PDA

View Full Version : Cool ESPN article on new committ Ben Key

BigEasyDawg
05-03-2019, 08:48 AM
http://www.espn.com/american-football/story/_/id/26652710/my-goal-dominate-aussie-key-unlocks-massive-college-football-future

Seem's like a kid that wants to be great. Best quote of the story:

"The most heralded division in NCAA football was one factor. Another was the Bulldogs' reputation for putting big-time defensive lineman into the NFL. With Montez Sweat and Jeffrey Simmons going in the first round of the Draft last week, and reigning All-Pro defensive tackles Fletcher Cox and Chris Jones among Mississippi State alumni, Key knows he's going to the school for him."

KentuckyDawg13
05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Isn't he a Dec grad, thus will be @ MSU in the Spring of 2020?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Isn't he a Dec grad, thus will be @ MSU in the Spring of 2020?

Yes

bulldawg28
05-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Nice

MetEdDawg
05-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Putting guys in the early rounds of the draft is massive for recruiting. All kids watch that thing and see what's up.

We didn't capitalize on that under Mullen. Guys like Sherrod, Banks, Slay, Gabe Jackson, all should have helped us with recruiting. Other than WR, OL and CB were our worst recruited positions under Mullen.

bulldawg28
05-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Putting guys in the early rounds of the draft is massive for recruiting. All kids watch that thing and see what's up.

We didn't capitalize on that under Mullen. Guys like Sherrod, Banks, Slay, Gabe Jackson, all should have helped us with recruiting. Other than WR, OL and CB were our worst recruited positions under Mullen.

CB wasn't a problem recruiting. Banks, Slay, Dantzler, Smitherman, Petets, Redmond, Calhoun have all been solid.

MetEdDawg
05-03-2019, 10:10 PM
CB wasn't a problem recruiting. Banks, Slay, Dantzler, Smitherman, Petets, Redmond, Calhoun have all been solid.

After Slay and Banks, only 2 of those were above a 3 star. They may have turned out well, but when you talk about recruiting, we have fallen very very short in the CB department.

bulldawg28
05-03-2019, 10:13 PM
After Slay and Banks, only 2 of those were above a 3 star. They may have turned out well, but when you talk about recruiting, we have fallen very very short in the CB department.

I don't measure success by a subjective rating I base it on performance. Those guys are NFL players.

MetEdDawg
05-03-2019, 10:31 PM
I don't measure success by a subjective rating I base it on performance. Those guys are NFL players.

No doubt. But it's been proven time and time again that the schools that recruit the best win the most games. That's not debatable anymore. Sure we developed those guys. And they did good stuff for us. After Banks and Slay how many from that group got drafted? 1. Dantzler probably will do 2. Smitherman probably not. So 2 CBs might get drafted in what, 7 years after Banks and Slay? That's actually not very good.

Mullen should have parlayed that into better recruiting and greater talent and never did. So yes we developed those guys, but until we recruit higher we will never win at a more consistent level than we do now.

Dawg61
05-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Mullen seemed to have the same philosophy recruiting players at all positions. Get underrated great athletes with good size and develop them into 4-5* type players. It worked for him at QB and DL but not so much at other positions especially WR and OL. We haven't been that terrible at CB and FS/SS. The issues we've had there have been more about the shitty soft defenses called than the actual players themselves.

DancingRabbit
05-04-2019, 08:34 AM
I like this quote too.

"Oregon, UCLA, USC, Auburn, Utah, there were more," he says. "But the Mississippi State coaches' recruiting was different. They really treated me like family to be honest, and they kept it one-hundred with me. I want to be coached like that, I'm about loyalty, and that was the only college program where the head coach was contacting me."