View Full Version : First iteration of a *yearly* thread

PMDawg
05-08-2019, 10:45 AM
So, taking the latest BA bracketology, and assuming this is our regional:

1. MSU
2. USM
3. Nebraska
4. Jacksonville State

Do you go Plumlee vs. JSU and save Small for USM/Nebraska. I know we do this every year we're in a regional, and I know it's way too early. But still, I've been thinking about this for awhile. I think if Plumlee stays on his current roll, then the answer is yes. If he "regresses to the mean", then I think it becomes a very difficult decision.

Just throwing it out there.

Political Hack
05-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Yes. If we're the 1, you save Small game 2.*

*If you think Small could pitch some in the final after throwing game 1, you could potentially throw him game 1.

Captain Falcon
05-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Depends on who the 4 seed is. If we’re playing a SWAC team then no way you waste Small on them. But the last two times we hosted, we had to deal with stronger 4 seeds in Central Arkansas and SEMO. The guy SEMO threw against us is now the ace for the Padres. In this scenario, Jacksonville State is probably a weak enough 4 seed where we should use Ginn or Plumlee.

The good news is that right now we have a very balanced rotation. Small is the ace, sure, but I feel comfortable with all three of our starters against pretty much anybody.

MetEdDawg
05-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Considering the arm problems we've had with short rest, I would be very concerned pitching Ginn first. That would be something I would not want. So you either go Plumlee or you go Small game 1.

To me you go normal rotation. Keep it like it is and roll with it. Strategically, you have to imagine Plumlee is going to be better than anybody the other teams pitch in game 3. After that, even with the struggles of Keegan, you can still roll with him, Eagan, Brandon Smith, even Leibelt. We have the arms to do something game 4 that would be better than another team.

I say leave it like it is and dominate.

Homedawg
05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Unless it's a swac school I think you always throw your 1. Fsu has gotten cute more than once and failed w the other strategy (including last year), ole miss has done it. Baseball is just too different from all the other sports to roll those dice. One great pitching performance and a loss will make you think it's not a great idea to save your ace. I know the other side is going to say but if we hadn't pitched Maholm, well you can't win the first two if you don't win the first one!

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 02:22 PM
I've got enough faith in Plumlee and our bats that I'd throw him out there against the 4 seed. Save Small for Game 2 and Ginn Game 3.

crackerjax
05-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Most all mid-majors have a really good ace pitcher. No need to mess around. If you change the rotation, you will end up throwing guys on less rest than usual in the super regional. Why would you do that?

Homedawg
05-08-2019, 02:44 PM
I've got enough faith in Plumlee and our bats that I'd throw him out there against the 4 seed. Save Small for Game 2 and Ginn Game 3.

Yeah and so did fla state last year......

BiscuitEater
05-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Plumlee pitched for Florida State last year? Who knew?**

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 03:02 PM

I'd still pitch Plumlee. Hell if we lose we'd probably be more comfortable. A bulk of this team doesn't even know what it's like to be in the winner's bracket of a regional.

HooverDawg
05-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Considering the arm problems we've had with short rest, I would be very concerned pitching Ginn first. That would be something I would not want. So you either go Plumlee or you go Small game 1.

To me you go normal rotation. Keep it like it is and roll with it. Strategically, you have to imagine Plumlee is going to be better than anybody the other teams pitch in game 3. After that, even with the struggles of Keegan, you can still roll with him, Eagan, Brandon Smith, even Leibelt. We have the arms to do something game 4 that would be better than another team.

I say leave it like it is and dominate.

Agreed. I'll take Small vs. anybody's 1, Ginn vs. anybody's 2, and Plumlee vs. anybody's 3. No need to change it up or get cute. I think the key is Plumlee is certainly good enough against anybody's number 3 to finish off the regional and if we go to a game 4 we can outscore anyone.

smootness
05-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Most all mid-majors have a really good ace pitcher. No need to mess around. If you change the rotation, you will end up throwing guys on less rest than usual in the super regional. Why would you do that?

Not necessarily. Some super regionals are Saturday-Monday. And I'd rather give the team the best chance to win the regional than worry too much about one day's difference in rest. It's the postseason, it's going to be a little abnormal eventually no matter what.