PDA

View Full Version : Dak Prescott wasn't the full time starter until his Junior year

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 10:16 AM
What is getting lost in all of the KT isn't good enough talk is Dak "wasn't good enough" to beat out Tyler Russell who wasn't a good fit for Mullen's offense. Tyler Russell running Mullen's offense against Bama looked very similar to Fitz running Moorhead's offense this year.

KT should be going into his redshirt sophomore year. At that stage, Dak was coming in for short yardage only. He had his big game against Rice in the Liberty Bowl when Tyler Russell was injured. He had his moments throughout the year but it was only because Tyler was hurt.

So for anyone that thinks KT should just transfer because he will never get it, he is in the same boat that Dak was in. After waiting until he was ready, Dak ended up pretty good. A lot of people say that KT has some of the leadership qualities that Dak so hopefully he has a similar trajectory.

MetEdDawg
05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
What is getting lost in all of the KT isn't good enough talk is Dak "wasn't good enough" to beat out Tyler Russell who wasn't a good fit for Mullen's offense. Tyler Russell running Mullen's offense against Bama looked very similar to Fitz running Moorhead's offense this year.

KT should be going into his redshirt sophomore year. At that stage, Dak was coming in for short yardage only. He had his big game against Rice in the Liberty Bowl when Tyler Russell was injured. He had his moments throughout the year but it was only because Tyler was hurt.

So for anyone that thinks KT should just transfer because he will never get it, he is in the same boat that Dak was in. After waiting until he was ready, Dak ended up pretty good. A lot of people say that KT has some of the leadership qualities that Dak so hopefully he has a similar trajectory.

This is a pretty good analysis of this. Dan brought in raw QBs. Guys that needed a lot of developing. None of the QBs he brought in were guys ready to completely take the reigns as any form of sophomore, whether it be true sophomore or RS sophomore. We haven't had that freshman that came in and really challenged anyone. And any sophomore that has gotten playing time was because the elder in front of them struggled or got injured.

KT is no different. People don't realize that great high school numbers don't mean someone is going to be like that in college. The mental aspect of the QB position is so many times the difference for a team. Look at Dak. Mentally he was tough and made solid decisions. Does he have the best arm? No. But when you make good decisions that doesn't always matter. By all accounts, Fitz has more tools than Dak. Stronger arm, more effective runner. But that doesn't matter. He doesn't have the mental aspect to approach the game.

Fans a lot of times look at high school stats and use that to extrapolate how good someone SHOULD be in college. That's an absolute joke because you can be a complete moron but your talent level can be just that much higher than your competition. KT had great high school stats, but not everyone can adapt to the college level of thinking at the QB position. KT had 5 more passing TDs his senior year than Trevor Lawrence did. Do we think that makes KT a better passer than him?

There's a lot more than just stats that goes into a QB and hindsight being what it is, we should have known better than to create insane expectations for Fitz, who came from a triple option high school offense, to Mullen's offense, then after 4 years of that into Moorhead's offense. We should have known there would be difficulties, but couple that with him coming back from the injury and missing time, we really put expectations that were too high on their ability to gel super quickly.

KT may not be the guy. If Moorhead likes someone better, we have to trust he's doing something to make the team better. But KT may not be ready and folks saying that he should be have zero basis for that statement other than the biased opinion that KT was able to do it in high school and should be able to do it now.

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Mmm, I recall Dak coming in for mop up duty in the 12 Egg Bowl and looking really good. I remember everyone thinking Dak should start half way into 13.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Mmm, I recall Dak coming in for mop up duty in the 12 Egg Bowl and looking really good. I remember everyone thinking Dak should start half way into 13.

And the fact is Mullen thought Tyler should start over Dak. When Tyler was healthy, he got the vast majority of the snaps. I wish Moorhead would have gotten KT more snaps this year and I think that was a negative because there were plenty of times we blew out people that could have gotten KT an entire half. To me that is a bigger knock than trying to bring in a grad transfer who already knows the offense.

War Machine Dawg
05-03-2019, 10:55 AM

The way I've heard it, there was a split within the coaching staff in '12 about who should start. It culminated at the Gator Bowl against Northwestern. I think it was Brewster told Mullen to play Dak during halftime and Mullen refused. A whole lot of people thought Dak was ready in '13, if for no other reason than his superior mobility would've allowed him to do the running Mullen wants from the QB.

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2019, 11:08 AM
The moment I knew Dak was ready was when he bounced back from the awful game at USCe and battled Manziel in College Station, until he was injured. Now, knowing what we know now the fact that he was even able to play against USCe or A&M was pretty amazing. I haven't seen that moment from KT yet, nor have I seen flashes that I could see it. Dak showed ability to run Mullen's offense his RS Freshman year in spot packages. I haven't seen KT show ability to run Moorhead's offense as of yet. Not saying it can't happen, but we can't keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If he'll take a RS and not transfer this year then we absolutely need to do that. Give him another year and see if he can make strides in the passing game. Then make it an open competition in the spring between KT, Mayden, and Schrader

Cooterpoot
05-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Dan Mullen was notorious for taking care of upper class men. This really isn’t a good argument for KT. KT had his shot to take the job without question this spring and he really didn’t do it. Had he come out and been great, we wouldn’t be looking for more. Dak took the reigns and never looked back.

Covercorner2
05-03-2019, 11:22 AM
So Dak needed time. So does KT. KT also has switching offenses stacked against him. Dak was in the same offense his whole career. No one is saying KT isn?t any good, they are just saying he needs more time, especially to fit this offense. Stevens allows that to happen.

Also, no one is saying KT SHOULD transfer, they are saying he might. Like you said, he could stick around and make it work.

R2Dawg
05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

That was 2013 Egg Bowl that Dak came in during 4th quarter to lead the comeback win. That was the night Dak became Dak. If you remember he got hurt about a month earlier in TAMU game as TR got hurt. We all know CDM favored seniors so it wasn't that Dak wasn't ready. Dak also blew up Rice in Liberty Bowl and the dark horse Heisman stuff started.

Good point by original poster; KT can be the one and have a great career. Jury is still out so lets sit back and enjoy the ride.

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2019, 12:18 PM
No. I remember 2012 v 2013 egg bowls well.

2012. Dak was a freshman and came in many games in mop up duty and performed well.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-03-2019, 01:23 PM
This comparison is sooo bad... 1) Mullen was great at QB development and scheming his O around the flaws his QB's had... Moorhead hasn't proved the first and obviously sucks at the 2nd. 2) Dak in '13 showed a ton of potential, and the team really responded when he was out there. KT has shown us nothing and i see no signs that he elevates the O when he's playing. 3) Dak progressed a lot between his RFr and so years, but by all accounts this spring KT isn't doing so hot. 4) We wanted Dak to be the starter over Russell the entire 2nd half of his 2nd season because we could see he was special. the only reason people wanted KT to start last year is because Fitz sucked; it wasn't because KT showed us something impressive.

Look, I hope KT wins the Heisman and goes #1 overall. But I see NOTHING that makes me believe he'll be good. Te only way I can think he'll be good is if I pretend nothings happened since his true Fr year. Since all that hype, the expectations of Mullen developing him, and how mentally mature he looked, we've seen nothing but inaccurate passes, the failure to take the starting job despite far more snaps in the system than Fitz had, and the failure to gain the trust of Moorhead. His passing this spring looked like it did his Fr year. He doesn't elevate the team when he's out there. His running abilities are good but not as good as Fitz pre injury, or even Dak who could read defenders better. Lastly KT looked lost last year at making pre snap reads

Seriously, what's KT done that's 1/10th as impressive as Daks' '13 egg bowl? Again I hope I'm eating a ton of crow but I'm just not seeing a shred of tangible evidence KT will get it done

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-03-2019, 01:32 PM

2012. Dak was a freshman and came in many games in mop up duty and performed well.

Yep. Statistically Dak's first 2 years he was a much better passer (Daks' lowest comp % was 9.9% higher than KT's highest). Dak threw more int's and had worse rush stats but he also played much better D's overall in more critical situations (ie not late game mop up duty)

R2Dawg
05-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Think you need to check the record books, ESPN or game film. 2012 was in Oxford where they beat us like 41-24. 2012 was the Russel year, 8-0, We Believe, etc. and then tanked at end of year. Yes Dak played some mop up minutes but nothing special. What did Dak do in 2012? Hardly anything because he didn't play any meaningful minutes. 2013 was a different story due to TR injury. Dak's coming out party was 2013 mid year and to end the year.

2013 is the year he led the comeback at home in 4th of Egg Bowl in OT for MSU win. His mom had died, he came back from injury (TR also injured that year and our 3rd team QB Williams beat Ark the game before in Ark to give us a bowl chance).

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2019, 03:03 PM
I was referring 2012 in oxford when he came in late 4th quarter and led us down the field for a meaningless TD.

2013 I was sitting in section e at Scott field when he crossed the goal in oT. And we missed the fg in regulation. Etc etc . You’re assuming and reading too
Much in my post that I didn’t say.

R2Dawg
05-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Sorry, it sounded like you were speaking of the 2013 game the way you spoke of his mop up duty. No reason to get offended.

IMHO, his mop up in 2012 didn't look any better than KT or any other QB; it was mop up and nothing special. Hard to screw up mod up duty, just like any players highlight film. Now 2013 was a different story, no mop up it was big time.