PDA

View Full Version : Regional/Super and The Common Man

Pinto
05-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Just curious if the athletic department is going to help the common man out in any way if we host a regional. I know they don't want to clutter the stadium up and it may be impossible to do, but above both berms you have a wide - open concourse. Instead of having vendors there, any chance of having temporary bleachers there? You could also do this above the standing area in right field in front of the bounce houses.

StarkVegasSteve
05-02-2019, 09:31 AM
They'll sell as many tickets as the fire marshall will let us. I doubt they'd put temporary bleachers up though. It would congest the walkways pretty bad in the concourse. Now they could put them out in right field behind the SRO area because those won't be there for a regional, but I doubt they'd put them back there. I can't imagine the sightlines would be very good that far back

AlSwearengen
05-02-2019, 09:47 AM
It would be nice if they can get as many bleachers as possible without creating a mess. A regional and or super regional is going to create unprecedented interest. A team that looks to be a contender, haven’t hosted in forever it seems like, the new dude, etc. Huge crowds are a certainty. But, not being able to get a seat will keep people at home.

confucius say
05-02-2019, 10:05 AM
I wish they would take the 3 berm sections out, put chairbacks in to replace them, and just make them first come-first serve in those three sections for $15-20 a pop. They'd pay for themselves in one season.

KOdawg1
05-02-2019, 10:17 AM
I wish they would take the 3 berm sections out, put chairbacks in to replace them, and just make them first come-first serve in those three sections for $15-20 a pop. They'd pay for themselves in one season.

Yep. As great as the new stadium is, it doesn't accommodate the average fan who doesn't have season tickets.

HooverDawg
05-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Agreed.

Fred Garvin
05-02-2019, 01:20 PM

Do we know if there is a waiting list for season tickets?

Randolph Dupree
05-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Do we know if there is a waiting list for season tickets?

There is and I don't know the exact number, but I think it is already substantial.

I agree whole heartedly about removing the berms and putting in seats. In fact I think they could extend the upper decks too. There needs to be something other than the berm for GA seating. The berms are not an attractive option for many people.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2019, 03:17 PM
The stadium is awesome. It's beautiful and we don't need to clutter it up with a bunch of unattractive crap. We hit a home run with this thing and y'all want to limit it to a double or less. For the record I am NOT a season ticket holder and go to maybe 4-5 games a year tops.

confucius say
05-02-2019, 03:31 PM
The stadium is awesome. It's beautiful and we don't need to clutter it up with a bunch of unattractive crap. We hit a home run with this thing and y'all want to limit it to a double or less. For the record I am NOT a season ticket holder and go to maybe 4-5 games a year tops.

I am a season tix holder and go to several games and others have used my seats for almost all of the games I can't attend.

But I'm not trying to clutter it up. I don't want bleachers etc.. but I think replacing the 3 berm sections with general admission chairbacks would look better, and charging $15-20 a seat for each game would make more money than the current set up. Berms suck and are uncomfortable.

It is really a no brainer. You would still have all of the standing room only areas that exists now.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2019, 03:36 PM
I am a season tix holder and go to several games and others have used my seats for almost all of the games I can't attend.

But I'm not trying to clutter it up. I don't want bleachers etc.. but I think replacing the 3 berm sections with general admission chairbacks would look better, and charging $15-20 a seat for each game would make more money than the current set up. Berms suck and are uncomfortable.

It is really a no brainer. You would still have all of the standing room only areas that exists now.

The berms are an integral part of the home run. This stadium has personality and character. It's not some sterile cram as many seats as possible usual stadium. Leave it alone. We knocked it out of the park and y'all want to chance screwing it up.

RocketDawg
05-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Before the north endzone was completed, they'd put in folding chairs in Davis Wade for overflow games (like Alabama, Auburn at times).

RocketDawg
05-02-2019, 03:40 PM
The berms are an integral part of the home run. This stadium has personality and character. It's not some sterile cram as many seats as possible usual stadium. Leave it alone. We knocked it out of the park and y'all want to chance screwing it up.

Stadiums with berms seems to be the popular thing now. If it's a fad, it'll go away.

Are the berms real grass or plastic turf?

HooverDawg
05-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Easy to say for someone who doesn't attend any games.

DawgNsuds
05-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Stadiums with berms seems to be the popular thing now. If it's a fad, it'll go away.

Real Grass

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Real grass. They look great.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Easy to say for someone who doesn't attend any games.

I believe I said I DO go to a few. I'm the exact kind of fan that uses general admission. Leave the place alone. It's fantastic.

Homedawg
05-02-2019, 10:08 PM
The only place you could possibly put bleachers is beyond right field and not even sure hats feasible. But it's not happening so just go early or stand. We had bleachers and everyone bitched. Now we don't and everyone complains.

confucius say
05-02-2019, 11:14 PM
I believe I said I DO go to a few. I'm the exact kind of fan that uses general admission. Leave the place alone. It's fantastic.

When you go do you always sit on the berms?

confucius say
05-02-2019, 11:16 PM
The only place you could possibly put bleachers is beyond right field and not even sure hats feasible. But it's not happening so just go early or stand. We had bleachers and everyone bitched. Now we don't and everyone complains.

Bleachers look bad. Berms are uncomfortable. No grown man wants to go sit on a berm.

Todd4State
05-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Bleachers look bad. Berms are uncomfortable. No grown man wants to go sit on a berm.

This where I am on this too. I never liked the berms even on the renderings. I'll be honest- I don't like the berms now and that's literally the only part of the stadium I do not care for. During the Regionals and hopefully Super Regionals it is going to be a hot mess mosh pit.

I also did not like the bleachers either- and they were odd looking compared to the massive looking grandstand when compared to the bleachers.

I wish that they had just put seats in where the berms are and like someone said just designate those as permanent general admission which would solve the problem of the fan that lives in Jackson and can just make one weekend series a year and wants to bring his family of four to the game.

Dudy Noble doesn't need berm to make it look unique looking or give it character. The entire outfield has that covered and then some.

Pinto
05-03-2019, 07:43 AM
Just to clarify I wasn't talking about taking the berms out when I started this thread. I think they are fine except when we get into some (not all) sec series and postseason. I was just wanting temporary seating for the postseason.
Also, I wish the bulldog club would only give credit to people buying tickets when the ticket is scanned at the game. I think that would solve a lot of problems. Another option might be, you get x points when you buy the tickets and x additional points when the tickets are used. This would help with the resale of tickets and be a better tracker. I don't want people buying tickets for the regional and then not using them (but getting points, and the grandstand looking empty like it often does) when you have me and my 3 kids dying to go.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 07:57 AM
When you go do you always sit on the berms?

Nope, you can nearly always get a seat. I'd rather stand if I don't have a seat. Lots of people use the berms though. The reason we don't have bleachers is they look cheap and they were nearly always all but empty. The berms on the other hand add something to the look of the park even if they are empty.

basedog
05-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Lots of kids in the berms. Doesn't bother me one way or the other nor do they take away from the best college baseball stadium in the USA.

No for bleachers.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Some of our fans would complain about the paper the check is printed on if they won the Powerball. Hilarious.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 08:02 AM
This where I am on this too. I never liked the berms even on the renderings. I'll be honest- I don't like the berms now and that's literally the only part of the stadium I do not care for. During the Regionals and hopefully Super Regionals it is going to be a hot mess mosh pit.

I also did not like the bleachers either- and they were odd looking compared to the massive looking grandstand when compared to the bleachers.

I wish that they had just put seats in where the berms are and like someone said just designate those as permanent general admission which would solve the problem of the fan that lives in Jackson and can just make one weekend series a year and wants to bring his family of four to the game.

Dudy Noble doesn't need berm to make it look unique looking or give it character. The entire outfield has that covered and then some.

This.

MedDawg
05-03-2019, 08:04 AM

I like the berms as "Dudy Noble has something for everyone", but we don't need three. I wonder if the tiered berm was meant for general admission grilling like the LF tiered berm at OM, but no one at Dudy Noble brings grills on our tiers (and they may even be banned). So the tiered berm at Dudy Noble just has people sitting at the end of each tier and there's a lot of wasted space.

I have no idea if expanding the upper and lower decks a section or two on each end is doable from a cost point of view, but it would certainly help alleviate a lot of these complaints. Keep the RF berm by the plaza.

I estimate each upper and lower section together will add about 1,000-1,200 seats. So adding an upper and lower section down the first base line and two uppers/one lower down the third base line would add up to 2,500 seats. Not accounting for the reduction in berm capacity.

Dudy Noble would look even better with expansion of the grandstands on each end, but there may be too many fixed costs for such a 'small' expansion. If it costs too much to add the uppers, then just replacing the two closest berms with chairbacks would add some capacity and a LOT more fan comfort. However, it would not look as good as adding uppers and lowers and might look a little weird with the lowers extending out without uppers.

I'm not against temporary bleachers for the regionals.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Nope, you can nearly always get a seat. I'd rather stand if I don't have a seat. Lots of people use the berms though. The reason we don't have bleachers is they look cheap and they were nearly always all but empty. The berms on the other hand add something to the look of the park even if they are empty.

So you don't choose to sit on the berms? Exactly. Nobody does. People sit there because that is their only option. Every person that I've offered chairbacks too, including those with kids, has taken them instead of staying on the berms.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Lots of kids in the berms. Doesn't bother me one way or the other nor do they take away from the best college baseball stadium in the USA.

No for bleachers.

If/when you go, would you choose to sit on the berm then over chairbacks?

Agree on no bleachers.

deadheaddawg
05-03-2019, 08:58 AM
The most important thing to me is having an elite baseball program. This stadium no doubt helps. So I put the need of the program over the need of my family.

Having said that, as a parent of 3 kids and with a wife that has back issues, I feel our baseball program has grown passed my family. I used to go to a couple of SEC series a year.....now I watch them on TV.

I went to games all the time as a kid...Will my kids grow up to love state baseball like I did? Is watching it on TV enough to capture the magic? Baseball is magically in person. The sights, sounds, sunshine.

I wish they would figure something out. 3 berms is not needed for uniqueness. We could probably figure out a way to add additional GA seating and keep this place amazing.

But again, I want an elite program. I know that I am not an elite money doner, so I understand I come second. I'm ok with that. I rather watch National Championships on TV than I would average teams in person

DawgNsuds
05-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Also, I wish the bulldog club would only give credit to people buying tickets when the ticket is scanned at the game. I think that would solve a lot of problems. Another option might be, you get x points when you buy the tickets and x additional points when the tickets are used.

I'm continually amazed that this line of thinking perpetuates, "punish the season ticket holders" movement is asinine. These type of venues would not be available if not for those that year in, year out buy tickets and donate to the Bulldog Club. $10 GA tickets do not create a Dudy Noble. I am sensitive to needing GA areas, and every game try give my Chair backs to someone that will use them. And yes I give them away, though I am at almost every game . See I am one of those that are often targeted. I have a place in the lounge along with the Double Play, so I have sat in my seats maybe 10 minutes all year long, but I actively always try and place butts in my seats.

Again, I fully support creating a family friendly GA area that supports the young family that can't make but one to two games a year, but enough with targeting the Season Ticket holders, its not a logical argument.

HooverDawg
05-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Noone is advocating for bleachers. Pretty much everyone I talk to is advocating for more chairbacks instead of the berms, however.

Pinto
05-03-2019, 09:25 AM
I'm continually amazed that this line of thinking perpetuates, "punish the season ticket holders" movement is asinine. These type of venues would not be available if not for those that year in, year out buy tickets and donate to the Bulldog Club. $10 GA tickets do not create a Dudy Noble. I am sensitive to needing GA areas, and every game try give my Chair backs to someone that will use them. And yes I give them away, though I am at almost every game . See I am one of those that are often targeted. I have a place in the lounge along with the Double Play, so I have sat in my seats maybe 10 minutes all year long, but I actively always try and place butts in my seats.

Again, I fully support creating a family friendly GA area that supports the young family that can't make but one to two games a year, but enough with targeting the Season Ticket holders, its not a logical argument.

How are you targeted? No one, I repeat NO ONE, should have a complaint with season ticket holders who use their tickets or in your case are gracious enough to give them away. It's the continued problem of people buying tickets and not using them. I have 12 season tickets to football and the guy next to me has 6 but only comes to one game a year, and sells the rest of the games on stubhub. I never know who is going to sit by me. However, the tickets are getting used.

Go look at the ticket exchange on here. People are always looking for tickets but you never see a reply. Yet, you see empty seats. That's what folks don't like. That's the problem that we must fix. Heck the university could double dip on a resale market for those unused seats. Sell them for $10 or $20 and split half back to the seat holder or give them points.

I guess that is what frustrates me. We have so many possible solutions to fix the problem, but no one is working towards a solution.

Randolph Dupree
05-03-2019, 09:28 AM

You, my friend, are a rarity and I think we all wish there were more that did the same. I do the same with my football tickets. I make sure my seats are occupied by MSU fans.

I think that IF they would put GA chair backs in you would see season ticket sales for GA tickets increase. I would buy them for sure. It would become an economic thing at that point. For instance, for my family of four it cost me about $300-$400 a series to purchase the leftover chair backs, we try to make multiples every year if we can but we aren't going if we can't get chairbacks. If I could get GA season tickets and have a decent chance of getting a seat (not necessarily a guarantee) I'd do it in a heartbeat. There are a lot of folks like us, where it didn't make sense to spend the money to get season chairbacks because of young kids (I.e. my kids will just be getting out of the house when the 10-year reservation ends...so we really wouldn't get the benefit). Heck they could even market them as something like "Premium GA seating" and charge an extra $100-$200 per seat...or do it like football and require a donation. Lots of folks would do this.

If you ever want to give those tickets away or sell them just DM me...

SheltonChoked
05-03-2019, 09:37 AM

They would "pay for themselves" alright.... With season tickets....

But to do it in one season you better add a 0 to your per game number...

Assume you added a 1,000 seats ( which is way too big a number. At 40 games, (also too big a number) selling them all at $20 each is $800,000

It's going to cost more than that to rip out the berms and put in new chairback seats....

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 09:37 AM
So you don't choose to sit on the berms? Exactly. Nobody does. People sit there because that is their only option. Every person that I've offered chairbacks too, including those with kids, has taken them instead of staying on the berms.

Of course they do. We built the finest college baseball facility in the country and we have people complaining about it. MSU fans just can't help themselves. How much are you going to raise the GA price to pay for what you want? It's going to have to be a lot more than what you suggested.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Assume you added a 1,000 seats ( which is way too big a number. At 40 games, (also too big a number) selling them all at $20 each is $800,000

It's going to cost more than that to rip out the berms and put in new chairback seats....

Exactly.

DawgNsuds
05-03-2019, 09:50 AM
That's why I said "often targeted", previous post have suggested various ways of punishment for Season Ticket Holders that weren't in their seats. Not you per se.

Also I wonder if the Club Levels sometimes give a false impression of available seating, those areas have seating for those Club Members who often float between the Club and seating areas. Just an observation.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 10:02 AM

You could do it for a million easy. So two seasons at most.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Of course they do. We built the finest college baseball facility in the country and we have people complaining about it. MSU fans just can't help themselves. How much are you going to raise the GA price to pay for what you want? It's going to have to be a lot more than what you suggested.

Says the person who is not willing to sit on the berms.

By all means, let's not listen to our fans who are overwhelmingly begging for a way to come to the game and sit in a chairback. All the talk about lower than expected crowds last weekend, people in this thread are telling you why. Nobody wants to sit on a berm when they can watch on tv.

SheltonChoked
05-03-2019, 10:18 AM
You could do it for a million easy. So two seasons at most.

LOL...

https://media.tenor.com/images/df25bc8489e9868e11a4387740b6e1b5/tenor.gif

You are funny.... Tell me another...

You think it's cheaper to retrofit and demolish...

Or, you think the price to install seats is $1,000,000 for 1,000 seats.... or $1,000 a seat.... The physical seat, without all the earth and concrete work about that price... again, you left out a 0. It's 14,000 per sparking spot to build a parking garage...

Here is a link to aluminium bleacher prices... for $500-$1,000 per seat.... https://www.stadiumbleachers.com/stadium-owners/FAQs

It might be $1-1.5 million per section for a lower level expansion...

And my math assumed 40 home games... completely sold out all $20 GA....

How many weekday games need that GA space?

More realistic math on it is 1000 seats x 7 games x $20 per ticket... $140,000 /per season extra income....

Or would our AD sell them as season tickets with $1,500/seat up front and 15x the income???

Which would you do?

confucius say
05-03-2019, 10:47 AM
LOL...

Or, you think the price to install seats is $1,000,000 for 1,000 seats.... or $1,000 a seat.... The physical seat, without all the earth and concrete work about that price... again, you left out a 0. It's 14,000 per sparking spot to build a parking garage...

Here is a link to aluminium bleacher prices... for $500-$1,000 per seat.... https://www.stadiumbleachers.com/stadium-owners/FAQs

More realistic math on it is 1000 seats x 7 games x $20 per ticket... $140,000 /per season extra income....

Or would our AD sell them as season tickets with $1,500/seat up front and 15x the income???

Which would you do?

1000 seats x 7 games? So you think only 7000 people will sit on the berms in an entire season? There was half that last weekend alone. There will be 20k butts on those berms this season easy, and that's not counting postseason. At $20 a pop that's $400,000. Regular season only. Then the people who don't want to pay the $20 can keep standing room only status.

Even using your numbers of 1.25 million a section (I'll defer to you on that), that's 9 seasons to pay it off. Which is a faster pace than we are set to pay off the entire stadium as is.

Financing is not the issue. Cahills article this morning quoted Cohen as saying he loves the berm layout. He is sensitive to the need for more access to chairbacks though, per himself.

basedog
05-03-2019, 11:48 AM
If/when you go, would you choose to sit on the berm then over chairbacks?

Agree on no bleachers.

I have chairback seats, I would stand if need be, if my only option was berms, then it's berm seating for me.

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2019, 12:32 PM
I think we could probably do away with the berms down the right field line and keep just the one down the left field line putting seats down that right field line. But as stated by Shelton, if we can sell them as season tickets then that's what we're going to do. We're not going to build them as GA seating because that loses money on those midweek games where's there's 3000 people there. They want seats that will be paid for no matter who's sitting in them. They'd be great for the big weekends, but I still feel like even with big weekends we'll probably come out in the red on them. Because remember we don't get but a small percentage of the gate for a regional/super regional and it depends on the season on how many big weekends you have.

Homedawg
05-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Noone is advocating for bleachers. Pretty much everyone I talk to is advocating for more chairbacks instead of the berms, however.

There are plenty on here that want bleachers. They prefer chairbacks. But chairbacks cost money to build and GA tickets won't pay for it. They just won't. I don't care how anyone tries to spin the math.

Homedawg
05-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Look at the number of people at least 20 of our games. Midweek and early season weekends. They would hardly even sell a ticket. Hell the midweek games cost $2 to get into now.

Lord McBuckethead
05-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Yep. As great as the new stadium is, it doesn't accommodate the average fan who doesn't have season tickets.

Yeah, no 17n shit. Cannot believe they have literally zero fixed seats for general admission. How the 17 does that happen.

Lord McBuckethead
05-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Look at the number of people at least 20 of our games. Midweek and early season weekends. They would hardly even sell a ticket. Hell the midweek games cost $2 to get into now.

Then all seats should be open after the mid 2nd. if someone comes in late with a ticket, you have to move. Simple for 95% for all of our home games.

Lord McBuckethead
05-03-2019, 01:10 PM
LOL...

Which would you do?

You could just take all the money we are about to waste on the crappy design of the Hump and spend it on baseball. Then save up money to build an entirely new Hump.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Then all seats should be open after the mid 2nd. if someone comes in late with a ticket, you have to move. Simple for 95% for all of our home games.

I would be all for this too. Maybe after the 2nd or mid 3, but yea, the point remains. I would have no problem with someone in my seats if I'm 45 minutes late, and I think 99.9% would get up and move without a problem if I showed up.

Bottom line is we need to make it easier for non season ticket holders to sit in a chairback on a per game basis. There are a thousand empty chairbacks every game. It's stupid and keeps people from coming.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 01:34 PM
I would be all for this too. Maybe after the 2nd or mid 3, but yea, the point remains. I would have no problem with someone in my seats if I'm 45 minutes late, and I think 99.9% would get up and move without a problem if I showed up.

Bottom line is we need to make it easier for non season ticket holders to sit in a chairback on a per game basis. There are a thousand empty chairbacks every game. It's stupid and keeps people from coming.

Y'all know they already do this right? Lots of revealing stuff in this thread.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 01:38 PM
There are plenty on here that want bleachers. They prefer chairbacks. But chairbacks cost money to build and GA tickets won't pay for it. They just won't. I don't care how anyone tries to spin the math.

There is a huge demand for general admission chairbacks and people are willing to pay. You could make back the 3.75 million it would cost to chairback the 3 berm sections relatively quickly. I sold my 4 sat uga tix for $100 each and both fri and Sunday Bama for $50 each. Sold every midweek for $10-12 each, and given away several games to people I know. The demand is huge.

Moreover, we could raise 3 million in a year easy if we really wanted to do it. The Problem is we don't, so the average fan is shut out from chairbacks.

confucius say
05-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Y'all know they already do this right? Lots of revealing stuff in this thread.

No they do not. Have you been to any sec weekend games? The person checks your ticket the whole game. At least the people who have been ushers leading into our section. Granted, they are not very thorough. But they make us show our ticket.

DawgNsuds
05-03-2019, 03:59 PM
I think we could probably do away with the berms down the right field line and keep just the one down the left field line putting seats down that right field line. But as stated by Shelton, if we can sell them as season tickets then that's what we're going to do. We're not going to build them as GA seating because that loses money on those midweek games where's there's 3000 people there. They want seats that will be paid for no matter who's sitting in them. They'd be great for the big weekends, but I still feel like even with big weekends we'll probably come out in the red on them. Because remember we don't get but a small percentage of the gate for a regional/super regional and it depends on the season on how many big weekends you have.

I think this quote from the Baseball America Article posted will pretty much negate this happening

"I love the plaza, I love the way the outfield fence curves, he said. You're on the field in the berms and you're sitting right on ground level. That's my favorite thing about this facility."
`John Cohen

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2019, 07:47 PM
No they do not. Have you been to any sec weekend games? The person checks your ticket the whole game. At least the people who have been ushers leading into our section. Granted, they are not very thorough. But they make us show our ticket.

Yes. Sunday games. I've never been checked.