PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts On the Current Status of Our Football Program

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:59 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/xT5LMEMzdKTE2a6xfG/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Most boring our football program has been years. Nothing good really happens. We just kind of exist to some degree.

Does anyone get the feeling that we are ramping this thing up or does it feel more like we taking a nap?

Feels to me like the program blew it's load last season & now everyone is resigned to a fate of finishing no better than 3rd or 4th in the West for eternity.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Seems interest is dropping. What are season ticket sales looking like?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Not sure, but I can't feel a pulse right now.

Feels like the entire fan base just came to the reality that there is absolutely nothing we can do to develop into a contender. Thus, why even care?

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 10:18 AM
It definitely feels like some people putting the offensive struggles in 4 games against good to great defenses mostly on the road has overwhelmed the "successful" season. Our program isn't anywhere close to thinking 8 wins isn't a success along with one of our better recruiting classes in the last 20 years.

Offensively Dominating all of the OOC, Auburn, A&M, Ark, and Ole Miss isn't enough to replace the shit show on offense in the 4 losses (I don't include Iowa because the offense scored almost a TD more than Iowa was giving up and was Guidry catching the ball away from winning).

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 10:22 AM
I feel like there's just a lot of uncertainty and people don't really want to discuss it right now. Also, most of our fans are consumed by baseball and what's going on at the Dude. Get to about July and the excitement will get ramped up once again.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:26 AM
It definitely feels like some people putting the offensive struggles in 4 games against good to great defenses mostly on the road has overwhelmed the "successful" season. Our program isn't anywhere close to thinking 8 wins isn't a success along with one of our better recruiting classes in the last 20 years.

Offensively Dominating all of the OOC, Auburn, A&M, Ark, and Ole Miss isn't enough to replace the shit show on offense in the 4 losses (I don't include Iowa because the offense scored almost a TD more than Iowa was giving up and was Guidry catching the ball away from winning).

It's not even about that to me. It's not about blaming JoMo, Fitz, or anyone else.

Just seems like the program is taking a nap.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 10:27 AM
It feels we have a bunch of fans who are still stuck in the woe is me poor old Mississippi State mentality. They have convinced themselves that our 2018 team was the best we can ever be. That a team without receivers and a QB that can pass is the top of the mountain for us

It feels like the instant gratification problem people want to attribute to younger generations is rampant in our fanbase

It feels like we have a bunch of entitled whiney snowflakes for fans who are unable to grasp the idea that the long term plan is more important

But thankfully it also feels like the actual people making the decision for our team, the real coaches, are not as dumb as our fans.

I am very excited to see what the future will bring

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:28 AM
The Moorhead/Cohen combo seems to be PBS in terms of building hype & excitement

CadaverDawg
05-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Feels like the entire fan base just came to the reality that there is absolutely nothing we can do to develop into a contender. Thus, why even care?

This is the truth. Those saying otherwise are just in denial, but will be joining us shortly.

We need something good to happen. We underachieved in 2018, yet people loved the Egg Bowl and thought a good Outback showing would keep them on board, and then......Iowa happened. And then....recruiting was fairly solid but we limped to the finish line in a monster MS recruiting year. And then....we missed on every transfer worth a crap. And then...we saw little to no offensive improvement in the Spring game. We need SOMETHING positive or this thing could spiral. And we know where a spiral can lead to, because until Sherrill we only knew what the cellar felt like. Many fear in one year we've begun wiping away everything Mullen built and we've now started slowly rolling backwards back down the hill we just climbed. We need something good to happen to at least apply the parking brake in hopes we can get it headed back up hill before the backwards momentum picks up too much speed to be stopped. My opinion of course

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:29 AM
It feels we have a bunch of fans who are still stuck in the woe is me poor old Mississippi State mentality. They have convinced themselves that our 2018 team was the best we can ever be. That a team without receivers and a QB that can pass is the top of the mountain for us

It feels like the instant gratification problem people want to attribute to younger generations is rampant in our fanbase

It feels like we have a bunch of entitled whiney snowflakes for fans who are unable to grasp the idea that the long term plan is more important

But thankfully it also feels like the actual people making the decision for our team, the real coaches, are not as dumb as our fans.

I am very excited to see what the future will bring

What are you excited about?

Captain Falcon
05-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Well it’s also early May. The Spring Game was a month ago and we don’t start fall camp for almost 3 months. There’s not exactly much to talk about right now other than the possible Tommy Stevens thing.

Fan excitement won’t be as high this year as it was last year, at least not at the start of the season. But that’s how it always is, some seasons will just have more hype than others. But people will get more excited as the season gets closer. I still expect us to have a good crowd in NOLA and for our home opener against USM. Overall our home schedule is really appealing this year so as long as we aren’t terrible then attendance should be good.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Telling everyone how they should feel

Doggie_Style
05-08-2019, 10:35 AM

There is no doubt interest to dropping....I'm not sure how it will affect ticket sales this year but 2020 may be a different story. IMO Joe is just not a very exciting or dynamic personality. While that in and of itself may not affect his ability to coach it feels like it's affecting his ability to recruit. I know he works hard but I just fear he's not connecting with kids and effectively selling the program.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 10:35 AM
This is the truth. Those saying otherwise are just in denial, but will be joining us shortly.

We need something good to happen. We underachieved in 2018, yet people loved the Egg Bowl and thought a good Outback showing would keep them on board, and then......Iowa happened. And then....recruiting was fairly solid but we limped to the finish line in a monster MS recruiting year. And then....we missed on every transfer worth a crap. And then...we saw little to no offensive improvement in the Spring game. We need SOMETHING positive or this thing could spiral. And we know where a spiral can lead to, because until Sherrill we only knew what the cellar felt like. Many fear in one year we've begun wiping away everything Mullen built and we've now started slowly rolling backwards back down the hill we just climbed. We need something good to happen to at least apply the parking brake in hopes we can get it headed back up hill before the backwards momentum picks up too much speed to be stopped. My opinion of course

Good post.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:37 AM
There is no doubt interest to dropping....I'm not sure how it will affect ticket sales this year but 2020 may be a different story. IMO Joe is just not a very exciting or dynamic personality. While that in and of itself may not affect his ability to coach it feels like it's affecting his ability to recruit. I know he works hard but I just fear he's not connecting with kids and effectively selling the program.

I get the same feeling

Other SEC schools are loading up on recruits & we're just trying to get interest from in-state kids

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Great post Cadaver.

PMDawg
05-08-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm pretty apathetic. 2001, 2008, the end of the 2014 season, and last year....those just wear on you. We're a "good" program. That's where we are. 7 or 8 wins seems to be the norm - and that's so much better than 2001 to 2008, so don't get me wrong. But it feels like 7 or 8 wins is the norm, with a few 6, 9, or 10 win seasons sprinkled in. The lows aren't that low, the highs aren't that high. So it's just kind of "meh". I know that's a poor attitude, but that's what it is. I just don't get that worked up either way any more. Basketball (M & W) and baseball still work me up a bit because I feel like we can actually win something of consequence in those.

AlSwearengen
05-08-2019, 10:53 AM
The way the whole recruiting season played out made me want to forget that football exists. Best class in memory, olemiss crippled, etc., etc.

Going in, it looked like timing was on our side but a QB that can’t throw, receivers that can’t get open/catch, and a coach that wanted to pound a square peg into a round hole doomed us to a pedestrian record when we should have been able to go 9-2.

And you can’t forget about Saban running his whole staff off and raiding our staff along with screwing up our recruiting. Pretty damn depressing.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Having a young highly regarded coach who was projected to win 8 games....and did in his first season as a big time head coach.

So we have a coach, who did what he was supposed to do in his first year, who has a ton of upside. The SEC West is the toughest place in college football. For a coach to not underachieve in his first year here is a very good sign

He seems to have a lot more potential as a recruiter than Mullen.

Granted we haven't had a enough time to know for sure if he will be good or bad, but I am absolutely excited to see what will happen. We have a coach that met expectations in his first season. Let's see what he can do with a little time

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Having a young highly regarded coach who was projected to win 8 games....and did in his first season as a big time head coach.

So we have a coach, who did what he was supposed to do in his first year, who has a ton of upside. The SEC West is the toughest place in college football. For a coach to not underachieve in his first year here is a very good sign

He seems to have a lot more potential as a recruiter than Mullen.

Granted we haven't had a enough time to know for sure if he will be good or bad, but I am absolutely excited to see what will happen. We have a coach that met expectations in his first season. Let's see what he can do with a little time

Ok cool.

You seem to be a glass more than half full guy & I respect that. We need to balance the negative with the positive. Good post

Political Hack
05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
The people paying attention know we're stagnant at best right now. 8-9 win season this year would be great to be honest, but nobody is going to get excited over that anymore unfortunately. A decade ago we were jacked about 5-7.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 11:04 AM

This is me. I don't enjoy watching our offense and I don't think we hired the right coach for our program. I also think bowl games are a complete farce. I think our non-conference schedule is a farce. I don't know what we are playing for except to beat Ole Miss in the egg bowl and try to get to 7 or 8 wins.

Pinto
05-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Just make sure they don't bring that basketball goal back on the sidelines. It was cool when Joe was doing the alley-oops but then they added the goal and cheesed it to crap up. Just stay cool man.

As for the season, I'll go-see my family and friends-watch the game-and be in the same mood I came in. Unless we light up the scoreboard or Look competent offense, I won't buy back in. Saving my emotional investment for women's basketball and baseball. Football and men's basketball have a long way to go for me to care again.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Ok cool.

You seem to be a glass more than half full guy & I respect that. We need to balance the negative with the positive. Good post

Thanks, but I actually see myself as more of a "let's actually wait long enough to see where the pouring stops" kinds guy.

You really can't tell if a glass is half empty or half full if it's still being poured

Doggie_Style
05-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Totally agree.....and it shouldn't be that way

Maroonthirteen
05-08-2019, 11:11 AM
As ridiculous as it is....

I think the Florida game last year was his opportunity to make a statement that he is the alpha dog and the new sherrif in town. However that downer was followed up with a bowl game loss. I’m afraid you’re seeing the effects of those two games now.

However what many don’t realize..... we could have hired a lot worse. While he doesn’t have an exciting personality. He is a good coach. We have hired much worse over the years that excited the fan base and resulted in much worse results than we got from Joe. Sooo..... I’m afraid a lot of it is our day and age.... there are many
Many options for entertainment.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 11:13 AM

I think the Florida game last year was his opportunity to make a statement that he is the alpha dog and the new sherrif in town. However that downer was followed up with a bowl game loss. I’m afraid you’re seeing the effects of those two games now.

However what many don’t realize..... we could have hired a lot worse. While he doesn’t have an exciting personality. He is a good coach. We have hired much worse over the years that excited the fan base and resulted in much worse results than we got from Joe. Sooo..... I’m afraid a lot of it is our day and age.... there are many
Many options for entertainment.

agree, that UF game at home was huge.

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Joe Moorhead’s biggest problem unless he wins some big games is always going to be the home loss to Dan Mullen. I still hear about that from people who aren’t even message board types.

RiverCityDawg
05-08-2019, 11:14 AM
This is me. I don't enjoy watching our offense and I don't think we hired the right coach for our program. I also think bowl games are a complete farce. I think our non-conference schedule is a farce. I don't know what we are playing for except to beat Ole Miss in the egg bowl and try to get to 7 or 8 wins.

With all due respect, you should probably just give up following college football unless you are going to adopt one of the 10-12 teams that has a chance at winning the National Championship.

Seriously, I've thought about this too... As State fans if we can't just enjoy watching our team play, enjoy following the details of what they are doing, and cheer for a better than expected result, why put ourselves through the inevitable gut wrenching results? I'm going to choose to be optimistic and enjoy it. If I can't do that I'll just quit following them.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 11:22 AM
With all due respect, you should probably just give up following college football unless you are going to adopt one of the 10-12 teams that has a chance at winning the National Championship.

Seriously, I've thought about this too... As State fans if we can't just enjoy watching our team play, enjoy following the details of what they are doing, and cheer for a better than expected result, why put ourselves through the inevitable gut wrenching results? I'm going to choose to be optimistic and enjoy it. If I can't do that I'll just quit following them.

There is some truth in your post. Conference expansion, Conference realignment (I mean Nebraska in the Big Ten??) the berth of the college football playoff, Bama's dominance, unbalanced schedules, Big Screen TV's, have all led to a little apathy on my part. Making a bowl game used to mean something and that's what we played for. Bowl games mean nothing now and attendance proves that.

I think college football needs major reforms: Reduce scholarships to 70 to promote parity, Playoff expansion, 9 conference games, pay the players a larger stipened, etc.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-08-2019, 11:29 AM

He's a former ball player and a coach unlike loafers being a cheerleader. One thing loafers could do was market and drive excitement.

You could see the pressure of it all on his face after the first possession was three and out.

TrapGame
05-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Joe Moorhead’s biggest problem unless he wins some big games is always going to be the home loss to Dan Mullen. I still hear about that from people who aren’t even message board types.

Me too. That lost a lot of the lukewarm fans I know. The only way Joe makes it up to them is beating Saban or a miraculous 11-1 type season.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Ask the kids how he connects with them.
When did Mullen and company go out side of the state and rack up or even try for that matter ?
And it?s May and the baseball team is top 5

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Better loss than losing to Matt Luke at home in his first year

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:45 AM
The people paying attention know we're stagnant at best right now. 8-9 win season this year would be great to be honest, but nobody is going to get excited over that anymore unfortunately. A decade ago we were jacked about 5-7.

And people y’all do understand we were 6-7 and had to win the last 3 to get to 6 wins... just 3 years ago.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 11:46 AM
When did Mullen and company go out side of the state and rack up or even try for that matter ?

Sounds good. Unfortunately, there were 16 composite 4-stars in state last year.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Then why isn't he recruiting better?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Thanks, but I actually see myself as more of a "let's actually wait long enough to see where the pouring stops" kinds guy.

You really can't tell if a glass is half empty or half full if it's still being poured

If you wait for the pouring to stop, your program may be too fair down to quickly revive.

Not saying that's the case, but it certainly could be

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:48 AM
College Football is a little boring right now because we can already name you the 6-7 teams that will fighting for those 4 playoff spots and 2 or 3 of those are prob a given...

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:49 AM
There is some truth in your post. Conference expansion, Conference realignment (I mean Nebraska in the Big Ten??) the berth of the college football playoff, Bama's dominance, unbalanced schedules, Big Screen TV's, have all led to a little apathy on my part. Making a bowl game used to mean something and that's what we played for. Bowl games mean nothing now and attendance proves that.

I think college football needs major reforms: Reduce scholarships to 70 to promote parity, Playoff expansion, 9 conference games, pay the players a larger stipened, etc.

I agree with you 100%. You are addressing some larger issues that hold college football back, but there is nothing we can really do about that now.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:50 AM
College Football is a little boring right now because we can already name you the 6-7 teams that will fighting for those 4 playoff spots and 2 or 3 of those are prob a given...

No doubt about it. Huge problem with the sport that really destroys any chance of the sport growing.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Then why isn't he recruiting better?

What are you expecting .? A top 10-15 class ever year.

TrapGame
05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
No doubt about it. Huge problem with the sport that really destroys any chance of the sport growing.

Can we really call it "sport" when teams like Alabama are the equivalent of deer hunting with a satellite controlled heat seeking missile?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:54 AM
What are you expecting .? A top 10-15 class ever year.

Not getting out recruited by Ole Miss & Arkansas, when there are 16 in-state 4 stars, would be a start.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Can we really call it "sport" when teams like Alabama are the equivalent of deer hunting with a satellite controlled heat seeking missile?

No.

It's a contest that is stuck in 1970 with apparently no interest in increasing revenue by creating more competitive games & unpredictable outcomes.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Not getting out recruited by Ole Miss & Arkansas, when there are 16 in-state 4 stars, would be a start.

Wasn’t aware that OM out recruited us last year ?
And I don’t think Arky dipped into MS and stole any kids from us

msstate7
05-08-2019, 12:00 PM
No.

It's a contest that is stuck in 1970 with apparently no interest in increasing revenue by creating more competitive games & unpredictable outcomes.

I don't think the majority of fans want non-blue bloods in the playoff type games. Could be wrong, but basing it on ncaa tourney ratings when a Cinderella makes it past 1st 2 rounds

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Wasn’t aware that OM out recruited us last year ?
And I don’t think Arky dipped into MS and stole any kids from us

What does Ark not taking a Mississippi kid have to do with it? Are we only limited to recruiting Mississippi kids? I hope not because we had 16 in-state 4/5 stars last year & split them with half the SEC West.

Why are you playing dumb? No one was attacking you

https://i.imgur.com/VZQtgGK.jpg

TrapGame
05-08-2019, 12:01 PM
No.

What happened to all this parity in college football we were hearing about a few years ago?

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Better loss than losing to Matt Luke at home in his first year

I mean, by that logic, Moorhead lost at home to the guy who lost to Matt Luke at home...

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:03 PM
What does Ark not taking a Mississippi kid have to do with it? Are we only limited to recruiting Mississippi kids? I hope not because we had 16 in-state 4/5 stars last year & split them with half the SEC West.

According to my math.. 88.64 is greater than 88.54 and 87.66

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:04 PM
I don't think the majority of fans want non-blue bloods in the playoff type games. Could be wrong, but basing it on ncaa tourney ratings when a Cinderella makes it past 1st 2 rounds

The NFL has done a great job of making it where market size doesn't matter.

That being said, I'm more in favor of the MLB model where some organizations (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox) still have enough advantages that there are favorites & teams to hate. I think the NFL may have gone too far in eliminating that.

However, I think there has to be a balance. While it is a good for the sport for mostly blue bloods to be involved in the playoff, it can't be ONLY them & no one else has a chance. There has to be a balance where non-blue bloods can actually accumulate enough talent that they have a reasonable chance of making a run. We aren't at that level yet & won't be until scholarships are limited a little more & the talent level is spread out a little more.

Right now, the blue bloods have a too much of a capacity to hoard so much talent that the games are lopsided & the sport is uninteresting.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:04 PM
I mean, by that logic, Moorhead lost at home to the guy who lost to Matt Luke at home...

Am I still pissed about losing to Mullen and Fla hell yes ... but I will take losing to Fla everyday all day than losing to OM...

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:05 PM

According to my math, if Ole Miss would've signed the same number of players that we did, their average would have been hirer.

Keep spinning though.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Compare apples to apples, get the avg rating of the top 21 in each class.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:07 PM
What happened to all this parity in college football we were hearing about a few years ago?

It's been destroyed by recruiting rankings that make high school kids become famous in 10th grade. That has allowed the blue bloods to develop a relationship similar or greater than the in-state school.

Hoarding recruits has become easier for the blue bloods IMO

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:07 PM
According to my math, if Ole Miss would've signed the same number of players that we did, their average would have been hirer.

Keep spinning though.

I’m not spinning anything... you stay a fact they out recruited I stated a fact that by according average player rank they didn’t.
Who’s to say if we signed 31 players our average wouldn’t have gone up

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Keep spinning though.

View it this way
Who’s class would you rather have.?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:09 PM
View it this way
Who’s class would you rather have.?

The recruiting rankings say I would rather have Ole Miss' &, when you consider the recent success of both programs, that's a big problem

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Maybe there is more excitement at Arky and Tenn is because their fans are behind their team and coaching staff
Maybe we should try that here and see what happens.

If JMC isn’t the guy then he will be replaced soon enough.. I’m not judging the guy after one year. If some of you want to then that’s fine.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Then you're crazy. I was at that game, and we were as unprepared offensively as I've ever seen us look. The offense was struggling like Crxxm was the coach. No one in that stadium wearing maroon felt like the offense was ever going to score. Moorhead took a team who's floor should have been AT WORST 9 Ws before the bowl game, but realistically 10 or 11, and only won 8. If he couldn't produce points and win with last year's team, he isn't going to win. It's really that simple. 6-6 is about the best we'll do this year.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Maybe there is more excitement at Arky and Tenn is because their fans are behind their team and coaching staff

If JMC isn’t the guy then he will be replaced soon enough.. I’m not judging the guy after one year. If some of you want to then that’s fine.

I totally agree.

Just need some identity to get behind. I don't know what I'd be supporting right now.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
The recruiting rankings say I would rather have Ole Miss' &, when you consider the recent success of both programs, that's a big problem

Check out the recruiting rankings after we won the gator bowl for the first time.. with all the hype and excitement after that year you would have thought Mullen would have wiped the floor with OM ..
Point is it doesn’t matter until we all pull the rope in the same direction . Which we don’t do

msstate7
05-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Check out the recruiting rankings after we won the gator bowl for the first time.. with all the hype and excitement after that year you would have thought Mullen would have wiped the floor with OM ..
Point is it doesn’t matter until we all pull the rope in the same direction . Which we don’t do

Let's hope this class can match the 2011 class: dak, jrob, Preston smith, McKinney, slay, and Calhoun.

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 12:22 PM
24 months ago. Personally, I'm excited and interested - but I am less hyped up than last year.

Did a quick look at the board from May 2017. Not a ton of chatter about football, but I did find this one.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?55373-This-will-make-a-few-heads-explode

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Point is it doesn?t matter until we all pull the rope in the same direction . Which we don?t do

Again, I definitely want us all pulling in the same direction as well. I just don't know what direction that is.

What is the direction of this program?

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2019, 12:24 PM

THIS. Couldn't have said it any better myself. This hire is on the verge of destroying a decade's worth of progress. It's there for everyone to see. And let's not forget basically all our top offensive coaches, the few that I felt were legitimately good at their jobs, left for other positions. Combine our DL coach jumping to Bama, too, and it feels like everyone who can get off the SS Moorhead is getting off as fast as they can. Whether it's true or not, that's certainly the perception.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Then you're crazy. I was at that game, and we were as unprepared offensively as I've ever seen us look. The offense was struggling like Crxxm was the coach. No one in that stadium wearing maroon felt like the offense was ever going to score. Moorhead took a team who's floor should have been AT WORST 9 Ws before the bowl game, but realistically 10 or 11, and only won 8. If he couldn't produce points and win with last year's team, he isn't going to win. It's really that simple. 6-6 is about the best we'll do this year.

You are completely out of touch with reality.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:27 PM
You are completely out of touch with reality.

What is reality?

gravedigger
05-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Newsflash nobody is going to or wants to join a group that is constantly griping about something as trivial as what an athletics team is possibly going to accomplish 4 months from now.

So save yourself the obvious misery and quit following the teams or take it for what it is: entertainment.

All , yes ALL of our major sports teams are doing quite well and get this: people like to enjoy it and feel good. Except for a few crybabys who enjoy each other?s company, just about everyone hates to be around the chronic bitchers.

Good Lord.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 12:35 PM
What is reality?

A team that is going to go 8-4, a team ranked in the top 25 preseason in 2 polls, a top 25 recruiting class, and a need for a qb and a wide receiver.

Ari Gold
05-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Let's hope this class can match the 2011 class: dak, jrob, Preston smith, McKinney, slay, and Calhoun.

Agree... And what were their composite star rankings at the time we signed them ?? Exactly

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Part of the issue is that we need new stars & leaders.

We seem a little starless right now. Kylin & Errol are really good players, & the other really good players are mostly JUCO guys that we don't really know very well.

The team & program simply have no identity right now, & until it does, it's going to feel sleepy

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Again, I definitely want us all pulling in the same direction as well. I just don't know what direction that is.

What is the direction of this program?

And therein lies the problem. Moorhead came in talking about ring sizes and championships and as a fan base that's where we set our expectation level at. Which is fine, because with the talent we had coming back that wasn't a inconceivable possibility. But now with how the season went and the offensive ineptitude it's caused a lot of people, myself included at times, to wonder just what the hell we're doing. If you've ever seen Hoosiers it's very similar to the scene where Cletus looks at Norman Dale and says "Norm, I really hope you know what the hell you're doing out there". I think we'll be fine in the long run. I think if Moorhead can get people who can run his system he can be successful and elevate us. I just don't know how long that will take and it's like Shotgun stated, we can't wait til the boulder gets to rolling down the hill so fast we can't stop it.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Is there a coach that would make you happy? What result last year is acceptable for a first time SEC Head Coach (pretty much the only type of coach we would get unless you get a washed up guy like Tubberville)? UK and UF were both 1 possession games in the 4th quarter so if we happen to make one play in each game and end up at 10 wins instead of 8, does that make you happy? The Iowa game was literally Guidry dropping a TD with less than 2 minutes left from being a win. If he catches that ball then we almost double what Iowa was giving up per game.

So does 3 plays define whether you think Moorhead is a bust or the right hire? In 2014, there were several plays that ended up going our way that would have been the difference in the game. Is Mullen a better coach because the LSU WR dropped a pass that would have been the game winning TD? How about the open field tackle Market made on the UK RB that would have been a TD late in the 4th quarter that would have probably won the game and ended our bowl streak?

The games we won last year, there wasn't any of those moments. Changing one play in every single game would either make us 10-3 or still 8-5. We just didn't make that one play. That is what gives me hope for this year.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Part of the issue is that we need new stars & leaders.

We seem a little starless right now. Kylin & Errol are really good players, & the other really good players are mostly JUCO guys that we don't really know very well.

The team & program simply have no identity right now, & until it does, it's going to feel sleepy

Another part of the issue is you are letting the internet cloud your judgement on the entire fan base. The internet isn’t even 10 % of our fans. It is the people who are extreme die hards. You can’t really judge things on us. I mean you can, but you won’t get a true pulse of the common fan.

thf24
05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
And let's not forget basically all our top offensive coaches, the few that I felt were legitimately good at their jobs, left for other positions.

What did Getsy do that impressed you?

eta: Honestly, not sure Hud made much of an impact this time around either.

gravedigger
05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Another part of the issue is you are letting the internet cloud your judgement on the entire fan base. The internet isn’t even 10 % of our fans. It is the people who are extreme die hards. You can’t really judge things on us. I mean you can, but you won’t get a true pulse of the common fan.

Absolutely

Maroonthirteen
05-08-2019, 01:07 PM
What is reality?

I?m bored. My .02....

We were a very talented team Defensively and limited offensively. 8 wins was a good season. However change the game plan vs Florida and catch a pass vs Iowa and we are 10 win team.

It?s a fine line. Joe had an opportunity for birdie but he missed the putt. However we walk away with par.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 01:08 PM

How many times in the last 15 years have we finished higher than that? I think it is around 1 or 2 so how did your expectations get increased when we had a new staff that had to make new connections. We also had several of our coaches bought right out from under us along with UM having the same normal issues $$$$$$$. UM as a university is fully committed to doing whatever it takes (red backpacks) while our compliance staff will drop a bomb on any issue.

confucius say
05-08-2019, 01:09 PM

If our fan base is at the point where 8-4, 9-3 is nothing to get excited over anymore, maybe the problem is with us and not the program

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Agree... And what were their composite star rankings at the time we signed them ?? Exactly

Their rankings were very low.

And that's why you just made a point against yourself: You've defending our class relative to Arky/OM by being adamant that avg. rating per player is the only metric that should count, (even though they'd win that battle if we took just the top 21 players from their class).

The fact the 2011 class had 6 low rated studs in it is proof that the bottom of a class matters too... the fact we signed 21 means we lost the opportunity to find those underrated future studs... even if bringing in a few .8200-.8500 guys would've brought down our per player average to their level, it still would have made the class overall better.

So at the end of the day, Arky and OM have A) better classes per the rankings, B) a near as makes no difference equal per player rating if you take the top 21, and C) they got some potential late bloomers and we didn't.

BUT EVEN THEN it doesn't matter if you say our class was the best of the 3. Personally I still think it was. The problem is that all 3 classes are comparable in the first place. We should have blown both those programs out of the water yet we didn't despite you personally praising the recruiting efforts of the staff and the emphasis Moorhead was placing on it

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 01:21 PM

So the Iowa game was interesting. We were very hit or miss.

Iowa (#7 in Total Defense) averaged giving up 17 points, 293 yards per game, 4.56 yards per play, 184 passing yards per game, 109 rushing yards per game.

In the Outback Bowl, MSU scored 22 points, dropped a wide open TD that would have won the game at 29 points, 342 yards total, 4.6 yards per play, 152 passing yards (below their average), 190 rushing yards.

So even though "MSU Sucked on offense" we were better in almost EVERY SINGLE STAT than they normally gave up. Iowa was a good team that still needed us to drop a TD to win that game. We also had our defense finally look human in giving up a 75 yard play and have their worst game of the year.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 01:22 PM

The problem is that class would get Moorhead fired right now.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Talk about losing more interest among some fans. The day they start paying college athletes a salary, a lot of fans will remove themselves. How much of a stipend is enough?

msstate7
05-08-2019, 01:33 PM
The problem is that class would get Moorhead fired right now.

Yeah right. We won't fire Moorhead if he gets to 6-6. We're a pretty low pressure school compared to our conference neighbors

KOdawg1
05-08-2019, 01:35 PM
I like JoMo, so don't take this post as me bashing him because I don't like him, because that's not true. But he's a boring guy. He's from the northeast, he uses big words that half of the fanbase doesn't understand, he talks in 3's, and he isn't the fiery, expressive coach that people want or think he should be. Do I think he can be successful? Sure. Do I think he will be? Meh. He needs to start showing signs of life on the offensive side of the ball, and he better do it quickly, which I think is why he's wanting to bring Stevens in.

We wouldn't be winning the West, but had we hired Jeremy Pruitt, there probably would be more excitement surrounding the program since he's a fiery guy who can rile up the fanbase. I'm not saying he would've been a better hire because it's simply to early to say that right now. But like others have said, we're at a standstill right now as a program, and we need someone or something to get things rolling again.

confucius say
05-08-2019, 01:37 PM
What is reality?

It's not thinking our realistic floor last year was 10-2, 11-1. I mean holy hell.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Yeah right. We won't fire Moorhead if he gets to 6-6. We're a pretty low pressure school compared to our conference neighbors

Are we? Arkansas kept Bert for 5 years winning 6-7 games a year. Tennessee kept Butch for the same amount of time winning the same amount. Vandy would be thrilled to find a coach that can consistently win 6-7 games a year. Ole miss hired a coach for winning the Egg Bowl and going 6-6. Kentucky has had Stoops forever and he averages 6 wins or so a year.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 01:39 PM
I like JoMo, so don't take this post as me bashing him because I don't like him, because that's not true. But he's a boring guy. He's from the northeast, he uses big words that half of the fanbase doesn't understand, he talks in 3's, and he isn't the fiery, expressive coach that people want or think he should be. Do I think he can be successful? Sure. Do I think he will be? Meh. He needs to start showing signs of life on the offensive side of the ball, and he better do it quickly, which I think is why he's wanting to bring Stevens in.

We wouldn't be winning the West, but had we hired Jeremy Pruitt, there probably would be more excitement surrounding the program since he's a fiery guy who can rile up the fanbase. I'm not saying he would've been a better hire because it's simply to early to say that right now. But like others have said, we're at a standstill right now as a program, and we need someone or something to get things rolling again.

Jeremy Pruitt will be an analyst for Nick Saban in 3 or 4 years.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Are we? Arkansas kept Bert for 5 years winning 6-7 games a year. Tennessee kept Butch for the same amount of time winning the same amount. Vandy would be thrilled to find a coach that can consistently win 6-7 games a year. Ole miss hired a coach for winning the Egg Bowl and going 6-6. Kentucky has had Stoops forever and he averages 6 wins or so a year.

Doubt we fire Bret Bielema for going 4-8 after 3 straight winning seasons.

I know we wouldn't have fired butch jones at 4-6 after back-to-back 9-win seasons and 3 straight bowls.

OM was in no shape to go after a new HC after a 6-6 season, on probation, and 3 sec teams without a coach at the time.

Vandy is even easier than our job as far as expectations... harder to meet those expectations though

Kentucky and state are pretty equal imo as far as pressure

KOdawg1
05-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Jeremy Pruitt will be an analyst for Nick Saban in 3 or 4 years.

You could say the same about Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Another part of the issue is you are letting the internet cloud your judgement on the entire fan base. The internet isn?t even 10 % of our fans. It is the people who are extreme die hards. You can?t really judge things on us. I mean you can, but you won?t get a true pulse of the common fan.

Maybe, but I would say with about 90% certainty that the internet crowd is the most informed portion of our fan base

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 01:57 PM
How many times in the last 15 years have we finished higher than that? I think it is around 1 or 2 so how did your expectations get increased when we had a new staff that had to make new connections. We also had several of our coaches bought right out from under us along with UM having the same normal issues $$$$$$$. UM as a university is fully committed to doing whatever it takes (red backpacks) while our compliance staff will drop a bomb on any issue.

How many times in the last 15 years have we had 16 in-state 4/5 star recruits?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 01:58 PM
If our fan base is at the point where 8-4, 9-3 is nothing to get excited over anymore, maybe the problem is with us and not the program

It's way more about the direction of our program IMO than what our record was last year

Randolph Dupree
05-08-2019, 02:00 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I am one of those fans that thought about not renewing my season tickets this year (I've had them for 15 years). Some of That is probably due to the way last year played out, but I think some of it is just fatigue too. I think a lot of fans might feel the same way. My family has an incredible set up for football as far as a place to stay, tailgate etc. we have it better than most but it's still a long, intense day and all too often we can predict the outcome in advance of the game (with the exception of a few games each year)

Honestly, if I have a chance to get chairbacks for baseball in the next year or two I will forgo football tickets and go with baseball.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 02:04 PM
You could say the same about Moorhead.

And you would be wrong.

HoopsDawg
I can only speak for myself, but I am one of those fans that thought about not renewing my season tickets this year (I've had them for 15 years). Some of That is probably due to the way last year played out, but I think some of it is just fatigue too. I think a lot of fans might feel the same way. My family has an incredible set up for football as far as a place to stay, tailgate etc. we have it better than most but it's still a long, intense day and all too often we can predict the outcome in advance of the game (with the exception of a few games each year)

Honestly, if I have a chance to get chairbacks for baseball in the next year or two I will forgo football tickets and go with baseball.

exactly. why would i waste an entire day and go thru all of the hassle to watch abiliene christian. that game is an embarrassment. all teams have a game like this on the schedule. Go back to 11 games, get rid of the conference championships and expand to 16 playoff teams. pandora's box has been opened and there's no going back now.

timotheus
good luck with the baseball chairbacks

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Talk about losing more interest among some fans. The day they start paying college athletes a salary, a lot of fans will remove themselves. How much of a stipend is enough?

Why would fans lose interest with players making money?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 02:08 PM
It's not thinking our realistic floor last year was 10-2, 11-1. I mean holy hell.

You think too much in terms of record.

I have not mentioned a record at any point here.

I expect to be having success on the recruiting trail with 90+ rated players, have an offensive identity, & have QBs in the pipeline that look like impact players.

Whatever record that leads to is whatever, but that combination at least gives us a punchers chance at competing for something beyond a mid-tier bowl game.

That's my expectation

Jarius
05-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Doubt we fire Bret Bielema for going 4-8 after 3 straight winning seasons.

I know we wouldn't have fired butch jones at 4-6 after back-to-back 9-win seasons and 3 straight bowls.

OM was in no shape to go after a new HC after a 6-6 season, on probation, and 3 sec teams without a coach at the time.

Vandy is even easier than our job as far as expectations... harder to meet those expectations though

Kentucky and state are pretty equal imo as far as pressure

Yea, if we go 7-6, 8-5, then 4-8 like Bert did Joe will be fired.

You are discounting the fact with butch that he also had losing season and a 7-6 season in front of those 9 win seasons, which makes a difference. He also played in a really weak SEC East.If Joe goes 5-7, 7-6, 9-4,9-4,4-8 he is probably getting canned. He may get another year for being in the West, but I doubt it.

Ole Miss could have hired someone better than Matt Luke to run their program. That’s nonsense.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 02:09 PM

I am referring to if those recruits were the best players you signed then your class is probably in the 30s to 40s which some of Mullen's classes were. We have people wanting Joe fired for having the 24th rated class after a 8 win season.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 02:11 PM
I am referring to if those recruits were the best players you signed then your class is probably in the 30s to 40s which some of Mullen's classes were. We have people wanting Joe fired for having the 24th rated class after a 8 win season.

Not sure who is calling for joe to be fired. I think there's some major concern over him, but haven't saw anyone really pushing for him to be fired

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 02:12 PM
I think it's too early to make any grand declarations about Moorhead right now. This year will tell us an awful lot.

However, as I stated with the illustration in the original post: this program is as boring as 17 right. We nappin...

KOdawg1
05-08-2019, 02:13 PM
And you would be wrong.

Just as wrong as you. Like I said, it's too early to judge either's future success.

msstate7
Yea, if we go 7-6, 8-5, then 4-8 like Bert did Joe will be fired.

You are discounting the fact with butch that he also had losing season and a 7-6 season in front of those 9 win seasons, which makes a difference. He also played in a really weak SEC East.If Joe goes 5-7, 7-6, 9-4,9-4,4-8 he is probably getting canned.

Ole Miss could have hired someone better than Matt Luke to run their program. That’s nonsense.

We were at 4-7 going into the 2016 egg bowl. You saying Mullen would've been fired had he lost that game? I don't agree

ShotgunDawg

But Mullen recruited in the 30s & 40s coming off the Croom era.

To evaluate Moorhead under the same circumstances is not taking the status of the program into account

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Joe has a great opportunity this year because I feel as though the expectations for him & his team may actually be lower than what they are capable of.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 02:17 PM
How many times in the last 15 years have we had 16 in-state 4/5 star recruits?

With almost entire new staff recruiting and when have we outrecruited Bama, Auburn, UGA, and LSU for any recruit regardless of where they live? You still have UM outright buying players so those guys are off the table unless you are one of the others I mentioned since they also will open up the check book.

You act like Mullen had MS on lock down, the problem is most of the time there wasn't more than 1 or 2 guys that Bama and UGA wanted and they still got those guys. Just because there were more of them doesn't mean that those schools wouldn't take them.

I don't know if Mullen ever outrecruited someone for an Olineman of Cross's caliber. Pickering was probably similar to Simmons but we have a better track record of putting Dline in the league. Schrader is about as high ranked a QB as we have gotten lately. Moorhead did at least as well as Mullen and it was his first true recruiting cycle. I don't know why it hurts you to admit that maybe we upgraded in that area as far as getting the "recruiting stars".

CadaverDawg
05-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Newsflash nobody is going to or wants to join a group that is constantly griping about something as trivial as what an athletics team is possibly going to accomplish 4 months from now.

So save yourself the obvious misery and quit following the teams or take it for what it is: entertainment.

All , yes ALL of our major sports teams are doing quite well and get this: people like to enjoy it and feel good. Except for a few crybabys who enjoy each other?s company, just about everyone hates to be around the chronic bitchers.

Good Lord.

Interesting.

Like I said, some aren't quite there yet.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Just as wrong as you. Like I said, it's too early to judge either's future success.

I would be willing to bet a lot that I’m correct, especially on pruitt.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 02:32 PM
We were at 4-7 going into the 2016 egg bowl. You saying Mullen would've been fired had he lost that game? I don't agree

Mullen had 6 years of positive equity built up. Butch had 2 in a shitty division. That’s not the same.

KOdawg1
05-08-2019, 02:34 PM
I would be willing to bet a lot that I’m correct, especially on pruitt.

Bet all you want, I'm just saying the jury is still out on both. For the record, I didn't say that we should've hired Pruitt. Just that he brings more excitement which is what the OP addressed.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 02:36 PM
What excitement? He went 5-7 with a team that outrecruits us every single year in a division that isn’t as strong as ours. He talks like a bumpkin and doesn’t know what asparagus is. Thank God we didn’t hire him. He was Tennessee’s 15th choice. He just got boatraced by Vandy and Missouri by about 50 points combined.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 02:37 PM

To evaluate Moorhead under the same circumstances is not taking the status of the program into account
ESPN rankings
#23 in 2009 (UM#22), Not in top 25 in 2010 (UM # 25), Not in top 25 in 2011 (UM #25), Not in top 25 in 2012 (UM not either), Finally ranked again #25 in 2013(UM #5), #36 in 2014 (UM #17), #16 in 2015 #1 ranking finally paying off (UM #19 finally ranked higher and it only took Mullen 7 years), #33 in 2016 (UM # 4), #24 in 2017 (UM #36 Thank you NCAA investigation), #27 in 2018 (Moorhead closing out that class) (UM # 33), and finally #24 in 2019 (Moorhead's first complete class) (UM # 21 F U NCAA slight slap on wrist, pocketbooks wide open again).

So comparing recruiting, Mullen's 2nd best class was actually Croom's class that Mullen added Chad Bumphis. He did hold onto recruits similar to Moorhead although Mullen didn't have Croom taking a blue blood job and trying to take recruits with him. Mullen's best classes were ranked #16 (after we were #1 in the country), #23 with Croom's recruits, and then #24 in his 9th year as coach. Moorhead has already pretty much equaled what Mullen has done in recruiting in his first full year other than in 2015.

jacksondawg
05-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Why doesn’t our athletic department nut up and just pull an om? Just don’t be as blatant about it and there probably won’t be any repercussions. If we have come to the conclusion that we can not compete with the likes of Alabama LSU Auburn on a consistent basis then we need to to start playing the game better.

And that is my rant for the day

KOdawg1
05-08-2019, 02:43 PM
What excitement? He went 5-7 with a team that outrecruits us every single year in a division that isn’t as strong as ours. He talks like a bumpkin and doesn’t know what asparagus is. Thank God we didn’t hire him. He was Tennessee’s 15th choice. He just got boatraced by Vandy and Missouri by about 50 points combined.

Again I say, I'm not saying we should've hired him over Moorhead.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Let me correct myself, Cohen wouldn't fire Moorhead but the intensity on the message boards would be cranked up to 11 especially from people that think he should be fired after winning 8 games with the #24 recruiting class.

Randolph Dupree
05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
good luck with the baseball chairbacks

I'm on the list in a decent spot. Just takes a couple of folks to not renew for whatever reason. Same way I got tickets in the old stadium.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 02:59 PM
Why doesn?t our athletic department nut up and just pull an om? Just don?t be as blatant about it and there probably won?t be any repercussions. If we have come to the conclusion that we can not compete with the likes of Alabama LSU Auburn on a consistent basis then we need to to start playing the game better.

agreed. almost no downside. let's say we get caught, get hammered with sanctions, so what we only win 5 or 6 games instead of 7 or 8?

Gutter Cobreh
05-08-2019, 03:00 PM
What is reality?

The reality is that you keep coming up with different ways to discuss the same bullshit over and over and over.... have you ever thought that it's ****ing May and not even Alabama fans give a shit about football right now. For the love of all that is holy, we have a TOP 5 baseball team currently in the middle of their season yet all you want to fixate on is whether the 2nd year coach is bringing excitement to the ****ing football program.

Step outside, enjoy the weather, and maybe catch a baseball game before the season ends. While you don't seem to enjoy any MSU teams that are actually having success, the rest of us prefer to support the school and the kids during the season in which they are playing. Once we start fall practice, then football chatter can crank up. Right now though, I'd prefer to support this awesome baseball team during their season and enjoy watching them play over dwelling on our football program during it's dead period.

Jarius
05-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Again I say, I'm not saying we should've hired him over Moorhead.

I know you are not. I am saying he would not bring more excitement. Maybe before the year, but certainly not after it because he would have probably done worse.

Randolph Dupree
05-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Let me correct myself, Cohen wouldn't fire Moorhead but the intensity on the message boards would be cranked up to 11 especially from people that think he should be fired after winning 8 games with the #24 recruiting class.
If we have a losing season, or a 6-6 type year with a couple of bad losses Jo will be fired. The dynamic has changed, this decision is no longer solely about football. There are significant economic consequences. We can not afford to go through another Croom type of down turn. The success of the local and surrounding economies is tied to athletics and football is the main driver.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, I very much believe this to be the case. But if he has two years where he wins 8 with a team that should've won 10, and he wins fewer than 8 with a team everyone in the media is hyping as preseason Top 20, he should be gone. But I'm out of touch with reality, apparently.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Bingo. Moorhead himself said one of the major reasons he took this job is that it isn't supposed to be a rebuild and that Mullen had laid a foundation of success. And Mullen had earned a mulligan year after a long string of successful seasons. Plus he had QB drama affecting that 2016 team (at least partially of his own making, admittedly). You could look at the roster and knew the next 2 years should be really good, with last year potentially being very special.

Percho
05-08-2019, 03:17 PM
It's not even about that to me. It's not about blaming JoMo, Fitz, or anyone else.

Just seems like the program is taking a nap.

Maybe! Just maybe! It is the quite before the S T O R M.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 03:24 PM
If you wait for the pouring to stop, your program may be too fair down to quickly revive.

Not saying that's the case, but it certainly could be

Ok. So what would not waiting do? What would firing a coach after his first year do to the program? Especially when everyone, outside of some of our irrational fans, would veiw it as idiotic? What kind of coach would we get then? Who would want to come here then. Remember we are a big enough program to bring in a big time proven head coach.

So we hire another unknown up and comer or an old rethread buying time till he retires?

So fire a coach that met expectations his first year......only because he didn't exceed in his first year....only to replace him with another coordinator. That would be a unbelievably stupid move. And since we don't know yet what we got, y'all's freakout is absurd.

There is excitement around Arky and UT because they have been dumpster fires. The ONLY reason there is no excitement with our program, is because we just had the best 10 year run in our history and a bunch of yall are mentally predisposed to think its over. That we can never get there again....so you are still just dealing with Mullen leaving. You are creating drama and swimming in self pity. Get over it.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Bingo. Moorhead himself said one of the major reasons he took this job is that it isn't supposed to be a rebuild and that Mullen had laid a foundation of success. And Mullen had earned a mulligan year after a long string of successful seasons. Plus he had QB drama affecting that 2016 team (at least partially of his own making, admittedly). You could look at the roster and knew the next 2 years should be really good, with last year potentially being very special.

Nick Saban won 6 regular season games and it wasn't like Bama sucked at recruiting before he got there. You don't go from 7 wins to 12 wins with shitty talent. Mike Shula had won 6 games the year before so Saban didn't improve their regular season record either.

Kirby Smart won 8 games when Richt had won 10 the year before.

I guess according to all the geniuses on this message board both of those guys get shitcanned. They inherited too much talent to have a let down season in their first year. Hell, Saban lost to Sylvester 17ing Croom so he must be a moron.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 03:40 PM
The reality is that you keep coming up with different ways to discuss the same bullshit over and over and over.... have you ever thought that it's ****ing May and not even Alabama fans give a shit about football right now. For the love of all that is holy, we have a TOP 5 baseball team currently in the middle of their season yet all you want to fixate on is whether the 2nd year coach is bringing excitement to the ****ing football program.

Step outside, enjoy the weather, and maybe catch a baseball game before the season ends. While you don't seem to enjoy any MSU teams that are actually having success, the rest of us prefer to support the school and the kids during the season in which they are playing. Once we start fall practice, then football chatter can crank up. Right now though, I'd prefer to support this awesome baseball team during their season and enjoy watching them play over dwelling on our football program during it's dead period.

I was wondering when your grumpy ass would chime in.

Good to see you made it & managed to keep alive your streak of posts where you attack people instead of just debating the subject

Never change

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Once we start fall practice, then football chatter can crank up.

Yes Sir!!!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xT5LMNg4Y1hyHCeCEE/giphy.gif

Bothrops
05-08-2019, 04:37 PM
now everyone is resigned to a fate of finishing no better than 3rd or 4th in the West for eternity.

With the way our division mates recruit that should be of no surprise.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Why doesn?t our athletic department nut up and just pull an om? Just don?t be as blatant about it and there probably won?t be any repercussions. If we have come to the conclusion that we can not compete with the likes of Alabama LSU Auburn on a consistent basis then we need to to start playing the game better.

Why don't you? Isn't that one way this works. Alums buy players cars and things.

Open up your checkbook. Add a bunch of zeros. Hook up some HS players for us

In others words, nut up and stop wanting others to do what you want. Nobody here is going to stop you

MaroonFlounder
05-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Shotgun never goes to games, and has the nerve to call the program asleep. GTFOOH.

msu15
05-08-2019, 06:09 PM
You are one weird cat Shotgun, I’ll give you that.

Gutter Cobreh
05-08-2019, 06:53 PM
I was wondering when your grumpy ass would chime in.

Good to see you made it & managed to keep alive your streak of posts where you attack people instead of just debating the subject

Never change

How many threads have you started where you already have your mind made up? Don't try to disguise this as a topic you want to gather opinions on and don't deflect. Why aren't you focused on our nationally ranked baseball team that's actually playing within their season? Why are you bringing up football during the most dead time of the year for that sport? It's because you just want something to bitch about.

HancockCountyDog
05-08-2019, 07:26 PM

I think our realistic floor last year was 8-5.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 07:30 PM
I think our realistic floor last year was 8-5.

At MSU, when you play top 25 teams it is a toss up at best. We won 2 toss ups and lost 3 with Bama always as a loss.

gravedigger
05-08-2019, 07:57 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/xT5LMEMzdKTE2a6xfG/giphy.gif

Just curious: what does the football program need to be doing now and hat would change your mind?

Coaches are recruiting. Baseball is what we are promoting people to attend.

Is there something about the gameday experience that can be improved?

I mean like traffic flow patterns or parking priorities, shuttle routes etc.

I know losing carts was a big irritant, but that one is really out of the university?s hands. It?s a safety/liability issue.

Also, I haven?t seen the ?hype? videos or discussion of uniforms or future opponents like we did in the past...so maybe you have a point.

On the recruiting and talent side, to tell you the truth, discussion of kids who haven?t begun their Junior year in high school is just absurd.

But maybe you mean something I havnt mentioned.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Alex Adams, possibly our best commit, just decommitted.

So carry on. This staff sucks

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 08:14 PM
You are one weird cat Shotgun, I?ll give you that.

Ha, Shotgun can be a pain but he does bring some good info and some good topics to discuss. Sometimes I'm on his side on takes (even when he's getting slammed) and sometimes I'm not.

I don't think his OP was really worth posting. I think he knew it would be another horse beating. What's accomplished?

I swear, we are the least "all in" online fanbase in the conference. We had these threads all through recruiting season. We're trying to recruit a grad transfer and a vocal minority shits on Joe and the recruit at every turn.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:23 PM

I'm not sure I can describe what "it" is, but I'm gonna go on record & say that JoMo ain't got it.

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure I can describe what "it" is, but I'm gonna go on record & say that JoMo ain't got it.

We got it. When you start replying to your own emotional "Joe sucks" post with another Joe sucks post, you might want to go take a nap like Homer.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 08:30 PM

QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1102765]I'm not sure I can describe what "it" is, but I'm gonna go on record & say that JoMo ain't got it.[/QUOTE]

So you were lying a couple of hours ago when you said you didn't have you mind made up about Moorhead?

Or did you make your mind up in the last two hours?

Or are you just more wishy-washy than a 12 year old girl?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:31 PM
We got it.

Agree we got it, but JoMo lacks the charisma. There is a clear disconnect with what he's selling & the recruits.

He's got this season to show me that his coaching can overcome bland, non-exciting recruiting or I'm completely out on this dude. Good guy, but just lacks it.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:33 PM
QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1102765]I'm not sure I can describe what "it" is, but I'm gonna go on record & say that JoMo ain't got it.

So you were lying a couple of hours ago when you said you didn't have you mind made up about Moorhead?

Or are you just more wishy-washy than a 12 year old girl?[/QUOTE]

I just made my mind up.

I think this staff sucks. They clearly just don't have it & it becomes more evident everyday.

Something is clearly missing. Wish I knew what it was but I don't

It's fairly simple to realize that your program either has momentum & is building something or for whatever reason things just aren't moving forward. I wish I could accurately explain why, but I can't.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Why did the guy decommit? It sucks but once again, we rarely win in recruiting against the big boys. Mullen wouldn't even recruit those type of players unless there was a special connection.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Or are you just more wishy-washy than a 12 year old girl?

I just made my mind up.

I think this staff sucks. They clearly just don't have it & it becomes more evident everyday.

Something is clearly missing. Wish I knew what it was but I don't[/QUOTE]

It is being a big time program or the UM way $$$$$$$$. You don't see very many high 4 or 5 stars signing with anyone outside of those top 15 programs.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Why did the guy decommit? It sucks but once again, we rarely win in recruiting against the big boys. Mullen wouldn't even recruit those type of players unless there was a special connection.

He's an in-state kid.

Again, he's a freaking in-state kid

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 08:36 PM
I just made my mind up.

Something is clearly missing. Wish I knew what it was but I don't

It is being a big time program or the UM way $$$$$$$$. You don't see very many high 4 or 5 stars signing with anyone outside of those top 15 programs.[/QUOTE]

Well, if that's how you want to relegate our program & hold coaches to lesser standards, than have at it. He's an in-state kid

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:39 PM
He's an in-state kid.

Again, he's a freaking in-state kid

Again, if Bama wants someone then it doesn't give a damn where they are from. So who the 17 would you hire that isn't buying players like Freeze that is going to win recruiting battles against Bama and UGA? That coach doesn't exist in the college world today. Mullen just didn't waste his time unless he had some type of in with them.

Homedawg
05-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Well at least there is something to talk about. I've said it once and I'll say it again, this staff busts their asses recruiting. The last didn't. However, this is a results oriented business. I hope it works out the effort means results. But so far not so much

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:54 PM
It is being a big time program or the UM way $$$$$$$$. You don't see very many high 4 or 5 stars signing with anyone outside of those top 15 programs.

Well, if that's how you want to relegate our program & hold coaches to lesser standards, than have at it. He's an in-state kid[/QUOTE]

And your standards are once again inflated over our history. Who could we hire that isn't going to improve recruiting without buying players? Redmond got 18 games from MSU when he would have gotten 6 games anywhere else in the SEC. We are hardliners when it comes to compliance. You are complaining about something that was worse under Mullen.

Cooterpoot
05-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Until we prove we can throw it around, we can forget WR recruiting. And that ain?t happening if we can?t upgrade at WR. This WR problem was created by the last staff. Going to be hard to overcome.

Homedawg
05-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Until we prove we can throw it around, we can forget WR recruiting. And that ain?t happening if we can?t upgrade at WR. This WR problem was created by the last staff. Going to be hard to overcome.

If that's the case it goes back to croom.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:12 PM

By this reasoning, ealy should be signed with us.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:20 PM
By this reasoning, ealy should be signed with us.

But it only matters when it's a position we struggle to develop. It doesn't work in reverse with the positions we are good at developing

MaroonFlounder
05-08-2019, 09:31 PM
But it only matters when it's a position we struggle to develop. It doesn't work in reverse with the positions we are good at developing

Hey moron, we're losing to Memphis in baseball. Shouldn't you be bitching about that instead?

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Hey moron, we're losing to Memphis in baseball. Shouldn't you be bitching about that instead?

I wish this board would ban brutal posters that attack other posters instead of debating the topic at hand.

Why are you bitching about me instead of the baseball game?

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:36 PM
I wish this board would ban brutal posters that attack other posters instead of debating the topic at hand.

Why are you bitching about me instead of the baseball game?

Lord knows me and you butt heads on something almost daily, but I agree with the name calling stuff.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Lord knows me and you butt heads on something almost daily, but I agree with the name calling stuff.

That's different.

We argue but don't really attack each other. The ones that should be banned are the ones that come in, don't debate anything, & then name call.

I also think there is a low IQ, white trash group on this board that attack while making dumb points

jacksondawg
05-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Like I said earlier in my opinion we need to fire everyone in the compliance department and go all in. I mean 17 the ncaa sure has hell isn't going to do anything about it as long as we don’t start stealing the big oos 5* players out from under the blue bloods.

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Just had another decommitment \_(ツ)_/

jacksondawg
05-08-2019, 09:39 PM
And now lideatrick griffin just decommitted

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:41 PM
And now lideatrick griffin just decommitted

We are dead in the water

Not sure when it'll end

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
We are dead in the water

Nah brah, no one works harder than Moorhead... we'll finish this cycle with 15 solid players

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Nah brah, no one works harder than Moorhead... we'll finish this cycle with 15 solid players

Oh yeah, I forgot*

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 09:46 PM

I guess we need to start working on those diamond in the rough like Mullen did. On that note, UF fans are getting pissed at the lack of 5 stars in Mullen's recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Would you guys be in favor of firing Moorhead if he finishes below 35 in recruiting?

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:50 PM
I guess we need to start working on those diamond in the rough like Mullen did. On that note, UF fans are getting pissed at the lack of 5 stars in Mullen's recruiting.

We already are, dude. We have zero 4-stars. We only have 2 commits rated over 86; I don't count Patterson bc I seriously doubt he's in this class

RezDog7
05-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Would you guys be in favor of firing Moorhead if he finishes below 35 in recruiting?

Please tell me you're not serious.

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 09:52 PM
We already are, dude. We have zero 4-stars. We only have 2 commits rated over 86; I don't count Patterson bc I seriously doubt he's in this class

clown show

ShotgunDawg

It's like 2014 & 9 straight bowl games never happened

ShotgunDawg
Please tell me you're not serious.

Where would you draw the line?

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Your tag line is amusing. Why don't we do it with an internet poll?

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:55 PM

It would have to be in addition to a bad 2019 season. I wouldn't fire him for just bad recruiting ranking

jacksondawg
05-08-2019, 09:56 PM

I would see how the season goes this year and how the offense looks before I thought about firing him but finishing below 35 in the recruiting rankings does not help his chances what so ever.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 09:57 PM
I would see how the season goes this year and how the offense looks before I thought about firing him but finishing below 35 in the recruiting rankings does not help his chances what so ever.

Solid answer

DancingRabbit
05-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Or 2016

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Hey!!! On the bright side, now JoMo gets to do "More with Less"

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

It's so clear to any objective person that he's completely lost & has no plan

Dawgcap
05-08-2019, 10:09 PM
We won tonight in baseball

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Hey!!! On the bright side, now JoMo gets to do "More with Less"

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

It's so clear to any objective person that he's completely lost & has no plan

He’s an absolute joke.

Gutter Cobreh
05-08-2019, 10:18 PM

We have a great baseball team!! I wish more of our fans supported our entire athletics department, yet it seems while we're getting a clutch hit in the bottom of the 8th - some of our "fans" are too busy digging up old SI articles on our football coach instead of enjoying and celebrating the victory! I feel bad for folks like that...

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:19 PM

I woulda fired him after the Florida game last year lol.

Dawg2003
05-08-2019, 10:19 PM

It's scary how quickly you can tank a program, but it happens every year. And it happens to programs with much more success than us. Everyone is one bad coaching hire away from tanking their program.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 10:21 PM
It's scary how quickly you can tank a program, but it happens every year. And it happens to programs with much more success than us. Everyone is one bad coaching hire away from tanking their program.

If Moorhead does tank, does Cohen survive?

bluelightstar
05-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Probably. It's not like the Rick Ray hire; Moorhead, on paper, looked like a good hire. I probably wouldn't have gotten a coach whose offense requires superior QB and WR talent because we've never really recruited those players well. But I can see why Cohen did it.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I woulda fired him after the Florida game last year lol.

Firing one of the top offensive coordinators in college football after two losses would have been a great idea. I am sure we could have got Croom or one of the better high school coaches. Maybe Coach 34 would give us an alumni discount.

HoopsDawg
05-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Thx for the info. Good post.

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Firing one of the top offensive coordinators in college football after two losses would have been a great idea. I am sure we could have got Croom or one of the better high school coaches. Maybe Coach 34 would give us an alumni discount.

I take half the guys on this board over jomo at this point. His brilliant offensive mind turned out to be a dud.

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:31 PM

This guy gets it

Gutter Cobreh
05-08-2019, 10:32 PM

He does have all the trophies to decorate his office, so we'd save money on redecorating it after Joe moves out. Win/win

BeardoMSU
05-08-2019, 10:34 PM
I take half the guys on this board over jomo at this point. His brilliant offensive mind turned out to be a dud.

Using an Xbox controller and doing the real thing are a bit different...

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Yes, He gets 1 more shot to use what he learned from the Moorhead experience to make a better hire.

He used what he learned from the Canny experience to make what appears to be a better hire & my guess is that he would do the same with the football hire.

My general belief is that people can learn from their mistakes, but they don't get to make the same one twice.

So, in that spirit, Cohen would get one more try. If that one fails, he's out

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Using an Xbox controller and doing the real thing are a bit different...

Players can comprehend an “x box offense”. They can’t comprehend this stuff joe is peddling. Two players said out of their own mouth in class during spring that you gotta be a genius to even understand half of what morrhead says.

BeardoMSU
05-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Yes, He gets 1 more shot to use what he learned from the Moorhead experience to make a better hire.

He used what he learned from the Canny experience to make what appears to be a better hire & my guess is that he would do the same with the football hire.

My general belief is that people can learn from their mistakes, but they don't get to make the same one twice.

So, in that spirit, Cohen would get one more try. If that one fails, he's out

Not saying Moorhead will fail, but if he does...that's really not on Cohen. Literally everyone in the CF community loved the hire and assumed he'd be a rock star here. At the time, it was a home run. I still think he can adjust and be what we all hoped he could be, but I guess we'll see.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 10:44 PM
you gotta be a genius to even understand half of what morrhead says.

Well there it is. We know why you hate him so much. You can't understand anything he says.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Not saying Moorhead will fail, but if he does...that's really not on Cohen. Literally everyone in the CF community loved the hire and assumed he'd be a rock star here. At the time, it was a home run. I still think he can adjust and be what we all hoped he could be, but I guess we'll see.

I don't disagree with you but I would still expect him to use what he learned from Moorhead's hire to make a better one next time.

If he isn't capable of self reflecting, being honest with himself, & reverse engineering what he could have done differently & apply that to the next hire, then it's time for him to go.

I don't think they same guy, whether it's an AD or GM, gets to hire a 3rd coach after two bad hires

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 10:51 PM
I don't disagree with you but I would still expect him to use what he learned from Moorhead's hire to make a better one next time.

If he isn't capable of self reflecting, being honest with himself, & reverse engineering what he could have done differently & apply that to the next hire, then it's time for him to go.

I don't think they same guy, whether it's an AD or GM, gets to hire a 3rd coach after two bad hires

Cohen was one of the guys that interviewed Mullen. I believe Cohen was the person who said hire him right then.

preachermatt83
05-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Well there it is. We know why you hate him so much. You can't understand anything he says.

Lol. Good one.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Cohen was one of the guys that interviewed Mullen. I believe Cohen was the person who said hire him right then.

Look.... I wasn't in the room, but I can't imagine Byrne & Strickland allowed him to be anymore than a fly on the wall.

I think saying that he hired Mullen would fictional story

Gutter Cobreh
05-08-2019, 10:53 PM

And it's true. The Joe bashers either want a slick talking, used car salesman type of coach (ala Mullen) to tell them how they should feel while the others want someone who has been here in the past. Look at the thread you started asking who they'd hire next and you see Collins name pop up. The fact that people want a guy that left us prior to the Orange Bowl for a lateral position is preposterous.

I'm convinced that some have become so accustomed to having a coaching vacancy in some sport for them to debate tat when that isn't an option, they create drama just so they can debate who we should either have hired instead or will hire when the current coach is fired.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 10:56 PM
And it's true. The Joe bashers either want a slick talking, used car salesman type of coach (ala Mullen) to tell them how they should feel while the others want someone who has been here in the past. Look at the thread you started asking who they'd hire next and you see Collins name pop up. The fact that people want a guy that left us prior to the Orange Bowl for a lateral position is preposterous.

I'm convinced that some have become so accustomed to having a coaching vacancy in some sport for them to debate tat when that isn't an option, they create drama just so they can debate who we should either have hired instead or will hire when the current coach is fired.

Miss state to Florida is not a lateral move. Mullen's comment was dumb.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Not even gonna bother talking these guys off the ledge. They are already gone. Just dont try to come back up when August gets here

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:34 PM

Recruiting rankings win games. Its settled. Cancel the season

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:35 PM

If JMC isn?t the guy then he will be replaced soon enough.. I?m not judging the guy after one year. If some of you want to then that?s fine.

UT got murdered by Vandy, finished 5-7 and Arkansas went 2-10. If their fanbases have more excitement than ours does for 2019 then we dont deserve to win

yjnkdawg
05-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Like I said earlier in my opinion we need to fire everyone in the compliance department and go all in. I mean 17 the ncaa sure has hell isn't going to do anything about it as long as we don?t start stealing the big oos 5* players out from under the blue bloods.

Ole Miss would love for us to try that. We don't have the past history, the expertise or the experienced legal people that the schools who play and have played the game for many many years do (for OM go back to the Vaught years). You can take this to the bank. We do what you and a few other suggest on 17ing the NCAA ( and 5* player doesn't even come into the equation), and the OM Boosters/Lawyers would burn our football program.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:43 PM

I expect to be having success on the recruiting trail with 90+ rated players, have an offensive identity, & have QBs in the pipeline that look like impact players.

Whatever record that leads to is whatever, but that combination at least gives us a punchers chance at competing for something beyond a mid-tier bowl game.

That's my expectation

We have literally done all of that under Moorhead. Rating players is an opinion based deal so theres no way to say who is or not an impact player with 100 percent certainty until they get here. If you really want to be as smart as you seem to want people here to think, go watch the kids play on Friday nights, dont let 247 or any of these other sites, who just recently rated a kid as a 3 star who doesnt even exist, tell you who is good and who won the recruiting rankings battle..

As far as QBs in the pipeline, when Will Rogers plays in our 7 on 7 tournament this summer he will be the best passer we have on campus. Dont believe me? Go watch him and form an opinion for yourself

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-08-2019, 11:46 PM
Well it is May so.....

gravedigger
05-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Not even gonna bother talking these guys off the ledge. They are already gone. Just dont try to come back up when August gets here

I've got nothing but a blank stare. And they will be back with it. But for God's sake dont bring it up when they do. As inaccurate as they are about running an athletics department, they are just as sensitive about being reminded of the imbecilic predictions later.

Ari Gold
05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
UT got murdered by Vandy, finished 5-7 and Arkansas went 2-10. If their fanbases have more excitement than ours does for 2019 then we dont deserve to win

Agree...
but by reading this message board an outsider would think we went 4-8 last year

TrapGame
05-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Miss state to Florida is not a lateral move. Mullen's comment was dumb.

It's been my understanding that Geoff can't pissed off at Mullen for his constant meddling with the defense.

Bothrops
05-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Again, if Bama wants someone then it doesn't give a damn where they are from. So who the 17 would you hire that isn't buying players like Freeze that is going to win recruiting battles against Bama and UGA? That coach doesn't exist in the college world today. Mullen just didn't waste his time unless he had some type of in with them.

This is what will eventually destroy college football. Folks are starting to lose interest and that will increase in the future.

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2019, 10:47 AM
This is what will eventually destroy college football. Folks are starting to lose interest and that will increase in the future.

I understand that there is nothing anyone on this board, or any other board can do about it but me personally, I would love football if I knew Bama would win it all every year for the rest of time

ShotgunDawg
05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Outside of the actual on-field game, & that could be debated after what we saw at Bama last year, college football has become something of a "fixed sport" in a different form that what we are used to.

The typical "fixed sport" is where the integrity of the sport is sacrificed because players are on the take. ie: The Black Sox

However, the current recruiting situation in college football has basically led to the same situation. Due to the rules being applied differently depending on the school & the amount of money going out to acquire talent, the sport has basically been institutionally "fixed".

The sport won't survive long term & grow with this structure. People are losing interest because there is nothing to have interest in.

What is interesting about the same teams playing for the championship every year?

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Outside of the actual on-field game, & that could be debated after what we saw at Bama last year, college football has become something of a "fixed sport" in a different form that what we are used to.

The typical "fixed sport" is where the integrity of the sport is sacrificed because players are on the take. ie: The Black Sox

However, the current recruiting situation in college football has basically led to the same situation. Due to the rules being applied differently depending on the school & the amount of money going out to acquire talent, the sport has basically been institutionally "fixed".

The sport won't survive long term & grow with this structure. People are losing interest because there is nothing to have interest in.

What is interesting about the same teams playing for the championship every year?

There is a reason that Saban didn't last in the NFL. At Bama he basically has the equivalent of most picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round. Could you imagine if an NFL team basically was able to draft the best player at each position every year? Saban is not only a very good coach but he has a HUGE talent advantage on almost every team he ever plays.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Without question. If Lemonis had been a bust, I'd say his head should roll after hiring 3 straight duds, 2 in "his" sport and 1 in the money maker. But Lemonis looks like an absolute grand slam, so Cohen is safe.

BrunswickDawg
05-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Don't underestimate Collins at GT - this is his dream job http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26706900/waffle-house-morpheus-awakening-georgia-tech

And, as much as I like to rag on Tech - it's been proven that the right coach can win there. Hell, Paul Johnson won 11 there TWICE. Even Chan Gailey won 9 there. Chan F'n Gailey.

My uncle was in Bobby Dodd's last recruiting class, and was an All-American HS linebacker. He bleeds Tech - and he is as excited about this staff as I see him since the 1990 NC.

Lord McBuckethead
05-09-2019, 12:40 PM

I can agree with the "why even care" crowd. We should have contended last year. No doubt about it. We won 8, but the fact on how much we didn't compete in the other games far outweighs our winning 8 games.
Then you get to the spring game, offensive shit show continues.

What really sets all of this up is two facts. 1. the blown calls at the Bama game. They missed a clear fumble. They then called a phantom block in the back. Someone can argue that is a 21 pt swing. Add that to the out of bounds catch the year before when we should have beat them in Starkville, and you start to get the sense, why the 17 do we care. The 2nd fact is losing to UF in Starkville. If the Bama game is called fairly still losing by the way, and dude catches that pass against UF and we beat UF, everyone is singing a different tune this offseason. AS it is, we 17n suck at execution on offense and play calling against any defense with a 17n pulse. Case in point, we beat UK last year if we put a TE helping on Allen. Simple as that.

Lord McBuckethead
05-09-2019, 12:41 PM
But Moorhead didn't 17n understand how to help on UK DE Allen. That's the issue.

TALL DAWG
05-09-2019, 12:42 PM

PREACH ON GUTTER C!!

Some folks on here can?t seem to enjoy the success we?ve had in football for many years with more success is coming.

Meanwhile, animals were pairing off on Lakeland Drive at 11:00 today....

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Without question. If Lemonis had been a bust, I'd say his head should roll after hiring 3 straight duds, 2 in "his" sport and 1 in the money maker. But Lemonis looks like an absolute grand slam, so Cohen is safe.

It seems like Cohen has hired some other guys like the soccer and Men's golf. Both of those hires seem to be really good hires, not sure if there are more. Canni was actually a great hire until little Canni started making all of the decisions. If you told me that a baseball coach would inherit the players that Canni did and make a Super his first year while setting up top 5 classes for the next 3 years, I would say that was a great hire.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2019, 02:06 PM
It seems like Cohen has hired some other guys like the soccer and Men's golf. Both of those hires seem to be really good hires, not sure if there are more. Canni was actually a great hire until little Canni started making all of the decisions. If you told me that a baseball coach would inherit the players that Canni did and make a Super his first year while setting up top 5 classes for the next 3 years, I would say that was a great hire.

Fair points. Soccer coach, I assume, is the one that just led us to our first ever top 25 ranking and NCAAT appearance. Helluva hire. Men's golf, no clue. But when you miss on baseball and football at MSU, that's got to at least have people asking questions. But hitting on Lemonis has been big for him. I'll be honest, I was a little skeptical because it was so out of left field, but I'm glad I gave Lemon a chance. He's got us heading in a really good direction. But rightly or wrongly, ADs are judged on the Big 4 hires. And it's even more becoming the football hire that defines an AD.

I don't disagree about Cann as a coach. But there was some talk that maybe Cohen missed or ignored the off the field questions with Cann during the vetting process because he was so sure Cann would be a success and wanted the AD job so badly. And having Cann in his back pocket as his replacement was his silver bullet to replacing Grasshopper. If he didn't do his due diligence or turned a blind eye and hoped it would work out, that's not good to say the very least.

Right now, Cohen looks to be 1/3 on that front. Not great, but far from getting fired. Depending on how Moorhead progresses this year and how quickly Cohen acts to correct his mistake if it comes to that will tell us a whole lot about him as an AD. I just wish someone would get in his ear about the benefits of actually marketing your program(s) off the field. Improving them on the field is certainly the most important, but why do we have to choose between the two? We should be able to have both, like all the rest of our conference brethren.

StateDawg44
05-09-2019, 02:40 PM
But Moorhead didn't 17n understand how to help on UK DE Allen. That's the issue.

You do realize a lot of other teams didn't have an answer for Allen either all year?

While I agree that there were some basic things they should've at least tried, there were way more red flags in that game than just Allen burning us on the end.

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 02:51 PM
You do realize a lot of other teams didn't have an answer for Allen either all year?

While I agree that there were some basic things they should've at least tried, there were way more red flags in that game than just Allen burning us on the end.

The UK game also was the first game that Fitz actually struggled with the offense. Being an away game in steady rain wasn't the best for Fitz struggling to run the offense. It could be a bad memory but it seems like Fitz would roll out of the pocket and have 20 yards in front of him and he would still chunk the ball. His decision making in that game was complete garbage. I think that was a total team failure which falls to Moorhead.

confucius say
05-09-2019, 02:52 PM

That's my expectation

Was not aimed at you. You asked what was reality though, and the poster previously said our realistic floor was 10-2, 11-1. My point is he was not realistic or living in reality

confucius say
05-09-2019, 02:55 PM
It's way more about the direction of our program IMO than what our record was last year

That's fine. But if we go 8-4, 9-3 this year and that is nothing to get exited over (which is what he said) than that is our own fault as fans

TrapGame
05-09-2019, 03:19 PM
We were a victim of expectations last year. I'm going into this season with zero expectations, no hype and letting the chips fall. If we suck on offense again after two springs and fall camps of this offense I'll jump on the Joe's Gotta Go ship.

tcdog70
05-09-2019, 04:05 PM

the way to have played Allen--is we should have ran the ball down his throat. thus taking away his pass rushing skills.

Tbonewannabe
05-09-2019, 04:43 PM
the way to have played Allen--is we should have ran the ball down his throat. thus taking away his pass rushing skills.

Their defense was more than just Allen. They had 2 guys out of the secondary drafted day 2 also along with a lot of seniors on that team. They also held The GOD MULLEN to only 16 at UF so he didn't do much better than we did. They also didn't have to play in a rainstorm at UK.

HoopsDawg
05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Their defense was more than just Allen. They had 2 guys out of the secondary drafted day 2 also along with a lot of seniors on that team. They also held The GOD MULLEN to only 16 at UF so he didn't do much better than we did. They also didn't have to play in a rainstorm at UK.

but Allen wore us out all night. He completely destroyed our offense and we didn't make any adjustments until it was too late.

Goldendawg
05-09-2019, 05:38 PM
That's fine. But if we go 8-4, 9-3 this year and that is nothing to get exited over (which is what he said) than that is our own fault as fans

First game attended with my late SuperDawg Dad in 1963. 8 and 4 now my floor and 9 - 3 will always excite me in the regular season. Most of the "200 plus" bowl games no longer excite me at all, except as a reward for the players and more practice time for the team. Hail State!

DancingRabbit
05-09-2019, 06:14 PM
First game attended with my late SuperDawg Dad in 1963. 8 and 4 now my floor and 9 - 3 will always excite me in the regular season. Most of the "200 plus" bowl games no longer excite me at all, except as a reward for the players and more practice time for the team. Hail State!

You kinda like to spread your excitement out I suppose.

Just kidding, I'm not too far off from that. It has a lot to do with expectations. I'll take 8-4 for this year right now and be excited.

TUSK
05-09-2019, 09:03 PM
This thread has it all.... well, almost...

(wait for it...)

"REC doin' werk..."

yw

StateDawg44
05-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Yeah. That?s one way. But I wasn?t trying to offer up solutions of what we should?ve done since that topic has also been beaten to death. Just pointing out the fact that we didn?t lose the KY simply because we didn?t try to do anything about Allen like the post I quoted eluded to.

StarkVegasSteve
05-10-2019, 10:15 AM
The other problem in that UK game was the fact that we were constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long situations because of penalties. So they were able to pin their ears back and send 6 or 7. That game was a total disaster on all fronts.

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2019, 10:34 AM
The other problem in that UK game was the fact that we were constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long situations because of penalties. So they were able to pin their ears back and send 6 or 7. That game was a total disaster on all fronts.

The penalties did compound the problem of trying to force Fitz to throw in the rain. It was a perfect storm in every facet to give UK an advantage.

MedDawg
05-10-2019, 10:53 AM
but Allen wore us out all night. He completely destroyed our offense and we didn't make any adjustments until it was too late.

Allen had 6 tackles (3 solo and 3 assisted) and 1.0 sack

msstate7
05-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Allen had 6 tackles and 1.0 sack

^^^ didn't watch the game

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2019, 11:37 AM
^^^ didn't watch the game

Allen's biggest impact was causing our LT (no matter who we put there) to false start every damn series. I had flashbacks of a game we played against AU once where the DE either got a sack or caused a false start on every other play (in my mind at least).