PDA

View Full Version : Stevens sets official visits (Link)

TrapGame
05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-penn-state-qb-stevens-schedules-officials/

Miami of Ohio? Huh.

The article pretty much suggests we are a shoo in.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Reading that... not sure why we are all excited about this kid??

Covercorner2
05-03-2019, 09:23 AM

Well, the majority of other P5 programs have starters in place or talented guys that fit their system battling it out. We don?t.

Really Clark?
05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Have y’all looked at the shear number of QB’s that have transferred already in the portal? Of course options are limited at this point. Just like if we had landed Kelly Bryant we wouldn’t be on his list

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Nobody wanted Minshew either.

Bama just wanted him as a backup. Not even sure a scholarship offer was included.

TXDawg
05-03-2019, 09:33 AM
He completed over 70% of his passes last season. He must be a stud. **

Seriously, though, if Joe thinks he's our best option, go get him.

mstatefan91
05-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Bring him in. Even if he doesn't start, it gets more competition with KT and I like that. Make KT work for it.

TrapGame
05-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Bring him in. Even if he doesn't start, it gets more competition with KT and I like that. Make KT work for it.

I'm starting to think that's the problem. Not enough competition in the QB stable. I think KT pulled up last year b/c he knew Fitz was the man. Mayden may be trying to step up but he might think it's KT's (just like KT thought it was Fitz's).

I think we have problems establishing the Alpha of the pack.

Just some thoughts.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Because he is better than the quarterbacks on campus or Joe would not be bringing him in. Bringing in a better players than you currently have at a position is exciting to people. He still may not be good but he’s obviously better than what we have in the only person’s eyes that matter.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 09:54 AM

He’s would not be coming here if he did not know he was better than the competition.

Doggie_Style
05-03-2019, 10:05 AM
He’s would not be coming here if he did not know he was better than the competition.

I think there is a fair chance Tommy will go elsewhere. The facts are that he is a fifth year guy who has never started a college game and has only thrown 41 passes in four years. I don't believe Joe will guarantee him anything except a chance to compete. He obviously wants a chance to be 'the guy' hence his officials to Miami Ohio and Illinois.

msstate7
05-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Did GT back off or tommy just not interested?

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Does anyone think about the fact that we are expecting KT to start before Dak did? Dak as a redshirt sophomore (also early enrollee) was 2nd string behind Tyler Russell (who was a bad fit for Mullen's offense). Just because KT isn't quite ready next year doesn't mean he is never going to be ready. It might be the best thing for him to redshirt a year then start as a redshirt junior just like Dak did. Dak also didn't have to learn an entirely new offense so another year getting comfortable in the offense might work well for him.

Saying that, in today's world most transfer if they aren't going to start by their junior year.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-03-2019, 10:36 AM
I think there is a fair chance Tommy will go elsewhere. The facts are that he is a fifth year guy who has never started a college game and has only thrown 41 passes in four years. I don't believe Joe will guarantee him anything except a chance to compete. He obviously wants a chance to be 'the guy' hence his officials to Miami Ohio and Illinois.

I don't expect him to be guaranteed anything. I expect him to be on the MSU roster this season also.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Did GT back off or tommy just not interested?

I've never heard about much chatter between the 2.

msstate7
05-03-2019, 10:40 AM
I've never heard about much chatter between the 2.

Searching through articles, it seems there was just speculation linking the 2.

Coach007
05-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Moorhead and Stevens spoke several times this weekend. He will visit Ms St next week. Time will tell

Jarius
05-03-2019, 11:04 AM

Every recruiting expert MSU has expects him to come to MSU. He does not have to be guaranteed anything. He will be told straight up that he is the best qb on our roster and that if he does not win the job it is his own fault. We would not be going down this road if he were not better than what we have.

Coach007
05-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Every recruiting expert MSU has expects him to come to MSU. He does not have to be guaranteed anything. He will be told straight up that he is the best qb on our roster and that if he does not win the job it is his own fault. We would not be going down this road if he were not better than what we have.

And I think people are going to be shocked to see KT and Stevens on the field at the same time... blowing up the SEC

Jarius
05-03-2019, 11:24 AM
And I think people are going to be shocked to see KT and Stevens on the field at the same time... blowing up the SEC

KT being here after the qb starter is announced seems extremely unlikely. I will be super excited if he stays though.

Coach007
05-03-2019, 11:28 AM
KT being here after the qb starter is announced seems extremely unlikely. I will be super excited if he stays though.

From what I hear, he is not going anywhere.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 11:30 AM
I am sure he envisions himself beating out whoever his competition is.....when someone else is taking snaps all year I would be shocked if his attitude does not change on that. I hope I am wrong because we are one snap away from a freshman qb if he leaves.

RiverCityDawg
05-03-2019, 11:32 AM

So do you think he'll leave just because his feelings will be hurt or he leaves because he thinks he won't beat out Mayden or Shrader in 2020? Because his path to being an FBS starting QB doesn't shorten if he transfers.

Coach007
05-03-2019, 11:35 AM
So do you think he'll leave just because his feelings will be hurt or he leaves because he thinks he won't beat out Mayden or Shrader in 2020? Because his path to being an FBS starting QB doesn't shorten if he transfers.

I think he beats both out. But I think he will also see a ton of action this year.

If he is not named, and he elects to Redshirt and transfer.. now would be the time.

RiverCityDawg
05-03-2019, 11:41 AM
I think he beats both out. But I think he will also see a ton of action this year.

If he is not named, and he elects to Redshirt and transfer.. now would be the time.

If he stays and redshirts, why would he not also then compete for the job in 2020? Unless he just decided he didn't want to be here.

If I were him I would stay this year regardless, ask to redshirt if I wasn't named the starter, then compete for the job in the spring of 2020, all the while busting my ass to graduate in May of 2020 so that if I didn't like where I stood at the end of spring next year I could be a grad transfer and have 2 years to play 2.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 11:45 AM

It is pretty obvious that Joe does not think Kt is what he wants at qb or he would not be bringing in a grad transfer qb 3 months before kickoff. In today’s ncaa climate it is not very hard to get a waiver to play immediately somewhere else. I think the writing will be on the wall for him once he gets beat out by someone on campus for 90 days this year.

RiverCityDawg
05-03-2019, 11:57 AM
It is pretty obvious that Joe does not think Kt is what he wants at qb or he would not be bringing in a grad transfer qb 3 months before kickoff. In today’s ncaa climate it is not very hard to get a waiver to play immediately somewhere else. I think the writing will be on the wall for him once he gets beat out by someone on campus for 90 days this year.

I think it's pretty obvious Joe thinks there are better options to consider this year, but that doesn't mean he thinks he can never do it. Maybe he thinks that, but it's a stretch to say that KT is automatically going to think he will never be able to do it. He's a competitor, I'm sure he thinks he can win the job in 2020. Just because he loses the job to a guy 2 years older than him who has spent 3 years in this system (Stevens), doesn't mean his fate is sealed.

There's no example of a player getting an immediate waiver because he didn't win the starting QB job as a junior. No one has called him a racial slur, his mom isn't sick (i hope), the head coach isn't getting fired, he isn't getting kicked off the team for no reason and no one is lying to him about an NCAA investigation. He's not getting a waiver if he transfers this year based on the current circumstances, so leaving now would just be because of hurt feelings and the insider reports are that he isn't that bothered by the Stevens news.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 12:12 PM
I think it's pretty obvious Joe thinks there are better options to consider this year, but that doesn't mean he thinks he can never do it. Maybe he thinks that, but it's a stretch to say that KT is automatically going to think he will never be able to do it. He's a competitor, I'm sure he thinks he can win the job in 2020. Just because he loses the job to a guy 2 years older than him who has spent 3 years in this system (Stevens), doesn't mean his fate is sealed.

There's no example of a player getting an immediate waiver because he didn't win the starting QB job as a junior. No one has called him a racial slur, his mom isn't sick (i hope), the head coach isn't getting fired, he isn't getting kicked off the team for no reason and no one is lying to him about an NCAA investigation. He's not getting a waiver if he transfers this year based on the current circumstances, so leaving now would just be because of hurt feelings and the insider reports are that he isn't that bothered by the Stevens news.

Surely you don’t believe all of these sick relatives are actually why kids are transferring? I mean sometimes maybe, but the rule is getting taken advantage of and if a kid wants to leave they can find something in today’s climate to make it happen for the most part. There is always a sick relative somewhere. There is litigation coming up for the ones getting turned down for immediate eligibility as well. Anyway, he is not accurate enough for Joe’s offense and that is pretty unlikely to change. Next year would be the same deal with Joe going after a transfer or one of his qb’s (Shrader or Mayden) will have grasped the offense enough to overtake him by next year. I am Excited about our future at qb but I do not think kt will ever be in that future. I think he truly believes he can beat Stevens out and when he finds out he cant he is not going to take a chance of riding pine all 4 years of his career. Joe is not redshirting KT. He would have done that last year if it were going to happen.

Leroy Jenkins
05-03-2019, 12:15 PM
No matter how good this guy is, he's probably better than the empty roster spot he will be filling.

Percho
05-03-2019, 03:11 PM

I get excited about everyone we sign. Whoever may be the next, Jim Thorpe.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2019, 05:53 PM
I get excited about everyone we sign. Whoever may be the next, Jim Thorpe.

Great! Let's not whine and complain about the next 3* we sign. Might be a "diamond" like Stevens hopefully will be.

RocketDawg
05-03-2019, 07:23 PM

I hope he at least get the chance to prove himself one way or the other by starting the first couple of games.

RougeDawg
05-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Great! Let's not whine and complain about the next 3* we sign. Might be a "diamond" like Stevens hopefully will be.

You mean like a certain 3* named Dakota?

Todd4State
05-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Surely you don’t believe all of these sick relatives are actually why kids are transferring? I mean sometimes maybe, but the rule is getting taken advantage of and if a kid wants to leave they can find something in today’s climate to make it happen for the most part. There is always a sick relative somewhere. There is litigation coming up for the ones getting turned down for immediate eligibility as well. Anyway, he is not accurate enough for Joe’s offense and that is pretty unlikely to change. Next year would be the same deal with Joe going after a transfer or one of his qb’s (Shrader or Mayden) will have grasped the offense enough to overtake him by next year. I am Excited about our future at qb but I do not think kt will ever be in that future. I think he truly believes he can beat Stevens out and when he finds out he cant he is not going to take a chance of riding pine all 4 years of his career. Joe is not redshirting KT. He would have done that last year if it were going to happen.

Even if he doesn't KT will still start at least one season. I'm not sure what Joe has in mind for KT as far as redshirting him I do think it would benefit him and is as of now a possibility.

Jarius
05-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Even if he doesn't KT will still start at least one season. I'm not sure what Joe has in mind for KT as far as redshirting him I do think it would benefit him and is as of now a possibility.

If he were going to redshirt he would have done that last year. He had a golden opportunity to do It and just did not for whatever reason. I completely disagree that he will ever start at MSU even if he stayed for next year. I do not think Joe wants his type of skill set at qb and I don’t think he will ever be accurate enough for Joe to trust him with the offense. Joe will be looking at transfers again next year if someone on the roster does not improve enough for his liking.