PDA

View Full Version : MSU Football Gameday Advice

RDuncan8
05-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Hi all,

I'll be visiting from Scotland for the Kentucky game September 21st and looking for some advice etc. This is the first college game I'd be attending so the tailgate experience is new. As I'll just be visiting, what is the best way to enjoy the pre-game? Just turn up morning of the game? What do people generally bring with them bearing in mind I would just be visiting and don't have any tents/coolers etc? What are the rules/standards regarding drinking alcohol outside the stadium? Can you buy alcohol anywhere outside the stadium? Can you just walk around with a beer or is it not allowed?

Thanks.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Going to need the backstory here. Scotland?

RDuncan8
05-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Not much of a backstory ha just part of a US trip and this was one of the games that fitted in with dates and location we were going. Neither of us have a favourite team (hopefully that will change after this!) but watch the games that are shown over here each Saturday.

BulldogDX55
05-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Someone with a tailgate needs to adopt this man ASAP.

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Hi all,

I'll be visiting from Scotland for the Kentucky game September 21st and looking for some advice etc. This is the first college game I'd be attending so the tailgate experience is new. As I'll just be visiting, what is the best way to enjoy the pre-game? Just turn up morning of the game? What do people generally bring with them bearing in mind I would just be visiting and don't have any tents/coolers etc? What are the rules/standards regarding drinking alcohol outside the stadium? Can you buy alcohol anywhere outside the stadium? Can you just walk around with a beer or is it not allowed?

Thanks.

Come early to really enjoy the atmosphere. Especially if it's a late afternoon or evening game you'll get the experience of all day tailgating. The rules/standards for drinking alcohol outside the stadium is don't be an ass to the people around you(and sometimes people don't follow that one very well). Alcohol cant be bought on campus but there's plenty of places to buy it near campus and you can just walk around with beer. Not sure if it's technically legal, but I've never seen the cops stop anyone.

As it gets closer to the date of the game, post again so you can remind us that you're coming and we'll get you set up with someone to introduce you to tailgating in the SEC. Typing all that up just got me fired up for football season again.

Dawgbite
05-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Liquor laws in the south are confusing and antiquated but mostly ignored. Rule of thumb, pour it in a cup and don't be an ass to a cop and you're good to go as long as you are afoot Drive drunk and it's very frowned upon. You and your friends have a standing invitation to our tailgate. We take a RV to all the games and park on campus a short walk from the stadium and the Junction. It would be a good base for venturing around campus throughout the day. Since it's Kentucky week we might try to introduce you to what they call Whiskey in that state. Do worry about invitations, just walk up and day " hi I'm from Scotland and I'm hungry and thirsty". People will welcome you just to hear you talk. It's not often that we don't have the strongest accent in a crowd! Get back with us in August and September.

Dawgbite
05-03-2019, 11:02 AM
September 21,,,,,, you might catch a break but don't be surprised if Mississippi is hotter than a Sumo Wrestlers balls and twice as moist.

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Liquor laws in the south are confusing and antiquated but mostly ignored. Rule of thumb, pour it in a cup and don't be an ass to a cop and you're good to go as long as you are afoot Drive drunk and it's very frowned upon. You and your friends have a standing invitation to our tailgate. We take a RV to all the games and park on campus a short walk from the stadium and the Junction. It would be a good base for venturing around campus throughout the day. Since it's Kentucky week we might try to introduce you to what they call Whiskey in that state. Do worry about invitations, just walk up and day " hi I'm from Scotland and I'm hungry and thirsty". People will welcome you just to hear you talk. It's not often that we don't have the strongest accent in a crowd! Get back with us in August and September.

Your accent will make you one of the more popular people on campus that day.

RocketDawg
05-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Alcohol is techically illegal on campus, but it abounds. Put your beer in an opaque cup and you should be fine. You'll probably be invited to more tailgates than you can possibly go to.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Hi all,

Thanks.

You will be here and I will be there that day! Have fun and you will get a full dose of southern culture that day. Enjoy!

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2019, 02:15 PM
You won't get dressed up for nothing...

MaroonBelle
05-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Bring earplugs for the game. Thousands of cowbells will be rung in unison throughout. It is marvelous and deafening.

R2Dawg
05-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Dude you are in for a treat and what luck you ended up in Starkvegas. Couple things for you to do.

Before the game, get a cowbell - Lodge, bookstore, somewhere, just get one. You'll be a Bulldog before the game is over. Have an MSU Reflector available to stuff in the ringer before you get on the plane ride home. Most non MSU fans hate cowbells but you can still show yours off.

Before game try to make it to Little Dooeys - good food, good atmosphere of a college town.

Before game make the Dawg Walk and watch MSU drumline perform. You'll be fired up enough to suit up yourself.

Go get some ice cream and cheese at the MAEFS store.

Walk around campus and tailgate area and see what MSU has to offer.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

Thanks.
Just for reference: Are you a fan of your football? If so, which team? It will enable those of us who follow yours to help you know what to expect here.

coachnorm
05-03-2019, 04:09 PM
The tailgaters will take care of you if you engage them and let them know your from Scotland attending your first football game. Tel the tailgaters how excited you are to compare our game here to your game in Scotland. Make sure that you use your iPhone and get many pictures and video to share when you go home, they will be well received by your family and friends. I was stationed in Scotland, US Navy at Holy Loch, in the early 1970s for a little more than three years and I still regret not having more pictures to share with others. BTW, I lived in the Hillhead district of the West End of Glasgow.

coachnorm
05-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Just for reference: Are you a fan of your football? If so, which team? It will enable those of us who follow yours to help you know what to expect here.

Please don't say Manchester City, "You'll Never Walk Alone"

RDuncan8
05-06-2019, 03:04 AM

Thanks. I'll be sure to check back nearer the time. Already excited for gameday!

Yeah, I'm a fan but don't have an English team - just a casual watcher but have soft spots for certain teams mainly the underdog or Newcastle ha! Aberdeen is my Scottish team but there's not much of a pregame experience like tailgating you have. Just going to a pub is it really as you're not allowed to drink outside or in the streets here. We've been to the Wembley NFL games and rugby at Twickenham so I suppose that would be closer to a tailgate as you can buy drink outside and carry it around but I get that even that is nothing like it is in the US. We have the Miami NFL game week before but I'm more excited about this day.

Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. Hopefully see you in September!

Liverpooldawg
05-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Thanks. I'll be sure to check back nearer the time. Already excited for gameday!

Yeah, I'm a fan but don't have an English team - just a casual watcher but have soft spots for certain teams mainly the underdog or Newcastle ha! Aberdeen is my Scottish team but there's not much of a pregame experience like tailgating you have. Just going to a pub is it really as you're not allowed to drink outside or in the streets here. We've been to the Wembley NFL games and rugby at Twickenham so I suppose that would be closer to a tailgate as you can buy drink outside and carry it around but I get that even that is nothing like it is in the US. We have the Miami NFL game week before but I'm more excited about this day.

Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. Hopefully see you in September!

I wish you had kept Sir Alex.

You should enjoy yourself here. Hopefully it's not an 11am kickoff and the weather will be good. We can't control either. The weather obviously, but TV dictates when we kick off. 11am kickoffs tend to curb the tailgating quite a bit. KO time for that week probably won't be announced until two weeks prior to the game.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Don't ask anyone from the media how to get to Miss State. They will send you to Oxford.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Go to Petty's on the main strip get the country fried steak or the frog legs. Then go to Cowbells after the game. Thank me later

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2019, 08:35 AM
The best restaurant in town to me is Restaurant Tyler. Two Brothers is good for bbq/smoked meat. Oby's is the old standby for older alums like me. For burgers, Bulldog Burger or Mugshots. Those are my places to go over the last 5 years while visiting our student son. The Little Dooey is sort of the iconic place, but I'm not a fan really. I can't really comment on the bar scene, I'm too old and too long since graduated.

RDuncan8
09-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Just bumping this back up now the kickoff time is announced - glad it's not 11am at least (hopefully we'll be able to survive the heat ha).

Looking to get further advice on timings etc. Is it better to turn up early morning at the junction or are there any bars etc that would be good pre-game? Is there places to buy drinks/beer and water near the junction or am I at the mercy of handouts ha.

Seems there is a concert thing on the Friday night so will check that out too - is this in the main bar/food area in town?

Thanks.

Dawgbite
09-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Glad you are back. The concert is downtown, the main bar and restaurant area is The Cotton District which is just off campus. On Friday night, if you park on campus you will walk through the Cotton District to get downtown to the concert. As far as beer on Saturday you can walk to The Cotton District but it's about 1/4 mile from the Junction so thats not really feasible. When you get in town, go in a Dollar General or a Wal Mart and buy a cheap cooler , easily less than $20 and pack beer for Saturday. The first tent that adopts you, ask if you can drop your cooler there and roam around, they won't mind. I would be in the Junction by no later than 11am.

Dawgbite
09-10-2019, 10:33 AM
If you get into town Friday, I'll give you directions to find me at the RV. I'll have my golf cart and I can take you guys on a tour of everything so you can map out your plans for Friday night and Saturday.

RDuncan8
09-12-2019, 02:17 AM
Glad you are back. The concert is downtown, the main bar and restaurant area is The Cotton District which is just off campus. On Friday night, if you park on campus you will walk through the Cotton District to get downtown to the concert. As far as beer on Saturday you can walk to The Cotton District but it's about 1/4 mile from the Junction so thats not really feasible. When you get in town, go in a Dollar General or a Wal Mart and buy a cheap cooler , easily less than $20 and pack beer for Saturday. The first tent that adopts you, ask if you can drop your cooler there and roam around, they won't mind. I would be in the Junction by no later than 11am.

Sounds like a good plan! Can't wait. Will be getting in late evening Friday night so will probably just have to dump the bags and head to the concert but that's a brilliant offer with the golf cart/tour, really nice of you.

Will need to source out a couple cowbells for the game. Can they be bought on Saturday or is there anywhere to get them Friday night?

Howboutdemdogs
09-12-2019, 07:06 AM
You can PM me. You can stop by and toss back a drink and have something to eat at our tailgate. We know no strangers.

sleepy dawg
09-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Wear Maroon, but if you don't, don't wear blue.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a good plan! Can't wait. Will be getting in late evening Friday night so will probably just have to dump the bags and head to the concert but that's a brilliant offer with the golf cart/tour, really nice of you.

Will need to source out a couple cowbells for the game. Can they be bought on Saturday or is there anywhere to get them Friday night?

The university bookstore is right next to the stadium and the primary tailgate area. You can get any MSU gear you need - including cowbells - while wandering thru the festivities. It will be crowded, but it is easier then trying to get to one of the off campus locations in game day traffic.

RocketDawg
09-12-2019, 01:52 PM

You should be able to find them at Walmart. If not there, Barnes & Noble (probably the most expensive, but right next to the stadium), and The Book Mart. All of those will be open Saturday morning too.

sleepy dawg
09-12-2019, 02:51 PM
You should be able to find them at Walmart. If not there, Barnes & Noble (probably the most expensive, but right next to the stadium), and The Book Mart. All of those will be open Saturday morning too.

If you're going to be in town Friday night, I'd just go ahead and buy one at the lodge. Everything will be really crowded Saturday.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2019, 03:24 PM
I always wonder when we get post like this is it a bear cat fishing.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-12-2019, 03:27 PM

If he understands your post then we will know for sure.

R2Dawg
09-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Just bumping this back up now the kickoff time is announced - glad it's not 11am at least (hopefully we'll be able to survive the heat ha).

Looking to get further advice on timings etc. Is it better to turn up early morning at the junction or are there any bars etc that would be good pre-game? Is there places to buy drinks/beer and water near the junction or am I at the mercy of handouts ha.

Seems there is a concert thing on the Friday night so will check that out too - is this in the main bar/food area in town?

Thanks.

Early game on a hot day not the best circumstances but should still be a good day. My advice.

Friday night, get a cowbell somewhere. Eat BBQ somewhere, several good places in town.
Saturday get on campus to park by 9:00, get to Dawg walk by 9:30ish. After Dawg walk, catch the drum line warming up in the Junction. After that go to McCarthy gym and catch the band warming up. I'm not a band guy but after decades of going to games, went to that last weekend for the first time and was blown away. It was great. Go catch it worth your time. Make your way to stadium or march with band to stadium. By time you get to your seats, you can enjoy pregame stuff and settle in for Bulldog football.

Enjoy your visit.

Pollodawg
09-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

Thanks.

I think Scottish is the only accent besides American Southern that people take delight in mimicking. And it?s always terrible.

Bothrops
09-12-2019, 11:40 PM

You may want to get some lunch at Commodore Bob's in the Cotton District if you have a taste for seafood. Starkville is big on bbq, hamburgers, and Tex Mex.

dantheman4248
09-13-2019, 12:02 AM
I worked at little dooey’s. The best food on the menu ain’t the pork or ribs (shocking it being bbq and having all the pig stuff but most people who don’t like it have only had those and judge it based off of that.)

Fried Catfish. Blackened shrimp / catfish. Fried Cheese Logs. Fried Eggplant. Fried Pickles. Dip almost anything in ranch. Their ranch is the best, BWW is the only thing that comes close. Baked beans is the best thing that has pork in them. Onion rings are amazing. Buffalo chicken tender po-boy is top tier. New fried bologna sandwich is good. Something on the menu for everyone, just takes a couple tries for people to find their thing. If you get the pork sandwich eat it with the slaw on there. The mixture is too good not to.

But my go to is get the nachos on waffle fries. Lather in BBQ and dip in ranch. Phenomenal. Order two pieces of texas toast and throw some of it on a sandwich if you’re feeling frisky. And now i’m hungry. Next time in starkville I’ll be getting some lmao.

Also the strawberry mango is the best frozen margarita and is a great help to get you through a hot day.

ScoobaDawg
09-13-2019, 11:05 AM
I worked at little dooey’s. The best food on the menu ain’t the pork or ribs (shocking it being bbq and having all the pig stuff but most people who don’t like it have only had those and judge it based off of that.)

Fried Catfish. Blackened shrimp / catfish. Fried Cheese Logs. Fried Eggplant. Fried Pickles. Dip almost anything in ranch. Their ranch is the best, BWW is the only thing that comes close. Baked beans is the best thing that has pork in them. Onion rings are amazing. Buffalo chicken tender po-boy is top tier. New fried bologna sandwich is good. Something on the menu for everyone, just takes a couple tries for people to find their thing. If you get the pork sandwich eat it with the slaw on there. The mixture is too good not to.

I'm sensing a pattern. You would love the Texas State fair...

dantheman4248
09-13-2019, 04:47 PM
I'm sensing a pattern. You would love the Texas State fair...

Hey, Margaret Ann’s recipe for breading the fried food is killer. (Probably literally when I hit 60 but oh well) I have never had better fried catfish though. Not in NOLA or anywhere in MS.

RDuncan8
09-13-2019, 05:38 PM
I think Scottish is the only accent besides American Southern that people take delight in mimicking. And it?s always terrible.

Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing haha. Thanks everyone for the tips, in US now, hopefully catch the game tomorrow somewhere and see everyone next weekend. Can't wait.

RDuncan8
09-13-2019, 05:40 PM

I'll have my traditional Scottish wear with me next Saturday so you should be able to spot me ;)

RocketDawg
09-13-2019, 06:01 PM

But my go to is get the nachos on waffle fries. Lather in BBQ and dip in ranch. Phenomenal. Order two pieces of texas toast and throw some of it on a sandwich if you’re feeling frisky. And now i’m hungry. Next time in starkville I’ll be getting some lmao.

Also the strawberry mango is the best frozen margarita and is a great help to get you through a hot day.

Lots of fried stuff on the menu. :)

Leroy Jenkins
09-13-2019, 09:02 PM
I'll have my traditional Scottish wear with me next Saturday so you should be able to spot me ;)

I heard this guy is 7ft tall, and can you shoot fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Homedawg
09-14-2019, 12:06 AM
Alcohol is techically illegal on campus, but it abounds. Put your beer in an opaque cup and you should be fine. You'll probably be invited to more tailgates than you can possibly go to.

This is incorrect. It is not illegal for a person over 21 to have alcohol on campus. Hasn't been illegal concerning the university for 15 years. And that's on paper. People think it is, but isn't.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2019, 12:16 AM
Bring earplugs for the game. Thousands of cowbells will be rung in unison throughout. It is marvelous and deafening.

Its only loud if you don't have one. Also, tradition is you don't buy your own.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2019, 07:48 PM
So, did this guy make it to the game?