PDA

View Full Version : Ginn Demeanor

Johnson85
05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Something I noticed watching/listening to Game #2. Twice Ginn pitched strike three's that the Ump hosed him on that weren't really close. One of those put somebody on base instead of ending the inning.

When clear strikes are getting called balls, it's got to be easy to freakout and lose your composure. I mean, all a pitcher can do is throw strikes, so when calls like that are going against you, I'm sure the options running through the pitchers head are he either pitch batting practice down the middle (which presumably wouldn't be called balls) or keep throwing strikes that the ump just called a ball.

I guess it helps to be an MLB talent and know that your talent can overcome some incompetent calls, but thought it was pretty impressive that he didn't seem rattled by it.

Tbonewannabe
05-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Something I noticed watching/listening to Game #2. Twice Ginn pitched strike three's that the Ump hosed him on that weren't really close. One of those put somebody on base instead of ending the inning.

When clear strikes are getting called balls, it's got to be easy to freakout and lose your composure. I mean, all a pitcher can do is throw strikes, so when calls like that are going against you, I'm sure the options running through the pitchers head are he either pitch batting practice down the middle (which presumably wouldn't be called balls) or keep throwing strikes that the ump just called a ball.

I guess it helps to be an MLB talent and know that your talent can overcome some incompetent calls, but thought it was pretty impressive that he didn't seem rattled by it.

It was the winning run in the 2nd game. The A&M guy started walking back to the dugout because everyone thought it was strike 3.

Jarius
05-06-2019, 12:48 PM
I have to think that his pitches have so much movement that it fools the umpires a lot of times. Unless they are on the take that is the only excuse for those pitches against A&M to be called balls.

KOdawg1
05-06-2019, 12:48 PM
I read the thread title as "Ginn Misdemeanor" and immediately thought "Shit, we need him this weekend." Gave me a mini heart attack lol

Ari Gold
05-06-2019, 01:03 PM
I have to think that his pitches have so much movement that it fools the umpires a lot of times. Unless they are on the take that is the only excuse for those pitches against A&M to be called balls.

That was a terrible crew period ...

Scared_Hitless
05-06-2019, 01:12 PM
He is very composed for a freshman. Imagine how Rowdey felt Friday night getting rung up on a pitch in the other batters box. Then Ginn doesnt get that call. SEC umps are hella inconsistent.

Commercecomet24
05-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Good ball and strike umpires in college are few and far between. They're zone is either way to generous or way to tight. You never know what you're gonna get from day to day.

Jarius
05-06-2019, 01:33 PM
That was a terrible crew period ...

I can’t remember the last crew in any sport that wasn’t. Officiating in college athletics is awful every time I turn on a game.

Commercecomet24
05-06-2019, 01:35 PM
I can’t remember the last crew in any sport that wasn’t. Officiating in college athletics is awful every time I turn on a game.

Yep. Football, basketball, baseball it's all pretty bad.

Dawgbite
05-06-2019, 01:37 PM
I read the thread title as "Ginn Misdemeanor" and immediately thought "Shit, we need him this weekend." Gave me a mini heart attack lol

I figured that it was a new drink at the Speak Easy under Restaurant Tyler.

shoeless joe
05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Good ball and strike umpires in college are few and far between. They're zone is either way to generous or way to tight. You never know what you're gonna get from day to day.

Or pitch to pitch. That’s what’s so bad. I’ve given my theory on why college umps are horrendous a thousand times but it is ridiculous that they are as incompetent as they are in a ball/strike capacity.

And nothing is more irritating than the late game tighten up. If it’s a strike in the first it should be a strike with 2 outs in the 9th.

The general way things go is to be tight for the first couple hitters, then loose thru about the 7th, then all of a sudden it’s gotta be in a tea cup. I’m not saying it SHOULD be this way but that’s usually how these morons call it.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-06-2019, 02:03 PM

It?s the inconsistency from pitch to pitch, batter to batter, and inning to inning that?s so bad. Someone tweeted a video of the exact same situation in the top half of the inning where they scored their run, and the umpire rung our guy up. Literally a 3-2 count, A&M pitcher throws a fastball knee high and down the middle (I would say a hair lower than Ginn?s pitch) and it?s strike three. In the bottom half of the inning it?s ball 4.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2019, 02:09 PM
One time the UMP paused and watched him leave the mound walking to the dug out and then the UMP called ball. He needs to learn to stay on mound. I could see how that might piss a UMP off if it is close pitch. He is a Freshman playing big boy ball and he still has a lot to learn.

Johnson85
05-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Yep. Football, basketball, baseball it's all pretty bad.

The problem is it's ridiculously hard to do, but nobody wants to pay for a good official like the scarce commodity they are. Pay probably ought to rise significantly and officials should get punished much more often, including fines/forfeiture of pay. Review every official's game and have a sliding scale for pay based on mistakes. Penalize more harshly for inconsistency than being a little too lenient or strict on a particular aspect.

Unless it's so hard that you really can't produce enough officials for the major conferences even with better pay, (which seems unlikely to me, but not impossible), it seems like a no brainer considering the money involved in the sports (or at least in football and basketball).

MarketingBully
05-06-2019, 02:18 PM
One time the UMP paused and watched him leave the mound walking to the dug out and then the UMP called ball. He needs to learn to stay on mound. I could see how that might piss a UMP off if it is close pitch. He is a Freshman playing big boy ball and he still has a lot to learn.

Those balls weren’t even on the black. The announcers both said the ump missed two strikes and both were on strike 3s.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Those balls weren’t even on the black. The announcers both said the ump missed two strikes and both were on strike 3s.

My point is wait until the ump calls the strikes before leaving the mound. It can only piss him off for later.

MarketingBully
05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
My point is wait until the ump calls the strikes before leaving the mound. It can only piss him off for later.

Those strikes weren’t even debatable was my point. Who cares what the pitcher does. You’re an ump. Do your damn job.

Jarius
05-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Those strikes weren’t even debatable was my point. Who cares what the pitcher does. You’re an ump. Do your damn job.

Showing up the ump like that makes him tighten up the zone a lot of times. It should not be that way and you are right that he should do his damn job, but you have to know how arrogant and put off a lot of them are by that and resist doing it.

Commercecomet24
05-06-2019, 02:44 PM
I agree the inconsistency is the biggest problem. One pitch is a strike, next time same pitch is a ball. It drives pitchers and hitters crazy(coaches too, lol). And if you think college is bad, watch a high school game some time. We had an umpire, this year, that awarded a kid a walk on ball 3, lol.

Johnson85
05-06-2019, 03:19 PM
Showing up the ump like that makes him tighten up the zone a lot of times. It should not be that way and you are right that he should do his damn job, but you have to know how arrogant and put off a lot of them are by that and resist doing it.

Celebrating on an iffy strike before the ump makes the call is asking for it. You're essentially trying to box the ump in on his call and daring him to call a ball, which as you note, sometimes has an adverse effect. But just celebrating b/c you are not expecting the ump to make an awful call is not showing him up.

CadaverDawg
05-06-2019, 04:45 PM
I love watching JT pitch. So competitive, and the emotion he shows after a big K is great. He's that dude that is your favorite player when he's on YOUR team, but you hate him when he's on the opposing team. Love the way he plays

Lord McBuckethead
05-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Fools umps? You telling me that an ump that umpires games fairly often, gets fooled on whether a ball crosses the plate or doesnt?

timotheus
05-06-2019, 06:46 PM
I doubt that. I watched a high school ump call FB strikes that were in the other batters box for 7 innings in the MHSAA playoffs last week. They know exactly what they are doing.

craigmid
05-06-2019, 07:59 PM
https://twitter.com/HeatherHR11/status/1124765810722070528?s=01

Jarius
05-07-2019, 12:57 AM
Fools umps? You telling me that an ump that umpires games fairly often, gets fooled on whether a ball crosses the plate or doesnt?

I don't know what other reason there could be other than them intentionally throwing the game. Why else would he not call an obvious strike a strike? I mean I agree that it's ridiculous to miss those calls but I can't think of any other reason on why it's happening.