PDA

View Full Version : Elitedawg Family: Time to Step Up & Help a Fellow Bulldog Family!

Political Hack
05-02-2019, 01:42 PM
One of the things I've always loved about our university is that we truly act like a family in times of need. As I'm typing this a Bulldog family is struggling to figure out how to get affordable treatment for End Stage Kidney Disease. Rafael is the father of a Mississippi State graduate that finished first in her class a few years ago and another daughter who is graduating today!

Rafael's family is attempting to raise funds for travel costs to Peru for affordable kidney treatments. Rafael's kidney function has dropped extremely low and the trip needs to be made quickly. Because of his medical condition, he's been unable to work lately. Given the difficulty they're going through, we thought we'd throw it out to you to help raise money for the trip and to help offset some of the medical costs.

As always, Elitedawgs puts our money where our mouth is! We'll match dollar for dollar up to the first $1,000 in donations made by Elitedawgs members. When you make a donation, please post it here (or PM me with the amount if you'd like to stay anonymous).

https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8em6NTBkIJ

Thank you all in advance for your contributions. I can't imagine a better graduation gift than helping relieve some of the stress on this Bulldog family!

AROB44
05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Dialysis for End Stage Kidney Disease is covered by Medicare no matter what age the person is. As a recipient of a kidney transplant (will be 20 years this Dec), I really recommend this avenue if possible. My brother gave me one of his kidneys. If he has a family member that can and is willing to give him one of their kidneys, there is no having to be on a waiting list. The transplant center at UMMC is excellent. They should be able to discuss financial situations with him. My transplant was done at the University of South Alabama, but that center has closed since I had mine.

Political Hack
05-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Thanks Arob. I'll pass that along. Thankfully you had a brother here! I think his family (other than wife and kids) is from Central America, so that may have something to do with why he's having to travel for treatment.

AROB44
05-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Actually, Hack, a donor does not have to be a family member. They just need to be a "match". That is determined by the transplant center. Actually, you could be a donor if you "match". Just adding a little more info for you and him. Let me know if I can help. I can find the person at UMMC he would need to talk to if you want.

basedog
05-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Actually, Hack, a donor does not have to be a family member. They just need to be a "match". That is determined by the transplant center. Actually, you could be a donor if you "match". Just adding a little more info for you and him. Let me know if I can help. I can find the person at UMMC he would need to talk to if you want.

+1

Political Hack
05-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys.