PDA

View Full Version : Where is Self? Is he hurt?

TStationDawg
05-06-2019, 12:25 PM
I haven't been able to follow as much as I would have loved to this year. But where is Riley Self? What's going on with him?

MaroonBelle
05-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Injured his non pitching arm before the Georgia series falling down steps at his apt I believe. Arm was in hard cast. Coach said would be at least a couple weeks recovery. They didn't specify what injury was.

SmokeyDawg
05-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Should have his cast off this week. I'm not sure if there was any set back from not being available for games.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
We really have not needed him. Thanks goodness but it nice to him in the pin available.

BuckyIsAB****
05-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Injured his non pitching arm before the Georgia series falling down steps at his apt I believe. Arm was in hard cast. Coach said would be at least a couple weeks recovery. They didn't specify what injury was.

Good Lord. Only at Mississippi State

Todd4State
05-06-2019, 10:25 PM

He fractured his arm/wrist but the good news is it is his glove hand. I'm guessing that he will be back by South Carolina- if not La Tech.

Johnson85
05-07-2019, 10:56 AM
What is the deal with Self's development? He had a good freshman year, right? Then got injured before hsi sophomore year?

Was he derailed by his injury? Or was he a guy that got significant playing time early b/c of depth issues but was never projected to develop into a big time pitcher?
Obviously he's not bad, just curious b/c I would have thought somebody that got that many innings as a true freshman would have a bigger role for us now.

The Federalist Engineer
05-07-2019, 11:45 AM
What is the deal with Self's development? He had a good freshman year, right? Then got injured before hsi sophomore year?

Was he derailed by his injury? Or was he a guy that got significant playing time early b/c of depth issues but was never projected to develop into a big time pitcher?
Obviously he's not bad, just curious b/c I would have thought somebody that got that many innings as a true freshman would have a bigger role for us now.

He was a great freshman. But he only threw one pitch. His development was slowed by an injury. So he had to no summer after freshman year. Last year, he was generally good but punched a wall after a blown save in the Vandy Super Regional. given that we came back on Vandy, it was a "We are MSTATE" moment. Not sure that he had a summer last year and he had a very limited fall.

Next year, I have very high hopes for him and Price to be huge 40 inning contributors.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Recovering from TJ surgery, being brought back carefully. And then the injury above, just when he was starting to look like his old self. He's going to be a nice wild card when we get into regional play.

HooverDawg
05-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Recovering from TJ surgery, being brought back carefully. And then the injury above, just when he was starting to look like his old self. He's going to be a nice wild card when we get into regional play.

When did he have tommy john?

StarkVegasSteve
05-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Riley never had Tommy John. He had a sore elbow after his freshman year because he was used so much, then last year he was injured I believe in the fall and with the way the season was going we were just going to medical RS him but we turned it around and needed him, and then he punched a wall at Vandy which ended his season. I believe he played some summer ball last year, but with how long our season went he didn't get much in. Hopefully he can come back strong. Seemed like he was starting to turn the corner and be a solid contributor.

Homedawg
05-07-2019, 04:05 PM
When did he have tommy john?

That's a good question. News to me. Not here.

Madisonmd
05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Self has a chronic shoulder issue, going way back. believe he has been operated on more than once. He did not fall down the stairs, btw

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Riley never had Tommy John. He had a sore elbow after his freshman year because he was used so much, then last year he was injured I believe in the fall and with the way the season was going we were just going to medical RS him but we turned it around and needed him, and then he punched a wall at Vandy which ended his season. I believe he played some summer ball last year, but with how long our season went he didn't get much in. Hopefully he can come back strong. Seemed like he was starting to turn the corner and be a solid contributor.

Yeah, my bad. Think I somehow lumped him in with the 85 other pitchers we've had recently to have TJ. Either way, we've been very protective in our use of him this year. Really hoping he gets it sorted out and is a big part of our bullpen when it counts in postseason. We could really do with having someone of his caliber closing games for us.

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Yeah, my bad. Think I somehow lumped him in with the 85 other pitchers we've had recently to have TJ. Either way, we've been very protective in our use of him this year. Really hoping he gets it sorted out and is a big part of our bullpen when it counts in postseason. We could really do with having someone of his caliber closing games for us.

I'd really love to know if we set a record in 17 for how many arms we had out with TJ surgery. It had to be 7 or 8

Jarius
05-08-2019, 01:31 PM
How drunk do you have to be to fall down the stairs ?

SmokeyDawg
05-08-2019, 04:33 PM
How drunk do you have to be to fall down the stairs ?

Depends on the stairs. A lot of stair cases in Starkville look like roads in Jackson. Not sure if that's how it happened though

MaroonBelle
05-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Depends on the stairs. A lot of stair cases in Starkville look like roads in Jackson. Not sure if that's how it happened though[/QUOT

At game, cast is off.

[QUOTEHow drunk do you have to be to fall down the stairs
Must be nice to be so coordinated that you have never tripped or slipped on stairs either inside or out when sober.