PDA

View Full Version : Florida freshman QB transfer

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2019, 01:39 PM
So do we know if Joe Mo is swiping right on this kid? What are the chances he swipes right on Dear Ole State. Or has this guy already have a school In mind.

http://https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-freshman-qb-jalon-jones-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-after-enrolling-early-report-says/ (http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-freshman-qb-jalon-jones-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-after-enrolling-early-report-says/)

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 01:44 PM
The last thing we need is another Dan Mullen offense QB.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2019, 02:01 PM
True ..... “doesn’t fit our system”

Good luck with that. As I said, State has never been very successful recruiting top notch QBs. Better get the best athlete you can, adjust the play calling and play defense

But back to reality. You are correct.

thf24
05-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Good luck with that. As I said, State has never been very successful recruiting top notch QBs. Better get the best athlete you can, adjust the play calling and play defense

Not sure where this idea came from that Moorhead's system needs an elite or "top notch" QB. McSorley was a 3-star recruit.

As far as Jones, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure as a recruit he was said to be a pretty good passer despite the dual threat tag and being recruited by Dan Mullen. Don't see why we'd push for a redshirt freshman transfer QB though.

Jack Lambert
05-01-2019, 02:16 PM
So do we know if Joe Mo is swiping right on this kid? What are the chances he swipes right on Dear Ole State. Or has this guy already have a school In mind.

http://https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-freshman-qb-jalon-jones-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-after-enrolling-early-report-says/ (http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-freshman-qb-jalon-jones-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-after-enrolling-early-report-says/)

If we have spots open, I say fill them. If he works out great! If not no harm.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2019, 02:19 PM
If he's open to playing WR sure.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Will Rogers isn't what the recruiting sites refer to as a "top notch" or "elite" QB but he fits JoeMo offenses perfectly.

Dawg61
05-01-2019, 02:28 PM
He'd be behind KT, Maden and Schrader initially on the depth chart. Sounds like a good player and great athlete though and we always need those.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Will Rogers isn't what the recruiting sites refer to as a "top notch" or "elite" QB but he fits JoeMo offenses perfectly.

Here's another very frustrating thing about MSU football for me.

This "we can't get QB's and we have to get athletes that play QB" thing.

In the meantime I see Gardner Minchew at the Governor's Cup wearing a MSU t-shirt, laughing it up with Mangum, and all the while we had to sit back and watch Nick Fitzgerald miss wide open receivers, throw screens at 100 MPH at receivers, get suspended, call out our fans on Twitter- but hey he fits our system and does what MSU football is supposed to do which is hand it off and run the option 50 times a game.

Not directed at Maroonthirteen. Because you aren't wrong about us attracting top notch QB's. But it's the attitude of some of our more vocal fans in general about it.

And IYOK- give me a QB like Will Rogers any day. We need QB's like him that can lead and complete passes. Instead of trying to take some athlete and trying to teach him everything about passing in five years when the other QB's are at least five years ahead at that time.

Johnson85
05-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Damn. He made it 15 practices before applying to transfer. Must not have liked that new hampshire charm.**

Lord McBuckethead
05-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Well Fitz should have cut his hair, the entire season would have been different with a mohawk.

Jack Lambert
05-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Well Fitz should have cut his hair, the entire season would have been different with a mohawk.

Damn right!

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2019, 03:26 PM
It isn’t my attitude. it’s more of an observation from 30 years of watching State football.

I haven’t recruited a day for MSU. So I don’t know the details of why Minchew, McNair or Reggie Collier or Bret Farve didn’t wear maroon. However the fact is they didn’t. So.... Moorhead will be doing a helluva job if he finds diamonds in MS, gets them to State and develops them into a bon-a-fide QB.

Maybe he will. However if he can’t develop KT any better after a full year in his system, I’m afraid Joe needs Joe Montana talent to have a “guy that fits his system”. I just don’t believe for one second a guy that has been a high school football star at QB and in college .... 3 years.... hasn’t picked up the speed of the college game and reads and routes. I’m very afraid unless we land 4-5 Star QB transfers, we are looking at the Gulf Coast offense production numbers for a few years.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
It isn’t my attitude. it’s more of an observation from 30 years of watching State football.

I haven’t recruited a day for MSU. So I don’t know the details of why Minchew, McNair or Reggie Collier or Bret Farve didn’t wear maroon. However the fact is they didn’t. So.... Moorhead will be doing a helluva job if he finds diamonds in MS, gets them to State and develops them into a bon-a-fide QB.

Maybe he will. However if he can’t develop KT any better after a full year in his system, I’m afraid Joe needs Joe Montana talent to have a “guy that fits his system”. I just don’t believe for one second a guy that has been a high school football star at QB and in college .... 3 years.... hasn’t picked up the speed of the college game and reads and routes. I’m very afraid unless we land 4-5 Star QB transfers, we are looking at the Gulf Coast offense production numbers for a few years.

None of those guys you named were top notch QB's in recruiting.

Trace McSorley wasn't close to a joe Montana type but he was a 3 Time All Big 10 & All American.

KT didn't have a problem picking up the offense this spring or the reads. KT problem this spring & since he's stepped on campus has been accuracy. He knows where to go with the ball he just can't always put it there.

I don't know why our fans think only 4 & 5* QB's are accurate guys who can read defenses (see my Will Rogers comment).

KB21
05-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Again, this is not an accurate statement. Trace McSorley was essentially a record setter at Penn State his two years under Joe, and he wasn't an all world, elite NFL prospect. The biggest difference between Trace and Nick, outside of Nick's size and arm strength, is that Trace was a good decision maker within the offense. Joe doesn't need an elite passer for his offense, but he does need a quarterback that makes good decisions with the football and understand when he should throw it and when he should keep it.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 03:38 PM

I don't believe that what we are running is football calculus. The basis of Joe's offense is the go route and that's in every offense out there. Trace McSorley was no Joe Montana and is probably going to be an ATH like Taysom Hill. Really we just need someone that is more of a passer than a tank running the ball. Ole Miss is in the same state as MSU and they have been able to find decent QB's even out of the MS JUCO leagues. USM has a decent QB- also out of the MS JUCO ranks although he is from Mississippi too. A lot of the MS JUCO's are able to run pass first offenses and a lot of those QB's are from Mississippi.

The reason MSU has trouble is because all of our coaches up until we got Joe are primarily run first coaches. Even though Croom's offense is supposed to be traditionally pass first and Dan was a good QB coach- both were still power run offenses essentially. If everyone else can get a functional passing QB, and heck MSU produced one of the better QB's in the NFL right now- there is no reason IMO why MSU can't get one other than traditional bias.

And here's the frustrating thing about that traditional bias- there are people that say that's the only way that MSU can win in football but at the same time it hasn't yielded results better than 10 wins in a season and at best seems to average 8 wins a season. Personally, I don't believe we can win or do better than that IF we continue to demand that we play football that way. It's just too easy for someone like a Saban or Smart to stop that. I'm not saying that we need to be full on Air Raid either- we need to be more balanced.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Trace McSorley wasn't close to a joe Montana type but he was a 3 Time All Big 10 & All American.

KT didn't have a problem picking up the offense this spring or the reads. KT problem this spring & since he's stepped on campus has been accuracy. He knows where to go with the ball he just can't always put it there.

I don't know why our fans think only 4 & 5* QB's are accurate guys who can read defenses (see my Will Rogers comment).

Even Joe Montana wasn't considered a top notch QB prospect coming into the draft as well. But the thing about him was he was extremely freakishly accurate and athletic enough to throw on the run accurately. MSU and this offense just needs someone earthly accurate.

thf24
05-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Joe doesn't need an elite passer for his offense, but he does need a quarterback that makes good decisions with the football and understand when he should throw it and when he should keep it.

I'd add to that enough accuracy to consistently complete passes to wide open receivers, but even then I don't think many among us understand how common that skill set is when the requirement of running the ball 20-25 times a game in the SEC isn't in the mix.

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2019, 04:01 PM
I don't believe that what we are running is football calculus. The basis of Joe's offense is the go route and that's in every offense out there. Trace McSorley was no Joe Montana and is probably going to be an ATH like Taysom Hill. Really we just need someone that is more of a passer than a tank running the ball. Ole Miss is in the same state as MSU and they have been able to find decent QB's even out of the MS JUCO leagues. USM has a decent QB- also out of the MS JUCO ranks although he is from Mississippi too. A lot of the MS JUCO's are able to run pass first offenses and a lot of those QB's are from Mississippi.

The reason MSU has trouble is because all of our coaches up until we got Joe are primarily run first coaches. Even though Croom's offense is supposed to be traditionally pass first and Dan was a good QB coach- both were still power run offenses essentially. If everyone else can get a functional passing QB, and heck MSU produced one of the better QB's in the NFL right now- there is no reason IMO why MSU can't get one other than traditional bias.

And here's the frustrating thing about that traditional bias- there are people that say that's the only way that MSU can win in football but at the same time it hasn't yielded results better than 10 wins in a season and at best seems to average 8 wins a season. Personally, I don't believe we can win or do better than that IF we continue to demand that we play football that way. It's just too easy for someone like a Saban or Smart to stop that. I'm not saying that we need to be full on Air Raid either- we need to be more balanced.

Tyler Russell, Nick Mullen, Minshew, and Wes Carroll all would have done well passing in Joe's offense.

Gutter Cobreh
05-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Can we just sticky a QB thread at the top of the main page? We seem to be beating the proverbial dead horse at this point.

I'm not saying it isn't a topic worth debating, but it seems like every thread devolves into a Fitz/KT/JoMo offense debate. This thread was started about a kid transferring from UF and our potential interest.

bulldawg28
05-01-2019, 04:52 PM

If accuracy his problem that comes from poor footwork and coaching teaching bad technique.

RiverCityDawg
05-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Joe has said he wants a guy that can beat you with his arm, legs and brain. I believe he checks two of those boxes, but is Rogers a legit running threat? McSorely is held up a the prototypical JoMo QB and he was a 4.5 guy. We need a competent passer of course, but he has to be a legitimate running threat to make the RPOs work.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2019, 05:13 PM
If accuracy his problem that comes from poor footwork and coaching teaching bad technique.

Coaching can only take you so far in accuracy.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Joe has said he wants a guy that can beat you with his arm, legs and brain. I believe he checks two of those boxes, but is Rogers a legit running threat? McSorely is held up a the prototypical JoMo QB and he was a 4.5 guy. We need a competent passer of course, but he has to be a legitimate running threat to make the RPOs work.

Rogers is a good enough runner. He's not explosive but he's good enough.

BiscuitEater
05-01-2019, 07:44 PM
He'd be behind KT, Maden and Schrader initially on the depth chart. Sounds like a good player and great athlete though and we always need those.

Leaving Florida after 1 semester, 15 practices .. don't think he wants to sit behind 3 QBs at State.

Pass

Dawg61
05-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Can we just sticky a QB thread at the top of the main page? We seem to be beating the proverbial dead horse at this point.

I'm not saying it isn't a topic worth debating, but it seems like every thread devolves into a Fitz/KT/JoMo offense debate. This thread was started about a kid transferring from UF and our potential interest.

A thread about a QB transfer and you don't want everyone talking about our Qbs or coach?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6YglDndxKdCNw7q8/giphy.gif

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 09:58 PM

I think it's different with Joe when he is talking about legs. He wants someone mobile enough to run the option some, scramble, and throw on the run. Dan wants Tim Tebow.

Jarius
05-02-2019, 05:38 AM

I watched some highlights of Will on HUDL the other day. A few things popped out to me.

- He is tough. Guy will tuck it in there and take a pop running the ball. He is not blazing fast but he is not slow either. He's faster than Tyler Russell but slower than Dak
- He throws a very accurate, catchable pass.
- He is a fiery leader on the field. I love the fire he played with on his highlights
- Mingo is going to be an NFL receiver

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
05-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Wasn't this guy committed to us and decommitted when Mullen left?

Duckdog
05-02-2019, 07:58 AM
A thread about a QB transfer and you don't want everyone talking about our Qbs or coach?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6YglDndxKdCNw7q8/giphy.gif

Boy are you going to be pizzed when KT doesn't start

Political Hack
05-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Coaching can only take you so far in accuracy.

Agree. You can teach mechanics and footwork all day long, but there's huge mental parts too (e.g., knowing when to fire it and when to float it). Fitz had the tools, he just didn't have that instant decision making process that allowed him to place the ball on the time where it needed to be.

Dawg61
05-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Boy are you going to be pizzed when KT doesn't start

Not following?

Dawg61
05-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Non football related rumor circulating twitter/sec rant on Jones right now

Bass Chaser
05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Non football related rumor circulating twitter/sec rant on Jones right now

Yep, 2 sexual assaults and if true he'll never play in the SEC. I don't know about anywhere else.

msstate7
05-02-2019, 08:18 PM
Yep, 2 sexual assaults and if true he'll never play in the SEC. I don't know about anywhere else.

Liberty and freeze believe in 2nd chances

dantheman4248
05-03-2019, 04:24 AM

Your 2021 Heisman and National Champion, Auburn’s Jalon Jones everyone.

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Liberty and freeze believe in 2nd chances

Hugh Freeze just sent Jones a text. “Meet me in Tampa.”

bulldawg28
05-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Wasn't this guy committed to us and decommitted when Mullen left?

Yep