PDA

View Full Version : Not that many people care but Softball is winning at UF bot of 7th

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 07:26 PM
We went into the bottom of the 7th with a 6-1 lead and have now pretty much walked about 7 people in a row with 2 outs at #6 UF. It is now 6-3 with bases loaded and 2 outs. Our pitcher has thrown about 12 straight balls. Just had a lightning strike with a 1-0 count. Now we have a 30 minute break so hopefully Studeman gets her head out of her ass instead of letting a pitcher walk in 6 straight runs with 2 outs.

I don't know if I have ever seen a pitcher not close to the strike zone and still not getting pulled. I guess Cohen did it his first year when we would literally run out of pitchers who could throw strikes and start pulling position players who pitched in high school.

Dawg2003
05-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Williams has been walking them all game, and it's finally caught up to her. Now it's in a weather delay of all things.

Dawg2003
05-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Williams has honestly been a walk machine all year, but the rest of our pitching staff can't be trusted. She's the best we've got right now.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Williams has honestly been a walk machine all year, but the rest of our pitching staff can't be trusted. She's the best we've got right now.

Have you ever seen someone lose the strike zone like that and actually get it back. She has probably thrown 40 pitches and about 4 have been strikes. She walked 2 or 3 straight girls on 4 pitches.

Dawg2003
05-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Have you ever seen someone lose the strike zone like that and actually get it back. She has probably thrown 40 pitches and about 4 have been strikes. She walked 2 or 3 straight girls on 4 pitches.

I've been watching since the 1st inning, and she never had the strike zone. I was surprised Vann put her back out there in the 2nd. She hasn't been able to throw strikes the entire game, but FL is a bad hitting team. I honestly wouldn't trust the other 3 pitchers we have any more than her at the moment, but maybe Vann will bring someone else out.

maroonmania
05-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Sounds like softball is just too short on pitching right now. Heard there was some hot shot pitcher in the State that Vann signed that would be coming in next year. Anyone know anything about who that is?

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Weird since Van is supposed to be a good pitching coach.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-03-2019, 08:22 PM
I don't care if she's the best we've got, I tihnk at this point you put out someone that can physically throw a strike and pray the other girl misses it and pops/grounds/strikes out. Throwing PB is better than free bases forever

Ifyouonlyknew
05-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Sounds like softball is just too short on pitching right now. Heard there was some hot shot pitcher in the State that Vann signed that would be coming in next year. Anyone know anything about who that is?

Aspen Wesley from Neshoba Central

preachermatt83
05-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Aspen will be a difference maker from day one.

Dawg2003
05-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Did it ever finish? I tried to pull it back up but I got nothing.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Just finished, we won 6-4 with the bases loaded.

Cooterpoot
05-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Not in the SEC she won?t. She?ll be solid but won?t dominate. FL has really struggled this year at times. Especially hitting. Barnhill isn’t the same since she was forced to pitch by the rules. Still a nasty rise though.

Really Clark?
05-03-2019, 09:30 PM

I don’t know about day 1. She is avg velocity by SEC standards. Hope she does but think it may be a year or two. Normally dominate freshman in this league are 65+ at a min, even if they are not the best pitcher yet. But I do think she will be excellent for her career here

mparkerfd20
05-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Not in the SEC she won?t. She?ll be solid but won?t dominate. FL has really struggled this year at times. Especially hitting. Barnhill isn?t the same since she was forced to pitch by the rules. Still a nasty rise though.

I'm pretty sure you will eat those words. She has been dominant since she was about 12. Have you ever even seen her play? She will be dominant in the SEC. Maybe not freshman year, but before she leaves she will be dominant.

Dawg2003
05-03-2019, 09:38 PM
That win assures that we make the SEC Tournament.

Cooterpoot
05-03-2019, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you will eat those words. She has been dominant since she was about 12. Have you ever even seen her play? She will be dominant in the SEC. Maybe not freshman year, but before she leaves she will be dominant.

Nah. I?ve seen her enough...lol. She didn?t even face higher level competition until the last couple years. The top pitchers have loads of top offers in the 8th grade. She didn?t. They also are playing in Cali etc then too. She wasn?t. She?s good but not elite.

preachermatt83
05-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Nah. I?ve seen her enough...lol. She didn?t even face higher level competition until the last couple years. The top pitchers have loads of top offers in the 8th grade. She didn?t. They also are playing in Cali etc then too. She wasn?t. She?s good but not elite.

You are entitled to your opinion but the thing that makes it incorrect is that she is not just 63-64 but she can locate 5 pitches and all five move like something I’ve never seen. I’ve been around the game a good bit and I’ve seen some of the best... I’ve never seen one in HS like her. If her velocity jumps from 63-64 to 65-66 and she keep the movement the. She will be states best pitcher by a long shot.

Cooterpoot
05-03-2019, 10:29 PM
I’ve seen way more softball, especially elite travel, than just about everyone on this board. My kids played it and faced the stud at Washington, Alabama, TNs #2, NDs Ace, SC’s ace, and Aspen. My oldest is just under .500 vs Wesley. Wesley isn’t as good as those pitchers. She doesn’t have the size to project as a power pitcher either. She throws the rise at three levels and changes speeds well. She’s hits 65 Some but is generally 63. She also has a huge number of innings on her arm. Like Clark said, she’ll be good but she’s not going to be elite. I hope she proves me wrong on the elite part.

Dawg2003
05-04-2019, 05:24 PM
We actually won the second softball game. Granted, FL is ranked too high at 9, but that's still great that we beat them.

Homedawg
05-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Softball is probably the toughest sport as far as depth and excellence in the entire league. Which says a lot.

The Federalist Engineer
05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Softball is probably the toughest sport as far as depth and excellence in the entire league. Which says a lot.

We hire a Vic Schaefer type coach, we would have softball threads, comment on batting styles, and critique hairdos every weekend.

Do they have a left field lounge (1980's version, not lofts of course) in softball? That would draw lots of fans.