PDA

View Full Version : How big is A&M's athletic budget?

Jack Lambert
05-05-2019, 08:28 AM
They damn sure not getting their money worth out of sports. Poole old Miss State has beaten them in football, basketball twice and baseball twice and should have swept them. Over all they are a average athletic program. They should have stayed in the Big 12.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 08:49 AM
We beat their ass in everything.

Yet, if you asked a common college fan or many Mississippi media types who has the better athletic department, they'd say A&M 9 out of times 10 times based on recruiting rankings, money, and potential rather than the hard reality of who wins more.

Leroy Jenkins
05-05-2019, 08:55 AM
They damn sure not getting their money worth out of sports. Poole old Miss State has beaten them in football, basketball twice and baseball twice and should have swept them. Over all they are a average athletic program. They should have stayed in the Big 12.

Don't let pesky little things like actual on-the-field results skew your opinion of what is important.....perception.****

ETA: I know you asked about budget but here is total revenue.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I have always said, the state of Texas is the unmatched champion of doing less with more.

Tbonewannabe
05-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Looking at that table, we spent $22 Mil less than Ole Miss and made $7 Mil less in Revenue. I wonder how they made more than we did?

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Looking at that table, we spent $22 Mil less than Ole Miss and made $7 Mil less in Revenue. I wonder how they made more than we did?

I've always wondered this as well. Has to be an accounting method difference or something

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I'll be interested to see how long A&M keeps Childress when Vitello at Tennessee would compete for national titles at A&M

Dawg2003
05-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Even if you have a lot of money, it's still really difficult to find an elite coach. There just aren't that many elite coaches out there.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-05-2019, 10:53 AM
The biggest winner on this list, since football is king, is Clemson. Their budget isn't that much larger than ours and smaller than Ole Miss yet they win championships. This disproves the theory that it's all about the money.

IMissJack
05-05-2019, 11:46 AM
The biggest winner on this list, since football is king, is Clemson. Their budget isn't that much larger than ours and smaller than Ole Miss yet they win championships. This disproves the theory that it's all about the money.

Yep. Just like real estate, it is about location, location, location. We are surrounded by perennial powers in football.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Right schedule, right coach, & right location (2 hours from Atlanta & with big time Florida connections)

Tbonewannabe
05-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Right schedule, right coach, & right location (2 hours from Atlanta & with big time Florida connections)

Clemson has also kept their staff.

Political Hack
05-05-2019, 04:57 PM
We beat their ass in everything.

Yet, if you asked a common college fan or many Mississippi media types who has the better athletic department, they'd say A&M 9 out of times 10 times based on recruiting rankings, money, and potential rather than the hard reality of who wins more.

Yes.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Clemson has also kept their staff.

And puts massive money into football. $55M on football only facility (with bowling alleys and miniature golf), they have 2 OC's making $1M each, their DC makes over 2M, and Dabo makes what, 9.5M a year now? All in all they spend over $16M a year on coaches alone. I think our current facilities cost $25M and we don't even have an indoor practice field lol.

Clemson might have a comparable athletic budget, but nmake no mistake about it: they have the boosters to put as much into football as Bama can

Bothrops
05-05-2019, 05:28 PM
What's happening at Clemson is a peculiar divergence from the norms.

parabrave
05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
As has been brought up before but Clemson has IPTAY. Like Bama they have an enormous non college attendee fan base, just not as obnoxious, who donate alot to the fund. They also attend the games, they will fill up their Death Valley every game regardless of wins.

jacksondawg
05-05-2019, 11:40 PM
What does State's boosters financial support look like compared to other programs?

Maroonthirteen
05-06-2019, 09:35 AM
I don’t give a damn how big their athletic budget is... Some athletes will be turned off by the cult culture and goofy traditions. That’s why they don’t recruit well.

The Federalist Engineer
05-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Not picking on you Jack, but some MSU people admire and respect TAM too much and beyond their actual pedigree. In the Big12, Oklahoma considered TAM as pretenders with a little money. Ok State considered them a peer not as a twin power to Texas.