PDA

View Full Version : My first complaint about Lemonis

AlSwearengen
05-05-2019, 07:53 AM
When Tanner got on base against Locey, I thought for sure we would have McNamee bunt him over, especially considering the slump he has been in. Perfect spot for it. 0-0 game late, slumping hitter, hot hitter on deck.

I spent my early years bitching about Polk?s teams not being able to bunt in big spots, my later years bitching about Cohen bunting every time someone got on first, and I?m afraid I am back to bitching about never bunting.

That big park in Omaha requires an all around game, especially against the type of pitchers that will be there. Have to be able to do it. If Polk?s teams could have bunted, I think we have a national championship or two. Big part of the game.

Hambone
05-05-2019, 08:11 AM
I think Lemonis will change the teams approach based on where they are playing. In a bigger ballpark TD Ameriprise, I’m willing to bet if the same scenario presented itself, he has Macnamee bunt

Cooterpoot
05-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Bunting sucks except in very limited/specific situations. I would’ve bunted in that situation, but oh well.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2019, 08:17 AM
No you don't have Mac bunt there. Mac is a hitter who only needs one swing to change a game. He's not going to do that playing small ball. You might - might -pull that out in desperation in an elimination game. But with his history of big moments you don't take the bat out of Mac's hands.

AlSwearengen
05-05-2019, 08:32 AM
No you don't have Mac bunt there. Mac is a hitter who only needs one swing to change a game. He's not going to do that playing small ball. You might - might -pull that out in desperation in an elimination game. But with his history of big moments you don't take the bat out of Mac's hands.

It takes a double in the gap to score Allen and Mac was 1-26 or something like that. Oh and he was facing one of the top 10 pitchers in the country. The game changes for the defense so much when there is a runner on second. You have to bunt there.

Dawg2003
05-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Yeah, but it's such a small chance of him changing the game with the way he's batting. A bunt would give you a better chance.

I seen it dawg
05-05-2019, 08:46 AM
What if Mac can't bunt? Some guys just can do it and you don't make them do it just bc the situation might call for it. You hit for him then? Well then you lose your cleanup hitter and rf. It's not just so simple as saying well lemonis is wrong for not making Mac bunt.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2019, 09:15 AM
What if Mac can't bunt? Some guys just can do it and you don't make them do it just bc the situation might call for it. You hit for him then? Well then you lose your cleanup hitter and rf. It's not just so simple as saying well lemonis is wrong for not making Mac bunt.

Exactly. People don't understand that bunting isn't easy. It is a skill just like anything else on the field - and difficult to master. which is why it has all but disappeared from the game. I don't care if Mac was 1 for 26 or 0 for 50 - you do not take the bat out of his hands and ask him to do something he can't do or doesn't do regularly. Especially not with the runner on first. You might consider it with the runner on 2nd and no outs because then all it takes is a single to score. Moving the runner from 1st to 2nd means you still need a well hit ball to score the runner, and why do that with a hitter like Mac who can change the game with his power?

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 09:21 AM

This is something that people usually don't think about.

Bunting isn't easy & some people can't do it. That the most plausible explanation here

Cooterpoot
05-05-2019, 09:23 AM
I’m sorry, but bunting is far easier than hitting. Especially higher percentage opportunity than hitting an extra base hit or HR. Mac has bunted before.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2019, 10:37 AM
I’m sorry, but bunting is far easier than hitting. Especially higher percentage opportunity than hitting an extra base hit or HR. Mac has bunted before.

It may be easier than hitting but that doesn't mean it is easy. It's like any other skill in baseball, it comes naturally to some players and others never can do it. There are a lot of technique nuances that you have to master and be able to adjust to during the pitch. If it was easy, you would see it done a whole heck of a lot more than you do. Add to it that good pitchers can pitch to defend and eliminate the threat of a bunt and you have something that not every player can do successfully.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Mac has 7 sac bunts in his career. 0 this year. Yes, it was a bunting situation. For that fact alone, even if you don’t have confidence in the player bunting, you give him one chance to get it down. If he succeeds, great. You’ve gotten what you want. If not, he still has two swings to play with.

I think we should have given him at least one chance to get it down. But knowing he has succeeded in doing this 7 times prior, I would have given him the first two strikes to do it. It was the higher percentage play with him struggling. And if he were successful and we go on to win the game, it might have been the confidence boost he needs right now to get back on track.

AlSwearengen
05-05-2019, 10:57 AM
I will concede the “not being able to bunt” factor and I started to add that in the original post. I know we have bunted with Halter so I guess Lemonis is not totally against it and not being able to bunt might be the reason for not trying with Mac.

Homedawg
05-05-2019, 11:07 AM

This. All day.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2019, 11:22 AM
I will concede the “not being able to bunt” factor and I started to add that in the original post. I know we have bunted with Halter so I guess Lemonis is not totally against it and not being able to bunt might be the reason for not trying with Mac.

If it was almost any other player on the team I'd say ok to think about bunting. It's not a situation where I would with the middle of my order up, but I can buy some thinking that way. To me it's Mac's track record of big hits that has me saying no as much as anything. I don't care about him slumping - it's the type situation he has thrived in at MSU and I want the bat in his hands. Didn't work out this time. But if we are in the same situation again against Ole Miss, I'd still want him hitting not bunting.

MetEdDawg
05-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Bunting is actually not that bad, if you practice it. Mac probably has done very little bunting this year in practice as should be the case.

Even in a situation like that, I just Mac the hitter more than Mac the bunter.

chef dixon
05-05-2019, 12:06 PM
You can twist this to your viewpoint so easily. You have to make choices and live with it. If Mac pops up a bunt then Lemonis is getting ripped from the other end.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 12:14 PM
You can twist this to your viewpoint so easily. You have to make choices and live with it. If Mac pops up a bunt then Lemonis is getting ripped from the other end.

Or he gets the bunt down and then people can't believe we bunted with our most clutch power guy who has multiple big hits late in games in his career.

It's a no win situation.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Mac has 7 sac bunts in his career. 0 this year. Yes, it was a bunting situation. For that fact alone, even if you don’t have confidence in the player bunting, you give him one chance to get it down. If he succeeds, great. You’ve gotten what you want. If not, he still has two swings to play with.

I think we should have given him at least one chance to get it down. But knowing he has succeeded in doing this 7 times prior, I would have given him the first two strikes to do it. It was the higher percentage play with him struggling. And if he were successful and we go on to win the game, it might have been the confidence boost he needs right now to get back on track.

He has none this year and when he attempted to bunt against Georgia he looked bad doing it.

Percho
05-05-2019, 05:41 PM
In a seven inning game someone would have bunted at that moment in that game, had I been coaching. and I mean using all three strikes to do so.

Percho
05-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Thought I would add. I agree with this but not sure I would not still bunt. Also I am not a big fan of punting, in football.

Homedawg
05-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Or he gets the bunt down and then people can't believe we bunted with our most clutch power guy who has multiple big hits late in games in his career.

It's a no win situation.

Here's what we KNOW. Had he bunted successfully, Rowdey would have been up w 2 outs. Foscue still grounded out. So maybe we score and maybe we don't. I wouldn't hammer the guy either way. But, I also know, as much as I watch and know, our staff has more info than me. Fact. Do I always agree w them? No. But that's the nature of it.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Here's what we KNOW. Had he bunted successfully, Rowdey would have been up w 2 outs. Foscue still grounded out. So maybe we score and maybe we don't. I wouldn't hammer the guy either way. But, I also know, as much as I watch and know, our staff has more info than me. Fact. Do I always agree w them? No. But that's the nature of it.

I especially don't like bunting with one out.

Percho
05-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Forgot to add.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ball-keith-law

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Forgot to add.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ball-keith-law

Looks like a cricket story on my end. But there are tons of why you don't bunt articles out there that all say the same thing.

RougeDawg
05-06-2019, 12:16 AM

If you cannot lay down a sac bump you do not deserve to be playing. Bunting it one of the easiest things to do if you just practice it. Bunting and practicing bunting also greatly improves hand eye coordination. If anyone should be working on bunting and doing it in games, it is someone in a slump.

Bunting is simple. Point the handle or barrel in the opposite direction you want the ball to go. Hands out front, bend knees to catch the ball on the bat. Never, ever move your upper body to attempt to bunt except the occasional dual shoulder drop on a low pitch. Moving your handnindependently is a no no.

If I were a coach I would not allow you to hit any BP balls until you bunted 50% of first attempts fair.

Once again, teams that do the little things right win national championships. Bunting and base running are the often overlooked little things. If Mac cannot bunt in that situation, we have glaring issues that will greatly hinder ever winning a NC.

Jarius
05-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Bunting is not hard. All you are doing is playing catch with the bat. If someone on our team can't bunt it's because our coach hasn't made them learn. That being said, I would not have bunted him there and think Lemo made the correct call.