PDA

View Full Version : This baseball team

CadaverDawg
05-05-2019, 02:15 AM
I went in to this series hoping we didn't get swept, because A&M's pitching is phenomenal. To win 2 of 3 is so huge in my book. I remember when we blew a 5-0 lead and lost to Auburn earlier this year, and I said after that game "we are a host type team, but not a National Seed type team". Well, we are about 3 SEC wins from proving me wrong, and the way we've done it is rather impressive imo.

First, we have had a brutal schedule, with one more tough road series upcoming. To have 15 conference wins vs this schedule already, with potentially 4-5 more wins out there, is incredible.

Second, we have shown an ability to win high scoring games and pitching duels. We've had to find a 3rd starter and also deal with 2-3 weeks of little or no JT Ginn due to soreness.

Third, we still haven't played our best baseball in my opinion. Early this year we either had no 3rd starter, no JT, no Rowdey hitting, no infield defense, etc....and lately it's been no Westburg hitting, no Allen hitting, no Mac hitting, or no bullpen depth. Regardless, we haven't put it all together at the same time, and if that happens in the postseason we can win it all. Remember, it's okay to have slumps now (especially when we still win)....just make sure we peak at the end of the year. South Carolina could be the perfect springboard into postseason play too.

Overall, I think our pitching is rounding in to form, we just need guys to step up in the pen. Our hitting has been a little down lately but everyone seems to forget how great the staff's we've faced lately are. The ball may look like a beach ball vs OM and SC after facing that A&M staff. I think we will take a lot from having to scrape out wins vs good pitchers like that.

I can't reiterate enough how big Home field is for this team. We are so tough to beat in Starkville, so these next 6 games are so big, as are the OOC games. If our guys can do enough to lock in a National Seed, we have the potential to go REAL deep in this tournament.....like National Champs deep. But it will take us putting it together at the right time and Home field through Supers more than likely. Let's take care of business midweek and then find 4 more SEC wins. 3 may do it, but let's remove all doubt. HailState

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Great thoughts! I think Memphis Weds is going to be an all business game for our pitching staff. We need to find a fourth starter now and that needs to be Keegan. And we need to get our bullpen some work before the weekend.

I agree about not just A&M's staff but Georgia has the number two staff as I type this. I think after seeing that high level pitching and stepping back a little bit our bats will start to warm up.

MetEdDawg
05-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Here's the thing for us. We have faced great pitching and almost every time we've been able to put up a few runs. I trust our lineup to do that more consistently against good pitching than I trust teams to do it against our good pitching. Just look at what we were able to do to Doxakis with Westy and Mac doing nothing. It's not impressive, but it's good and that may be all you need.

I like us in a super better than a regional, but I think we are good enough to beat any 2 seed that we are matched up with because of how well we hit, especially at home. Either way I think this team has the guts to go back to Omaha. I think everyone would have taken 5-4 in our @Arkansas, UGA, @TAMU stretch. This team has played well enough the last few weeks and we are winning games against good teams with different parts of our team not competing at a high level. Tells me we have the stuff to make it and that if we start to hit everything right we might be there at the very end.

confucius say
05-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Great thoughts! I think Memphis Weds is going to be an all business game for our pitching staff. We need to find a fourth starter now and that needs to be Keegan. And we need to get our bullpen some work before the weekend.

I agree about not just A&M's staff but Georgia has the number two staff as I type this. I think after seeing that high level pitching and stepping back a little bit our bats will start to warm up.

You thinking Keegan goes midweek against Memphis?

Commercecomet24
05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Great post CD! Anyone bitching about our hitting obviously has never hit against 95+ with nasty breaking stuff. The pitching has been stellar and we do what we need to do offensively. I like the way this team plays!

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 12:25 PM
You thinking Keegan goes midweek against Memphis?

Yes. I imagine we'll keep the rotation the same with Small/Ginn/Plumlee for Ole Miss and since they originally announced Keegan as the starter for the A&M series before the weather delays I feel pretty safe in assuming that he is the likely starter.

shoeless joe
05-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Great post CD! Anyone bitching about our hitting obviously has never hit against 95+ with nasty breaking stuff. The pitching has been stellar and we do what we need to do offensively. I like the way this team plays!

Wait just a gosh darn minute!!!

You mean to tell me that there?s folks commenting about our sports teams...baseball in particular...that don?t know what the hell theyre talking about?!?!?!

Saltydog
05-05-2019, 01:03 PM
My only concern right now is the lack of a closer. We're going to need someone to step up. We can't continually blow leads late in games come post season time.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Wait just a gosh darn minute!!!

You mean to tell me that there?s folks commenting about our sports teams...baseball in particular...that don?t know what the hell theyre talking about?!?!?!

Rep given!

HooverDawg
05-05-2019, 01:40 PM
My only concern right now is the lack of a closer. We're going to need someone to step up. We can't continually blow leads late in games come post season time.

When was the last time our bullpen blew a lead? Friday night vs Auburn is the only game I can really remember our bullpen costing us the game. 2 of the 3 runs scored yesterday were Plumlee?s.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 01:45 PM

We have one. Colby White.

R2Dawg
05-05-2019, 01:48 PM

I think Colby White is the closer, just need to see him do it some more. Gordon can also have some good closer moments.

Saltydog
05-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Most great teams have a lock down closer and we simply don't have that. You feel comfortable with Cole Gordon and his era of almost 6? Colby White's is 4. We're giving up runs late. We've been fortunate to have some large leads but you know as well as I that if you continually give up runs late in games in the post season that you're going to make a quick exit.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Most great teams have a lock down closer and we simply don't have that. You feel comfortable with Cole Gordon and his era of almost 6? Colby White's is 4. We're giving up runs late. We've been fortunate to have some large leads but you know as well as I that if you continually give up runs late in games in the post season that you're going to make a quick exit.

IMO ERAs for relievers are virtually useless because one bad outing can alter them so much due to the lack of total innings that they pitch.

White has thrown 20.2 innings, struck out 36, has given up 15 hits, & walked 5. That is virtual domination & plenty good enough to be considered a reliable closer

Gordon hasn't been quite as good as White. He's thrown 23.1 innings, given up 22 hits, 15 BBs, & 36 Ks. The 15 BBs by Gordon is bad while also giving up a hit per inning

IMO the biggest thing we need to do with our bullpen is throw White more. White is not throwing enough

Commercecomet24
05-05-2019, 03:00 PM
IMO ERAs for relievers are virtually useless because one bad outing can alter them so much due to the lack of total innings that they pitch.

White has thrown 20.2 innings, struck out 36, has given up 15 hits, & walked 5. That is virtual domination & plenty good enough to be considered a reliable closer

Gordon hasn't been quite as good as White. He's thrown 23.1 innings, given up 22 hits, 15 BBs, & 36 Ks. The 15 BBs by Gordon is bad while also giving up a hit per inning

IMO the biggest thing we need to do with our bullpen is throw White more. White is not throwing enough

This. Colby era was fine until the final
game against uga and he gave up a few in a non save situation. Colby has dominate stuff and I have complete faith in him as a closer. He needs to throw more.

maroonmania
05-05-2019, 03:15 PM
We have one. Colby White.

I would have to beg to differ. If Colby White was truly considered our closer then our staff would have put him in yesterday in the 7th to save that final game. Pretty obvious right now that when the chips are down the guy the staff is going to turn to is Liebelt and only Liebelt. You really don't know for sure what you are going to get out of anyone else when they come in.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2019, 03:31 PM
I would have to beg to differ. If Colby White was truly considered our closer then our staff would have put him in yesterday in the 7th to save that final game. Pretty obvious right now that when the chips are down the guy the staff is going to turn to is Liebelt and only Liebelt. You really don't know for sure what you are going to get out of anyone else when they come in.

Look at White's stats. Fairly clear what we are going to get out of him. Also fairly clear that the staff doesn't trust him for some reason

basedog
05-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Look at White's stats. Fairly clear what we are going to get out of him. Also fairly clear that the staff doesn't trust him for some reason

White needs a second pitch badly. His fast ball is good but again he needs a little movement. In saying this, I was surprised he didn't close the last game. But it all worked out same with the bunt or swing away and in baseball that's all that counts, winning. So many things or decisions on every pitch, only ED posters knows best!***. LOL

maroonmania
05-05-2019, 04:24 PM
White needs a second pitch badly. His fast ball is good but again he needs a little movement. In saying this, I was surprised he didn't close the last game. But it all worked out same with the bunt or swing away and in baseball that's all that counts, winning. So many things or decisions on every pitch, only ED posters knows best!***. LOL

About the only thing the vast majority of ED posters can agree on is in that situation, Mac should have been given the bunt sign yesterday. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference in us being able to score that inning, who knows, but all I can say is that if there were EVER a time to bunt, that was it. If you don't believe in bunting there you just don't believe in ever bunting given you had a guy at the plate who was batting .037 in his last 27 ABs.

State82
05-05-2019, 04:34 PM
About the only thing the vast majority of ED posters can agree on is in that situation, Mac should have been given the bunt sign yesterday. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference in us being able to score that inning, who knows, but all I can say is that if there were EVER a time to bunt, that was it. If you don't believe in bunting there you just don't believe in ever bunting given you had a guy at the plate who was batting .037 in his last 27 ABs.

This pretty much sums it up. I honestly can't see a legitimate argument to the contrary.

State82
05-05-2019, 04:38 PM

I agree. It's going to bite us in the ass before it's all over. You could just about order the rings if Holder was on this team.

basedog
05-05-2019, 04:46 PM

For the record I would have called for a bunt. I think Mc had a hit earlier.

maroonmania
05-05-2019, 04:50 PM
For the record I would have called for a bunt. I think Mc had a hit earlier.

Mac finally got one hit for the weekend but it was in Game 3.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 10:20 PM

That wasn't a save situation with a 4-0 lead. If it had stayed 2-0 we probably bring in Colby for the ninth.

Todd4State
05-05-2019, 10:25 PM

This. Colby era was fine until the final
game against uga and he gave up a few in a non save situation. Colby has dominate stuff and I have complete faith in him as a closer. He needs to throw more.

I think we have a lot of guys that are very effective in one inning stints but when they get extended they get hit. That's why I think our bullpen is better than the stats indicate. To me, Colby is a one inning guy. But we can use him twice a weekend. Leibelt and maybe Gordon are multiple inning guys. Barlow is good in one inning stints. Brandon Smith is good in one inning stints. I think we need to be pitching Eagan more and when he comes back from his injury- Self as well. But again with both of them just one inning at a time.

The good news is with the emergence of Plumlee we now have three starters that can consistently go six innings a game. That leaves 7-9 for our bullpen and two of those innings are to White, and probably four to Leibelt. That only leaves a couple of innings for a guy like Barlow.

SmokeyDawg
05-06-2019, 12:26 AM
This team still has a resiliency that they had to embraced early last year when it became a do or die situation. I don't think we have felt backed in a corner yet this season. It's a long season and it's hard to stay hot all year but the second season is coming up. I hope we see that focus and fight again

Jarius
05-06-2019, 12:56 AM
I would like to save Keegan for the OM series in a reliever role. A series win in Oxford all but locks up a national seed and we need all hands on deck. I would like for us to get Keegan back into the groove of that reliever role before postseason starts. I think he is good for 2/3 innings at most and I think we can beat Memphis with Johnny Wholestaff. I suppose we could pitch him against Memphis and Ole Miss as long as we have him on a pitch count.