PDA

View Full Version : What happened to J. Ealy being a first round MLB pick?

Irondawg
05-07-2019, 03:33 PM
I saw some initial mock drafts come out the past day or two and he's not listed in the 1st round of any of them.

Lord McBuckethead
05-07-2019, 03:35 PM
You talking a Mock draft?

Homedawg
05-07-2019, 04:03 PM
I saw some initial mock drafts come out the past day or two and he's not listed in the 1st round of any of them.

He's not going first round. That was way premature.

StarkVegasSteve
05-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Now he's faced with the harsh reality of having to run behind their line.

msstate7
05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
It would suck for OM to have Phillips and ealy this fall. Assuming they can field a decent oline, they could be decent on offense with the philosophy change

CadaverDawg
05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
That was just our fans way of trying to feel better about not getting him

StateDawg44
05-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Where are all the folks that swore they knew for a fact he would never play a down at OM? True, we haven't crossed that bridge yet but all indications now point to you being wrong. Lulz!

Come on out... eat some crow.

StateDawg44
05-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Ding!

msstate7
05-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Where are all the folks that swore they knew for a fact he would never play a down at OM? True, we haven't crossed that bridge yet but all indications now point to you being wrong. Lulz!

Come on out... eat some crow.

We lost cord sanberg as a 3rd round pick.

Todd4State
05-07-2019, 04:44 PM
MLB.com has him rated as the 77th best draft prospect if I remember correctly which is a third round grade. He has not had a good spring in baseball.

BeastMan
05-07-2019, 04:57 PM
If he slips it’s because he’s telling teams he wants to go to college. A baseball guy told me his baseball measurements are off the charts but his bat needs development and that if he was deadset on baseball he go go early. I heard first hand a family member say that he wants to go to college. I think the family is thinking he’s an NFL early entry 1st rd pick.

msstate7
05-07-2019, 04:58 PM
If he slips it’s because he’s telling teams he wants to go to college. A baseball guy told me his baseball measurements are off the charts but his bat needs development and that if he was deadset on baseball he go go early. I heard first hand a family member say that he wants to go to college. I think the family is thinking he’s an NFL early entry 1st rd pick.

Damn you, kyler murray

BeardoMSU
05-07-2019, 05:28 PM
if he was deadset on baseball he go go early

Someone see if Susan Sarandon wants to go slummin' again**

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/a7/02/23a7024e1d290d7faae4c710c6c8c2ca.gif

KB21
05-07-2019, 05:31 PM

After Kyler Murray, teams are going to be very careful when taking two sport guys high if they do not show an immediate long term commitment to baseball.

BeardoMSU
05-07-2019, 05:39 PM
After Kyler Murray, teams are going to be very careful when taking two sport guys high if they do not show an immediate long term commitment to baseball.

Well, I guess we can now look forward to Ealy gaining 1.2 yards per carry on our DLine the next 3 to 4 years. Yay....

NCDawg
05-07-2019, 05:47 PM

I questioned this numerous times during his recruitment, and was told by several prominent posters on this board that there was absolutely no doubt he would go early in the baseball draft, so we haven't really lost anything. Also, if he did go to college, he surely wasn't going to Ole Miss. Never believe what all you read on a message board.

fishwater99
05-07-2019, 06:13 PM

Way to early for that talk, the kid played at Prep not Madison Central.. He runs a 4.54 40, which isn't too bad. Might be a little undersized too, IMO.

Bothrops
05-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Another legacy diverted away from MSU. Only we have to endure this type of recruiting humiliation in football. However, aside from that misfortune, I think he's probably overrated, I just don't know how much yet.

KOdawg1
05-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Don't forget we'll have to face him in baseball too. Him and John Rhys Plumlee are both dual sport athletes.

Cooterpoot
05-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Couple things here.

1. He’s still 1st round in multiple mocks I've seen.
2. He may play football, but you better hold off on saying that’s a definite deal.
3. Plumlee isn’t an SEC level hitter.

smootness
05-07-2019, 07:11 PM

They'll just write a contract that says they can't play college football. The A's took the gamble and paid.

Irondawg
05-07-2019, 08:44 PM
So why the heck did he pick OM for football as a rb? Best shot of playing as a fresh?

He could have gone about anywhere. Weren’t his parents pro-MSU?

confucius say
05-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Mock I saw yesterday that came out early April had him 6th overall fwiw

Todd4State
05-07-2019, 09:00 PM
One thing to remember- signability plays a role in where a player is drafted and where a player is ranked doesn't always correlate. It's like someone told me once- all it takes is for one scout to like you.

Todd4State
05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
So why the heck did he pick OM for football as a rb? Best shot of playing as a fresh?

The honest answer is MSU football doesn't always do a good job with legacies IMO.

Homedawg
05-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Paging shotgun... he was adamant he was a first rounder. To be fair, I think shotgun does know baseball. But this one was way off. For sure first rounder etc.....

Homedawg
05-07-2019, 11:33 PM
One thing to remember- signability plays a role in where a player is drafted and where a player is ranked doesn't always correlate. It's like someone told me once- all it takes is for one scout to like you.

This is well said.

Homedawg
05-07-2019, 11:35 PM

He doesn't live w his parents. His guardians were. Yet, their son went to ole miss as a walk-on instead of here.

Irondawg
05-07-2019, 11:52 PM
oh yeah I remember that now and it's still confusing, but it is what it is.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 12:01 AM
It would suck for OM to have Phillips and ealy this fall. Assuming they can field a decent oline, they could be decent on offense with the philosophy change

The kid from Hattiesburg might be their best RB

smootness
05-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Mock I saw yesterday that came out early April had him 6th overall fwiw

He's not going anywhere near 6.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:28 AM
If he slips it?s because he?s telling teams he wants to go to college. A baseball guy told me his baseball measurements are off the charts but his bat needs development and that if he was deadset on baseball he go go early. I heard first hand a family member say that he wants to go to college. I think the family is thinking he?s an NFL early entry 1st rd pick.

He needs to understand that he isn't a QB and MLB would be a better long term fit if he can make it. Even good to great RBs don't last more than 5 or 6 years now. Also unless you are Saquan Barkley/ Zeke level then a RB is lucky to get in the first round now.

Most 1st round picks in MLB will have a good shot at making it out of the minors.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2019, 08:30 AM
They'll just write a contract that says they can't play college football. The A's took the gamble and paid.

Kyler pretty much burned anyone trying that again. The As not only lost out on Kyler but also don't get a compensation pick because he signed his contract. So the Braves get a compensation pick for Stewart but the As lost theirs drafting and signing Kyler.

Cooterpoot
05-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Paging shotgun... he was adamant he was a first rounder. To be fair, I think shotgun does know baseball. But this one was way off. For sure first rounder etc.....

Umm, what part of ?he?s still projected Rd 1? is wrong? One poster comes on here declaring he?s not projected rd 1, which is false, but Shotgun is wrong? Lol
Ealy has as good an advisor in his family as anyone could want. They know exactly what they?re doing.

deadheaddawg
05-08-2019, 08:51 AM
I questioned this numerous times during his recruitment, and was told by several prominent posters on this board that there was absolutely no doubt he would go early in the baseball draft, so we haven't really lost anything. Also, if he did go to college, he surely wasn't going to Ole Miss. Never believe what all you read on a message board.

The prominent posters on this board are the last people you need to listen to. You would be better off asking a guy off the street that's never seen a football than the prominent posters on this board.

smootness
05-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Umm, what part of ?he?s still projected Rd 1? is wrong? One poster comes on here declaring he?s not projected rd 1, which is false, but Shotgun is wrong? Lol
Ealy has as good an advisor in his family as anyone could want. They know exactly what they?re doing.

He's not still projected to go in the 1st. You can't find any mock from the last couple weeks that has him in the 1st.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Well is he a sure bet to go to OM if he isn't a 1st rounder?

smootness
05-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Well is he a sure bet to go to OM if he isn't a 1st rounder?

I would doubt it. I would assume there's still a pretty decent chance he signs with an MLB team.

msstate7
05-08-2019, 09:32 AM
I would doubt it. I would assume there's still a pretty decent chance he signs with an MLB team.

So you think the drop is talent based, not signability?

fishwater99
05-08-2019, 12:23 PM
He doesn't live w his parents. His guardians were. Yet, their son went to ole miss as a walk-on instead of here.

So they money was flying early on for Jerrion...

timotheus
05-08-2019, 12:34 PM
The prominent posters on this board are the last people you need to listen to. You would be better off asking a guy off the street that's never seen a football than the prominent posters on this board.

much love from the dead one. oh lawdie

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 11:53 PM
He needs to understand that he isn't a QB and MLB would be a better long term fit if he can make it. Even good to great RBs don't last more than 5 or 6 years now. Also unless you are Saquan Barkley/ Zeke level then a RB is lucky to get in the first round now.

Most 1st round picks in MLB will have a good shot at making it out of the minors.

Wouldnt surprise me if he is OM's QB by mid season or earlier

Todd4State
05-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Wouldnt surprise me if he is OM's QB by mid season or earlier

Ealy? You think they are just going to run the Wildcat all year?