so I'm excited to see what he can do

timotheus
05-08-2019, 05:11 PM
well good

Liverpooldawg
05-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Rick Ray is probably available.

ejdallas322
05-08-2019, 06:47 PM
If Moorhead were to leave, I would honestly be interested in Dave Aranda, mainly because he has a ton of relations with other good assistants that he could add to the staff.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 07:25 PM
If Moorhead were to leave, I would honestly be interested in Dave Aranda, mainly because he has a ton of relations with other good assistants that he could add to the staff.

Aranda would have almost as good of a resume as Moorhead when we hired him.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 08:32 PM
I don't think anyone has said that they have the Moorhead hire figured out.

You couldn't even make it an afternoon without proving your own self wrong

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 09:47 PM
You couldn't even make it an afternoon without proving your own self wrong

It was an epiphany.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Kyle whittingham
Geoff Collins
Brent Venables

The only one on that list that deserves this job would be Venables. Whittingham has done exactly what Mullen/Moorhead has done here for years at Utah but you want to over pay for him? If Collins blows it up at Ga Tech he will be the hottest name in the country (doubt he wins big there consistently) so you can scratch 2 of those 3 off the list. Be honest only reason you said Whittingham is bc C34 said it once. Its ok.

All this over decommits in May is beyond me

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 11:24 PM
The only one on that list that deserves this job would be Venables. Whittingham has done exactly what Mullen/Moorhead has done here for years at Utah but you want to over pay for him? If Collins blows it up at Ga Tech he will be the hottest name in the country (doubt he wins big there consistently) so you can scratch 2 of those 3 off the list. Be honest only reason you said Whittingham is bc C34 said it once. Its ok.

All Collins did was not let what Rheule built go into the shitter. If you compared all those resumes when Mullen left, about 90% of the people would hire Moorhead. Everyone wanted an offensive coach and Moorhead was thought to be one of the best in the country. It is still out for debate whether he can get his offense to work with the players on campus but I personally will wait and see. I would rather support the program than shit on it like a lot of people are doing.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:25 PM
All Collins did was not let what Rheule built go into the shitter. If you compared all those resumes when Mullen left, about 90% of the people would hire Moorhead. Everyone wanted an offensive coach and Moorhead was thought to be one of the best in the country. It is still out for debate whether he can get his offense to work with the players on campus but I personally will wait and see. I would rather support the program than shit on it like a lot of people are doing.

Some have their minds made up on him. No use in arguing. I just dont want them to show back up when things are going well. Next commit we get they should be banned from the thread

ejdallas322
05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Could hire Pat Fitzgerald. Would be pretty hard to pull, but we are A) an SEC West program B) Could probably offer him a bigger contract C) An overall decent football program right now and a little better than Northwestern.

Johnson85
05-09-2019, 09:43 AM

What's funny is people on here were over the moon on MOorhead and just convinced he was a sure thing when he was hired. I was always skeptical, not because I was skeptical of Moorhead, but just b/c I was aware the only sure thing is when you are hiring a guy that has already built the type of reputation that recruits itself. So basically Meyer going to OSU, Saban going to Bama, Chip Kelly to UCLA (and we'll see whether that's really a sure thing). Pete Carroll would be. Bob Stoops would be. Probably some others that I'm missing but can't think of, but regardless, not names we're going to have a chance with outside of picking somebody up that is shaking off a scandal or something.

Moorhead could end up being awful, and i still wouldn't claim it was a bad hire by Cohen. He hired one of if not the hottest OC's in the country. He had coordinator experience at a Blue blood program in a power conference that is reasonably dirty in recruiting. He also had successful experience as a head coach at a lower level. There were probably a handful of other guys we could have gotten that would have had comparable (if different) resumes or maybe slightly less impressive resumes, and odds are high that one of them will probably end up looking like a better hire with the benefit of hindsight.

I will say that I am feeling better about the Moorhead hire. He had personnel that didn't fit his offense and had talent that we can basically match year to year (maybe not a QB talent like fitz, but easily one that is less talented but better for MOorhead's offense, and we should be able to keep better WR's and comparable RBs pretty consistently; the OL was probably above average for us, but that is one place where Moorhead looks to have upgraded recruiting). With talent that we should be able to replicate but that doesn't fit his system, particularly at WR, we were able to destroy bad to mediocre defenses in the first year running the offense.

I am still extremely concerned about his failure to adjust his offense at UK; we are going to have to have somebody that can make ingame adjustments or it's going to cost us at least a game if not two each year. But even if that isn't addressed, I think his system will allow us to field an offense that keeps us bowl eligible every year and at least allows us to be competitive with all but the elite teams when our talent cycles up. So basically the same as Mullen, which people may not want to hear, but if Moorhead matches Mullen that will be a big success for us and I would have taken it ten out of ten times if that was offered when Mullen left.

AROB44
05-09-2019, 09:46 AM

BINGO!!! Winer Winner...Chicken Dinner!!!

StarkVegasSteve
05-09-2019, 11:20 AM
If you really think about this list, it's not good. Collins is only different from Moorhead in that he had been here already. But there's nothing in his resume that would suggest year one under him would have been better.

2. Lane Kiffin is a disaster. Completely and utter disaster. There's a reason he's still at FAU. He's not a good coach.

3. Moorhead was one of the brightest minds in football. Fan base hates that right now. How is Weis Jr. different than that?

4. Venables has had the door open at schools better than ours. Who's to say we didn't reach out and he said no? Either way, he's still a coordinator for a reason. He wants to be. And if he's waiting for the perfect job, trust me. We aren't it.

5) Brohm stayed at Purdue after being offered a massive pay raise at a better program. Stayed at Purdue.

Folks saying Neil Brown and Bill Clark literally have zero clue whether or not they would have done better. Their offensive philosophy is different than Mullen's. So we could have been looking at the same thing.

Saban is a defensive genius. Yes he gets the players he wants. But he's really freaking smart. To beat him you have to get the talent and be able to get players to execute your smart better than his smart. Moorhead so far has shown the capability to do the first part and by all accounts at literally every stop before us, he will be able to do the second part. One year is not enough time to say definitely he sucks or we made a bad hire. But Moorhead has the capability of doing the right things to win big in this conference. It's gonna take time.

Mullen didn't build a foundation of continual big time success. He elevated the floor for sure. No bowl game is not acceptable. It really doesn't take a ton to do that. It takes a lot more to get into the Top 15 consistently from the Top 30 than it does to get into the Top 30 from the Top 75, which is where we were pre Mullen. Hell extra money takes cares of half that gap.

Collins will win. He's won everywhere he's been and he knows the conference. Which we see is a VERY important attribute. He's also a hell of a lot more energetic than Moorhead and a lot of fans and recruits seem to like the more hyped up emotional coaches these days.

The hate on Lane is overrated. He brought an offense to Bama that Saban still uses. The same Saban you say is smart. Now I'm not saying Lane should come here or even wants to come here, but the guy can coach and recruit. Lane is constantly hounded by the Tennessee and USC stuff, but people seem to forget he went 10-2 his first year at USC on severe probation and he wasn't bad at Tennessee.

Charlie Weis Jr is nothing like Moorhead. He's been on the sidelines listening and observing since he was 13 years old. The damn Atlanta Falcons hired him as 23 yr old. Let me give you a list of the coaches he's observed and been under. Saban, Bellichick, Brian Daboll, Dan Quinn, Kyle Shannahan. Those guys can coach. And this kid can too. He'll be one of the hottest name in the country in 2 years. Book it.

I agree with you on Venables. I think Brohm will realize in two years he made a massive mistake not leaving.

Overall I understand where you're coming from and obviously this is just a hypothetical list. I have no clue what coach will be the hot name in two years. I'm also willing to give Moorhead a chance to get his type of players in here and see if he can succeed.